Any private pilots here?

Racer92
12/6/2012 5:34am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2012 5:35am
thehuck.0 wrote:
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm going to do the regular course (pay as you go, learn at your own rate). Supposed to get...
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm going to do the regular course (pay as you go, learn at your own rate). Supposed to get back with the guy after the first of the year. If it takes me 5 months to get my training done, I am fine with that.
Remember Hucky, rule-of-thumb, you add an extra 10kts of airspeed on final for every kid you have waiting for you at home.

Wink
thehuck.0
12/6/2012 5:37am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2012 5:39am
thehuck.0 wrote:
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm going to do the regular course (pay as you go, learn at your own rate). Supposed to get...
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm going to do the regular course (pay as you go, learn at your own rate). Supposed to get back with the guy after the first of the year. If it takes me 5 months to get my training done, I am fine with that.
Racer92 wrote:
Remember Hucky, rule-of-thumb, you add an extra 10kts of airspeed on final for every kid you have waiting for you at home.

Wink
Hell, I'll stall that thing out and bring it in all stealth....

(yes, I know stalling a plane doesn't mean to make the engine die - :-) )
Racer92
12/6/2012 5:40am
zjbell wrote:
No worries about getting your license in 14 hours? You should be very worried because under part 61 it requires a minimum of 40 hours to...
No worries about getting your license in 14 hours? You should be very worried because under part 61 it requires a minimum of 40 hours to be eligible for a check ride.

DPE's pass hack gouge jobs all the time, most of those 'accelerated schools' have DE's on staff. Conflict of intrest much? You can only find out so much about someone during that 1 point whatever CR.
Zach, thats minimim 20 instructed and 20 solo as I recall. Correct?
Racer92
12/6/2012 5:44am
thehuck.0 wrote:
Hell, I'll stall that thing out and bring it in all stealth.... (yes, I know stalling a plane doesn't mean to make the engine die -...
Hell, I'll stall that thing out and bring it in all stealth....

(yes, I know stalling a plane doesn't mean to make the engine die - :-) )
Huck will be the first person in history to whiskey-throttle a 172 into a sea-lane! Laughing

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
12/6/2012 6:39am
zjbell wrote:
No worries about getting your license in 14 hours? You should be very worried because under part 61 it requires a minimum of 40 hours to...
No worries about getting your license in 14 hours? You should be very worried because under part 61 it requires a minimum of 40 hours to be eligible for a check ride.

DPE's pass hack gouge jobs all the time, most of those 'accelerated schools' have DE's on staff. Conflict of intrest much? You can only find out so much about someone during that 1 point whatever CR.
Racer92 wrote:
I couldn't remember how many it was but I did tell him that it was either a teaser or a part of a larger course. Every every check ride I've ever been on with an FAA examiner was never half assed. If you didn't know what was required they won't let you slide. Doesn't it take a check ride with an examiner to get your Private Pilots? Are these guys he is talking about a scam then?
Racer92
12/6/2012 7:01am
Yes, you gotta do your Cross Country and Checkride both.
Racer92
12/6/2012 8:34am

"Plotting course for the Crab Nebula, Captain....." Tongue
88sdad
12/6/2012 8:43am
My ex has her Pilots license and CC permit.

I used to go up with my friends all the time, I really miss them. Sad

Jerry & Paul Cody
Jerry Cody, 39, and his son Paul, twelve, of Reno, Nevada passed February 4, 2001 in an accident in his Wittman Tailwind W-8. They shared a love of flying and Homebuilts, and built many model airplanes and rockets together. Jerry loved flying his Tailwind, especially with his son. And Paul loved flying his model airplanes and launched his model rockets every chance he got. The Tailwind was originally built by Ron Sutton approximately thirty years ago.
Jerry is survived by his wife, Lisa, and his five year old daughter.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A South Carolina couple about to be married and two others were killed when an amateur-built plane crashed south of the Grand Canyon on the Hualapai Indian Reservation, officials said.

The single-engine plane was heading to North Las Vegas when it crashed about 5:30 p.m. Saturday about 45 miles northwest of Grand Canyon National Park's airport, Donn Walker, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman, said Monday.

