Any Porsche enthusiasts here?

rpoint116
9/19/2018 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2018 8:06am
I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people around here.

So... I am in the process of due diligence in my first Porsche purchase. I am interested in the 911 & 718 Cayman models. I have always enjoyed motorsports and have that "Bug," now that I have the resources to purchase. I am somewhat flexible in vehicle choice. What I am looking for is the best investment scenario, the vehicle that will hold it's value the best. I want to drive it 3-4K miles a year, show it off and take good care of it. If I need to sell it in 4-10 years I want it to be a solid purchase for the market. I know there is no crystal ball and my direction is similar to many others.

I am looking to spend $65K to $140K, 2015-2018 models. During my brief recon activities so far, I am quite overwhelmed by EVERYTHING Porsche!!! Can anyone direct me towards resources whereas I can educate myself on my Porsche buying journey? Any comments would be appreciated. I hope all this makes sense.

My auto vehicle purchase experience has been limited to buying vehicles new for my wife & myself, keeping them for 10 years, then selling as a private party. I always get top dollar for the vehicles we sell. They are well maintained and taken care of. I know buying a Porsche is a whole new experience as well.

My preliminary thoughts are looking at a 1K-4K mileage 2018 used from a dealer. The original owner would have taken the hit, and the car is still new with warranty. For some reason there seems to be quite a few of these at a local dealership (which I have not visited yet). Normally I would never consider buying used from a dealer because of price & taxes, however with a Porsche it may be different. What is the general consensus?

All thoughts & comments appreciated!!
|
9/19/2018 3:08pm
Buy new if you’re keeping it. 1 owner resale’s are what people want. If you’re worried about resale you almost gotta but new.
Ebs
9/19/2018 3:36pm
993, the last of the aircooled cars, will probably always be a solid bet for something you could enjoy of a couple years and unload without worry.

Brad460
Fantasy
807th
9/19/2018 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 4:09pm
Sad Porsche story- My uncle had a ‘67 911 most of his life..he bought it in the early 70’s. The car ( and him ) were featured on My Classic Car...Won lots of best in show ..etc..

He recently had a buyer willing to pay ~$250,000 for the car- his plan was to sell it, order a brand new 911 and travel to Germany to watch it roll off the production line.

Before all that happened my aunt filed for divorced and as part of a settlement she got the Porsche in exchange for him keeping the home and rental properties.

Anyways, great cars. Obviously turbo models hold the most value.

My twins will no longer need their nanny in less than two years and so the wife and I plan on picking up a 911 convertible..

Make sure you post pictures of the car you buy!!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/19/2018 5:01pm
I have wanted a Porsche since I was old enough to know what one was. Sadly, I got married instead and now it will take until my golden years before I can afford one.

I will get a Cayman S long before a 911, just because I'm a handling guy. The 911 has more power (unless you get a boutique model like a Cayman "R",) but the mid-engine layout in the Cayman makes it more a driver's car IMO.

You mentioned investment scenarios, so I would recommend a 911. I have a feeling that the iconic nature of that car outweighs the handling characteristics any day. Investors like rare cars, so try to get something in a limited run if you can. GT3 models are probably out of the price range you mentioned, but perhaps the 911 GTS is your car:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-gts-models/911-carrera-gts/

The Shop

rpoint116
9/19/2018 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 5:41pm
Falcon wrote:
I have wanted a Porsche since I was old enough to know what one was. Sadly, I got married instead and now it will take until...
I have wanted a Porsche since I was old enough to know what one was. Sadly, I got married instead and now it will take until my golden years before I can afford one.

I will get a Cayman S long before a 911, just because I'm a handling guy. The 911 has more power (unless you get a boutique model like a Cayman "R",) but the mid-engine layout in the Cayman makes it more a driver's car IMO.

You mentioned investment scenarios, so I would recommend a 911. I have a feeling that the iconic nature of that car outweighs the handling characteristics any day. Investors like rare cars, so try to get something in a limited run if you can. GT3 models are probably out of the price range you mentioned, but perhaps the 911 GTS is your car:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-gts-models/911-carrera-gts/
Good points from everyone!!

Falcon: The GT3's are sweet!! The base cost is one thing, it's the add-ons and add-on packages that are ridiculous, but add the value to a certain extent.

There are a lot of politics between Porsche North America & their dealerships, also politics between dealerships & customers with allocations, VIP Status, Preferred Status, etc...

Rennlist is a comprehensive Porsche website w/ forums. Very inclusive & uppity but good info.

