Any of you So Cal guy's attend the 83' US festival?

RACERX69
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 5:34pm
Just saw some footage from the 83 US festival. I had no idea it was held at the "Glen Helen" Recreational center in Devore. From the footage, it seemed I recognized what looked like some of the hills of the Glen Helen MX track. Where exactly was the concert held in relationship to the GH track.?

Btw...from the looks of the footage, Triumph and the Scorpions absolutley killed it that day. Wish I was there.
|
Torco1
9/16/2010 2:55pm
It was probably where the San Manuel Amphitheater is now. If you were at the track it would be south westish I believe. I just watched something on that too on like VH1 or something like that not to long ago.
PaleBlue
9/16/2010 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2010 3:03pm
I went both years. I had no idea it was an MX track - wouldn't have meant much to me then, as I was only interested in road racing at the time. I remember seeing ad's for SX at Anaheim and laughing it looked sooo stupid. I wish I'd gone now. I suppose you live and learn.Sad
RACERX69
9/16/2010 3:14pm
PaleBlue wrote:
I went both years. I had no idea it was an MX track - wouldn't have meant much to me then, as I was only interested...
I went both years. I had no idea it was an MX track - wouldn't have meant much to me then, as I was only interested in road racing at the time. I remember seeing ad's for SX at Anaheim and laughing it looked sooo stupid. I wish I'd gone now. I suppose you live and learn.Sad
Pale,

Were you there for the Rock day? Were the Scorpions as fricken awesome as they seemed from the footage?
RACERX69
9/16/2010 3:16pm
Torco,

I bet you're correct. I've been to GH several times but can't seem to remember seeing the SM Amphiteater. Is it visable from the entrance that goes by the SBD police facility?

The Shop

Torco1
9/16/2010 3:20pm
RACERX69 wrote:
Torco, I bet you're correct. I've been to GH several times but can't seem to remember seeing the SM Amphiteater. Is it visable from the entrance...
Torco,

I bet you're correct. I've been to GH several times but can't seem to remember seeing the SM Amphiteater. Is it visable from the entrance that goes by the SBD police facility?
No, to get to it you have to go in from the 15 freeway. I dont know if there is a road you can take from the track to get to the amphitheater, I think you have to drive all the way around just to get to it.
9/16/2010 3:20pm
I told my Dad I was “staying at a friends house” and jumped on the back of that friends motorcycle and rode all the way out there…We went through a fire also, I remember being on the bike and going through the smoke and not being able to see. Well, we got there, were so wiped out from the ride and only had enough money to go in, or get a Hotel room…..Ozzy was playing when we got there….I never made it in… Sad
PaleBlue
9/16/2010 3:29pm
PaleBlue wrote:
I went both years. I had no idea it was an MX track - wouldn't have meant much to me then, as I was only interested...
RACERX69 wrote:
Pale,

Were you there for the Rock day? Were the Scorpions as fricken awesome as they seemed from the footage?
I don't remember too much about it - other than being hot and bored! The three girls I went with brightened it up for me though............
RACERX69
9/16/2010 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2010 3:31pm
MeyerLarry wrote:
I told my Dad I was “staying at a friends house” and jumped on the back of that friends motorcycle and rode all the way out...
I told my Dad I was “staying at a friends house” and jumped on the back of that friends motorcycle and rode all the way out there…We went through a fire also, I remember being on the bike and going through the smoke and not being able to see. Well, we got there, were so wiped out from the ride and only had enough money to go in, or get a Hotel room…..Ozzy was playing when we got there….I never made it in… Sad
Good story Larry! Too bad after all that, you never made it in.
glattime
Fantasy
2420th
9/16/2010 4:21pm
Not sure how this made it in to moto, but I was there and it was next door to the present track. Triumph and Scorpions were the highlights of the rock day for sure. We thought we were going down to suffer through Triumph so we could have a good place for the Scorpions. Rick Emmet killed it and have been a fan ever since. Scorpions were my favorite though. Pretty good considering the other talent that was assembled there.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/16/2010 4:32pm
I went the first year. The Pavilion side is over the hill from GH. When they do the National there, that's the hot tip place to park...unless you need to go to will call.

Let's see, the year (and day) I went, It was Tom Petty headlining, with Pat Benetar, The Cars, Dave Edmonds, Santana, and a few more that I can't remember.
Sondy132001
9/16/2010 4:47pm
GuyB wrote:
I went the first year. The Pavilion side is over the hill from GH. When they do the National there, that's the hot tip place to...
I went the first year. The Pavilion side is over the hill from GH. When they do the National there, that's the hot tip place to park...unless you need to go to will call.

Let's see, the year (and day) I went, It was Tom Petty headlining, with Pat Benetar, The Cars, Dave Edmonds, Santana, and a few more that I can't remember.
you're old Wink haha I love Oingo Boingo saw them at Irvine Meadows a 100 times but my parents wouldn't let me go to the US Festival, that's where "loose" women go lol

S
BobbyM
9/16/2010 5:09pm
is that the year the KINKS kicked ass?
jndmx
9/16/2010 5:12pm
you're old ;) haha I love Oingo Boingo saw them at Irvine Meadows a 100 times but my parents wouldn't let me go to the US...
you're old Wink haha I love Oingo Boingo saw them at Irvine Meadows a 100 times but my parents wouldn't let me go to the US Festival, that's where "loose" women go lol

