Any tips for detailing an automobile ?

JeremyK
9/5/2020 10:25am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2020 9:25am
Any of you guy do any kind of detail work ? I was specifically looking for some tips on A : a cleaner and brush of some sort for cleaning rims B: cleaning textured exterior plastic . Any other tips or advice you have is also appreciated .
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/5/2020 11:15am
Makeup brush to detail the interior.
MX45
9/5/2020 12:40pm
Those sticky gel dust picker upper things are awesome for getting into cracks and air louvers.

Toilet brush for cleaning wheels.

For windows (with tint) use ammonia free cleaner. I like to mix distilled water + vinegar + rubbing alcohol.
Use a micro fiber towel. The store bought household window cleaning products always leave a film that will collect dust over time.
plowboy
9/5/2020 2:20pm
I bought an auto vac detailing attachment for my shop vac from Wal-Mart. Has some really good small brush and nozzle attachments. I haven't found anything that will renew exterior plastics...that lasts for any length of time. Wheels...dawn and elbow grease.

I just replaced the drivers side seat base foam and cover. Holy cow, those frames are made of razor blades and fish hooks. My hands look like I stuck them in a garbage disposal.
plowboy
9/5/2020 2:24pm
MX45 wrote:
Those sticky gel dust picker upper things are awesome for getting into cracks and air louvers. Toilet brush for cleaning wheels. For windows (with tint) use...
Those sticky gel dust picker upper things are awesome for getting into cracks and air louvers.

Toilet brush for cleaning wheels.

For windows (with tint) use ammonia free cleaner. I like to mix distilled water + vinegar + rubbing alcohol.
Use a micro fiber towel. The store bought household window cleaning products always leave a film that will collect dust over time.
X2 on the vinegar and alcohol...especially on interior of Windows. The VO2 from the plastics and vent won't come off with Windex.

The Shop

JeremyK
9/5/2020 3:29pm

I've using this stuff to clean the glass and even stuff on the interior with good success.
71Fish
9/5/2020 3:56pm
Use olive oil or other nice smelling oil to wipe down the interior rather than buying expensive Armor All or other cleaners.
9/5/2020 4:09pm
Clear coat on newer vehicles is so soft I just assume pay a professional. I wash my truck regularly but a full buff/wax or paint correction if you need it is best left to someone who really really knows what they’re doing
JeremyK
9/5/2020 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2020 4:37pm
Clear coat on newer vehicles is so soft I just assume pay a professional. I wash my truck regularly but a full buff/wax or paint correction...
Clear coat on newer vehicles is so soft I just assume pay a professional. I wash my truck regularly but a full buff/wax or paint correction if you need it is best left to someone who really really knows what they’re doing
I'm just washing it and cleaning the inside.
9/5/2020 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2020 11:13pm
These drill attachments are good for cleaning, scouring & buffing. The brushes are great for pulling up dog hair embedded in carpets and upholstery too.

crowe660
Fantasy
3962nd
9/6/2020 11:40am
My daughter was gifted a Honda Pilot by a heavy smoker. Any tips on how to get rid of the smell. It's unreal.
motosmith
9/6/2020 12:00pm
crowe660 wrote:
My daughter was gifted a Honda Pilot by a heavy smoker. Any tips on how to get rid of the smell. It's unreal.
Ozone machines take the smell out of anything. 100% guaranteed to remove smoke smell. They are a little expensive to purchase but you might be able to rent one.
9/6/2020 12:52pm
71Fish wrote:
Use olive oil or other nice smelling oil to wipe down the interior rather than buying expensive Armor All or other cleaners.

DownSouth
9/6/2020 2:20pm
Chance1216 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/05/448020/s1200_D30AA6AE_AEEA_4197_A646_8BDA8ECAD67A.jpg[/img]

