Any pilots on here?

Huevos
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2014 6:22pm
Prepping to take my check ride for my PPL next week, and I've been kind of over whelmed with the knowledge aspect. The practical part doesn't worry me, it's the oral exam. What did you guys find helpful for studying instrument operations, airspace regulations, and physiology stuff? I've been using a ton of flash cards, but I'm just wondering if any of you used study aids that you'd recommend.
|
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/6/2014 3:09pm
I took my test so long ago I'm not sure It would apply, but an old timer (yes older than me) told me be familiar with the charts.
best of luck, it's your ticket to spend ungodly amounts of money when you pass.
What are you flying for you practical? I did all my training in a 182
TM
zjbell
2/6/2014 10:46pm
Purchase a current PTS, review the areas applicable to the rating sought. Be sure to have updated charts, know how to use an AFD.

Review the special emphasis areas, you are required to be tested on these items.

Use the applicant checklist, nothing sets the tone for a shitty ride like showing up unprepared, or not qualified. Review 61.109 and ensure you have everything logged properly (wouldn't hurt to know these requirements from memory). Have another instructor you don't know do a mock oral, and look over your endorsements. Ensure IACRA is setup, signed and is not overstated when compared to your logbook. Make sure your name is correct on all documents (medical is a big one) and the written.

These seem to be hot button areas:

-Sectionals- Download and study the legend. Know airspace, cloud clearances, all the symbology. Most examiners use the chart to ask all of these questions in order to satisfy the PTS.

-Systems on the aircraft- Good working knowledge.

-ADM- The FAA is switching to more of a scenario based evaluation process, don't expect the questions to be purely rote reply. He'll test your knowledge and judgement indirectly.

It's just a test in "good enough", you don't have to be perfect. If it does start going downhill, discontinue before he drops the hammer.
Racer92
2/7/2014 4:58am
Huevos wrote:
Prepping to take my check ride for my PPL next week, and I've been kind of over whelmed with the knowledge aspect. The practical part doesn't...
Prepping to take my check ride for my PPL next week, and I've been kind of over whelmed with the knowledge aspect. The practical part doesn't worry me, it's the oral exam. What did you guys find helpful for studying instrument operations, airspace regulations, and physiology stuff? I've been using a ton of flash cards, but I'm just wondering if any of you used study aids that you'd recommend.
We have a recent PPL graduate on this board, maybe he could share what he learned? Wink

Bultaco
2/7/2014 5:56am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2014 5:57am
-Relax (which is impossible),
-Stand up straight and be confident,
-Take your time to formulate your answer/action and do it correctly,
-Do your clearing turns as required, more than one student has failed a check ride by forgetting these.
-The inspector is not out to get you. They are wanting to make sure you are competent to pilot an airplane without killing anyone.
-If your instructor has signed you off for the check ride he/she believes you know how to fly an airplane and are ready. Adapt the same attitude.
- Know about TFRs and airspace rules.
- Try to relax. Good luck and have fun.

The Shop

Huevos
3/20/2014 10:37pm
Sorry, I forgot to give an update. I passed the check ride. I don't know what it was, but the test was much easier than I had it built up in my head to be. I passed with flying colors, although I realized I needed to study physiology a bit more (hypoxia, spacial disorientation, etc.), but I felt great with everything else. The flight was the easiest part of the whole test!

Now, I'm interested in getting my Instrument rating, just because I've heard from most pilots I know that it should be a minimum requirement and I'd like to continue learning so I'm as safe as possible while flying. Any recommendations as to the best approach of studying? Should I invest in a ground school via FBO? Or should I do self study and utilize an instructor for the ground? What's your experience? I know Vital might not be the most effective place to ask these questions, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
3/23/2014 6:14pm
Huevos wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to give an update. I passed the check ride. I don't know what it was, but the test was much easier than I...
Sorry, I forgot to give an update. I passed the check ride. I don't know what it was, but the test was much easier than I had it built up in my head to be. I passed with flying colors, although I realized I needed to study physiology a bit more (hypoxia, spacial disorientation, etc.), but I felt great with everything else. The flight was the easiest part of the whole test!

Now, I'm interested in getting my Instrument rating, just because I've heard from most pilots I know that it should be a minimum requirement and I'd like to continue learning so I'm as safe as possible while flying. Any recommendations as to the best approach of studying? Should I invest in a ground school via FBO? Or should I do self study and utilize an instructor for the ground? What's your experience? I know Vital might not be the most effective place to ask these questions, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.
Congrats on you new license. Any plans on special places to fly?
TM
3/23/2014 6:22pm
It's been a life long dream of mine to get my PPL. I actually just made a pact with one of my employees, and my boss, that when our stock hits 40 bucks, then we will all book into a flight school and get ours.
I look forward to the day. Go Kelt Exploration stock! Haha

Post a reply to: Any pilots on here?

The Latest