Another school shooting

m121c
3/22/2018 10:37pm
Correct. The quick fix: legislate it out of existence. PUNISH EVERYONE for the greater good of humanity and the world. US is the First country in...
Correct. The quick fix: legislate it out of existence. PUNISH EVERYONE for the greater good of humanity and the world. US is the First country in the history of the world built on keeping big government out of the lives of individuals, and here we are 200 something years later trying to slowly get back to what we seceded from.
It's crazy isn't it?

And truthfully it's not good for humanity, and for many different populations it can be very bad. History has continually proven that time and time. The only ones who benefit from big government are those who are within the government. It reeks of corruption, greed of power, and tyranny.

APLMAN99
3/23/2018 8:08pm
Squidward wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/22/251379/s1200_TJ.jpg[/img]

That's a fake Jefferson quote.........

Bry145
3/23/2018 8:20pm
If we have guns we are going to have shootings. We need to find a way to reduce the frequency and severity of the shootings that do happen.

I think the key is armed, competent, and willing security in the schools. This would be a deterrent and surely reduce the severity of school shootings.

But, I disagree with taxpayers having to foot the bill for such security. In a perfect world the parents would pay for education and security at schools. Senior citizens and childless adults shouldn't be forced to subsidize others' reproduction. Housing has gotten too expensive. School taxes are part of the problem.

The Shop

motogrady
3/23/2018 9:03pm
Squidward wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/22/251379/s1200_TJ.jpg[/img]

APLMAN99 wrote:

Maybe so.
But it is in the spirit of the way they, the founding fathers, thought.
And that is overlooked, or marginalized by many.

Squidward
3/23/2018 9:46pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

Sorry, I've been watching too much CNN.
Here's one from Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."
Besides, fact of the matter is, history has proven time and time over, when a dictatorship arises, it's due to lack of arms in the hands of citizens. I'll vote on keeping the guns.
APLMAN99
3/23/2018 9:57pm
Squidward wrote:
Sorry, I've been watching too much CNN. Here's one from Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races...
Sorry, I've been watching too much CNN.
Here's one from Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."
Besides, fact of the matter is, history has proven time and time over, when a dictatorship arises, it's due to lack of arms in the hands of citizens. I'll vote on keeping the guns.
It's not very often that I run into people who believe in Hitler's worldview and hold his opinions as absolute truths. Congrats! I guess that's a little courageous of you......
Squidward
3/23/2018 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2018 11:59pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
It's not very often that I run into people who believe in Hitler's worldview and hold his opinions as absolute truths. Congrats! I guess that's a...
It's not very often that I run into people who believe in Hitler's worldview and hold his opinions as absolute truths. Congrats! I guess that's a little courageous of you......
If that's what you take out from that, then you're as dumb as I thought. I don't have to adore Hitler to understand what he's saying. We could all learn a lot from the guy. And if there's one thing everyone should know, it's that history repeats itself.
motogrady
3/24/2018 6:07am

Apparently someone believes Hitler was right, disarming the millions he would then murder in the gas chambers,

Mr. G
3/24/2018 2:11pm
There is a certain percentage of the population that will always want harm in the name of help. You see this with the gun debate. Their stated goals history has shown to bring about more misery and death. At the moment they are a small minority but growing. Their brand of insanity infects those that have a low intellectual immune system. This is why they go after the kids. Their ideas crumble in the face of facts won hard in life.
peelout
3/27/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 1:30pm
interesting turn of events.

moral of the story, resource officer went to the aid and fired a shot which was enough to de-escalate the situation causing the little fucker to put one in his own temple. better than hiding in the bushes like a coward.
3/28/2018 11:19pm
Suppressing fire has a good affect on morale and decision making. Clearly the kid planned on going out once it got hot. Pussy.
Shiftfaced
3/29/2018 10:09am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 10:10am
I just read that the Parkland criminal is receiving fan mail from teen aged girls.

WTF?

I also read that the NRA has received triple the amount of donations that they were receiving prior to this.

Hey NRA, how about you pass that money on to the school district/families of those who were shot? If not, why not?