Albert G. Howle and Milena Stanoycheva, both of Greenville, S.C., were in Nevada for their wedding. The couple decided to take a tour of the Grand Canyon in Howle's father's plane.

Pilot Jerry Howle, 57, a Reno psychiatrist and Anna Dolinska, who had played tennis at Clemson University with Stanoycheva, were killed.
zjbell
12/6/2012 9:32am
zjbell wrote:

Racer92 wrote:
I forget the rmin dual, but I know it's 10 solo, 5 xcpic, 3 insturment, 3 prep for the CR and 3 night w/ 10 ldgs. Plus the required xc trips, it's been awhile. 61.109.
zjbell
12/6/2012 11:33pm
Looking at the link from Huck it says 14 DAYS, not hours. Still ridiculous, but possible I suppose.
zjbell
12/6/2012 11:50pm
I couldn't remember how many it was but I did tell him that it was either a teaser or a part of a larger course. Every...
I couldn't remember how many it was but I did tell him that it was either a teaser or a part of a larger course. Every every check ride I've ever been on with an FAA examiner was never half assed. If you didn't know what was required they won't let you slide. Doesn't it take a check ride with an examiner to get your Private Pilots? Are these guys he is talking about a scam then?
There's two different things. An "FAA Designated Pilot Examiner", not an employee of the FAA. He/she is authorized to give certain checkrides for a fee.

An "FAA Inspector" is an employee of the FAA, they are normally too busy to give checkrides. POI's have their time taken up by other duties more important that a PPL or IRA. It's free to the applicant, the only pt 61 CR required to go through the FSDO is the CFI initial, and many of these are handed off to DPE's anyway. Usually the only time a PPL will see the POI is if the DPE is being observed.

Some examiners are corrupt--in fact one examiner, associated with a flight school not unlike the setup Huck posted was recently found to have violated the terms of his DE status. He had it revoked. All of his applicants were subject to have a mandatory (44-709) ride with an FAA Inspector to re-examine privileges for the certificate... at the applicants expense. 100's of people.

It's best not to get involved with these too-good-to-be true pilot mills. Because even things like an examiner not preforming tasks required by the particular PTS, or even if he have you a legal ride but was later found to have violated terms it can leave YOU with an invalidated certificate.
XXVoid MainXX
12/7/2012 4:46am
Yep, 14 days. Now that's possible but still aggressive, at least for me. It takes a while longer for things to sink into my head and stay there.
12/7/2012 5:42am
Huck just make sure you have an internet connection and take off, if you have any problems log into Vital and we will talk you down.
XXVoid MainXX
12/7/2012 5:44am
Huck just make sure you have an internet connection and take off, if you have any problems log into Vital and we will talk you down.
Heh heh. Smile
XXVoid MainXX
12/7/2012 6:27am
Racer92 wrote:
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/database2/Motodrive/ArkansasFlightSchool.jpg[/img] ;)

Wink
Oh no you didn't! Smile
VET74
12/7/2012 8:11am
It's a little further down the road, but if you can afford it, get your instrument rating also. It will make you a much better pilot and keep you out of trouble with the weather. Good call on taking your time getting your license, especially if there is no real reason to rush it.

22 years later I still remember my first solo, one of the best feelings ever.
Racer92
12/7/2012 8:16am
VET74 wrote:
It's a little further down the road, but if you can afford it, get your instrument rating also. It will make you a much better pilot...
It's a little further down the road, but if you can afford it, get your instrument rating also. It will make you a much better pilot and keep you out of trouble with the weather. Good call on taking your time getting your license, especially if there is no real reason to rush it.

He needs to wait until next summer to get his IFR done when its 98 degrees, the vents are blowing hot air and you are bumping around on thermals and ready to puke from the hood. Evil

VET74
12/7/2012 8:20am
VET74 wrote:
It's a little further down the road, but if you can afford it, get your instrument rating also. It will make you a much better pilot...

Racer92 wrote:
He needs to wait until next summer to get his IFR done when its 98 degrees, the vents are blowing hot air and you are bumping...
He needs to wait until next summer to get his IFR done when its 98 degrees, the vents are blowing hot air and you are bumping around on thermals and ready to puke from the hood. Evil

Lol, that's when I did mine out of Addison.

Post a reply to: Any private pilots here?

The Latest