Anybody hydro dip?

rucka356
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 2:49pm
Been watching YouTube videos, it looks so easy. I've been thinking about doing this to add some character to the plastic on my polaris ranger. Anybody have experience doing it themselves? I got a quote for $1,500 to do my plastic and dash. That seems insanely high considering the film and materials would be less than $250. I think I will practice on some old deal laying around and do it myself.
|
7/8/2017 3:20am
Man, I am really out of the loop. I thought this was gonna be about some kind of new-fangled method of dipping Skoal.
MR. X
7/8/2017 6:15am
It's not very durable
7/8/2017 6:23am
^^^so did I. Laughing
Elsibro, people reading this probably think we're kidding, but I really had no idea. Until reading this, I'd never heard of hydro dipping.

I dipped Cope and then Skoal for decades, so my mind went there. I was thinking, "I used to put a little whiskey in my Cope...wonder if that's what he means?"

The Shop

7/8/2017 6:24am
I just read up on it. Turns out there's more than a few places here in J-ville that do that sort of thing.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/8/2017 7:43am
^^^so did I. Laughing
Elsibro, people reading this probably think we're kidding, but I really had no idea. Until reading this, I'd never heard of hydro dipping. I dipped Cope...
Elsibro, people reading this probably think we're kidding, but I really had no idea. Until reading this, I'd never heard of hydro dipping.

I dipped Cope and then Skoal for decades, so my mind went there. I was thinking, "I used to put a little whiskey in my Cope...wonder if that's what he means?"
Ha ha ha, at my highschool there was 10 clear spit bottles on desks in every class everyday. Cope with a shot of jack. That would offend the hell out of todays specials. We joke and call dippers funk lip and cig smokers funk lung these days.
rucka356
7/8/2017 11:32am
MR. X wrote:
It's not very durable
everything I have been reading has said it is durable as long as you put a good poly coat over. my neighbor owns a body shop, I was going to have him put a good automotive clear coat over it when done.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/8/2017 11:52am
rucka356 wrote:
Been watching YouTube videos, it looks so easy. I've been thinking about doing this to add some character to the plastic on my polaris ranger. Anybody...
Been watching YouTube videos, it looks so easy. I've been thinking about doing this to add some character to the plastic on my polaris ranger. Anybody have experience doing it themselves? I got a quote for $1,500 to do my plastic and dash. That seems insanely high considering the film and materials would be less than $250. I think I will practice on some old deal laying around and do it myself.
If you can do it yourself give it a try but at 1500$ to get it done fuck that. Would probably be cheaper to get it wrapped from a local graphic/sign shop.

I agree that the process looks fairly simple. I've seen people dip helmets, gas tanks, fenders, etc. Not sure how durable it is but I do remember seeing a thread in the moto section where a member hydro dipped an FMF shorty with a carbon fiber look. Some people thought it was real carbon.

You might want to search for that thread and contact him to see how the process was and if it's durable.
rucka356
7/8/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 12:35pm
rucka356 wrote:
Been watching YouTube videos, it looks so easy. I've been thinking about doing this to add some character to the plastic on my polaris ranger. Anybody...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If you can do it yourself give it a try but at 1500$ to get it done fuck that. Would probably be cheaper to get it...
If you can do it yourself give it a try but at 1500$ to get it done fuck that. Would probably be cheaper to get it wrapped from a local graphic/sign shop.

I agree that the process looks fairly simple. I've seen people dip helmets, gas tanks, fenders, etc. Not sure how durable it is but I do remember seeing a thread in the moto section where a member hydro dipped an FMF shorty with a carbon fiber look. Some people thought it was real carbon.

You might want to search for that thread and contact him to see how the process was and if it's durable.
Thanks Maverick- I just searched and found it. who would have thought, the search function...... smh :-)
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/8/2017 2:39pm
rucka356 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If you can do it yourself give it a try but at 1500$ to get it done fuck that. Would probably be cheaper to get it...

rucka356 wrote:
Thanks Maverick- I just searched and found it. who would have thought, the search function...... smh :-)
LOL search function is there for a reason. Glad you found it.

His silencer looks really good and from far enough you probably couldn't even tell the difference from real carbon. If you have patience to deal with it and do all the prep in advance it should go fairly well. It's a pretty cool process.

Show pics if you decide to go through with it.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/8/2017 2:49pm
For those wondering what it looks like here's MxKing809 FMF silencer hydro dipped done with a carbon fiber look.

rucka356
7/8/2017 6:06pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
LOL search function is there for a reason. Glad you found it. His silencer looks really good and from far enough you probably couldn't even tell...

His silencer looks really good and from far enough you probably couldn't even tell the difference from real carbon. If you have patience to deal with it and do all the prep in advance it should go fairly well. It's a pretty cool process.

Definitely will. Probably practice on a some cheap stuff to get the hang of it and then try my ranger plastics. The more you tube videos I watch the more I want to hurry up and do it. Too bad there's that thing called work, and I have to travel the next few weeks....
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/8/2017 6:16pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
LOL search function is there for a reason. Glad you found it. His silencer looks really good and from far enough you probably couldn't even tell...

rucka356 wrote:
Definitely will. Probably practice on a some cheap stuff to get the hang of it and then try my ranger plastics. The more you tube videos...
Definitely will. Probably practice on a some cheap stuff to get the hang of it and then try my ranger plastics. The more you tube videos I watch the more I want to hurry up and do it. Too bad there's that thing called work, and I have to travel the next few weeks....
Work tends to do that to a lot of people but on the other hand if you're travelling for work you're kind of getting paid to be on "vacation" sort of.

Practice is a good idea just don't crazy and start hydro dipping everything from your helmets, wheels, family pet lol. Could get carried away if you're having too much fun and start running out of things to hydro dip.

What look are you going for? Camo? 1 solid color?
MR. X
7/8/2017 8:27pm
MR. X wrote:
It's not very durable
rucka356 wrote:
everything I have been reading has said it is durable as long as you put a good poly coat over. my neighbor owns a body shop...
everything I have been reading has said it is durable as long as you put a good poly coat over. my neighbor owns a body shop, I was going to have him put a good automotive clear coat over it when done.
That makes sense, it was big for a bit in the archery world but everyone got sick of it coming off so easily . A clear coat would never fly on bow limbs . Post some pics once it's done .
rucka356
7/8/2017 11:11pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Work tends to do that to a lot of people but on the other hand if you're travelling for work you're kind of getting paid to...
Work tends to do that to a lot of people but on the other hand if you're travelling for work you're kind of getting paid to be on "vacation" sort of.

Practice is a good idea just don't crazy and start hydro dipping everything from your helmets, wheels, family pet lol. Could get carried away if you're having too much fun and start running out of things to hydro dip.

Going for a blue camo pattern for plastics and carbon fiber for dash.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/9/2017 2:02am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Work tends to do that to a lot of people but on the other hand if you're travelling for work you're kind of getting paid to...

rucka356 wrote:
Going for a blue camo pattern for plastics and carbon fiber for dash.
Don't forget the before and after pics.
Mini Elsinore
7/9/2017 8:13am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 3:59am
^^^so did I. Laughing
Elsibro, people reading this probably think we're kidding, but I really had no idea. Until reading this, I'd never heard of hydro dipping. I dipped Cope...

Laughing

Post a reply to: Anybody hydro dip?

The Latest