Any surfers here?

Sluggo77
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2019 3:59am
I have never tried it but always wondered about it. I know it would be different than moto, like less intense. I mean if you fall down its just water, right?
I guess I just wonder if it is really hard to learn? I can just imagine being able to ride a wave for a long time would feel pretty sublime.
|
jemcee
7/24/2019 3:17am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 6:01am
Haha I was when I was able bodied
Growing up on the far north coast of NSW with about 10 great waves within an hours drive or so, you pretty much had to surf haha
It can be less intense but you should never underestimate the sheer power of the ocean especially in bigger waves (anything bigger than 5-6 feet can get your attention) being held down (under water) is never fun and usually by the time you find your way to the surface there's another wave ready to clean you up haha.. and water, especially 'unbroken' water can be like cement..

Yes it's super hard to learn, well not so much to just stand up, but there's way more to it, like it takes time to just figure out how to paddle out and duckdive properly and shit.. and to do anything that someone would deem impressive it's super hard and really time consuming mainly cause almost every wave is different unless you're livin in a wave paradise like the Maldives or somewhere like that, where the waves can be more consistent..

But all that said a good day of surfing can be of the most amazing experiences a human can aah experience haha I definitely miss it
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/24/2019 8:18am
I’ve been bodysurfing more than board surfing lately, After 3 knee surgery’s and 3 hip replacements I can’t jump up like I used to. Plus bodysurfing is quick and easy after work. In and out in less than hour. Trunks fins and a towel don’t take up much room in the truck. Not long rides but pretty high energy fun when the waves get over 3-4 feet.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/24/2019 8:44am
Surfing cures the soul.

The Shop

jemcee
7/24/2019 6:53pm
sumdood wrote:
I’ve been bodysurfing more than board surfing lately, After 3 knee surgery’s and 3 hip replacements I can’t jump up like I used to. Plus bodysurfing...
I’ve been bodysurfing more than board surfing lately, After 3 knee surgery’s and 3 hip replacements I can’t jump up like I used to. Plus bodysurfing is quick and easy after work. In and out in less than hour. Trunks fins and a towel don’t take up much room in the truck. Not long rides but pretty high energy fun when the waves get over 3-4 feet.
Nothing funner than body surfing big closeout shories haha
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/26/2019 7:00am
Surfing can be really intense. Just like moto at some point you are going to be exhausted from paddling and waves dont care if you are tired and will pound and drown you. In moto you ride past muscle failure in a race or you die. Adrenaline helps you hold on at that point. Just like surfing, when your arms fail and you are in the impact zone, you fight through it to not drown. It's why surfers have the best physique of all athletes. They are ripped to the max. If you see a fat one they would be 5 times bigger if they did not surf. Surfers lats are strong and surfers can pack a punch because each paddle is the same muscles as throwing a punch.
7/27/2019 1:50am
Sluggo77 wrote:
I have never tried it but always wondered about it. I know it would be different than moto, like less intense. I mean if you fall...
I have never tried it but always wondered about it. I know it would be different than moto, like less intense. I mean if you fall down its just water, right?
I guess I just wonder if it is really hard to learn? I can just imagine being able to ride a wave for a long time would feel pretty sublime.
Took me about six lessons with a instructor to get to where I am atm. I can catch an unbroken wave by myself and turn on it. The big goal for me was to be able to surf across the face of a wave and once I achieved that I lost interest even though I literally live across the road from the beach.

Hardest part is learning to catch the wave itself and standing up on the drop in. Once your standing I find balance easy and turning no problems.
SrfNdirt
7/27/2019 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2019 4:01pm
What part of Canada are you in? From what I've seen, there are plenty of waves in the B.C. area and Nova Scotia on the other side of the country. B.C. would be cool especially this time of year with the south swells heading that way,might even see a bear cruising the shore Woohoo Although, you would have to deal with the cold water which is part of the fun. If you can skate and / or snowboard decently, I'm sure you'd be able to pick up surfing pretty easily. Like others have said catching the wave, timing , reading the ocean are the hard parts.

https://youtu.be/6-OMUbxVX-o
borg
7/27/2019 5:21pm
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/28/2019 10:50pm
Check out the app True Surf. It's a really good surf game. All the top surf spots and their wave characteristics. I have an android.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
7/29/2019 1:20am
I've lived on the coast my whole life and never surfed. I rode a lid as a kid though (bodyboard) and my brother (older) has surfed since he was about 10 or 11 and won a few comps... Maybe one day, too scared of Noah's now.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
7/29/2019 2:37am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2019 2:45am
I'm getting off track, sorry...

Edit: "The Wounded Seagull" comes from Newcastle (my home town) Laughing . We used to produce good Motocross riders and Surfers.
https://youtu.be/P4Eo4CtaKWY
7/30/2019 10:56am
Sluggo77 wrote:
I have never tried it but always wondered about it. I know it would be different than moto, like less intense. I mean if you fall...
Surfing is very very difficult. I consider myself fairly well coordinated and I grew up skating half pipes, snowboarding, wake boarding, etc. And of all "board sports", surfing is by far the most difficult to master. Every wave is different, so it's not like you can hit the same jump/ramp/berm/wake to practice.

Like others have mentioned, just getting to the point where you can navigate the surf while paddling out in the ocean is a challenge. Then, once you can make it to the line up you'll have to learn the timing of catching waves, getting to your feet, and pumping down the line. This will be nearly impossible to learn at a good surf break with a crowd.

