Any skiers or boarders here?

woodsrider427
1/15/2020 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 3:01am
This season has been worse than usual so far in the southeast, started off okay but has been quite dismal the last few weeks. It looks like it might finally turn to winter at the end of the week, maybe the second half will be better. I had two decent small trips to Snowshoe WV so far, looking to maybe squeeze in one more there. I am heading to Utah in a few weeks and then Colorado mid March with my daughter, very excited!!
|
skid mark
1/15/2020 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 6:19pm
Colorado is good but still needs more snow for the trees to be safe. March should be prime. Have fun
woodsrider427
1/16/2020 4:33am
skid mark wrote:
Colorado is good but still needs more snow for the trees to be safe. March should be prime. Have fun
Thanks. Even if no trees were in play, still way better than anything we could imagine here.
Ebs
1/16/2020 8:28am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 8:30am
Went to Jackson Hole a lot of years ago, had my mind blown, and pretty much ruined snowboarding in the midwest for me.
gklefev
1/16/2020 10:41am
Just got back from a weekend trip to Brainhead Utah. Friday was perfect 3 or so inches of fresh powder and no lines. Saturday was just as good a little busier. Was great to get out with my boys and wife on the mountain. Been boarding since 1992. Love my new Burton board with EST binding almost that surfing sensation. A few picks to make you Midwest/East coasters jealous of how incredible it is out this way!!

The Shop

DoctorJD
1/16/2020 11:26am
I've been to Colorado (Breck, Winter Park, Keystone) Utah (Park City/Canyons), and Montana (Whitefish). My favorite of the three has got to be Park City. I've skied Park City proper, as well as Canyons. I actually like the skiing over on the Canyons side better than from downtown Park City. The terrain seems to be more diverse, and it's usually not as crowded. If you're staying in the town of Park City, you can ski over and take the gondola over to Canyons.

I've had varying experience in Colorado. Of the three places listed, I probably like skiing Keystone more so than the other two. Breckenridge is like Disney for skiing, I love the vibe of the town, but the slopes can be a clusterf*ck, even though they have a ton of acreage.

Winter Park was okay, but we went during the spring toward the end of the season and it was in the 60's. And we got zero snow while we were there. It snowed 8" the night we left. Such is spring ski season.

Keystone was cool because it's a little more ski-centric, and we had good weather when we were there, so that means a lot. Not much to do in the immediate area for non-skiers, though.

I'm not going to be able to take my annual ski trip this year and it's killing me. Have fun, I'm jealous!

Mucktub
1/16/2020 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2020 12:33am
Spent Christmas and new year in New Hampshire, conditions weren't great for a few days early on. Then a storm came in and brought a good 8" of fresh snow. Had a great time.
JM485
1/16/2020 7:41pm
I’ve gone up to Tahoe a few times this year, headed back up Saturday and probably the next weekend as well. I’m halfway decent at slicing through the trees and all that but I want to get more comfortable on jumps and rails, it’s a little different than a moto or bmx bikeLaughing

woodsrider427
1/17/2020 5:33am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2020 7:14am
gklefev wrote:
Just got back from a weekend trip to Brainhead Utah. Friday was perfect 3 or so inches of fresh powder and no lines. Saturday was just...
Just got back from a weekend trip to Brainhead Utah. Friday was perfect 3 or so inches of fresh powder and no lines. Saturday was just as good a little busier. Was great to get out with my boys and wife on the mountain. Been boarding since 1992. Love my new Burton board with EST binding almost that surfing sensation. A few picks to make you Midwest/East coasters jealous of how incredible it is out this way!!

I've heard good things about Brianhead, looks good. My favorite in Utah is Alta, last year when I was there it was real quiet. But of course it was during the week. We also skied Snowbird, Solitude, and one day at Deer Valley. Looking forward to getting out there in a few weeks.
woodsrider427
1/17/2020 5:35am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2020 5:36am
DoctorJD wrote:
I've been to Colorado (Breck, Winter Park, Keystone) Utah (Park City/Canyons), and Montana (Whitefish). My favorite of the three has got to be Park City. I've...
I've been to Colorado (Breck, Winter Park, Keystone) Utah (Park City/Canyons), and Montana (Whitefish). My favorite of the three has got to be Park City. I've skied Park City proper, as well as Canyons. I actually like the skiing over on the Canyons side better than from downtown Park City. The terrain seems to be more diverse, and it's usually not as crowded. If you're staying in the town of Park City, you can ski over and take the gondola over to Canyons.

I've had varying experience in Colorado. Of the three places listed, I probably like skiing Keystone more so than the other two. Breckenridge is like Disney for skiing, I love the vibe of the town, but the slopes can be a clusterf*ck, even though they have a ton of acreage.

