Any Disney World Fans?

TXDirt
6/5/2018 10:58am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 6:06am
Just got back from 7 days at Disney World. Was our second time going. Opened and closed down the park each day. Longest day was a 7am-1am day at Magic Kingdom. After riding boat back to our hotel didn't get into bed until close to 2:30am.

I went with my wife and our four kids. Ages 8,7,3 and 20 months. We also brought a 15 year old girl with us to partner up with the kids and help out a bit. So in total there were 7 of us.

Spent full days at Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and then several days at Magic Kingdom. We had the park hopper so we did go back to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom for additional half days.

The new area at Animal Kingdom is called Pandora. Absolutely amazing. It's been open about a year now. The floating rocks were just like in the Avatar movie. It was very impressive from an engineering and artistic viewpoint.

Some of the places we ate at: Tony's, Coral Reef, Princess Dining at the castle, Be our Guest at the Beasts castle. Chef Mickey for breakfast, Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. The food was all top notch.

Will post up some pics when I get home.

Another thing I like, the parks are amazingly clean. When you enter in the morning there isn't so much as a piece of gum on the ground. They work very hard to keep the parks as clean as possible.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Great resort and just a spectacular structure.
|
MR. X
6/5/2018 11:27am
Is there really Disney gangs?
Donovan759
6/5/2018 11:40am
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures soon. I'm going for the first time in a month. The wife and I will be on a family vacation w/ her whole family down near Universal Studios. We're so close we figured we might as well go for a day. At first I was pretty indifferent about it all, but now that the time is getting closer, I'm really looking forward to it.
kongols
6/5/2018 11:45am
I was there in 1999. Probably it`s completely different place now.
TXDirt
6/5/2018 11:55am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2018 12:05pm
Donovan759 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures soon. I'm going for the first time in a month. The wife and I will be on a family...
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures soon. I'm going for the first time in a month. The wife and I will be on a family vacation w/ her whole family down near Universal Studios. We're so close we figured we might as well go for a day. At first I was pretty indifferent about it all, but now that the time is getting closer, I'm really looking forward to it.
You won't get much covered in a day!! What park are you going to?

I rank the parks in this order.

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

They are all fun and different.

The new Pandora area at Animal Kingdom is awesome. They have two rides there. The Navi river which was cool and then the big attraction is the Flight of Passage. Which is one of the coolest rides I have ever been on. The lines are long. I highly recommend Fast Passes for both rides. Or get to the park an hour early and be one of the first in and make your way to that area. If you have a Fast Pass the wait is 20-30 minutes. If you are in the general line then the wait can be 2+ hours.

If I had one day to go to one park it would be Magic Kingdom. That's where most of the rides are. You have the iconic castle, main street etc. Space Mtn, Thunder Mtn, Splash Mtn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pans Flight, It's a Small World, Swiss Family Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, etc etc.

The Shop

brlatm
6/5/2018 12:05pm
Take a big fat ass wallet for just eating there. We went about 5yrs ago, stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort. I was more mad that I had to pay $40 for a buffet breakfast than anything. Not really a fan of overpaying for stuff and my kids are 19 and 15 now so I won't be going back.

The rides are pretty cool inside the park, the Aerosmith one and the one that drops the shit out of you (can't recall the name).
TXDirt
6/5/2018 12:20pm
brlatm wrote:
Take a big fat ass wallet for just eating there. We went about 5yrs ago, stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort. I was more mad that...
Take a big fat ass wallet for just eating there. We went about 5yrs ago, stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort. I was more mad that I had to pay $40 for a buffet breakfast than anything. Not really a fan of overpaying for stuff and my kids are 19 and 15 now so I won't be going back.

The rides are pretty cool inside the park, the Aerosmith one and the one that drops the shit out of you (can't recall the name).
Tower of Terror and Rock N Roll Coaster over at Hollywood Studios. Two great rides.

Yes, you do pay a lot for food depending on where you eat. It's more of a case of pay as much or as little as you want.

If you want to go cheap, then go with the quick serve places.

