Any good music recording PC software?

markit
Edited Date/Time 6/25/2017 2:55pm
I know we have some good Vitard's recording, I want to start doing some recording and would like something I can add on my PC. Free would be great but can pay a bit (under$150) The only mic i have ATT is a Shure SM58 but can buy abetter mic if needed?
|
borg
6/17/2017 8:33am
What you are looking for is called a DAW. Digital Audio Workstation.
Reaper is free to try. In fact you can just stay in trial for as long as you want. It is no different than the paid version. I paid the $60 partly to avoid the trial nag screen at startup. Along with the software you will need an audio interface. I use M-Audio M-Track. The SM58 is fine. In fact you will see them in every pro studio along with the SM57 which is what I use. They are the same internal mic with different grills. The 58 has a built in pop filter for vocals.

There are many considerations depending on how far into this you want to go.
markit
6/17/2017 9:35am
Can i do multi tracks on reaper? if so how many. I'm not needing super high quality, good enough for YTube and such. I had a 57 from the gigging days (80s 90s) likely still have it but its in a Crown Roy bag somewhere, have to dig. I also have a 56 Fender Champ i would like to mic so i would need it to be good enough to not ruin the sound quality of it?All i have at the time is a Strat /P bass and a Yama keyboard and acoustic guitar. I do have a Creat PA but don't think it would be of any use for this.
borg
6/17/2017 10:00am
markit wrote:
Can i do multi tracks on reaper? if so how many. I'm not needing super high quality, good enough for YTube and such. I had a...
Can i do multi tracks on reaper? if so how many. I'm not needing super high quality, good enough for YTube and such. I had a 57 from the gigging days (80s 90s) likely still have it but its in a Crown Roy bag somewhere, have to dig. I also have a 56 Fender Champ i would like to mic so i would need it to be good enough to not ruin the sound quality of it?All i have at the time is a Strat /P bass and a Yama keyboard and acoustic guitar. I do have a Creat PA but don't think it would be of any use for this.
No limit on how many tracks on Reaper. This is a very comprehensive DAW. It's not a simple entry level program. Read some reviews on it. It's pro level software.

The 58 is designed for vocals. The 57 is for instruments. They have the same internals. The 58 has a ball screen which helps defuse pops in vocals. The 57 does not. Otherwise they are the same mic internally. Either one is excellent for amp recording. Read some reviews.

For the bass and keyboard I record directly into the DAW via the audio interface. You can record the bass through an amp if you want, but I like the pure unfiltered signal. There are tons of vst's to modify the sounds of anything recorded.

Mr. G records guitar directly and modifies the sound in Reaper using a vst. I record guitar through my amp. Either way works fine.

You have almost everything you need. All you will need is some drumming software. Mr.G uses Easy Drummer I think. He will see this thread at some point and I'm sure he will offer some advice as well.

The Shop

borg
6/17/2017 10:46am
Some audio interfaces come with DAW software too. I thought I heard that Pro Tools First comes with one of the major interfaces. It would work just fine. You may not need something a s comprehensive as Reaper but bear in mind that they all work in a similar way. Once you learn how to use one, it's much easier to switch to higher end DAW. I use Reaper because my Son does and he got me started.
captmoto
6/17/2017 4:30pm
My son is into recording/producing pretty heavily so I asked him. He said audacity is a freebie and pretty good. He is using the high end Cubase program with a bunch of fancy interfaces. He says Cubase Elements is a fantastic program and the best one out there for starting out but audacity would be more beginner friendly.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseE9?product_id=CubaseE9&ad…
borg
6/17/2017 6:44pm
I'm using Superior Drummer. It's expensive but I get to use it because my Son paid for it. It allows 2 users. Mr. G would have better advice on that because 1. He's a drummer and 2. He uses a more affordable drum package. It's the same company as Superior Drummer but a less comprehensive package. More than likely, I would be happy with what G uses but I just don't know.
borg
6/17/2017 7:30pm
What is fruity loops?
markit
6/17/2017 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2017 10:10pm
Alright guys,Thanks. For now I'm going to get Reaper and play with it then I'll add the drums. It won't load on my old iPad one (time to upgrade I guess) I'll have to load it on the pc tomorrow.
Mr. G
6/17/2017 11:42pm
Reaper!
markit
6/18/2017 5:34am
I'm going to have to have the 1/4 to Z adapter for the mic also,?
markit
6/18/2017 5:40am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2017 6:09am
Not at first if I can get by without it but depending on cost maybe so? Should i load Reaper without then add it or is it best to install it first? Well i went on and installed Reaper (man it loaded quick).60 day trial.
borg
6/18/2017 8:40am
I never tried to record without the interface. Partly because the sm57 has an XLR connector and my PC does not. Any decent interface will have both 1/4 and XLR. The other issues are monitoring and headphones. The interface has all of that plus mixing for live and recorded volumes. You need that for adding tracks. It also has a mic gain control which you will use a lot. You will soon learn about latency too.
Did you download the Reaper user guide? You will need that. It helps you set up the audio driver which should be ASIO. You will probably have to download that too. It's free. Google ASIO4all. It will reduce latency to almost zero.
BTW the 60 day trial goes on forever. They never actually cut you off. You just keep getting a nag screen at startup.
markit
6/18/2017 9:07am
Alright again thanks guys, this will likely be an ongoing thread as i'm sure i'll have more Q's. Like what is a XLR andd will i loose quality going from hi Z to 1/4" adt? I do have a 16 ch Buhrenger board Could i use it? Forgot I even had it.LOL yall have me digging deep now.So for noow i'll lookeup the manual and the asio4all, Ha ha, the 57 was in the back of the champ!
markit
6/18/2017 9:09am
Ugh, looks like i'm going to have to turn the catch all back room into a music room,well it's time to clean that mess up anyhow.Shocked
borg
6/18/2017 10:22am
markit wrote:
Alright again thanks guys, this will likely be an ongoing thread as i'm sure i'll have more Q's. Like what is a XLR andd will i...
Alright again thanks guys, this will likely be an ongoing thread as i'm sure i'll have more Q's. Like what is a XLR andd will i loose quality going from hi Z to 1/4" adt? I do have a 16 ch Buhrenger board Could i use it? Forgot I even had it.LOL yall have me digging deep now.So for noow i'll lookeup the manual and the asio4all, Ha ha, the 57 was in the back of the champ!
XLR is large 3 prong connector that is pretty standard on pro mics. The SM57 is solid industry standard for mic'ing a guitar amp. Clear your mind of thinking you need a better one. BTW, depending on the model of that mixer, you may already have your audio interface. Does it have a USB out port?
borg
6/18/2017 10:22am
Not yet. US open has priority today.
Mr. G
6/18/2017 11:59am
I've been fixing up my studio a lot lately.

