Any backcountry hunters or explorers?

Daniel816
Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 3:30pm
Hey guys, I’m looking for some advice an info. I’ll be doing a 7-10 day back country hunt alone this summer. There is zero cell service where I’m going. So I’ve used the older SPOT GPS that had basically check In and SOS. I went and looked at there site and holy hell the new one is fancy. So my question is, can you still find the old model? Is there a different product you use?
|
MR. X
5/30/2018 2:42pm
Although i love outdoors and hunting ,my time and money only allows me to stay in NY for now . Kinda hard to get lost in NY . Eventually i'll make it to kentucky or Tennessee and do a whitetail hunt with the bow. I'm not much into gun hunting. I'd love to read about your trip and preparation . What are you going after ? Gun or bow ? Location ? I have tons of questions LOL.
Daniel816
5/30/2018 3:25pm
MR. X wrote:
Although i love outdoors and hunting ,my time and money only allows me to stay in NY for now . Kinda hard to get lost in...
Although i love outdoors and hunting ,my time and money only allows me to stay in NY for now . Kinda hard to get lost in NY . Eventually i'll make it to kentucky or Tennessee and do a whitetail hunt with the bow. I'm not much into gun hunting. I'd love to read about your trip and preparation . What are you going after ? Gun or bow ? Location ? I have tons of questions LOL.
Ha ha ha I’ll gladly share and ask all the questions you want, I’m no expert though lol. So I live and will be hunting in northern Nevada and was very fortunate to draw 3 tags this year. Archery cow elk, Archery mule deer, and rifle spike elk. I had both archery tags last year and I hunted my ass off and just couldn’t deal the deal. Our archery seasons vary but run between August 1st-September 9th. So we saw temps ranging from 40-95 degrees. I learned so damn much it was overwhelming. I hunted the mule deer like it was rifle season and that was 180 from what I needed to do and I also struggled to find separation from other hunters. I scout my areas pretty heavily, stare at maps and google earth for hours and make lots of notes.

So prep wise. I’ve been shooting my bow 3-5 times a week for about 2 months. Also too I try to get to the gym 12-14 times a month. (Just how it goes with my work schedule) mountain bike, anything to build cardio. It’ll be another month before I’ll go out and actually scout for the animals themselves but I have been out looking at new area and looking for roads and access.

The SPOT question came up not because I’m worried about getting lost but because shit happens. Offers me a guaranteed way to connect with help and a way to check in so the wife doesn’t worry.
MR. X
5/30/2018 4:26pm
Even the best woodsman /backwoods hunter take satelite phones with them when way off the beaten path.

The Shop

5/30/2018 5:07pm
I use a Delorme (now gamin) in reach explorer. I can do sos, preloaded messages, gps, and I can pair it with my phone and send texts from my phone though the device.
MR. X
5/30/2018 5:27pm
What kind of rig are you shooting archery with ? Pics too !! What kind of distances are you looking to stay inside for a hunt out west?
Daniel816
5/30/2018 5:40pm
Raoul Duke wrote:
What units are you hunting in Nevada?
043-046 for deer and area 6 for elk.
Daniel816
5/30/2018 5:44pm
MR. X wrote:
What kind of rig are you shooting archery with ? Pics too !! What kind of distances are you looking to stay inside for a hunt...
What kind of rig are you shooting archery with ? Pics too !! What kind of distances are you looking to stay inside for a hunt out west?
I’m shooting a Bear Encounter. I would like to get to 45 yards but I’m pretty comfy out to 60. I’ll jave to take a pic since the one on my phone is old. This pic is at 40 yards yesterday.
Daniel816
5/30/2018 5:44pm
I use a Delorme (now gamin) in reach explorer. I can do sos, preloaded messages, gps, and I can pair it with my phone and send...
I use a Delorme (now gamin) in reach explorer. I can do sos, preloaded messages, gps, and I can pair it with my phone and send texts from my phone though the device.
Awesome I’ll look into this! Thank you!
MR. X
5/30/2018 6:20pm
I think that bow came in a 70 pound version ? I'm guessing its maxed out with some heavy arrows for elk ?
Daniel816
5/30/2018 6:45pm
MR. X wrote:
I think that bow came in a 70 pound version ? I'm guessing its maxed out with some heavy arrows for elk ?
60 but it is maxed and I use the Toxic fixed blade Broadhead.
HD1200
5/30/2018 6:53pm
MR. X wrote:
Daniel816 wrote:
Have you shot anything with the Toxic broadhead yet? I've been scared to try them really, seems like they would kill penetration, especially hitting a little bone.
Daniel816
5/30/2018 7:40pm
MR. X wrote:
Daniel816 wrote:
HD1200 wrote:
Have you shot anything with the Toxic broadhead yet? I've been scared to try them really, seems like they would kill penetration, especially hitting a little...
Have you shot anything with the Toxic broadhead yet? I've been scared to try them really, seems like they would kill penetration, especially hitting a little bone.
No big game, just a rabbit or 2. I got them because my very first archery hunt was Idaho bull elk and Idaho regs require fixes blade no mechanicals. Beings I was still green to archery I was scared to get a two blade or anything like that, that requires tuning. Reluctantly I have shot these a few times at my targets and they fly just like I’m shooting my range tips. So hopefully I can get back to you with some real experience with them.
MR. X
5/30/2018 7:56pm
I switched back to fixed blade muzzy 2 years ago . Had a problem with 2 different mechanicals and said screw it.
MelonFan123
5/30/2018 11:18pm
what do you do if/when you successfully get a large animal while by yourself?