Winter Park was okay, but we went during the spring toward the end of the season and it was in the 60's. And we got zero snow while we were there. It snowed 8" the night we left. Such is spring ski season.

Keystone was cool because it's a little more ski-centric, and we had good weather when we were there, so that means a lot. Not much to do in the immediate area for non-skiers, though.

I'm not going to be able to take my annual ski trip this year and it's killing me. Have fun, I'm jealous!

We went to Breckenridge a few years ago, my wife really enjoyed the town. Definitely a cool place. She is not much of a skier so if she comes we need to be near a town for her to walk around. And the skiing was great, again it was during the week but I can see how the weekends could be a cluster. Thanks!!
woodsrider427
1/17/2020 5:38am
JM485 wrote:
I’ve gone up to Tahoe a few times this year, headed back up Saturday and probably the next weekend as well. I’m halfway decent at slicing...
I’ve gone up to Tahoe a few times this year, headed back up Saturday and probably the next weekend as well. I’m halfway decent at slicing through the trees and all that but I want to get more comfortable on jumps and rails, it’s a little different than a moto or bmx bikeLaughing

We skied at Squaw/Alpine and down at Mammoth last year, Tahoe is a beautiful area. I like going in the trees some too but definitely like to keep the skis on the ground!!
gklefev
1/17/2020 7:08am
gklefev wrote:
Just got back from a weekend trip to Brainhead Utah. Friday was perfect 3 or so inches of fresh powder and no lines. Saturday was just...

I've heard good things about Brianhead, looks good. My favorite in Utah is Alta, last year when I was there it was real quiet. But of...
I've heard good things about Brianhead, looks good. My favorite in Utah is Alta, last year when I was there it was real quiet. But of course it was during the week. We also skied Snowbird, Solitude, and one day at Deer Valley. Looking forward to getting out there in a few weeks.
Brain Head is great. Mid week lift ticket is $45!! and weekends is $83. Friend of mine was saying his buddies went to Vail and it was like $220 for a full day F that shit. I will warn you that their is not much up on that mountain to do if your not on the hill. I grew up boarding Nor Cal mostly Sugar Bowl and Sierra at Tahoe and would choose Brain Head over those any-day of the week.
woodsrider427
1/17/2020 7:23am
gklefev wrote:

I've heard good things about Brianhead, looks good. My favorite in Utah is Alta, last year when I was there it was real quiet. But of...
gklefev wrote:
Brain Head is great. Mid week lift ticket is $45!! and weekends is $83. Friend of mine was saying his buddies went to Vail and it...
Brain Head is great. Mid week lift ticket is $45!! and weekends is $83. Friend of mine was saying his buddies went to Vail and it was like $220 for a full day F that shit. I will warn you that their is not much up on that mountain to do if your not on the hill. I grew up boarding Nor Cal mostly Sugar Bowl and Sierra at Tahoe and would choose Brain Head over those any-day of the week.
Those are good lift ticket prices, my little "home" mountain here in NC (Sugar) is about the same. I am sure Brian Head is much better.

Yes, Vail is about $220 a day at the window, insane!! I have an "Ikon Pass" which was $619 when I purchased it last March for this season. It gives me unlimited Snowshoe WV, which I can get to most often, as well as about 10 other unlimited places in the country (Solitude, Mammoth, Squaw, Copper, etc.). I also get 5 days at about 20 other places (Alta/Snowbird, Deer Valley, Aspen, etc.). Vail does have their Epic pass which is similar for their mountains, I can't imagine who pays those window prices.
Mucktub
1/17/2020 7:40am
I wish I lived in a country with mountains and ski hills. Just had a look at Mammoth ticket prices😯 a 5 day out of 7 pass $722.16.

The last time I went to mammoth, about 15 years ago, I'm sure it was less than half that price. Love that place though.
1/17/2020 10:42am
Fuck ya! Brian head is good, especially when powder is on the mountain. It’s a big mountain, I bring my 162cm when riding there as it is high speed. Not sure how their park is nowadays but they had some huge hits back in the day. Be sure to hit Devo’s pitch after the snow comes.

I worked the lifts there while in college 2002-2003 what a great job for a college kid that was. Epic times. Plenty of snow bunnies. Nothing but good memories from that time in my life.

1/18/2020 3:39pm
I love skiing. Coming from Australia, where local ski season is either a big hit or a huge miss, you guys should be very thankful for what you have. Think East Coast US with feast or famine.

Can’t wait to hit some big North American resorts hopefully this year.
SEEMEFIRST
1/18/2020 6:32pm
Taos is cheaper than Colorado, but it doesn't have the amenities that Colorado has.

If you want to ski/board and aren't worried about finding something for non-skiers to do, I recommend it.