Check out this... 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS. Sticker $352K sold for $619K in 3 days. The thread is a trip to read!! I called Porsche of North Houston to find out the exclusivity of the car. They just said ALL GT2 RS's sell for $150K to $300K over sticker from the dealership. They mentioned some people with Porsche relationships have purchased dozens over the years. Here is the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1097582-2018-911-gt2-rs…

newmann
9/19/2018 6:58pm
I'm spending my Porsche money on some fugging excavation work. Sad One day...one day.Laughing
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/19/2018 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 7:07pm
I bought a couple of 997’s over the past few years and did very well on the resale of my first one. The first one was a 2008 Carrera S with around 32,000 miles. It was certified from the Porsche dealer so it was under warranty for the 2 years I owned it. Not one single issue in the 2 years. Traded it in for the exact cost price I paid, which was 45K. I did lose out on tax/registration cost but it was still a low price to pay for the car I was driving. It was a Automatic and that’s why I sold it.

The current 911 is a 2006 4S. I wanted that particular model as it has the wider body like the Turbo and after reading reviews I wanted to see what the 4 wheel drive was like. It’s a amazing car to take out on the backroads, handles like it is on rails. I expect it to hold its value fairly well also. The sticker on this one was $116,000 back n ‘06. I paid 46K

If you go with the 996 there is a intermediate shaft bearing issue that you should educate yourself on. It can destroy an engine. They improved the bearing starting around 05-06. By 07-08 the failures were very rare. Starting in 2009 I believe they went to a different engine and no more IMS issues.

Porsche’s take a huge hit over the first few years. If you have the fund I would go for the newest model you can afford and look for a certified model. If you go private seller you of course will get a better deal but you lose the comfort of having a dealer inspect and prep the car for you. One thing that will impress you is the service from Porsche, even buying a used model. I’ve taken my 2006 into Hoehn Porsche n Carlsbad for minor service and they set me up in a Porsche loaner car while it’s there, and I didn’t even buy it from them. Top notch care

Also a good magazine is called “Excellence” . Also look for the Excellence buyers guide as it’s very useful information. They put one out each year.

Really take your time and find what you want. If you want automatic I would not suggest the triptonic....it went through the 2008 models. Very slow reacting. The PDK they started in 2009 was a huge improvement. For the most fun I would go with a manual if you can find one....it’s up to you though. It is nice to sit back n enjoy without worrying about shifting if your stuck n traffic.

When you are doing your inspection be real particular that you are getting a flawless car. There are many Porsche owners that take impeccable care fk their cars and there are some perfect examples out there that are several years old. Others look like they never cared where they parked and never had them waxed/washed. Wait until you come across the spotless one, it probably means they took proper mechanical care of the car too.

To me Porsche builds excellent cars and you can’t go wrong if you do your homework. Keep us posted on what you find. Shopping for them is half the fun.

Not sure if you are after a cabriolet or coupe. I love the look of coupes but living in San Diego I went for Cabs both times. Having the top down on a nice day and hearing that motor roar is a wonderful thing. You put the windscreen up that goes behind the front seat and your hair hardly moves.

Forgot. Depending on where you live there is good and bad times to buy Porsche’s. They tend to not sell as quickly in winter as the do in the warmer months. The first one I bought was well below book value around mid January.
newmann
9/20/2018 5:22am
Great info from KennyT
mxdude105
9/20/2018 6:18am
Good info in here. I too have wanted a Porsche since I knew what they were. Bought my WRX a few years ago because it's sort of a poor man's Porsche (flat-4, turbo, awd, etc.). In a few years if I have the means, it'll be a 718 base or S with the manual.

OP, sounds like for your budget you're comfortably in 911 territory. They should hold value better than the Cayman.
Huevos450R
Fantasy
3290th
9/20/2018 6:49am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 6:51am
https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

This site will have every Porsche you can image listed at any given time. With your budget, you should only be looking for 996 or 997 Turbos!! The turbo engine is almost indestructible and doesn't have the IMS bearing issues the non-turbos will have.

Also, you're in 996 GT3 territory to, I would still prefer the Turbo.

Just be patient and look at Bring A Trailer every day and your dream car will pop-up.
rpoint116
9/20/2018 9:04am
Sincere thanks for everyone's comments.
rpoint116
9/20/2018 9:20am
KennyT wrote:
I bought a couple of 997’s over the past few years and did very well on the resale of my first one. The first one was...
I bought a couple of 997’s over the past few years and did very well on the resale of my first one. The first one was a 2008 Carrera S with around 32,000 miles. It was certified from the Porsche dealer so it was under warranty for the 2 years I owned it. Not one single issue in the 2 years. Traded it in for the exact cost price I paid, which was 45K. I did lose out on tax/registration cost but it was still a low price to pay for the car I was driving. It was a Automatic and that’s why I sold it.