markit
6/18/2017 12:00pm
markit wrote:
Alright again thanks guys, this will likely be an ongoing thread as i'm sure i'll have more Q's. Like what is a XLR andd will i...
borg wrote:
XLR is large 3 prong connector that is pretty standard on pro mics. The SM57 is solid industry standard for mic'ing a guitar amp. Clear your...
XLR is large 3 prong connector that is pretty standard on pro mics. The SM57 is solid industry standard for mic'ing a guitar amp. Clear your mind of thinking you need a better one. BTW, depending on the model of that mixer, you may already have your audio interface. Does it have a USB out port?
Yea don't know if i pointed it out but back in the 80/90s when i was gigging i was using the 57 to mic my 56 Fender champ mainly for slide G stuff but was switching between my at the time Peavey VTX 2/12 and the champ.Found my old Ibe tube scramer lol and it still works, havent looked at this stuff after i got my Line six spider (10+ years).lol
borg
6/18/2017 12:07pm
Do you have a model name or number for that mixer? You may not need to buy an interface. Could save you a hundred bucks.
markit
6/18/2017 12:09pm
Other than my Line 6 every thing I have is at least 30 to 60 yrs old lol.
markit
6/18/2017 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2017 12:21pm
borg wrote:
Do you have a model name or number for that mixer? You may not need to buy an interface. Could save you a hundred bucks.
look above your post, i put up a photo of it, no usb though. The $200 would help as i am disabled naturally from a race practice crash and burn in 08,hopefully it will work at least for now??
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/18/2017 6:00pm
borg wrote:
What you are looking for is called a DAW. Digital Audio Workstation. Reaper is free to try. In fact you can just stay in trial for...
Reaper is free to try. In fact you can just stay in trial for as long as you want. It is no different than the paid version. I paid the $60 partly to avoid the trial nag screen at startup. Along with the software you will need an audio interface. I use M-Audio M-Track. The SM58 is fine. In fact you will see them in every pro studio along with the SM57 which is what I use. They are the same internal mic with different grills. The 58 has a built in pop filter for vocals.

Borg, I thought SM57s were condenser mics and SM58s are ribbon-type....?
borg
6/18/2017 6:53pm
borg wrote:
What you are looking for is called a DAW. Digital Audio Workstation. Reaper is free to try. In fact you can just stay in trial for...

Falcon wrote:
Borg, I thought SM57s were condenser mics and SM58s are ribbon-type....?
They are both cardioid dynamics and have the exact same guts. Only difference is the grill. The 58 has a ball, pop filter and the 57 does not. Either one is a great choice for home recording studios.
markit
6/19/2017 5:40am
How do you record in there no room for instruments.lol
wreckitrandy
6/19/2017 5:54am
Have you researched the value of your Champ and tube screamer?
markit
6/19/2017 7:03am
Have you researched the value of your Champ and tube screamer?
A few years back. Crazy. Its in half restored condition and needs resistors, just replaced the caps. Has a little popping.

Post a reply to: Any good music recording PC software?

The Latest