Any appliance repair people?

Spurdo
Edited Date/Time 10/6/2020 1:37pm
First things first, when did Maytag turn into complete dog shit? Second, what brands should I be on the market for? I've had a Maytag fridge, washer, and dryer all give up the ghost in the last 2 months. None of these items are more than 3 years old. Big disappointment coming from a 14 year old Maytag washer and dryer set that still worked well - just thought it was time to replace them. Never was too good at thinking. Getting a big run-around from Lowe's on honoring warranties. I understand the Maytag-Whirlpool-Amana-Kenmore brands may be build by the same company. What are the most trouble free brands?
|
10/1/2020 5:22pm
I think you can still buy Speed Queen appliances with confidence. We have a Samsung washer and dryer - and an extended warranty which I’ve used twice so far in the last two years of its five year life.
TXDirt
10/1/2020 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2020 8:43pm
Go cheap because no matter how much you spend they all crap out in 3-5 years. I don’t really believe one brand is better then the others. It’s all junk now.
SEEMEFIRST
10/1/2020 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2020 11:41pm
I fix broken shit for a living.

What happened?
Post symptoms.
Spurdo
10/2/2020 3:42am
Dryer lost heat, timer was bad. Icemaker quit, got a replacement icemaker. Washing machine wont turn on, dont have a clue why. I suspect a bad lid switch, but when ever I try to do an internet search, all I seem to get is "Make sure the unit is plugged in" and the like. 2 and a half year old Maytag. Saw something about turning the cycle knob left and right to do a self diag mode, but mine wont do it.

The Shop

ns503
10/2/2020 3:54am
I'm really not looking forward to the day when we'll have to start replacing our 25 year old Kenmore stuff. It is coming soon, way beyond time, but it still works even though it looks like crap by todays standards. Following this one.
10/2/2020 4:57am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2020 4:59am
For a washer / dryer, speedqueen is the only way to go.

They might not have all the fancy screens, play music, etc. but they’re rock solid.

I’m going on 7 years with mine, no issues. I believe I paid $1500 for the set new. Top load washer & gas front load dryer.
JeremyK
10/2/2020 6:01am
I just replaced the drive lugs on the washing machine agitator about a month ago . Amazing how one dollar worth of plastic parts scan make a washer not work. Now if I could just get the ice maker to work in the freezer.
Spurdo
10/2/2020 6:10am
That 10 year “limited” warranty sticker seemingly doesn’t mean shit eh?
Lowe's sublets the warranty work out to some company you've never heard of before. On the day the repair dude was suppose to look at my dryer, I get a call and they say the appointment I have for them to come out wasnt a "real appointment" and we'd have to reschedule for 3 weeks down the road. Took 2 weeks to get my fridge diagnosed, and another 3 weeks to get the part put in. Washing machine quit last night. No more Maytag for me, and no more big ticket items from Lowe's.
JeremyK
10/2/2020 7:03am
I bought an upright freezer from lowes ,I wish I could remember the brand and give them props . Long story short ,yours truly is a dip shit and didnt realize the outlet the freezer was plugged into was also controlled by the upstairs switch. So the freezer never gets cold and I have my wifes medicine and 2 deer worth of venison coming that needs to be in there . I call the help line and explain it's not getting cold and I have meat and medicine that will go bad . They called a local repairman for me who came over right away and had the repairman send the bill to them. I bought the freezer because it was made in America . I had already figured out why it wouldn't get cold before the guy got there and was way to ashamed to admit it to him.
10/2/2020 7:09am
JeremyK wrote:
I bought an upright freezer from lowes ,I wish I could remember the brand and give them props . Long story short ,yours truly is a...
I bought an upright freezer from lowes ,I wish I could remember the brand and give them props . Long story short ,yours truly is a dip shit and didnt realize the outlet the freezer was plugged into was also controlled by the upstairs switch. So the freezer never gets cold and I have my wifes medicine and 2 deer worth of venison coming that needs to be in there . I call the help line and explain it's not getting cold and I have meat and medicine that will go bad . They called a local repairman for me who came over right away and had the repairman send the bill to them. I bought the freezer because it was made in America . I had already figured out why it wouldn't get cold before the guy got there and was way to ashamed to admit it to him.
“Is your freezer plugged in?” You: yes!!!!

That’s funny. Atleast you found the problem!!
JeremyK
10/2/2020 7:29am
JeremyK wrote:
I bought an upright freezer from lowes ,I wish I could remember the brand and give them props . Long story short ,yours truly is a...
“Is your freezer plugged in?” You: yes!!!!

That’s funny. Atleast you found the problem!!
Of course I would flip the switch to turn the lights on to go see if it was getting cold and it would be running . After I figured it out I just stood there in disbelief of how stupid I was LOL.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
10/2/2020 7:41am
JeremyK wrote:
Of course I would flip the switch to turn the lights on to go see if it was getting cold and it would be running...
Of course I would flip the switch to turn the lights on to go see if it was getting cold and it would be running . After I figured it out I just stood there in disbelief of how stupid I was LOL.
Sounds like a National Lampoons Christmas Vacation skit. Laughing
Team Ideal
10/2/2020 8:01am
Speed Queen is the only brand we've had good luck with lately. Every once in awhile you'll get a good one of other brands but our SQ washer and dryer are going on 7 years without missing a beat. We had the old Maytag before that and got twenty-five years out of them. We buy from a local mom and pop joint and when we were looking they said SQ was the only thing that would really last and they could still work on.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/2/2020 8:13am
We just had a guy out to work on/replace our dryer. I asked him the same question about brands and he confirmed they all suck equally, buy the cheapest one with whatever features you want/need.