The current 911 is a 2006 4S. I wanted that particular model as it has the wider body like the Turbo and after reading reviews I wanted to see what the 4 wheel drive was like. It’s a amazing car to take out on the backroads, handles like it is on rails. I expect it to hold its value fairly well also. The sticker on this one was $116,000 back n ‘06. I paid 46K

If you go with the 996 there is a intermediate shaft bearing issue that you should educate yourself on. It can destroy an engine. They improved the bearing starting around 05-06. By 07-08 the failures were very rare. Starting in 2009 I believe they went to a different engine and no more IMS issues.

Porsche’s take a huge hit over the first few years. If you have the fund I would go for the newest model you can afford and look for a certified model. If you go private seller you of course will get a better deal but you lose the comfort of having a dealer inspect and prep the car for you. One thing that will impress you is the service from Porsche, even buying a used model. I’ve taken my 2006 into Hoehn Porsche n Carlsbad for minor service and they set me up in a Porsche loaner car while it’s there, and I didn’t even buy it from them. Top notch care

Also a good magazine is called “Excellence” . Also look for the Excellence buyers guide as it’s very useful information. They put one out each year.

Really take your time and find what you want. If you want automatic I would not suggest the triptonic....it went through the 2008 models. Very slow reacting. The PDK they started in 2009 was a huge improvement. For the most fun I would go with a manual if you can find one....it’s up to you though. It is nice to sit back n enjoy without worrying about shifting if your stuck n traffic.

When you are doing your inspection be real particular that you are getting a flawless car. There are many Porsche owners that take impeccable care fk their cars and there are some perfect examples out there that are several years old. Others look like they never cared where they parked and never had them waxed/washed. Wait until you come across the spotless one, it probably means they took proper mechanical care of the car too.

To me Porsche builds excellent cars and you can’t go wrong if you do your homework. Keep us posted on what you find. Shopping for them is half the fun.

Not sure if you are after a cabriolet or coupe. I love the look of coupes but living in San Diego I went for Cabs both times. Having the top down on a nice day and hearing that motor roar is a wonderful thing. You put the windscreen up that goes behind the front seat and your hair hardly moves.

Forgot. Depending on where you live there is good and bad times to buy Porsche’s. They tend to not sell as quickly in winter as the do in the warmer months. The first one I bought was well below book value around mid January.
Thanks!

I've heard of the ims. I just ordered the buyers guide. This is going to be an interesting process, kind of excited on learning the history of Porsche. I am somewhat put-off on the "entitlement" attitude some people have who own a Porsche.

I live in Phoenix so not sure of a better time of year Smile
rpoint116
9/20/2018 9:22am
Huevos450R wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/ This site will have every Porsche you can image listed at any given time. With your budget, you should only be looking for 996 or...
https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

This site will have every Porsche you can image listed at any given time. With your budget, you should only be looking for 996 or 997 Turbos!! The turbo engine is almost indestructible and doesn't have the IMS bearing issues the non-turbos will have.

Also, you're in 996 GT3 territory to, I would still prefer the Turbo.

Just be patient and look at Bring A Trailer every day and your dream car will pop-up.
Do you know anyone who have purchased off this website? It looks pretty cool!!
Huevos450R
Fantasy
3290th
9/20/2018 10:09am
Yes, my friend sold his C5 Z06 a couple of months ago.

If you are in no hurry you can get gems on this site. And Porsches are probably the number one listing on bAt. I troll this site multiple time a day just to look at the cool stuff listed.

When a sale is completed it's up to the seller and the winning bidder to square away the deal. If any shady business happens with the sale bAt will get involved and square away the deal (ban or refund commision if you're the seller).

I really enjoy the Porsche community that will be in the comments for the Porsche listings. They can pretty much ask all the need questions for you and you can feel confident about all the right questions being asked.

Here are a few really cool cars currently listed-
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-850i-39/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-renault-r5-turbo-2/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1-5/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2018-rossion-q1r/

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/20/2018 12:56pm
KennyT wrote:
I bought a couple of 997’s over the past few years and did very well on the resale of my first one. The first one was...

rpoint116 wrote:
Thanks! I've heard of the ims. I just ordered the buyers guide. This is going to be an interesting process, kind of excited on learning the...
Thanks!