Not crowded, big stuff, it's cool.
benstone
1/18/2020 6:50pm
We bought IKON Base passes this year and have hit Steamboat CO for a day, 3 days in Big Sky MT and a day at Winter Park CO. I'm going to Winter park tomorrow by myself - kids have plans. Solid conditions so far everywhere but everyone can use another foot of snow to cover up rocks/small trees. Fave is Steamboat Springs but Winter Park is a gaining ground. Big Sky is insanely big. My wife's niece works for the Mountain and she skied 40 days last year and still didn't get to everything.

woodsrider427
1/19/2020 6:34am
benstone wrote:
We bought IKON Base passes this year and have hit Steamboat CO for a day, 3 days in Big Sky MT and a day at Winter...
We bought IKON Base passes this year and have hit Steamboat CO for a day, 3 days in Big Sky MT and a day at Winter Park CO. I'm going to Winter park tomorrow by myself - kids have plans. Solid conditions so far everywhere but everyone can use another foot of snow to cover up rocks/small trees. Fave is Steamboat Springs but Winter Park is a gaining ground. Big Sky is insanely big. My wife's niece works for the Mountain and she skied 40 days last year and still didn't get to everything.

Great pictures!! Steamboat was an option for our trip this March be we chose Aspen instead and we will do 2 days at Copper on our way back towards Denver. I am planning to go back in early April with my younger daughter so I'm hoping for some good snowstorms in Feb/March. We may hit Winter Park on that trip.
MX114
1/19/2020 9:25am
Curious if anyone here has any experience skiing in Quebec? Live in Syracuse NY so Mt Tremblant and also Mount Blanc is within a days drive from me. Any input on either mountains experience appreciated!
APLMAN99
1/19/2020 10:13am
Our local ski areas got off to a slow start, sort of like last year where winter seemed like it shifted backwards 6-8 weeks from normal.

The ski area right above town, Mission Ridge, has invested heavily in snow making infrastructure and it's really paid off the last few years. Some people turn their noses up at man made snow but it certainly helps lay down a great base layer and has allowed Mission to open several weeks earlier than it normally would have been able to the last few seasons. I think that our man made snow is also a little "drier" than it would be if you were making it just a little bit west of us, too.

We've received over 10 inches of snow down here in our valley over the last week or so, and it again looks like we might have a very late winter again.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
1/19/2020 11:04am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 11:14am
MX114 wrote:
Curious if anyone here has any experience skiing in Quebec? Live in Syracuse NY so Mt Tremblant and also Mount Blanc is within a days drive...
Curious if anyone here has any experience skiing in Quebec? Live in Syracuse NY so Mt Tremblant and also Mount Blanc is within a days drive from me. Any input on either mountains experience appreciated!
I guess it depends. Are you there for a weekend or a week? Skiing or riding parks?

Tremblant is more of a touristy area. If you go there you're fairly close to other ski resorts. Mont-Blanc is only about a 10-15 minute drive away. Mont-Saint-Sauveur is about 40 minutes from Mont-Blanc.

From what I hear Le Massif is the best skiing East of the Rockies. Located about an hour from Quebec City.

https://www.lemassif.com/en/

Mont-Saint-Anne is also a great place. That one is located 40 minutes away from Quebec City.

https://mont-sainte-anne.com/en/

Le Massif and Mont-Saint-Anne are located about a half hour drive apart.

There's also Stoneham Mountain Resort that's also located about 30 minutes away from Quebec City.

https://ski-stoneham.com/en/

Le Massif to Stoneham about 1h30min.
Mont-Saint-Anne to Stoneham 1h15min.

Edit: If you're into night skiing you might want to consider Ski Bromont. They have just over 100 runs lit up.

https://www.skibromont.com/en
JM485
1/19/2020 8:28pm
Fuck ya! Brian head is good, especially when powder is on the mountain. It’s a big mountain, I bring my 162cm when riding there as it...
Fuck ya! Brian head is good, especially when powder is on the mountain. It’s a big mountain, I bring my 162cm when riding there as it is high speed. Not sure how their park is nowadays but they had some huge hits back in the day. Be sure to hit Devo’s pitch after the snow comes.

I worked the lifts there while in college 2002-2003 what a great job for a college kid that was. Epic times. Plenty of snow bunnies. Nothing but good memories from that time in my life.

I'm curious, were you able to make enough money working at one of the resorts to at least just be able to pay rent and live? I'm seriously considering trying to time things correctly one year and leave the job I'm at in the winter months, that way I can just live on the mountain and hopefully cover my expenses working at one of the resorts for the season before I get another full time spot. Either that or do it in the summer time and downhill mtb all summer, both sound pretty coolLaughing . I'm only 24 so I can probably still pull it off, but I feel like I'm running out of time quickly and I'm not sure about the feasibility.