Ha! Make sure to have some penicillin on had to deal with the Salmonella.
9/6/2020 4:00pm
crowe660 wrote:
Ozium every morning.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
9/6/2020 7:17pm
crowe660 wrote:
Load up on taco bell and let loose in the ride. That’ll knock it out! Haha
9/6/2020 10:01pm
I use a leaf blower, to get the burger rappers,etc out of the truck. Nu car finish wax - orange bottle sold everywhere, squirt liquid silicone into the wax bottle and shake. Looks like 4 coats of clear on your paint.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
9/7/2020 9:22am
crowe660 wrote:
Buy a large can of cheap, off brand coffee, and sprinkle it on everything. The whole can, on the carpet, floor mats, put some inside the pockets on the door panel, under seats........everywhere. Roll up the windows, park it in the sun and leave closed for a couple of days. Afterwards, open all the doors and shop-vac up the mess you made. Smell should be gone for good. After you vac, leave windows down and find a shady spot for it to air-out the rest of the day. Works like a champ. Make sure you have not wet spots wherever you sprinkle the coffee grains or you'll have a stain from hell. I've had the best luck with Great Value breakfast blend from Wal Mart btw....... Good Luck!
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
9/7/2020 9:24am
Forgot to add, in extreme cases, I've had to do the process twice to get the smell eliminated. However, this has always worked for me.
JeremyK
9/7/2020 9:41am
dadofagun wrote:
Buy a large can of cheap, off brand coffee, and sprinkle it on everything. The whole can, on the carpet, floor mats, put some inside the...
Buy a large can of cheap, off brand coffee, and sprinkle it on everything. The whole can, on the carpet, floor mats, put some inside the pockets on the door panel, under seats........everywhere. Roll up the windows, park it in the sun and leave closed for a couple of days. Afterwards, open all the doors and shop-vac up the mess you made. Smell should be gone for good. After you vac, leave windows down and find a shady spot for it to air-out the rest of the day. Works like a champ. Make sure you have not wet spots wherever you sprinkle the coffee grains or you'll have a stain from hell. I've had the best luck with Great Value breakfast blend from Wal Mart btw....... Good Luck!
I would probably rather smell shit then the smell of coffee ! I have no idea how people put that shit in their mouth and swallow it LOL ,It has got to be one of the most disgusting smells ive been around ,thats coming from a guy who field dresses deer and has hit the stomach before.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
9/7/2020 9:52am
dadofagun wrote:
Buy a large can of cheap, off brand coffee, and sprinkle it on everything. The whole can, on the carpet, floor mats, put some inside the...
JeremyK wrote:
I would probably rather smell shit then the smell of coffee ! I have no idea how people put that shit in their mouth and swallow...
I would probably rather smell shit then the smell of coffee ! I have no idea how people put that shit in their mouth and swallow it LOL ,It has got to be one of the most disgusting smells ive been around ,thats coming from a guy who field dresses deer and has hit the stomach before.
The coffee smell doesn't stick around long at all. What happens, the grains of coffee actually "absorb" the smoke smell, or any other foul strong odor that has worked its way into fabric fibers. Draws it out actually...... The smell of coffee itself is mostly erased during this process. I've used this trick probably a dozen times or so with great results.
JeremyK
9/7/2020 11:27am
dadofagun wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
I would probably rather smell shit then the smell of coffee ! I have no idea how people put that shit in their mouth and swallow...
dadofagun wrote:
The coffee smell doesn't stick around long at all. What happens, the grains of coffee actually "absorb" the smoke smell, or any other foul strong odor...
The coffee smell doesn't stick around long at all. What happens, the grains of coffee actually "absorb" the smoke smell, or any other foul strong odor that has worked its way into fabric fibers. Draws it out actually...... The smell of coffee itself is mostly erased during this process. I've used this trick probably a dozen times or so with great results.
I saw at the stealership they put fans in the windows to draw air through the car .
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
9/7/2020 3:01pm
dadofagun wrote:
This is actually what truckers use to get funky smells out of reefer trailers before they get to the next shipper. Except it usually takes a couple cans. Spread all over trailer floor, shut the doors and run the reefer for 12-24 hours depending on stank.
KDXGarage
9/8/2020 12:39am
2 bucket method

Look on Youtube

Meguiars products are mostly great and easy to find locally to purchase.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
9/8/2020 6:53am
JeremyK wrote:
In that case, what you’ll wanna do is spread shit through the carpet, the door panels, inside the pockets and under the seat. Park it in the sun with the windows up for a few days. Then go ahead and give it a vacuum. Park it in a shady spot with the windows cracked a tad. BOOM! Should be good.
SEE ARE125
9/8/2020 7:13am
KDXGarage wrote:
2 bucket method

Look on Youtube

Meguiars products are mostly great and easy to find locally to purchase.
This, and buy some grit guards for your bucket. Wash in straight horizontal lines, not circles like most people say. In the event your wash mitt picks up some debris that scratches the paint, a straight horizontal scratch is far less noticeable than a bunch of swirled scratches.

If your wheels are painted, get a microfiber wheel brush instead of a bristle brush. The bristle brushes will cause micro scratches in the paint which over time will cause your wheels to look dull.

Detail brush and compressed air for the interior nooks and crannies. Q-tips work well for getting in the air vents.

Don’t put ArmorAll or any other greasy shit on your dash. It just attracts dust and causes major glare on your windshield. Just some interior detail spray to clean it and then leave it alone.

Invisible Glass for the windows.

Invest in a foam cannon and wash it in the shade. Also use an actual car wash soap, not Dawn. Dawn is a degreaser and will strip your wax. Dawn is great however if you plan on re-waxing, so you can strip all the old wax off.

I like Adam’s and Chemical Guys products. Check out each of their YouTubes for more tips. I learned a lot there.
JeremyK
9/8/2020 7:22am
JeremyK wrote:
Dirtydeeds wrote:
In that case, what you’ll wanna do is spread shit through the carpet, the door panels, inside the pockets and under the seat. Park it in...
In that case, what you’ll wanna do is spread shit through the carpet, the door panels, inside the pockets and under the seat. Park it in the sun with the windows up for a few days. Then go ahead and give it a vacuum. Park it in a shady spot with the windows cracked a tad. BOOM! Should be good.
Silly I really did laugh out loud
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/8/2020 8:45am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 9:05am
My hoses shoot pure sea water and anything metal our neighborhoods sprinklers hit disintegrates in no time. There is 200k Mercedes in my neighborhood with oxidized hoods. I painted my wifes lexus 3 times in a few years. Had to redo all my irrigation so it doesn't touch anything and barely keeps grass alive. Lol There is no way I would wash my car with it. I pay a mobile family detail team to detail them at one of my rentals and I wash my boats in the rain or on the way home at a car wash pressure wash bay. The water quality is 90 percent of the reason we are moving. I actually get hundreds of gallons of fresh water delivered regularly and collect rain water to water my animals its so bad.

Post a reply to: Any tips for detailing an automobile ?

The Latest