This is a crazy world we live in.
whyZ
3/29/2018 11:30am
I wouldn't doubt the NRA would be happy to help show some support for the districts or family's in some way, but it's nitwits like you that would turn it into an act of culpability. Until there's any reasonable theory of how the NRA is directly involved into the Parkland shooting, why would or should they?
TDeath21
4/3/2018 11:33pm
School shootings are sad. Extremely sad. How can we prevent them? Seems the only thing thus far that has been somewhat effective is having an armed guard of some sort nearby. And even then, usually some people will get murdered before the response.
4/3/2018 11:59pm
TDeath21 wrote:
School shootings are sad. Extremely sad. How can we prevent them? Seems the only thing thus far that has been somewhat effective is having an armed...
School shootings are sad. Extremely sad. How can we prevent them? Seems the only thing thus far that has been somewhat effective is having an armed guard of some sort nearby. And even then, usually some people will get murdered before the response.
I would think bulletproof vests for all students would be equally/more effective.
TXDirt
4/4/2018 6:44am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 6:45am
Bry145 wrote:
If we have guns we are going to have shootings. We need to find a way to reduce the frequency and severity of the shootings that...
If we have guns we are going to have shootings. We need to find a way to reduce the frequency and severity of the shootings that do happen.

I think the key is armed, competent, and willing security in the schools. This would be a deterrent and surely reduce the severity of school shootings.

But, I disagree with taxpayers having to foot the bill for such security. In a perfect world the parents would pay for education and security at schools. Senior citizens and childless adults shouldn't be forced to subsidize others' reproduction. Housing has gotten too expensive. School taxes are part of the problem.

I don't disagree with you that we already pay too much in taxes for certain things, but I 100% disagree with you that "Senior citizens and childless adults shouldn't be forced to subsidize others' reproduction."

You are completely wrong IMHO. You absolutely should be helping to subsidize those that reproduce responsibly because those children grow up some day to be little tax payers subsidizing you in the future. And it costs a lot of money to care for and raise those soon to be little tax payers. If people don't reproduce and create little tax payers then who will subsidize your future? Yeah that's right. No one.
TDeath21
4/4/2018 9:19am
TDeath21 wrote:
School shootings are sad. Extremely sad. How can we prevent them? Seems the only thing thus far that has been somewhat effective is having an armed...
I would think bulletproof vests for all students would be equally/more effective.
That’s not the type of environment I’d want my kid learning in that’s for sure.
Rooster
4/4/2018 1:53pm
The thing about these shootings, be they at a school or like the one at Youtube yesterday. The shooter has a death wish and an act of suicide tends to be their final act.

How does a good guy with a gun help in that situation?

You might shorten the time frame that they have to carry out their horrid plans, but we have yet to see an instance where it actually prevents anything as a systemic solution. The shooter expects to die. Hell, in the majority of cases the shooter intends to die.

I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like these events. I refuse to believe these people are simply evil and beyond hope or help. Nor that simply owning or possessing a gun creates the possibility of it's misuse. At what point do we realize that guns are neither the root cause, nor the solution.

Put a suicidal person with a gun in room with 30 other armed people and I guarantee they would or could take somebody else with them if they chose to and all those extra guns wouldn't solve shit. That same person would barely be able to hurt themselves, let alone anybody else if everybody in the room was unarmed. Of course disarming everybody when they refuse to give up their guns is obviously neither practical nor smart.

So what's the solution? Shooting a suicidal person a few moments before they intend to shoot themselves doesn't seem to be practical. We don't push jumpers off of bridges to return traffic to a normal flow. Turning schools and public spaces into militarized zones sure doesn't seem to be in line with what we envision as the peaceful society we would aspire to live in.

I would dearly love to see the NRA start a campaign that deals with the deadly potential of guns and their relationship to mental health. A campaign to remind and encourage gun owners to keep their weapons locked up and safe. A campaign that tells gun owners that perhaps it's in their interest to surrender weapons (even temporarily) if they or others with access to them are showing signs of mental instability. Create programs that can provide or at least steer people towards the help they need to get past these periods of intense suffering that may cause them to take these most extreme and horrific actions.

Programs that simply teach gun etiquette and shooting skills seems to be a highly ineffective use of their resources. At the very least, the NRA would create a better image of themselves in the public eye if they at least tried to create something that teaches gun owners that guns are not an acceptable "final solution". We could finally have a discussion about the implications of mental health and even the effects of prescription drugs intended to treat such issues. Teaching people to be more accurate shooters and how to handle their weapon properly while at the range is obviously not working out. It could be argued it simply creates better, more effective, killers.

