Any private pilots here?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/5/2012 8:07 AM

I'm thinking about getting my pilot's license. They have a "fast" course that is 14 days and $5,000. I'm not sure if I want to be turned loose after just 14 days... might take the regular course.

|

12/5/2012 8:15 AM

Seems like it should take longer...

Wait, you want to learn how to land too, right?

|

Yes, I know....guacamole is extra.

12/5/2012 8:19 AM

bsm121 wrote:

har...

Pay $5,000

Here's the plane.
Here's the radio.
Here's how to take off.

Heard over the radio once in the air... "want to learn how to land, that's another $5,000, what's your credit card number?"

|

12/5/2012 8:33 AM

The sport pilot rating seems to be the best way to go anymore to me unless you want to haul around more than just one person. My dad had been a pilot since I was born and I've logged many hours but have never gotten my license due to the expense involved in hiring an instructor and taking the ground school classes.

The cost of General Aviation has gotten out of control but this new license makes it somewhat affordable for the guy who just wants to be able to say he can fly and doesn't mind bouncing around in a two place puddle jumper.

Sport Pilot Rules

I'd like to get my license within the next few years and buy an old Aeronca Champ or a Luscombe 90 to take up on those calm summer evenings and watch the sun set. Now that my dad has retired his license I kinda miss it.

|

12/5/2012 8:49 AM

bsm121 wrote:

thehuck.0 wrote:

har...

Pay $5,000

Here's the plane.
Here's the radio.
Here's how to take off.

Heard over the radio once in the air... ...more

Co-Pilot has a credit card reader and 1 parachute.

"Sorry card was declined.....See ya!!!!"

|

12/5/2012 9:05 AM

bsm121 wrote:

thehuck.0 wrote:

har...

Pay $5,000

Here's the plane.
Here's the radio.
Here's how to take off.

Heard over the radio once in the air... ...more

jndmx wrote:

Co-Pilot has a credit card reader and 1 parachute.

"Sorry card was declined.....See ya!!!!"

HAR!! "I'm out...."

|

12/5/2012 9:06 AM

reded wrote:

The sport pilot rating seems to be the best way to go anymore to me unless you want to haul around more than just one person. ...more

Thanks for the info. I'd rather get my full rating (I think)....so I can take the kids on weekend trips and such.

|

12/5/2012 9:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2012 9:08 AM

I have 52 hours in Cessnas and I never did get my ticket. smile I only needed one more night flight to get it but I got called to Saudi for Gulf War I at that time and when I got back I never finished. 14 hours is really aggressive. I did some solo cross country flights though. Had a bad experience on one of them because of mechanical/radio issues along with weather coming in that I shouldn't have been flying in.

|

12/5/2012 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2012 9:38 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I have 52 hours in Cessnas and I never did get my ticket. smile I only needed one more night flight to get it but I got called to ...more

If I get my license, I can come visit you on a regular basis. It'd be fantastic!!!!

|

12/5/2012 9:16 AM

Take this as you want. Fast course crams a shitload of information down your throat and you don't retain much. Spreading it out gives you time to digest everything and think it through for the next lesson. Was looking into some lessons for my son a while back and the instructor was most definitely against the fast track courses. Some may think that's bullshit, but.....

A good customer of mine who just so happened to be a doctor and head of radiology at a local hospital (read very well educated ,extremely intelligent and very detail oriented ) had been through the private pilot courses but wanted to advance to instrument training/certification. Due to time constraints on his schedule he just couldn't put together a long term training program. Along comes an out of town instructor who promised him instrument training in a 40 hour crash course. Although he had been warned against it he went for it. Well they don't call it a crash course for nothing. The instructor let him come in low after dark and they snagged power lines, crashed and burned. Very bad deal for everyone involved. Super nice guy with a great wife and eight great kids among the both of them. Must have been the better part of a thousand or more people at the funeral.

|

12/5/2012 9:30 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I have 52 hours in Cessnas and I never did get my ticket. smile I only needed one more night flight to get it but I got called to ...more

thehuck.0 wrote:

If I get my license, I can come visit you on a regular basis. It'd be fantastic!!!!

As long as you buy the beer I would agree, that would be fantastic! smile

|

12/5/2012 9:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2012 9:35 AM

newmann wrote:

Take this as you want. Fast course crams a shitload of information down your throat and you don't retain much. Spreading it ...more

That's kind of what I thought too... I consider myself "somewhat" smart, but learning to fly and land an aircraft in 14 days, seems like WAY too much to learn for me.

|

12/5/2012 9:37 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

thehuck.0 wrote:

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

As long as you buy the beer I would agree, that would be fantastic! smile

Who has bought the beer in our other 'man-dates' (STL SX 2009/10, Schlafly Tap Room, and Arena Sports bar)?

|

12/5/2012 9:38 AM

For me the flying part was pretty easy, it's all the other stuff like communicating with tower and radar control at larger airports, making sure you're not flying in restricted airspace, weather, etc, etc that I wanted to be very comfortable with before I would have felt comfortable getting my license. It's really your call. Even if the instructor thinks you are ready you can put more hours in. I don't like being up there by myself and not have a really good idea of what I need to do in any situation.

