Anthony Bourdain

APLMAN99
12/27/2018 11:15am
"That's also why I believe they murdered her husband..."
G-man
8/27/2021 11:23am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2021 11:27am
Man I can't believe it's been three years since we lost Anthony, such a talent and story teller--really miss watching his awesome show....Sad
He was a NATURAL and really didn't like the fame and attention he received.

Anyway I watched this Joe Rogan podcast with his assistant/publicist of 10 years Laurie Woolever and it was pretty good. She's written two books (still completing) the second and had a role in creating his documentary.

Joe didn't make it 15 seconds out of the gate without crying as he knew what a special one of a kind person Tony was and how tragic it was for him to take his own Life at the peak of his career....

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6NLVspKgSTLlMCDcFW5NX1?si=SlZW8n6jSRic…

Pat_Boyd
8/27/2021 4:47pm
That guy was a great story teller , and I still don't believe he killed himself . I had heard , He knew a little to much about something and was going to release it, with Chris Cornell ,the musician and someone else I forget . That's two people I never thought would off them selfs. ✌️

The Shop

G-man
4/10/2022 12:51am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2022 8:27am
FYI
The movie--Roadrunner about Anthony Bourdain is on Sunday at 6:30 PM CNNHD.

Food Network frequently came under Bourdain's fire. While it seemed he was sometimes being overly critical. One of the reasons Bourdain moved over to Travel Channel from Food Network was because of a falling out with the network who wanted him to stay on the subject of food. Bourdain was on a book tour in Spain when chef Ferran Adria invited him to his kitchen to film an episode of his show, but Food Network rejected the idea. He made the episode anyway and sold it to Travel Channel, who had no problems about running the episode and it aired as a No Reservations special. Bourdain became, the world’s tour guide, a borderless diplomat, a cultural attaché bridging world’s culture. He looked like he belonged everywhere and nowhere at the same time. He listened without judgement and asked questions without even a hint of condescension. In a sleight-of-hand, he pulled you in with the food but won you over with deep, candid and revealing conversations. Bourdain elevated street food. There is no image more identifying with his persona than that of his tall, gray haired Caucasian walking through a bustling Southeast Asian night market or casually sitting on a low plastic stool by a street gutter and admiringly say:
“So many of the greatest meals of my life have been enjoyed sitting in the street eating something in a bowl and I’m not sure exactly what it is.”
Bourdain taught us that the best meal is when we shared it with a friend. He was our most fun friend, off on an adventure, writing home to us, providing us the best postcard we’ve ever received.

TG130
4/10/2022 1:55pm
I'm a late bloomer on this guy. I've never been into food shows and I didn't really know who he was until after his death. I just watched my very first episode of No Reservations about a year ago and man, I love that show. He was an awesome guy and his shows are done more from the "regular guy's" perspective. He's out partying with the elite and just the same with backwoods hillbillies. I miss him and am sorry that I didn't discover him years ago. RIP.
crowe660
Fantasy
3962nd
4/10/2022 3:36pm
TG130 wrote:
I'm a late bloomer on this guy. I've never been into food shows and I didn't really know who he was until after his death. I...
I'm a late bloomer on this guy. I've never been into food shows and I didn't really know who he was until after his death. I just watched my very first episode of No Reservations about a year ago and man, I love that show. He was an awesome guy and his shows are done more from the "regular guy's" perspective. He's out partying with the elite and just the same with backwoods hillbillies. I miss him and am sorry that I didn't discover him years ago. RIP.
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched, but I’m pretty sure this show is what led to no reservations. It’s early AB. His first half a decade doing these shows before he blew up were really raw and so great. I lost as much interest when he moved to cnn and they gave him a huge budget. It just came off as a little over produced once he became a superstar.

Sully
4/10/2022 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2022 4:50pm
TG130 wrote:
I'm a late bloomer on this guy. I've never been into food shows and I didn't really know who he was until after his death. I...
crowe660 wrote:
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched, but I’m pretty sure this show is what led to no reservations. It’s early AB. His first half...
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched, but I’m pretty sure this show is what led to no reservations. It’s early AB. His first half a decade doing these shows before he blew up were really raw and so great. I lost as much interest when he moved to cnn and they gave him a huge budget. It just came off as a little over produced once he became a superstar.

I thought the photography on the CNN show was ridiculously good. I lost interest after Trump was elected, though, and he basically went on a "sorry we elected this guy" apology tour. I watched his shows for the travel/food aspect, not to hear about his (or anyone else's) politics.
G-man
4/13/2022 10:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 6:53am
OK I finally got to finish watching it tonight pretty good documentary on the Legend that is AB.

In a nutshell he went from line cook to chef and he even admitted he wasn't even that good, but then he started to write and his book Kitchen Confidential was a huge hit and on the New York Book number one list for weeks.

He was pretty damn good at it and a married couple on a whim decided to take him on a film tour and for a while it did not go real well.
And this was all due to Tony as he had never traveled in his lifetime let alone being filmed doing it and barely communicated to them.

He was an admitted ex heroin addict and had a dark dark past that never really left him.

With all his constant traveling his two marriages failed him and you could tell he never really was comfortable with being a world renown celebrity. Tony would prefer to go unnoticed and mingle and eat with the common man or woman on the street and learn about their food and customs.
Early on there was a live Cobra the locals brought him to this outside "restaurant" then they showed it to Tony as they held it in their hands and they were ready to cut it's heart out for him to try!
They put the heart it in a bowl while it was still beating and Tony swallowed it down like it was NOTHING!!!!

"I could feel it beating as it went down my throat....."

You could kind of see the writing on the wall in the later years as he was mostly unhappy and near the end he had the couple meet him at a bar and he said he was ready to step away from it all....

Then he met that HOT young Italian film actress who he fell in love with.

When the tabloids captured pictures of her with another guy that put them over the edge and ultimately he ended his life as he could not handle any more pain.

Very sad deal as he truly was one of a kind, a FANTASTIC STORY TELLER and is missed by many..... 😢

Edit
Our beloved ocscottie was also a huge Anthony Bourdain fan and I know he would have liked this show. I miss them both. Sad
G-man
4/13/2022 10:44pm
Really feel sad for his daughter....

Post a reply to: Anthony Bourdain

The Latest