Any one ever had a bike stolen and then recovered right after?

fourfourone
long story short a few scumbags broke into my tuck and gf's car to grab the garage door opener. Never thought about taking it out of her car. my fault. Woke up at 4 am to 1 guy trying to get the bike off the stand and another grabbing my bmx bike. Both guys ran and I went inside to have my girl call 911 and grab my firearm. When I came back about 30 seconds later the bikes was gone. Ran down the road and saw one of the guy trying to stuff my bmx in their get away car. he then ran off when he saw me and left the car. Cops came and brought the k9 unit and ended up getting one of the 2 guys but one guy got away. few hours later cops found the bike 1 street over behind someone's house. The get away car was stuffed full of stolen stuff like stereo stuff and lap top bags etc. Car was also stolen. guy they caught ended up getting charged with 4 felonies. Not sure if he ratted his buddy out yet. Guys clearly didn't know shit about dirtbikes because he couldn't start my 17 yz450. Would you worry about an recourse from these guys or them trying to come back. Cleary they went on a robbery spree that night and I was the last person to hit and hopefully get the bike. I got new garage door remotes and chained by bike to the floor of my garage. I also got a few wireless cameras that alert my phone when they detect movement.

Curious if anyone has ever had a thief try and come back?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/14/2018 5:29pm
Just a little word of advice concerning those wireless cameras. Make sure you change the default password or input a new one if one wasn't required.

I was watching something on TV a couple weeks ago about security cameras and some of them don't require passwords and are simply plug/connect and you're good to go.

Turns out the guys doing the short documentary/investigation ended up connecting with people to let them know that their cameras were broadcasting everything to the world in real time. Homeowners weren't even aware that it was going on. They were asked why they got cameras in the first place. Some answered for piece of mind others answered the same thing as you, to get notifications on their phones. After finding out their cameras were broadcasting on the internet for all to see they were asked how they felt. Obviously some were really pissed off, some felt violted, etc.

Some of them had cameras inside their house monitoring doors, the backyard, etc. One was really pissed because he had kids and they could have easily changed outside to go swimming with everything broadcasted online for anyone to see.

Needless to say everyone that was interviewed disconnected them and got rid of them.

With one of the homeowners they showed how easy it was to hack the Alexa device, unlock the front door, play with the thermostat, lights etc. They showed a clip where some asshole was taking over the device in a babies room screaming and making scary noises to scare the baby in the night and and laughing about it.

I can't remember all the brands that were exposed on the show but do remember some of them being bought on Amazon and one other being the very popular Nest cams. I think Wink amd Schlage locks were other brands.

The security experts were saying that the best ones are the ones that require a 2 step verification process to change a password or settings.

Pretty fucked up that thieves could know exactly when you're home and when you're not.

Hopefully I was a little help to you and anyone else who read this.
fourfourone
10/14/2018 6:30pm
I don’t have any inside cams. I have 2 outdoor cameras Made by ring. When you set them up they directly tie into your WiFi. The only way to view the cams is through my iPhone. even if you connect to my WiFi you can’t use the cameras my phone is solely the only divice that can access them.
fourfourone
10/14/2018 6:31pm
Only reason I have them is that is sends me an alert as soon as it detects motion and I can see what is being recorded.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/14/2018 7:14pm
If they're connected via WiFi they're connected to the internet. You access them via your phone but the feed needs to get there somehow and that's WiFi/Internet. That's why you can check your cams no matter if you're at work, the store, on vacation, in a different country, etc.

No one would have to access your WiFi in order to view your cams. Just access the website and browse through tens of thousands of cams that are uploaded online.

Not saying yours are currently broadcasting in real time over the internet for all to see but they could very well be.

If you didn't have to put any password to set them up I'd personally set one up to be on the safe side.

The Shop

diz330
10/14/2018 8:24pm
Lucky you got it back quick. A friend had a 2014 street bike stolen with no theft insurance and then got a call 6 months later by police saying they found it. He got it back with about 8000 miles put on it and pretty beat up. They must've been riding the shit out of it everyday during that time as the engine blew up not long after.
Rickyisms
10/14/2018 9:16pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just a little word of advice concerning those wireless cameras. Make sure you change the default password or input a new one if one wasn't required...
Just a little word of advice concerning those wireless cameras. Make sure you change the default password or input a new one if one wasn't required.

I was watching something on TV a couple weeks ago about security cameras and some of them don't require passwords and are simply plug/connect and you're good to go.

Turns out the guys doing the short documentary/investigation ended up connecting with people to let them know that their cameras were broadcasting everything to the world in real time. Homeowners weren't even aware that it was going on. They were asked why they got cameras in the first place. Some answered for piece of mind others answered the same thing as you, to get notifications on their phones. After finding out their cameras were broadcasting on the internet for all to see they were asked how they felt. Obviously some were really pissed off, some felt violted, etc.

Some of them had cameras inside their house monitoring doors, the backyard, etc. One was really pissed because he had kids and they could have easily changed outside to go swimming with everything broadcasted online for anyone to see.

Needless to say everyone that was interviewed disconnected them and got rid of them.

With one of the homeowners they showed how easy it was to hack the Alexa device, unlock the front door, play with the thermostat, lights etc. They showed a clip where some asshole was taking over the device in a babies room screaming and making scary noises to scare the baby in the night and and laughing about it.

I can't remember all the brands that were exposed on the show but do remember some of them being bought on Amazon and one other being the very popular Nest cams. I think Wink amd Schlage locks were other brands.