Do you bag as much meat as you can carry..won't it go bad after a while? Or is this all a trophy hunting type deal?

I'm the farthest thing from the hunter type, grew up with surfing and dirt bikes as my main influences so I had no exposure to this type of lifestyle. Ever since I started listening to Joe Rogan podcast on occasion hunting has fascinated me since i know nothing about it.
MR. X
5/31/2018 2:59am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 3:09am
what do you do if/when you successfully get a large animal while by yourself? Do you bag as much meat as you can carry..won't it go...
what do you do if/when you successfully get a large animal while by yourself?

Do you bag as much meat as you can carry..won't it go bad after a while? Or is this all a trophy hunting type deal?

I'm the farthest thing from the hunter type, grew up with surfing and dirt bikes as my main influences so I had no exposure to this type of lifestyle. Ever since I started listening to Joe Rogan podcast on occasion hunting has fascinated me since i know nothing about it.
It all gets packed out in multiple trips if necessary . Theres guy who have made 3 or 4 trips to retrieve an animal from 10 plus miles in . A big problem is losing meat to predators while it sits there waiting to get packed out . There is people who kill stuff just for the trophy ,those people are the equivalent to hunters as the wheelie boys are to motocross .

EDIT : There is some trophy hunting that isn't completely bad ,it's a tricky situation though. People will pay big money to hunt something like an elephant ,the money from that one hunt will fund conservation efforts to keep people from poaching an animal like an elephant just for tusks . A local village will get the meat from a guided hunted and perhaps some of the money as well . Thats the part the antis will never understand.
Daniel816
5/31/2018 5:04am
Mr X pretty much nailed it. The biggest thing is to get the hide off the meet as quick as you can and get the meet cooled down. And then ya just start packing out and repeating trips. I always have 1 large cooler full of nothing but frozen milk and juice jugs so when I do get it back it goes eighth in ice and then it’s the race to load up and get home! But with good field care of your meet you shouldn’t lose any.
5/31/2018 5:53am
There are laws against leaving meat behind. In some states the horns have to be packed out last. The term "trophy hunting" is a crock. It's all a trophy, my favorite trophies are back straps.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
5/31/2018 6:40am
MR. X wrote:
I switched back to fixed blade muzzy 2 years ago . Had a problem with 2 different mechanicals and said screw it.
I shoot muzzy and took a quarter inch notch out of a tree once on a miss. Elk shoulder might be a problem but I've ripped through rib cages in whitetail without issue.
MR. X
5/31/2018 6:57am
MR. X wrote:
Log Hopper wrote:
I shoot muzzy and took a quarter inch notch out of a tree once on a miss. Elk shoulder might be a problem but I've ripped...
I shoot muzzy and took a quarter inch notch out of a tree once on a miss. Elk shoulder might be a problem but I've ripped through rib cages in whitetail without issue.
I never had a problem with muzzy fixed blade either ,not sure why I screwed around with mechanicals.
Daniel816
5/31/2018 7:26am
Are you archery guys building your own arrows too? I’m not yet, it’s something I’m really interested in learning. Had a guy explain a lot to me about arrows that your general yayhoo at the bi sporting good stores doesn’t typically offer up.
MR. X
5/31/2018 8:26am
I've been building my own arrows for a few years now . Built a jig for spine alignment. I've been shooting a 330 Easton hexx for a couple years now . 50g of brass in the end brings the total weight to 440g ,flys really good and hits hard too.