The expensive places will be either the fine dinning, or the character dining places. For example, at Chef Mickey all of the characters come around to your table. Micky, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, etc. You can get pictures with all the kids and the characters. At Chef Mickey is was buffet style breakfast but it was easily the best buffet breakfast I've ever had. But you are really paying for those character interactions, not the food. Breakfast cost me around $250 for our group of seven. So around $40 a person. Really not that bad.

You can meet the characters in the parks, but be prepared for long lines and waiting in the heat to get a photo. So paying the extra money at the character dining to get several characters at once, and enjoy some good food at the same time isn't a bad deal.

We also did character dining at the princess castle. And all of the princesses come to your table one by one and you get pictures, kisses, etc. And the food was absolutely awesome! It wasn't buffet style. You had a menu. Again, for our group of seven it was around $300. But it was totally worth it to see the kids enjoyment from meeting all of the princesses.

We also did character dinning at Be our Guest which is at the Beasts castle. Probably the hardest place to get a reservation. The food was absolutely amazing and you got your picture with the Beast. It's a great experience and worth the money if you have kids.

TommyLee93
6/5/2018 12:36pm
Donovan759 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures soon. I'm going for the first time in a month. The wife and I will be on a family...
TXDirt wrote:
You won't get much covered in a day!! What park are you going to? I rank the parks in this order. 1. Magic Kingdom 2. Animal...

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

The new Pandora area at Animal Kingdom is awesome. They have two rides there. The Navi river which was cool and then the big attraction is the Flight of Passage. Which is one of the coolest rides I have ever been on. The lines are long. I highly recommend Fast Passes for both rides. Or get to the park an hour early and be one of the first in and make your way to that area. If you have a Fast Pass the wait is 20-30 minutes. If you are in the general line then the wait can be 2+ hours.

If I had one day to go to one park it would be Magic Kingdom. That's where most of the rides are. You have the iconic castle, main street etc. Space Mtn, Thunder Mtn, Splash Mtn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pans Flight, It's a Small World, Swiss Family Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, etc etc.
We have always tried to get to WDW every other year, but we screwed that up and have been the week of Thanksgiving for the last 3 years. This year we are going to do it a little different we are not getting the dining plan and we are only getting reservations for one meal, Thanksgiving dinner at 50's Prime Time. There are plenty of reasonable dining options if you do a little research.

I 100% agree, if you are only going to one park it has to be the Magic Kingdom.
DoctorJD
6/5/2018 1:28pm
Donovan759 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
You won't get much covered in a day!! What park are you going to? I rank the parks in this order. 1. Magic Kingdom 2. Animal...

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

I don't care for Magic Kingdom. When we go, I usually do the traditional stuff there (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain). I've been doing MK since 1973, so the luster has kind of worn off for me. The new Mine Train ride sucks. The wait times for that thing was over two hours and it lasts about 20 seconds. Luckily, we were there during a rainstorm so we only waited about 30 minutes for it.

If I had to do my personal ranking it would be:

1. Animal Kingdom. I love going there at gate-drop and being the first to get back to Expedition Everest. You can usually ride it 3 or 4 times with no wait when you get there early.

2. Hollywood Studios. Love me some Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It sucks now because half of the park is in limbo waiting or Toy Story World and Star Wars World to be completed.

3. Epcot. The older I get, the more I appreciate the World Showcase. I came close to going "Around the World" once, but stopped 2 beers short. That failure still haunts me to this day.

4. Magic Kingdom. See above.

We've been going with three families since 2004. Our kids were 3-to-12 years old back then, now we've got a couple of college boys and some high school seniors. We stopped going for a couple of years because the kids thought they were too cool for Disney. The high school girls asked us if we could reboot the trip for spring break this year. We were elated. We had a blast, but I feel like this could be the last year that most of us will go together (two more graduate next year).

I'm sure the parents will keep going, but it won't be the same.

TXDirt
6/5/2018 1:31pm
Donovan759 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

TommyLee93 wrote:
We have always tried to get to WDW every other year, but we screwed that up and have been the week of Thanksgiving for the last...
We have always tried to get to WDW every other year, but we screwed that up and have been the week of Thanksgiving for the last 3 years. This year we are going to do it a little different we are not getting the dining plan and we are only getting reservations for one meal, Thanksgiving dinner at 50's Prime Time. There are plenty of reasonable dining options if you do a little research.

