Any skiers or boarders here?

cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
5/1/2020 5:00am
finally got around to editing our annual trip to Revelstoke. good times!

Barrett57
5/1/2020 9:36am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 9:37am
JM485, Do NOT go and work for the mountain. You will be working while others are having fun and the pay is shit. If you want...
JM485, Do NOT go and work for the mountain. You will be working while others are having fun and the pay is shit.

If you want to move to a mountain town, your best bet is to get a job in a bar or a kitchen. You will make a lot more money and you will be able to ride most days. The goal is to work evenings so that you have all day to ride and make money while most of the tourists are spending it (avoid night shifts as a cleaner if possible because you will be too tired to ride). I started as a cook and then a bartender.

I moved to Banff when I was 19 and stayed for 10 years. My buddies and I rode 5-6 days a week and lived like kings while all of the lifties watched us get freshies. I ultimately ended up working in the snowboard business for a decade as well due to the connections I made there.

On a side note: most resort mountain towns are awesome for skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking but shitty for moto.

I lived in Banff as well, did 3 seasons. Worked in town and as a lifty at sunshine, while the pay is awful its a good laugh and you get a 2 hour break to ride everyday. The work is boring af though. Honestly preferred working on the mountain than in town.

The best part was the fact 50 people all worked in lift ops from all over the world. When I went travelling in Aus and NZ after I had friends everywhere I went. The place is like an Australian colony 😂
9bro9
5/6/2020 2:45pm
Working at a resort has its perks, as well as it's downsides. Really depends what your end goal is, and how much time you want to have to ride or do school work. I worked as a groomer and on park crew for 4 years working nights, would ride until the snow was choppy mid afternoon and get my laps in. Grooming is where the money is at IMO at a resort.

I also worked ski school (the laughing stock of the resort industry) for a day a week just to get a free pass. Doing that even just a day a week honestly burned me out, and I sort of lost my passion for a while. Teaching n00bs to board that have zero athletic capabilities and are expecting you to "help them stand up" for an entire lesson every time they fall is tiresome x 8 students per class. I eventually was teaching Blues and Blacks ( trail color indicators for those who don't know) and it was ok...

Not everyone has the same experience, but if you're in school and you can swing a snow rake / shovel I'd try and get on with the groomers and terrain park crews if at all possible. I really enjoyed it because often times I'd be the test dummy for features while creating them, be at the photo shoots, and be on hill right after my shift right as the mountain operations for the day started operating.

What state are you thinking of going to work in?
mxdevon
5/7/2020 3:01am
At silver mountain there’s always fresh if you know where to look. It’s the essence of what is great about small privately owned resorts and old school ski culture that is all but gone in the west. My personal favorite place!

The Shop

Post a reply to: Any skiers or boarders here?

The Latest