Daniel816
5/31/2018 11:59am
That’s awesome! I’d really like to get into that!
MR. X
5/31/2018 12:57pm
Daniel816 wrote:
That’s awesome! I’d really like to get into that!
You don't really need much , I've done some for people and they throw me a few bucks for supplies so I just keep a good stock of vanes on hand .

I started out with an ez fletch ,a G5 squaring tool , a stripping tool and some blazer bond glue . I bought one of those soft sided tackle boxes with the plastic trays inside for storing vanes ,nocks ,tips,wraps etc.
Cygnus
5/31/2018 5:38pm
I’ve gone quite a bit archery backcountry(wilderness) for elk. Still haven’t bagged one but I’m taking my 12 year old granddaughter with me this summer. Never used a GPS just good topo maps. Never been lost knock on wood. I will have the phone with me this season so I will be carrying a god. Probably only use it to track my distance hikes.
MelonFan123
5/31/2018 5:55pm
MR. X wrote:
It all gets packed out in multiple trips if necessary . Theres guy who have made 3 or 4 trips to retrieve an animal from 10...
It all gets packed out in multiple trips if necessary . Theres guy who have made 3 or 4 trips to retrieve an animal from 10 plus miles in . A big problem is losing meat to predators while it sits there waiting to get packed out . There is people who kill stuff just for the trophy ,those people are the equivalent to hunters as the wheelie boys are to motocross .

EDIT : There is some trophy hunting that isn't completely bad ,it's a tricky situation though. People will pay big money to hunt something like an elephant ,the money from that one hunt will fund conservation efforts to keep people from poaching an animal like an elephant just for tusks . A local village will get the meat from a guided hunted and perhaps some of the money as well . Thats the part the antis will never understand.
cool thanks for the info.

I have huge respect for people that do as you described. Kill and use as much of the animal as possible is a very cool thing.

I understand how the "trophy hunting" stuff does in fact help in the grand scheme of things. That was actually a large part of the last Rogan podcast i listened to. He went into it in pretty good detail. Even my animal lover wife is all for responsible hunting now lol

MR. X
5/31/2018 6:08pm
cool thanks for the info. I have huge respect for people that do as you described. Kill and use as much of the animal as possible...
cool thanks for the info.

I have huge respect for people that do as you described. Kill and use as much of the animal as possible is a very cool thing.

I understand how the "trophy hunting" stuff does in fact help in the grand scheme of things. That was actually a large part of the last Rogan podcast i listened to. He went into it in pretty good detail. Even my animal lover wife is all for responsible hunting now lol

The part that gets messed up is when the don't let hunters bring trophy animals home from other countries . The same guys who were getting paid to stop poachers become poachers themselves to make money.
Daniel816
5/31/2018 7:37pm
Cygnus wrote:
I’ve gone quite a bit archery backcountry(wilderness) for elk. Still haven’t bagged one but I’m taking my 12 year old granddaughter with me this summer. Never...
I’ve gone quite a bit archery backcountry(wilderness) for elk. Still haven’t bagged one but I’m taking my 12 year old granddaughter with me this summer. Never used a GPS just good topo maps. Never been lost knock on wood. I will have the phone with me this season so I will be carrying a god. Probably only use it to track my distance hikes.
Have you seen or do you use the OnX hunt maps on your phone. I do so I can save maps if I don’t have service by I also track all my hikes and stalks just to see for fun.
6/1/2018 4:28am
I use onyx, the burn layer is awesome for out west. You get an overlay of old wildfires.They come out with new layers all the time.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
6/1/2018 6:56am
I love the OnX app for property lines and owner info but I didn't know it did all these things. I'm going to have to study it harder.

Post a reply to: Any backcountry hunters or explorers?

The Latest