I used to fix our appliances myself, but somewhere along the way it became a full-time job and I gave up. I call our home warranty company now.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
10/2/2020 8:27am
I know an appliance repair guy. He said pretty much what everyone else said, they're all shit. He did say if you're getting new get the cheapest simplest ones they make. They all have the same basic components and no one ever uses all the different settings anyway.
10/2/2020 8:49am
That 10 year “limited” warranty sticker seemingly doesn’t mean shit eh?
Spurdo wrote:
Lowe's sublets the warranty work out to some company you've never heard of before. On the day the repair dude was suppose to look at my...
Lowe's sublets the warranty work out to some company you've never heard of before. On the day the repair dude was suppose to look at my dryer, I get a call and they say the appointment I have for them to come out wasnt a "real appointment" and we'd have to reschedule for 3 weeks down the road. Took 2 weeks to get my fridge diagnosed, and another 3 weeks to get the part put in. Washing machine quit last night. No more Maytag for me, and no more big ticket items from Lowe's.
Best Buy has the Geek Squad. Their warranty work has been timely.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/2/2020 9:22am
Spurdo wrote:
Dryer lost heat, timer was bad. Icemaker quit, got a replacement icemaker. Washing machine wont turn on, dont have a clue why. I suspect a bad...
Dryer lost heat, timer was bad. Icemaker quit, got a replacement icemaker. Washing machine wont turn on, dont have a clue why. I suspect a bad lid switch, but when ever I try to do an internet search, all I seem to get is "Make sure the unit is plugged in" and the like. 2 and a half year old Maytag. Saw something about turning the cycle knob left and right to do a self diag mode, but mine wont do it.
Is your washer a top loader? Mine was being flakey about turning on and it turned out the hinge screws were loose and not activating the door switch.
10/2/2020 9:40am
So probably should buy those Lowe’s extended warranty plans ? Or do these things shit out a day pay the warranty expiration ?
Spurdo
10/2/2020 11:53am
early wrote:
Is your washer a top loader? Mine was being flakey about turning on and it turned out the hinge screws were loose and not activating the...
Is your washer a top loader? Mine was being flakey about turning on and it turned out the hinge screws were loose and not activating the door switch.
Top load washer. I've tried every means if tripping the lid switch I could last night. Will try and take it apart tonight. Maybe a jumper wire accross the switch terminals will make something happen.
Spurdo
10/2/2020 11:57am
So probably should buy those Lowe’s extended warranty plans ? Or do these things shit out a day pay the warranty expiration ?
See the above post where I quoted you.
10/2/2020 2:29pm
I think my wife used warranty on the dryer switch and was pretty seemless. They were out in 2 days. but never purchased an extended one....
KMC440
10/2/2020 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2020 3:10pm
Bought a house ... mom 100yrs old, son late 70's, left the appliances. Samsung washer ... damn that's an awesome thing!

Older dryer that does the job but the washer is nails!

I just realized it has a chime ... ohmygawd my washer plays music !!!

Don't care, still awesome 😉
Nighttrain
10/2/2020 3:54pm
My wife and I have repaired our dryer many times. There are only a few parts that can go wrong. We take the relays to an area appliance parts store to have them tested. That’s usually the problem.

Why are all appliances sh*t now? There should be a healthy market for premium priced appliances that last 15 years like they used to.
10/2/2020 4:22pm
Nighttrain wrote:
My wife and I have repaired our dryer many times. There are only a few parts that can go wrong. We take the relays to an...
My wife and I have repaired our dryer many times. There are only a few parts that can go wrong. We take the relays to an area appliance parts store to have them tested. That’s usually the problem.

Why are all appliances sh*t now? There should be a healthy market for premium priced appliances that last 15 years like they used to.
No money in something that lasts 15-20 years bud
Spurdo
10/2/2020 5:04pm
Brought home a volt meter. 120 volts at the circuit board. Unpowered, I had good resistance and open circuit readings from the lid switch, but demolished it, because the internet said it may have a fuse inside it, internet was incorrect. Unit will not go into self diag mode, tried numerous times. Cycled every connector, still dead. I believe the circuit board it bad. I believe i'll have a new washer by this time tomorrow.
reded
10/3/2020 8:52am
I wish I had my mid-80's Whirlpool dryer and Maytag washer set back. Our new stuff is for shit, HE washer doesn't seem to do the best job and the POS dryer takes forever while displaying that it doesn't have enough airflow. My old units would have still been running fine with only a change of rollers, belt and tensioner for the dryer and a motor slide kit for the washer every ten years. According to my wife, they didn't "look good enough" for our new house.
10/4/2020 9:35am
I told my wife the same thing, the cheapest ones and the ones that don’t say he clean the best. Little loud. But so what!!
Spurdo
10/4/2020 3:39pm

Just plugged in new GE washer and dryer set. Running like a top. Will never buy another Maytag product.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
10/6/2020 1:37pm
Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool in 2005. Immediately they discontinued the much loved, ultra reliable belt drive Maytag washer and replaced it with the "modern" Whirlpool equivalent. I've heard there's a company in Mexico that copied the old belt driven Maytag washer, but never looked into it, my wife wants the fancy stuff.

We recently get rid of our fancy Sears washer and dryer made by LG. A bigger pile of crap couldn't be found at a Russian sewage treatment plant. Replaced them with the latest Samsung W & D combo, and hopefully we can get a decade of good use out of them.

Post a reply to: Any appliance repair people?

The Latest