Also on a side note, wtf is jumping and grinding a snowboard so freaking different then a skateboard or anything else?! Yesterday further confirmed for me how bad I suck at this, I can't even get half way down a rail that I wouldn't even think twice about on a skateboard, and bigger jumps still throw me every which way but straightBlink It's frustrating as hell, I feel like I'm making progress but damn I just can't seem to get the hang of it like I want to.
MX114
1/20/2020 8:25am
Thanks u Maverick!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/28/2020 3:41pm
Have fun, guys. I'm just waiting for all that white crap to melt so I can ride the bike parks again. Wink
freeh
1/28/2020 6:43pm
MX114 wrote:
Curious if anyone here has any experience skiing in Quebec? Live in Syracuse NY so Mt Tremblant and also Mount Blanc is within a days drive...
I am in Montreal for business, but taking Friday off to try Tremblant. I'll let you know what I think.
1/28/2020 7:58pm
Fuck ya! Brian head is good, especially when powder is on the mountain. It’s a big mountain, I bring my 162cm when riding there as it...

JM485 wrote:
I'm curious, were you able to make enough money working at one of the resorts to at least just be able to pay rent and live...
I'm curious, were you able to make enough money working at one of the resorts to at least just be able to pay rent and live? I'm seriously considering trying to time things correctly one year and leave the job I'm at in the winter months, that way I can just live on the mountain and hopefully cover my expenses working at one of the resorts for the season before I get another full time spot. Either that or do it in the summer time and downhill mtb all summer, both sound pretty coolLaughing . I'm only 24 so I can probably still pull it off, but I feel like I'm running out of time quickly and I'm not sure about the feasibility.

Also on a side note, wtf is jumping and grinding a snowboard so freaking different then a skateboard or anything else?! Yesterday further confirmed for me how bad I suck at this, I can't even get half way down a rail that I wouldn't even think twice about on a skateboard, and bigger jumps still throw me every which way but straightBlink It's frustrating as hell, I feel like I'm making progress but damn I just can't seem to get the hang of it like I want to.
Sorry for the late response but yes you could make a modest living and either live right on the mountain or a town close to it. For Brianhead they have a shuttle from cedar city or parowon (sp?) every day so that cuts down on the cost.

I knew a girl who lived in Cedar city, worked ski patrol all winter and MTB lifty in the summer and she had a nice place and decent car. Low stress life and a mountain bum but not a bad life either.

I say go for it. You could ride your ass off all winter and downhill all summer for a year or two. Bet you meet some cool people along the way.
mx617
1/29/2020 11:18am
I just got set up last week! Terrible at it, usually only go once a year or so and rent. But we moved to a new town a couple years ago and winter here is much longer and snowier than my old town, where dirtbiking off season was about 6 weeks (if you didn't stud the tires).
Found a good deal and cashed in some points for a K2 Standard and bindings for $110 out of pocket. Used boots for $70 and we're good lol. Hopefully now I don't have to rent will get out a bit more often.
1/29/2020 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2020 3:58pm

JM485 wrote:
I'm curious, were you able to make enough money working at one of the resorts to at least just be able to pay rent and live...

Sorry for the late response but yes you could make a modest living and either live right on the mountain or a town close to it...
Sorry for the late response but yes you could make a modest living and either live right on the mountain or a town close to it. For Brianhead they have a shuttle from cedar city or parowon (sp?) every day so that cuts down on the cost.

I knew a girl who lived in Cedar city, worked ski patrol all winter and MTB lifty in the summer and she had a nice place and decent car. Low stress life and a mountain bum but not a bad life either.

I say go for it. You could ride your ass off all winter and downhill all summer for a year or two. Bet you meet some cool people along the way.
JM485, Do NOT go and work for the mountain. You will be working while others are having fun and the pay is shit.

If you want to move to a mountain town, your best bet is to get a job in a bar or a kitchen. You will make a lot more money and you will be able to ride most days. The goal is to work evenings so that you have all day to ride and make money while most of the tourists are spending it (avoid night shifts as a cleaner if possible because you will be too tired to ride). I started as a cook and then a bartender.

I moved to Banff when I was 19 and stayed for 10 years. My buddies and I rode 5-6 days a week and lived like kings while all of the lifties watched us get freshies. I ultimately ended up working in the snowboard business for a decade as well due to the connections I made there.

On a side note: most resort mountain towns are awesome for skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking but shitty for moto.

three9zero
2/4/2020 6:33am
We had a slow start to the season, but a record month(Jan) here in B.C. Cant go wrong skiing in Western Canada. As for working, what he said^^^^^. Bartenders get the most $, tail, and pow. I know from first hand experience.

Post a reply to: Any skiers or boarders here?

The Latest