I've heard of the ims. I just ordered the buyers guide. This is going to be an interesting process, kind of excited on learning the history of Porsche. I am somewhat put-off on the "entitlement" attitude some people have who own a Porsche.

Also like someone else mentioned, the earlier Turbos have great motors and there is no IMS issue. But it sounds like you are able to afford a newer model so it shouldn’t be a concern. Wanted to let you know that the higher performance you go, it will affect the ride. Both of mine had the sport mode and I rarely used it as the ride was very harsh. Handled like crazy in sport mode but it’s omly good if you really want to push the limits, which on public roads is not the best idea. My cousin has a 997 Turbo and notched to me about it being too harsh of a ride.

My goal is to get something in the 2012-2014 range if I can ever afford it. I’ll need to wait until the prices drop a bit more.

Beware that Porsche’s are a attention getter and not always the best kind of attention. For some reason people look at them as being cars for the rich. When my work truck or the average SUV cost more than a used Porsche it is not a accurate judgement of who’s driving the car. I’m always careful just running errands in it and leaving it in too many parking lots. I use it mainly for weekend drives, much like I do my streetbikes. It would be fun as a daily driver but since I’m working construction it’s not the best idea

Keep us posted!
rpoint116
9/20/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 3:07pm
KennyT wrote:

rpoint116 wrote:
Thanks! I've heard of the ims. I just ordered the buyers guide. This is going to be an interesting process, kind of excited on learning the...
Thanks!

KennyT wrote:
Also like someone else mentioned, the earlier Turbos have great motors and there is no IMS issue. But it sounds like you are able to afford...
Also like someone else mentioned, the earlier Turbos have great motors and there is no IMS issue. But it sounds like you are able to afford a newer model so it shouldn’t be a concern. Wanted to let you know that the higher performance you go, it will affect the ride. Both of mine had the sport mode and I rarely used it as the ride was very harsh. Handled like crazy in sport mode but it’s omly good if you really want to push the limits, which on public roads is not the best idea. My cousin has a 997 Turbo and notched to me about it being too harsh of a ride.

My goal is to get something in the 2012-2014 range if I can ever afford it. I’ll need to wait until the prices drop a bit more.

Beware that Porsche’s are a attention getter and not always the best kind of attention. For some reason people look at them as being cars for the rich. When my work truck or the average SUV cost more than a used Porsche it is not a accurate judgement of who’s driving the car. I’m always careful just running errands in it and leaving it in too many parking lots. I use it mainly for weekend drives, much like I do my streetbikes. It would be fun as a daily driver but since I’m working construction it’s not the best idea

Keep us posted!
Right on, thanks!! I never thought about the negative attention aspect. It's funny, I called State Farm yesterday for a quote... same as my 2018 Tacoma TRD off-road Dbl cab.

Just got back from test driving a 2018 918 Cayman S & 2018 911. Both very nice. I could totally tell the difference. They actually have the 911 on sale. Never titled, 2K miles, dealer GM drove it 7 months. It has a good amount of specs but not over the top. It has the 4/50K warranty PLUS 1 1/2 years of the CPO Porsche warranty- unlimited mileage. Agate/Agate color/trim. Glass sun roof is nice. The sales guy got on it in the city, i got slight motion sickness. Pulled forever.

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/20/2018 3:43pm
Is that the dealer in Scottsdale? I like those guys. I went in there once to daydream and the sales dude treated me very well, even though he knew damn well I wasn't buying.

BTW, that Guards Red Cayman next to it is sort of my dream car...
Ebs
9/20/2018 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 4:35pm
Huevos450R wrote:
Yes, my friend sold his C5 Z06 a couple of months ago. If you are in no hurry you can get gems on this site. And...
Yes, my friend sold his C5 Z06 a couple of months ago.

If you are in no hurry you can get gems on this site. And Porsches are probably the number one listing on bAt. I troll this site multiple time a day just to look at the cool stuff listed.

When a sale is completed it's up to the seller and the winning bidder to square away the deal. If any shady business happens with the sale bAt will get involved and square away the deal (ban or refund commision if you're the seller).

I really enjoy the Porsche community that will be in the comments for the Porsche listings. They can pretty much ask all the need questions for you and you can feel confident about all the right questions being asked.

Here are a few really cool cars currently listed-
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-850i-39/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-renault-r5-turbo-2/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1-5/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2018-rossion-q1r/

That Renault is badass. I've known of that site but never really browsed it much, some cool stuff on there that I probably shouldn't be looking at...