I 100% agree, if you are only going to one park it has to be the Magic Kingdom.
We did the delux dining plan last trip and it's great, but the problem is we were eating too much, and spending too much time at each meal when we wanted to be riding rides. Now granted we were a large party with my family and my brothers and sisters family, etc. But meals were talking 2 hours minimum for lunches and dinners. It was insane. We even had a lunch that took three frickin hours. And we were always full from eating too. Every meal was a sit down. And you would feel like you need to do that to maximize the money you pre-paid on the dining plan.

This trip we skipped the dinning plan. I would say I probably came out about even. I think I could save money next time by splitting more meals. Some of the portions are big. Obviously we did a lot of character dinning and those are mostly paid by the head regardless of what you order. The fine dinning meals were all in line with prices I would expect at any restaurant. Nothing seemed overly priced.

Because of my small kids I wish I had made more reservations. We wanted to have breakfast one morning at our hotel and could not get a table. We did a lot of eating and snacking on the go and that can get hard on the kids after awhile.

Reservations can help remove some of the anxiety and decision making on where and what time you are going to eat. Last thing I felt like doing was searching for a place to eat after walking around all day and kids screaming for food. I just want to know where and what time and I'll be there.
TXDirt
6/5/2018 1:40pm
Donovan759 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Epcot

DoctorJD wrote:
I don't care for Magic Kingdom. When we go, I usually do the traditional stuff there (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain). I've been doing...
I don't care for Magic Kingdom. When we go, I usually do the traditional stuff there (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain). I've been doing MK since 1973, so the luster has kind of worn off for me. The new Mine Train ride sucks. The wait times for that thing was over two hours and it lasts about 20 seconds. Luckily, we were there during a rainstorm so we only waited about 30 minutes for it.

If I had to do my personal ranking it would be:

1. Animal Kingdom. I love going there at gate-drop and being the first to get back to Expedition Everest. You can usually ride it 3 or 4 times with no wait when you get there early.

2. Hollywood Studios. Love me some Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It sucks now because half of the park is in limbo waiting or Toy Story World and Star Wars World to be completed.

3. Epcot. The older I get, the more I appreciate the World Showcase. I came close to going "Around the World" once, but stopped 2 beers short. That failure still haunts me to this day.

4. Magic Kingdom. See above.

We've been going with three families since 2004. Our kids were 3-to-12 years old back then, now we've got a couple of college boys and some high school seniors. We stopped going for a couple of years because the kids thought they were too cool for Disney. The high school girls asked us if we could reboot the trip for spring break this year. We were elated. We had a blast, but I feel like this could be the last year that most of us will go together (two more graduate next year).

I'm sure the parents will keep going, but it won't be the same.

Great insights.

I like Epcot. The reason I ranked it last is because it sucks with small kids right now. If it were just me and my wife it would be great. We still go around the world and have a few drinks and eat at the different places. But when it's 100 degrees out and not a lot of shade makes for a miserable experience with the kiddos. We still managed to open and close the park somehow. lol

I like Magic Kingdom because it has more rides then the other parks. I would say for me MK is 1a and AK is 1b. I like them both for different reasons. But that could change over time with those swapping places.
TommyLee93
6/5/2018 1:50pm
TXDirt wrote:
We did the delux dining plan last trip and it's great, but the problem is we were eating too much, and spending too much time at...
We did the delux dining plan last trip and it's great, but the problem is we were eating too much, and spending too much time at each meal when we wanted to be riding rides. Now granted we were a large party with my family and my brothers and sisters family, etc. But meals were talking 2 hours minimum for lunches and dinners. It was insane. We even had a lunch that took three frickin hours. And we were always full from eating too. Every meal was a sit down. And you would feel like you need to do that to maximize the money you pre-paid on the dining plan.

This trip we skipped the dinning plan. I would say I probably came out about even. I think I could save money next time by splitting more meals. Some of the portions are big. Obviously we did a lot of character dinning and those are mostly paid by the head regardless of what you order. The fine dinning meals were all in line with prices I would expect at any restaurant. Nothing seemed overly priced.