You need to find a mushy point break to practice paddling around and catching waves. Anyone should be able to surf "Waikiki" style on a longboard. If this is what you consider surfing then you shouldn't have a problem. But if you are wanting to surf high performance (hollow) waves on a short board it will take you 5-10 years to figure out if it's possible at all based on your coordination.

Surfing's popularity is also making it more difficult due to heavy crowds. 20 years ago I could go to Indonesia and find empty waves to surf with buddies. Nowadays it doesn't matter how far off the beaten path you go, you will always run into crowds unless you are very lucky. Just log onto surfline and watch the surf cams to see if conditions are good...it's that easy so when it gets good everyone is out there. Plus, everyone knows when a good swell will arrive.

Luckily, wave pools are just starting to sprout up. This will revolutionize surfing because you'll have a landlocked surf culture. You will also be able to buy your own waves if you want to pay the price. It will be like Counrty Club surfing soon. It's already happened with the Surf Ranch in Lemoore, Ca. They are renting the pool for 50K per day and they are booked solid. This won't be sustainable but they are raking it in while they can. Two new wave pools are also planned for Palm Springs. Soon they will be everywhere and it will become really easy to learn how to surf the perfect waves in the pools.

The best in the world surf it like this:

https://youtu.be/sUE8AntPJpo

https://youtu.be/p2-Qe2rOwT8
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/30/2019 11:35pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
7/31/2019 5:56am
To be proficient at it you have to do it every day or almost every day. Surfing takes a lot of commitment. If you're going to do it you should also make an effort to understand the culture and subcultures associated with it. Good Luck Kook
brycepdh
7/31/2019 10:54am
Ì've never surfed but would love to since I live a 10 minute walk away from a surf break in Tasmania... I just skate and snowboard which takes most of my freetime. I did go watch the red bull cape fear at shipsterns bluff, it's the gnarliest shit i've ever seen in my whole life. I think big wave surfers have bigger balls than moto dudes
jemcee
8/28/2019 5:40pm
There's a good surf contest on all day with a solid swell in Tahiti:

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/410943/its-on-day-7-of-the-tahiti…

Yesterday was incredible! I record it cause it's on at like 3am but I sat and watched what? All 8-9 hours of it haha
Bullshit waves! Bullshit surfers! Bullshit arena! Epic day

I'm only just watching finals day now and just saw Owen's 10!

Been a while since we've seen 'true' chopes on the tour event! Good shit
8/28/2019 6:49pm

jemcee wrote:
Yesterday was incredible! I record it cause it's on at like 3am but I sat and watched what? All 8-9 hours of it haha Bullshit waves...
Yesterday was incredible! I record it cause it's on at like 3am but I sat and watched what? All 8-9 hours of it haha

Yes, that was a proper swell. Great contest and I'm glad Owen won. Also surprised no one got seriously hurt.

Now onto the wave pool in September.
jemcee
8/28/2019 9:32pm
Yes, that was a proper swell. Great contest and I'm glad Owen won. Also surprised no one got seriously hurt. Now onto the wave pool in...
Yes, that was a proper swell. Great contest and I'm glad Owen won. Also surprised no one got seriously hurt.

I only just watched the final then.. It's been a while since I've been that pumped on a result haha the way he won was amazing! It's never over at Teahupoo haha.. Yeah no injuries is crazy! What was it Barton said, only a scratch on Griffin Colapinto's foot and someone else scratched their arse haha..

Sigh the wave pool... haha great technology would love it in my backyard but it's no place for a tour event haha
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/28/2019 10:07pm

jemcee wrote:
Yesterday was incredible! I record it cause it's on at like 3am but I sat and watched what? All 8-9 hours of it haha Bullshit waves...

Yes, that was a proper swell. Great contest and I'm glad Owen won. Also surprised no one got seriously hurt. Now onto the wave pool in...

YEAH WAVEPOOL !! GO WAVEPOOL !! WOOHOO !! WoohooWoohooWoohooLaughingLaughing
I hope lowers is all time that day CoolTongue
borg
8/29/2019 7:52pm
I started surfing when I was 12 back in '65. Huntington Beach was wide fucking open back then. All the way from Sunset Beach to the Santa Ana river. The Cliffs were my favorite in the Summer. Brookhurst in the Winter, gnarly fast shorebreak, When the waves got to 5 feet there I was not able to handle it. Couldn't even paddle out.

Aside from all the skill and physical conditioning required, you have to learn about some aspects of how nature works. Tides, storms, seasons and such. When you really get into it, you begin to get the pulse of how the ocean works at the shoreline. Experienced surfers get to know which waves are worth paddling for and which are not. There is a lot to it but I really enjoyed collaborating with the natural world. Going along for the ride so to speak without changing or destroying anything. You have to play by the ocean's rules.
jemcee
8/30/2019 3:59am
ocscottie wrote:
watch this dude get pummeled! Blink

https://youtu.be/3oedoGT5V2c
I just can not fathom how those dudes can handle those situations! I used to be absolutely convinced I was dying getting smashed in anything in the 8-10ft range let alone taking multiple 20+ on the head haha..

I can't work out how people survive wipeouts at places like Nazare and Teahupoo when it's monstrous

Post a reply to: Any surfers here?

The Latest