80's rally car nostalgia gets me:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-audi-ur-quattro-8/
rpoint116
9/20/2018 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 5:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Is that the dealer in Scottsdale? I like those guys. I went in there once to daydream and the sales dude treated me very well, even...
Is that the dealer in Scottsdale? I like those guys. I went in there once to daydream and the sales dude treated me very well, even though he knew damn well I wasn't buying.

It’s in Gilbert. They have a guards red macan there.
rpoint116
9/20/2018 6:13pm
Falcon wrote:
Is that the dealer in Scottsdale? I like those guys. I went in there once to daydream and the sales dude treated me very well, even...

Huevos450R
Fantasy
3290th
9/20/2018 6:30pm
Falcon wrote:

rpoint116 wrote:
2018 911 GT3 Guards Red: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1092541-2018-manual-gt3-guards-red.html [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/20/288509/s1200_GR3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/20/288510/s1200_GR4.jpg[/img]
Beautiful car! For your money, you can get a real clean Turbo. At least try and get a test drive before you buy something else.

Something like this - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-porsche-911-turbo-s-3/

Also, you should really consider taking this driving school ( https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-sport-driving-school ). Barber is possibly the most beautiful course I`ve ever seen and I`ve heard nothing but great things about the program.
rpoint116
9/20/2018 10:22pm
Huevos450R wrote:
Beautiful car! For your money, you can get a real clean Turbo. At least try and get a test drive before you buy something else. Something...
Beautiful car! For your money, you can get a real clean Turbo. At least try and get a test drive before you buy something else.

Something like this - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-porsche-911-turbo-s-3/

Also, you should really consider taking this driving school ( https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-sport-driving-school ). Barber is possibly the most beautiful course I`ve ever seen and I`ve heard nothing but great things about the program.
Actually the base 911 Carrera is a twin-turbo 3.0 liter 6 cyl.

I looked at the Bring a Trailer... Pretty cool stuff.
Huevos450R
Fantasy
3290th
9/21/2018 6:49am
When I mean Turbo, I'm talking about the Turbo package.

Are you interested in a traditional H pattern gearbox? The 991 Carrera does come with the option for the 7 speed manual. If you get into the Turbo packages you`ll get the DCT(PDK).

You can find a 991 Turbo or Turbo S for your budget. It is 10x a better car. You`ll have to get an early generation (991.1) of the 991 but I promise you after you test drive it you`ll love it. The Turbo will also have a more street-able (softer) road feel and you`ll not hate your drive on the street like the GT3.

If you want to look at the 997(s), you`re able to find GT3 RS, GT3, Turbo, Turbo S in your budget.

996(s) - I would only look at Turbo S with the X50 package - larger turbos and intercoolers, PCCB brakes.

Enjoy the search!
rpoint116
9/21/2018 8:12am
Huevos450R wrote:
When I mean Turbo, I'm talking about the Turbo package. Are you interested in a traditional H pattern gearbox? The 991 Carrera does come with the...
When I mean Turbo, I'm talking about the Turbo package.

Are you interested in a traditional H pattern gearbox? The 991 Carrera does come with the option for the 7 speed manual. If you get into the Turbo packages you`ll get the DCT(PDK).

You can find a 991 Turbo or Turbo S for your budget. It is 10x a better car. You`ll have to get an early generation (991.1) of the 991 but I promise you after you test drive it you`ll love it. The Turbo will also have a more street-able (softer) road feel and you`ll not hate your drive on the street like the GT3.

If you want to look at the 997(s), you`re able to find GT3 RS, GT3, Turbo, Turbo S in your budget.

996(s) - I would only look at Turbo S with the X50 package - larger turbos and intercoolers, PCCB brakes.

Enjoy the search!
I wasn't thinking when you said Turbo- I should have known what you ment Grinning

I need an automatic for my wife. I drove a 2018 911 Carrera yesterday with the PDK & its neat.
hillbilly
9/21/2018 10:14am
MR. X wrote:
https://youtu.be/C1Lrlqz3z_0

Full screen for sure .
Sully wrote:
Holy crap that was awesome!
Favorite track watch some of the fastest laps or nite laps.

The can am cars for me, the penske one or the John Paul jr team with the 935 I think I it was.

John Paul jr has a book coming out telling where all the bodies are buried,should be awsome.
rpoint116
10/14/2018 4:55pm
OK... here it is!!

2018 Porsche 911 991 Carrera. Agate Grey Metallic exterior with rare Agate Grey interior.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Post a reply to: Any Porsche enthusiasts here?

The Latest