Because of my small kids I wish I had made more reservations. We wanted to have breakfast one morning at our hotel and could not get a table. We did a lot of eating and snacking on the go and that can get hard on the kids after awhile.

Reservations can help remove some of the anxiety and decision making on where and what time you are going to eat. Last thing I felt like doing was searching for a place to eat after walking around all day and kids screaming for food. I just want to know where and what time and I'll be there.
We usually stay at Pop Century and they have a great food court with plenty of seating so we usually grab something for breakfast and then hit the parks and then again when we are dragging our butts back to the room that night.

They kids meals at some of the quick serve restaurants are big enough for most adults.
The only restaurant that I am going to miss this year is 'Ohana. That place is amazingly good!

TXDirt
6/5/2018 1:57pm
TXDirt wrote:
We did the delux dining plan last trip and it's great, but the problem is we were eating too much, and spending too much time at...

TommyLee93 wrote:
We usually stay at Pop Century and they have a great food court with plenty of seating so we usually grab something for breakfast and then...
We usually stay at Pop Century and they have a great food court with plenty of seating so we usually grab something for breakfast and then hit the parks and then again when we are dragging our butts back to the room that night.

They kids meals at some of the quick serve restaurants are big enough for most adults.
The only restaurant that I am going to miss this year is 'Ohana. That place is amazingly good!

Next time to save money I plan on staying at one of the other hotels. It's great being at one of the resorts but it is very pricey. Pop Century looked cool. Art of Animation looked fun for the kids.
6/5/2018 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2018 1:59pm
Correct. The Aerosmith ride was legit. I liked the stunt driving show to if they still have it. Had dinner at the grand Floridian and it had to be one of the fanciest places I ever had dinner.i also had a good time at pleasure island but I think it is gone. Was like New Year’s Eve every night.
TommyLee93
6/5/2018 2:22pm
TXDirt wrote:
Great insights. I like Epcot. The reason I ranked it last is because it sucks with small kids right now. If it were just me and...
Great insights.

I like Epcot. The reason I ranked it last is because it sucks with small kids right now. If it were just me and my wife it would be great. We still go around the world and have a few drinks and eat at the different places. But when it's 100 degrees out and not a lot of shade makes for a miserable experience with the kiddos. We still managed to open and close the park somehow. lol

I like Magic Kingdom because it has more rides then the other parks. I would say for me MK is 1a and AK is 1b. I like them both for different reasons. But that could change over time with those swapping places.
We are lucky, our kiddos have always liked Epcot, when they were younger they enjoyed doing the Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, but now they think it is cool to try food from different countries.

I like Animal Kingdom, but it is still a half day park for us. Get in and hit the Safari, Everest and Flight of Passage and head to Hollywood or Epcot.

AK needs to kill Dinoland in my opinion, that is a big area that they could do something really cool with.
MR. X
6/5/2018 2:45pm
The guy at work just went for 3 weeks and stayed at their resort ,he got a new room every week . I'm not sure what it cost him or how long he saved for that trip.
TXDirt
6/5/2018 2:54pm
TXDirt wrote:
Great insights. I like Epcot. The reason I ranked it last is because it sucks with small kids right now. If it were just me and...
Great insights.

TommyLee93 wrote:
We are lucky, our kiddos have always liked Epcot, when they were younger they enjoyed doing the Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, but now they think...
We are lucky, our kiddos have always liked Epcot, when they were younger they enjoyed doing the Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, but now they think it is cool to try food from different countries.

I like Animal Kingdom, but it is still a half day park for us. Get in and hit the Safari, Everest and Flight of Passage and head to Hollywood or Epcot.

AK needs to kill Dinoland in my opinion, that is a big area that they could do something really cool with.
I like the Dinosaur ride but outside of that we don't do anything else there. Needs a makeover for sure. Maybe go Jurassic Park or something totally different.

Everest is awesome. My boys love that ride. I do as well. We rode it at least 5 times.