S
I was living in Redondo Beach in 80/81 and we used to go see Oingo Boingo all the time at The Whiskey.
Saw X there and of course the Plasmatics.
Sondy132001
9/16/2010 5:24pm
jndmx wrote:
I was living in Redondo Beach in 80/81 and we used to go see Oingo Boingo all the time at The Whiskey. Saw X there and...
I was living in Redondo Beach in 80/81 and we used to go see Oingo Boingo all the time at The Whiskey.
I was a regular at the Roxy, Whiskey and The Glasshouse, you name em I saw em oh and the Forum, I have every ticket to every concert I went to except my first which was like 1977 and it was Andy Gibb at Long Beach Arena, I cried for hours lol

Saw Journey in 1980 at the Forum, saw U2 in 1979 at Santa Monica Civic Center, 2nd show they played in the US I believe, opening band was Suburban Lawns lol Oh My Genitals

S
Bill163
9/16/2010 5:27pm
you're old ;) haha I love Oingo Boingo saw them at Irvine Meadows a 100 times but my parents wouldn't let me go to the US...

S
jndmx wrote:
I was living in Redondo Beach in 80/81 and we used to go see Oingo Boingo all the time at The Whiskey. Saw X there and...
How about Gazzarri's remember the surf punks? the lead guitar player wore a FOX roost chest protector and High Point boots with the chrome shin plate.
His dad was Darell Dragon the Captain in Captain and Tennille.
jndmx
9/16/2010 5:40pm

S
jndmx wrote:
Bill163 wrote:
How about Gazzarri's remember the surf punks? the lead guitar player wore a FOX roost chest protector and High Point boots with the chrome shin plate...
How about Gazzarri's remember the surf punks? the lead guitar player wore a FOX roost chest protector and High Point boots with the chrome shin plate.
His dad was Darell Dragon the Captain in Captain and Tennille.
Surf Punks!!
My beach baby.....gonna break your face......go back to the valley....and don't come back!

Definitely remember Gazzarri's and the Roxy.
Spent a few nights drinking my face off in those clubs
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/16/2010 5:56pm

S
Sheesh...just because I turn 50 in a couple weeks...

Saw Oingo Boingo open for The Police at The Forum. I'm not sure more people didn't go to see them than Sting and the crew.
RACERX69
9/16/2010 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2010 6:30pm
glattime wrote:
Not sure how this made it in to moto, but I was there and it was next door to the present track. Triumph and Scorpions were...
Not sure how this made it in to moto, but I was there and it was next door to the present track. Triumph and Scorpions were the highlights of the rock day for sure. We thought we were going down to suffer through Triumph so we could have a good place for the Scorpions. Rick Emmet killed it and have been a fan ever since. Scorpions were my favorite though. Pretty good considering the other talent that was assembled there.
Ha...this is Moto. The thread started off in regard to Glen Helen.

I'm right with you on Rick Emmet. The guy is an incredible talent...voice, guitar, etc.. Triumph's music is timeless.
Trip
9/16/2010 9:28pm
jndmx wrote:
I was a regular at the Roxy, Whiskey and The Glasshouse, you name em I saw em oh and the Forum, I have every ticket to...
I was a regular at the Roxy, Whiskey and The Glasshouse, you name em I saw em oh and the Forum, I have every ticket to every concert I went to except my first which was like 1977 and it was Andy Gibb at Long Beach Arena, I cried for hours lol

Saw Journey in 1980 at the Forum, saw U2 in 1979 at Santa Monica Civic Center, 2nd show they played in the US I believe, opening band was Suburban Lawns lol Oh My Genitals

S
Glasshouse, Voodoo Glow Skulls played there like every weekend.. lol

US 83, Van Halen killed it!!!! Along with Missing Persons... 13 years old and my 19 year old cousin took me.. First concert, and nothing has come close since.

Bought Van Halen at US 83 on vhs along with Missing Persons. Both still hold up to todays music.. Nobody put on a better show than VH, even with Roth forgetting the words...

I was in a few bands that played Munchies and Glasshouse quite a bit back in the day...
TeamGreen
9/17/2010 12:02pm
Her name was Annette. Annette Rush.

Good times, good times...errrr....wait a minute...

I wasn't EVEN there!

You can't prove it!
TeamGreen
9/17/2010 12:04pm
jndmx wrote:
I was a regular at the Roxy, Whiskey and The Glasshouse, you name em I saw em oh and the Forum, I have every ticket to...

S
RHCP at the Whiskey...

Wake up, the next mornin', sleepin' in the cab of my pick-up wonderin' "How the HELL did I get here?"

Here = the gate at Carlsbad.
dougie
9/17/2010 1:46pm
We used to do a few GPs at Glen Helen each year. One of them ran us down the road that leads to the back of the ampltheater/park area. We run thru the parking lot and then back up around it up into the hills and back towards the track. Another race we'd leave the track and head out into the sand wash (on the east side an enter the Amphliter area from the east then up into the hills and back to the MX track and then on into the Sheriffs training facility. Think they do one of those Renisance festival dealys there each year. Or they used to.
Rocket88
9/20/2010 7:01am
I was there for the Clash. Me (art director) and the managing editor of a raggity OC entertainment mag went to cover it in the best Gonzo Journalism method we could muster.

So fun hanging backstage. INXS, The Stray Cats ripped it up, Oingo Boingo got every booty dancing and the 'shrooms really started to kick in when Cosmo Vinyl & the Clash held a press conference just before they went on.

They were in a bad mood and really started ripping into the whole event. Joe was pissed that they wouldn't let people bring in their own food and drinks and complained about $5.00 Wosniak Burgers (5 bones was a lot of dough for a burger in '83!).

I just stood there laughing my ass off. Good times...

Post a reply to: Any of you So Cal guy's attend the 83' US festival?

The Latest