There has to be a solution out there. Obviously nothing is 100% effective, but we've seen over and over that guns are not proving to be a solution to this problem. The only thing they are capable of doing is shortening the timeline of the event at the expense of creating a toxic environment for everybody.

More guns and more trained shooters creates a scenario where the old adage of "If your only tool is a hammer, all your problems begin to look like nails" takes over. Any firefighter will tell you that fighting a fire with more fire is a last resort. It might work in the most extreme cases, but it still creates more charred remains in the end. What's the solution to prevent the spark that sets it all off? How can we show people that there's a better solution than picking up a gun and ending it all in a final blaze of glory and how can we help them if they see the wisdom in that alternative?
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/4/2018 2:03pm
Well put Rooster. I suspect acknowledging there is a problem is not high on the NRAs list of priorities.
m121c
4/4/2018 2:14pm
Rooster wrote:
The thing about these shootings, be they at a school or like the one at Youtube yesterday. The shooter has a death wish and an act...
The thing about these shootings, be they at a school or like the one at Youtube yesterday. The shooter has a death wish and an act of suicide tends to be their final act.

How does a good guy with a gun help in that situation?

You might shorten the time frame that they have to carry out their horrid plans, but we have yet to see an instance where it actually prevents anything as a systemic solution. The shooter expects to die. Hell, in the majority of cases the shooter intends to die.

I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like these events. I refuse to believe these people are simply evil and beyond hope or help. Nor that simply owning or possessing a gun creates the possibility of it's misuse. At what point do we realize that guns are neither the root cause, nor the solution.

Put a suicidal person with a gun in room with 30 other armed people and I guarantee they would or could take somebody else with them if they chose to and all those extra guns wouldn't solve shit. That same person would barely be able to hurt themselves, let alone anybody else if everybody in the room was unarmed. Of course disarming everybody when they refuse to give up their guns is obviously neither practical nor smart.

So what's the solution? Shooting a suicidal person a few moments before they intend to shoot themselves doesn't seem to be practical. We don't push jumpers off of bridges to return traffic to a normal flow. Turning schools and public spaces into militarized zones sure doesn't seem to be in line with what we envision as the peaceful society we would aspire to live in.

I would dearly love to see the NRA start a campaign that deals with the deadly potential of guns and their relationship to mental health. A campaign to remind and encourage gun owners to keep their weapons locked up and safe. A campaign that tells gun owners that perhaps it's in their interest to surrender weapons (even temporarily) if they or others with access to them are showing signs of mental instability. Create programs that can provide or at least steer people towards the help they need to get past these periods of intense suffering that may cause them to take these most extreme and horrific actions.

Programs that simply teach gun etiquette and shooting skills seems to be a highly ineffective use of their resources. At the very least, the NRA would create a better image of themselves in the public eye if they at least tried to create something that teaches gun owners that guns are not an acceptable "final solution". We could finally have a discussion about the implications of mental health and even the effects of prescription drugs intended to treat such issues. Teaching people to be more accurate shooters and how to handle their weapon properly while at the range is obviously not working out. It could be argued it simply creates better, more effective, killers.

There has to be a solution out there. Obviously nothing is 100% effective, but we've seen over and over that guns are not proving to be a solution to this problem. The only thing they are capable of doing is shortening the timeline of the event at the expense of creating a toxic environment for everybody.

More guns and more trained shooters creates a scenario where the old adage of "If your only tool is a hammer, all your problems begin to look like nails" takes over. Any firefighter will tell you that fighting a fire with more fire is a last resort. It might work in the most extreme cases, but it still creates more charred remains in the end. What's the solution to prevent the spark that sets it all off? How can we show people that there's a better solution than picking up a gun and ending it all in a final blaze of glory and how can we help them if they see the wisdom in that alternative?
Out of curiosity, have you ever visited the NRA website or ventured out around your local area and seeked out local gun education classes and seen who put it on? Most of those things you listed they do... they don’t only “buy” off politicians like the media would like you to believe. In many states these classes like what they offer are required before you can get a CCW permit.