Also Tree of Life is really awesome. And It's tough to be a Bug is pretty cool.

Our kids like the rides at Epcot. You have Test Track, Turtle Talk with Crush, Soarin, Mission Space. You can get those knocked out pretty early. Then we go walk around the world. It's always hot as hell lol
motosmith
6/5/2018 3:14pm
My wife and I took our 5 year old daughter to Disneyland this year. I was dreading the trip, convinced it was going to be a pain in the ass. We all loved it. I'm not sure who had more fun, myself or my 5 year old. I was high-fiving people in animal costumes.
TXDirt
6/5/2018 3:18pm
motosmith wrote:
My wife and I took our 5 year old daughter to Disneyland this year. I was dreading the trip, convinced it was going to be a...
My wife and I took our 5 year old daughter to Disneyland this year. I was dreading the trip, convinced it was going to be a pain in the ass. We all loved it. I'm not sure who had more fun, myself or my 5 year old. I was high-fiving people in animal costumes.
Good to hear!! We love going. Kids loved it. Me and my wife love it. It really is a Magical place.
TXDirt
6/5/2018 3:21pm
A few photos.

TXDirt
6/5/2018 3:23pm
Wish I had taken more pics of the food. Truly 5 star dinning. We ate dinner at Coral Reef over in Epcot. My wife ordered this braised short ribs with Port wine reduction. One of the best tasting things I have ever tasted. Truly phenomenal.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
6/6/2018 8:46am
Awesome!! Heck yes we are Disney freaks. We were married there and did the whole fairytail disney wedding in 2000. Our daughter was already 3 and it was amazing. We love animal kingdom lodge. Stayed there 6 times in a year 2 years ago. Everyone is so happy and gets along so well there.
Naanak
6/6/2018 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2018 1:01pm
I’ve been there close to 20 times. My parents liked it when me and my sister were little 0-7 years then we started going other places. We still to this day try to go at least every few years. I’m 22 now and still enjoy it. My parents also still enjoy but agree that the 1995-2005ish era was the best for price and what you got for your money with the parks not being as busy as they are now. That would really be my only complaint is the lack of a “slow” season.
6/6/2018 7:51pm
I really like the machine at the exit that grabs you by the ankles, whips you upside down and shakes the last bit of change out of your pockets.
MudPup545
6/7/2018 4:42pm
Absolutely love the place.
uk125250
6/7/2018 5:38pm
Coolest place ever.
6/8/2018 5:54am
My girlfriend tried getting me to go a few years ago and I was reluctant at first. I took her for her birthday and ended up liking it maybe more than she did. We've been there twice now. Definitely recommend, it's amazing what they've got going on there. Park is super clean and all the employees were very friendly too.
AngryBear
6/10/2018 9:34pm
Correct. The Aerosmith ride was legit. I liked the stunt driving show to if they still have it. Had dinner at the grand Floridian and it...
Correct. The Aerosmith ride was legit. I liked the stunt driving show to if they still have it. Had dinner at the grand Floridian and it had to be one of the fanciest places I ever had dinner.i also had a good time at pleasure island but I think it is gone. Was like New Year’s Eve every night.
yep, the stunt driving show is gone (the new star wars land they are building is replacing that area, the backlot stuff as well). pleasure island is gone as well, but disney springs took it's place and it's arguably way nicer.
AngryBear
6/10/2018 9:36pm
huge fans. go 1-2 times a year now that we have kids (5&7), went pretty much annually for the past 15yrs. had annual passes for several years to disneyland when we lived in socal, doesn't even compare to disney world, 10x more to do. it's getting to be more $$$ every year, but the new stuff they are rolling out in the last few years and have lined up for the next 5 is pretty amazing.
6/12/2018 7:14am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 7:16am
Yea. We used to race mini os every year then the following week mom and dad would take us to Disney. Awesome times. Sometimes we would go to Disney intact and sometimes we would go in casts with broken bones lol.

Great place for 5 year olds up to like 18. I had fun every year. Went super nerd last year at universal in the Harry Potter exhibit. My wife made fun of me the whole time but it was awesome.

Post a reply to: Any Disney World Fans?

The Latest