|

12/5/2012 9:48 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

For me the flying part was pretty easy, it's all the other stuff like communicating with tower and radar control at larger ...more

I was thinking about that too.... Kind of like going to a SX track and having a pro tell me that I "can" jump the quad quad section after he shows me how to do it.

|

12/5/2012 9:58 AM

I fly RC planes and have walked away from every crash in one piece, lol. I wouldn't mind getting a license but sheesh if I flew the real thing like the RC planes I wouldn't last to long.blink

|

You're trying to use logic in your post and 4stroke doesn't appreciate logic! (FACT)

12/5/2012 10:02 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

For me the flying part was pretty easy, it's all the other stuff like communicating with tower and radar control at larger ...more

No joke. A friend of mine got into some bad weather/rain/fog and was calling his wife telling her he might not be home that night. He was that f'n scared. Panic mode!

Another friend of mine has some pretty cool shit,like this.

Photo

Photo

|

12/5/2012 10:31 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

newmann wrote:

No joke. A friend of mine got into some bad weather/rain/fog and was calling his wife telling her he might not be home that ...more

That is my kind of flying!

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

12/5/2012 1:22 PM

I keep telling myself I should go get it. I would love to have an old Champ or a decent cessna.... just to beetle around in. Not getting any younger either. I should just do it. Have a few buddies with thiers, and a few buddies that fly ultralights, and I mean fly them A LOT. Safety attitude seems to be the key.

|

12/5/2012 2:17 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

newmann wrote:

No joke. A friend of mine got into some bad weather/rain/fog and was calling his wife telling her he might not be home that ...more

Cool! My cousin restored a 1941 (or 42 can't remember) steerman. He took me up in it a few years back when we were back in myrtle beach on vacation. It's a beautiful machine!

|

12/5/2012 3:06 PM

Take the course and have fun. Crash course or not half of learning and memory retention is eat, sleep and breathing it, asking questions and spending time talking with other pilots. I didn't take a crash course but if I remember right I was doing solo touch and goes at 4 hours and solo cross country at either 8 or 12 hours. I'll have to dig up my old log book.
There really are no worries about getting your license in 14 hours and not knowing what you need to know in order to get your private pilot rating. No FAA examiner is going to pass you without running you through the mill and no one other than your flight school is going to rent you a plane before you log in a much higher number of hours. What I am saying is the course sounds like it is a teaser course to get you started or part of a larger course where you get your privates quick so you can start logging hours for multiple ratings. By the time you have your private pilots, Instrument, high performance, commercial or CFI training you will be a handy pilot trying to log as many hours as possible, even if you did get your private pilots in less than 20 hours. Does that make sense? It might be a good place to start to see if you like it or not. Honestly, there is a chance you might hate it. Take a course like this then join the civil air patrol to log hours. Last time I rented a civil air patrol 172 it was $10 and hour plus fuel. That has been a while but still it was cheap.
Before you start, I would get online and make sure I could qualify for all the medical requirements for passing a student pilot medical. Stuff, like sugar level, diabetes, eye sight, hemorrhoids are the types of things that will prevent you from being able to acquire your license.

|

12/5/2012 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2012 3:37 PM

My best friend is a A&P with a PP ticket, his aunt is a CFII and I have a friend who owned a 177 Cardinal so between all three of them I have tons of seat time, just never took time to get the my own ticket. LOVE flying in Mooneys !

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Huck in the air? I dunno 'bout that. If he does start they need to put his dumbass in a Traumahawk !!

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

12/5/2012 4:44 PM

I'm sure the hemorrvoids will keep him from from getting his 3rd class medical cert. smile

|

12/5/2012 4:55 PM

Hemmorvoids !

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

12/5/2012 9:35 PM

Don't do the 14 day course, find a good CFI and have fun with the training. Bring your kids along, build experience, enjoy it. A 14 day private is a joke.

I wouldn't think about the Sport unless you have issues getting a medical, if that's the case don't go and get denied because at that point the SP is no longer an option.

|

12/5/2012 9:40 PM

I took my wife up a couple of times when I was taking my lessons. She got sick and never went back up with me again. smile

|

12/5/2012 9:43 PM

FlickitFlat wrote:

Take the course and have fun. Crash course or not half of learning and memory retention is eat, sleep and breathing it, asking ...more

No worries about getting your license in 14 hours? You should be very worried because under part 61 it requires a minimum of 40 hours to be eligible for a check ride.

DPE's pass hack gouge jobs all the time, most of those 'accelerated schools' have DE's on staff. Conflict of intrest much? You can only find out so much about someone during that 1 point whatever CR.

|

12/5/2012 9:45 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I took my wife up a couple of times when I was taking my lessons. She got sick and never went back up with me again. smile

Sounds like the prefect hobby for a married guy then... wink

|

12/5/2012 10:02 PM

She hates motorcycles too and those are much cheaper. smile

|

12/5/2012 10:41 PM

Shit those tires have to be 1.5-2 hours a piece. hah

|