The security experts were saying that the best ones are the ones that require a 2 step verification process to change a password or settings.

Pretty fucked up that thieves could know exactly when you're home and when you're not.

Do you happen to recall the show? Very interesting
10/14/2018 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2018 10:17pm
I would lag bolt your shit to the floor because they certainly will be back.

Asshat that robbed me came back 6 months later to my wife and a shotgun and my dog biting him.

You’re an easy score. They know it. They’ll be back.

Best thing to do is set up motion detectors in your garage. or external cameras. Or both. I have motion sensors that beep. No reason garage should be beeping unless someone’s in it. Works well.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/14/2018 11:31pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just a little word of advice concerning those wireless cameras. Make sure you change the default password or input a new one if one wasn't required...

Rickyisms wrote:
Do you happen to recall the show? Very interesting
It's a Canadian show called Marketplace. It's a half hour show that airs weekly.

Not sure if you'll be able to watch it since you're located in the US. It might be restricted to Canada only. I know sometimes I can't watch certain video's because they aren't made available to Canada/My Location.

Here's the episode I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/-P0rSnt2HSU?rel=0

They have other interesting topics if you browse through their channel.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
10/15/2018 1:05am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 1:20am
I was out getting loose one night. My mum and dad were home asleep, my sister, her hubby, and their 2 toddler aged daughters were visiting for the weekend. Nice neighbourhood, cars parked in the driveway, and the garage is part of the house. Had 2 new '01 YZ125's, a new '01 YZ426, my Mate's 2000 YZ426, my Specialized FSR, Karcher, Astar Tech 8's Sidi's, everything! The little fucks decided to come around the back, kick the fuck out of the backdoor, and go through the laundry into the garage. It was an electric garage door and the button was a mission to find (as was the light switch).

My dad woke up and went downstairs and the little turds pissbolted out the door and dropped a pair of scissors on their way out.
There was a stolen car parked down the road but the people who picked it up seemed suss as fuck. The cops were useless, hahaha. Had a couple of mates that weren't so lucky.

My Brother in-law was a screw at the time too. Useless as tits on a bull, snoring away.Laughing

Edit; Just drankn' and wanted to share that... Again.
Sorry I was of absolutely no help. Laughing
fourfourone
10/15/2018 3:45am
I would lag bolt your shit to the floor because they certainly will be back. Asshat that robbed me came back 6 months later to my...

Asshat that robbed me came back 6 months later to my wife and a shotgun and my dog biting him.

Best thing to do is set up motion detectors in your garage. or external cameras. Or both. I have motion sensors that beep. No reason garage should be beeping unless someone’s in it. Works well.
local cops were saying since they were breaking into cars that they are smash and grab type criminals. There goal is to avoid contact with anyone. Since they couldn't get it the first time the officers said they most likely wont come back. They know that the garage remote wont be in the car anymore and that I will most likely take extra measures to keep the bike safe. I live in a condo so to get to the garage now they would have to actually break in witch Is a whole other ball game when it comes to being a criminal. but now with cameras and 2 chains lagged to my concrete floor and a disc break lock, they would need some time to get that thing out of the garage.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/15/2018 2:29pm
I would lag bolt your shit to the floor because they certainly will be back. Asshat that robbed me came back 6 months later to my...

local cops were saying since they were breaking into cars that they are smash and grab type criminals. There goal is to avoid contact with anyone...
local cops were saying since they were breaking into cars that they are smash and grab type criminals. There goal is to avoid contact with anyone. Since they couldn't get it the first time the officers said they most likely wont come back. They know that the garage remote wont be in the car anymore and that I will most likely take extra measures to keep the bike safe. I live in a condo so to get to the garage now they would have to actually break in witch Is a whole other ball game when it comes to being a criminal. but now with cameras and 2 chains lagged to my concrete floor and a disc break lock, they would need some time to get that thing out of the garage.
+ they'll make a lot of noise doing it.

Make it hard enough for those guys to steal your stuff and maybe they'll try someone else's instead. That's about all you can do.
10/17/2018 2:53pm
This reminds me of a similar story that took place in CT about 20 yrs ago. Dude (who must remain nameless) had his KX 250 stolen out of the back of his pickup while inside eating pizza. Checked on the Bargain News (pre-internet era) and found the same bike for sale, paid a visit, determined that it was in fact his, took it for the mandatory test ride and loaded it right into his van that was parked a block over.

Thread title: Have you ever had a bike stolen, and then stole it back?
10/17/2018 6:20pm
You could see the light flickering off the window from my wife watching tv last time we got broke into.

These schmucks can be very good and fast in and out. Best thing you can do is slow them down so they run off. Hence lag bolting your shit to the floor.
TXDirt
10/17/2018 7:59pm
I'll make a long story short.

We were robbed twice by the same guy. A redneck stranger to us. Didn't even know him.

After the second time, we offered a huge reward as these were custom race bikes. The thief turned the bikes in for the reward.

I'll never forget my mom hugging this "good person" who turned the bikes in for the reward.

Thank the lord that the police were far smarter then us.

He was convicted and sentenced to pretty much restitution.... and everyone told my Mom don't bother trying to collect. It will never happen. Blah blah blah.

My mom followed up on every court date. Every update, EVERYTHING. Eventually about three years later this deadbeats grandparents wrote us a huge check to pay off the restitution.

Moral of the story: Anyone could be a suspect.

Post a reply to: Any one ever had a bike stolen and then recovered right after?

The Latest