Any tips for a new F1 fan?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2011 9:03 PM

Got addicted to F1 a few weeks ago. The technology and racing is amazing to me. The GP's are truly the pinacle of motorsports. I love million dollar disposable race equipment.

Is there zero online coverage of current and past events? Zero youtube coverage of full races? Zero torrents other than the last race shown on speed tv? Is the US anti F1?

Any help is a appreciated.

|

8/30/2011 9:13 PM

Can't answer your questions but I do agree that F1 is something else. Go Mark Webber.

GT -v- F1 comaprison:

|

8/30/2011 9:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2011 9:50 PM

Dude, you have GOT to watch Speed live stream of practices 1 and 3, you will shit your pants. ZERO commentating, and very high quality, the only sound is the pure bliss of screaming F1 cars. The only downside is that they are at shitty hours for us, but well worth staying up for.

Here is the link: http://stream.speedtv.com/formula-one

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/primetime/formula-one

Speeds website has some pretty good coverage. http://formula-one.speedtv.com/

Ill get you some links to awesome HQ vids. I forget which site it is that has tons of killer HQ in car cams, but ill dig it up.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

8/30/2011 9:36 PM

Here it is: http://www.formula1.com/default.html

Create an account (you have to log in to see the killer vids)

once you have an account and log in go here:

http://www.formula1.com/video/

they have "race edits" and "onboard" sections for each race. That should keep you busy for awhile and you will instantly become a super fan. I hope you have a killer sound system on your computer, cranking it through my 5.1 surround is amazing.

Enjoy cool

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/30/2011 9:45 PM

Here is the main site i use for F1 news: http://www.autosport.com/f1/

oh yea, the Red Bull site has some amazing vids, you have GOT to see their simulator! it is one incredible piece of technology, will blow your mind.

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Red-Bull-Racing/001242807156063

Hopefully indy_maico chimes in, he is a full on F1 guru with some inside sources and really knows his shit.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/30/2011 9:51 PM

*sorry about that, the site is fucking up links, i fixed them.

Here is a vid of their sim:

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/31/2011 12:46 AM

Set your DVR (assuming you have one) to record "F1 Debrief" on speed. It usually airs sometime before qualifying.
They of course talk about the previous race, but most of the time hit on recent rules changes, techno stuff, and driver news.
I find it interesting anyway.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

8/31/2011 6:01 AM

http://f1-site.com/

good coverage...great photos...just a sample.

Race Photos

Monaco

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Qualifying Photos

Malaysia

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Practice Photos

Canada

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

8/31/2011 6:08 AM

Thank you for the info and the links guys! You made my day.

|

8/31/2011 6:09 AM

|

8/31/2011 6:11 AM

|

8/31/2011 6:24 AM

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/ another great site

since your just getting into F1, be sure to check out GP2...its the future of the sport, of the 24 cars on the grid, 11 of the 24 drivers are graduates of GP2.

Ive been following this French youngster for a few years now, he got a raw deal with Renault in 2009, but should be back in the seat of a F1 car next season, either with Williams or Renault. (not sure what will happen with Robert Kubica or Vitaly Petrov)

but remember this fella...Romain Grosjean.

Photo
|

8/31/2011 7:36 AM

Motor - 2.4L V-8, naturally asperated - 750hp!!

|

8/31/2011 12:19 PM

Probably a good place for this classic vid w00t

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/31/2011 12:25 PM

and another, Renault engine playing "God Save The Queen"

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

8/31/2011 12:27 PM

Homey55 wrote:

Motor - 2.4L V-8, naturally asperated - 750hp!!

750 HP is a lie.

Most are closer to 800.

Add in the KERS, and they're approaching 900.

And you forgot to mention: They only weigh 1100 lbs. w00t

|

Ask not what your country can do for you, unless you can afford a lobbyist.

8/31/2011 1:12 PM

I was just going off of the video that Red Bull posted at the new track in Texas. I've never actually run down the actual numbers and I assume they are top secret. I am a casual observer of the sport. The specs for those cars are completely unbelievable though and I can't believe the engineers can get that much out of a car!

|

8/31/2011 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2011 1:29 PM

Welcome to the club. Got to see my first F1 live this year at Silverstone. I have a whole new respect for the cars, engineers, and drivers.

|

8/31/2011 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2011 1:42 PM

I have all the races from the last 4 years on DVD, and prior to that, going back to 1985, I have them all on VHS!

Someday, I will get around to putting those oldies on DVD. I keep telling myself that.

Right!!!

I also have these going back to 1979

[LINK TO IMAGE]
That's my Christmas present to my self every year!

My missus gets me this for Christmas every year, but she only just started in Alonso's first title year. It is a nice DVD to have with a lot of footage that never makes it to TV

[LINK TO IMAGE]

You can get both of these on Amazon

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

8/31/2011 1:51 PM

Homey55 wrote:

I was just going off of the video that Red Bull posted at the new track in Texas. I've never actually run down the actual ...more

What's amazing to me, is that the rules limit the engines to 18,000 RPM as a way to limit HP.

They were turning over 20,000 RPM before the regulation change.

A NASCAR V-8 would instantly grenade at not much more than 11,000 (which I must admit is still damned impressive for a pushrod motor), and they get about the same power out of twice the displacement. (They also weigh twice as much.)

|

8/31/2011 1:58 PM

motogeezer wrote:

What's amazing to me, is that the rules limit the engines to 18,000 RPM as a way to limit HP.

They were turning over 20,000 ...more

they also have a steel roll-cage.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

8/31/2011 2:04 PM

F1 is the epitome of motor sports racing. The cars are technological wonders, and the drivers are extremely skilled. If I had 3 wishes, I'd use the first one to be a pro F-1 driver, and donate the other two to someone in need of them, because I no longer would.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

8/31/2011 2:05 PM

Homey55 wrote:

I was just going off of the video that Red Bull posted at the new track in Texas. I've never actually run down the actual ...more

motogeezer wrote:

I remember the 20,000 RPM V-12 days of not too long ago. The sound of those cars are indescribable.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

8/31/2011 2:07 PM

indy_maico wrote:

I have all the races from the last 4 years on DVD, and prior to that, going back to 1985, I have them all on VHS!

Someday, I ...more

2010 Autocourse and 2010 Review were my first purchase. That's what got me hooked. Any chance you could burn a season and um, er, send them to me? I thought following mx/sx was hard as a superfan. It is imposible to watch any actual race footage of F1 other than the live tv coverage at 6am on Sunday mornings I guess.

|

8/31/2011 2:12 PM

Homey55 wrote:

motogeezer wrote:

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

8/31/2011 4:51 PM

I may have to blow off Red Bud and Millville but I know where I will be on Nov 18th next year.

|

8/31/2011 5:53 PM

Lots of history with this sport. Here's a short piece on one of my favorites.

|

8/31/2011 7:49 PM

SethGator wrote:

they also have a steel roll-cage.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I meant the engine weighs twice as much.

Actually more like two and a half times as much.

The whole car?

I'll bet it's three or four times the weight.

|

9/1/2011 12:11 AM

Antipodean wrote:

Can't answer your questions but I do agree that F1 is something else. Go Mark Webber.

GT -v- F1 comaprison:

My God, is that for real?

|

9/1/2011 12:34 AM

Mr. G wrote:

My God, is that for real?

If your God is the God of Speed, then yes.

Here's an overlap which will give you a slightly different perspective:

|