I think a big start is installing the American family values back into society. The divorce rate is terrible, teachers are quitting due to unruly children (and even parents), kids are all to quickly thrown on life altering drugs for “behavorial issues”, and all this during the early development of a child which has serious ramifications if you ask me.

It comes down to this imo. There are a lot of terrible things, evil things, and tragic things that happen on a daily basis. Car accidents, over doses, crime, shootings, accidents, etc. and the meat of the matter is in a free society those things will happen unfortunately. The question is, how free do you want to be?
TXDirt
4/4/2018 2:18pm
Good post, Rooster.

I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like these events.

I suspect in many cases it's not pain and anguish in a depressed sense. It selfishness, attention seeking and narcissism, and well, being evil, hateful, and vengeful. Mix all that together and you have a homicidal killer on your hands.

Everything you mentioned has layers and layers of complexities with both sides having different views. And ultimately I think the results of those things would have a negligible impact and will take decades and generations to implement.

Here is my solution.

Harden the schools. Gates, metal detectors, single controlled entrances staffed by armed guards.

That's when the shootings stop at schools.

Sure, does it suck to turn a school into a prison? Yes. But the alternative is watching dead children pile up and parents and families suffering immensely.

Gun control, mental health, external factors like social media, bullying, and on and on are complex and will take generations to sort out, and again, the impact of all those efforts may be ineffective anyways.

So lets do what will have the most impact. Harden the schools.
4/5/2018 1:26am
TXDirt wrote:
Good post, Rooster. [i]I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like...
Good post, Rooster.

I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like these events.

I suspect in many cases it's not pain and anguish in a depressed sense. It selfishness, attention seeking and narcissism, and well, being evil, hateful, and vengeful. Mix all that together and you have a homicidal killer on your hands.

Everything you mentioned has layers and layers of complexities with both sides having different views. And ultimately I think the results of those things would have a negligible impact and will take decades and generations to implement.

Here is my solution.

Harden the schools. Gates, metal detectors, single controlled entrances staffed by armed guards.

Sure, does it suck to turn a school into a prison? Yes. But the alternative is watching dead children pile up and parents and families suffering immensely.

Gun control, mental health, external factors like social media, bullying, and on and on are complex and will take generations to sort out, and again, the impact of all those efforts may be ineffective anyways.

And the school bus? And the mall? Playing fields?...
TXDirt
4/5/2018 6:43am
TXDirt wrote:
Good post, Rooster. [i]I simply can't imagine the sense of anguish and pain a person has to be feeling to plan and carry out something like...
Good post, Rooster.

Here is my solution.

And the school bus? And the mall? Playing fields?...
No risk can ever be fully mitigated to zero. When I go to the mall there is obviously a small risk of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's true for anything we do.

However, the schools are being targeted because the killers know that our most prized and cherished things are our children. And wouldn't you just know it there is literally zero security at these schools that contain societies most cherished possessions.

So the place that has our greatest assets and possessions, a place where you can inflict the most damage, has the least amount of security.

Strange don't you think?

Harden the schools. Sure, they will look for other targets. Malls, movie theaters, who knows. And guess what, they are likely going to encounter more people who conceal carry at those places then at an elementary school.

We attend a decent sized baptist church and the security is fairly tight. Multiple church members who are part of the security team are obviously concealed carrying and they man all of the entrances as well as the entrance to the worship center. And they all wear radio ear pieces and seem well coordinated and well armed. I suspect many churches are doing the same thing to protect it's members.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/5/2018 6:48am
Its a moral thing. Morals are out the window. The other day i mentioned how our city doesn't put up with litter. Well i was a town over and was caught behind a school bus. It stopped twice while i was behind it. At the stops parents were all standing around waiting for their kids. As kids got off the bus the rest of the kids just threw tons of garbage out the window. Im talking lots. The parents didn't blink an eye and didn't care. When i was akid, if someone threw one thing out the bus pulled over until a deputy came on and gave us a warning. Morals are depleted. I guarantee all those parents and kids think they are the standard of morals. I was pissed.
I went peacock bass fishing in Miami recently and there was garbage covering ten feet of every lake shoreline. I watched as construction workers threw their MacDonald bags in the lake as they finished eating clearly like they do every day. Wtf? In my city it would be cleaned and huge fines would be handed out.
4/5/2018 7:40am
Next time get out. Walk up I to the bus and ask who threw the garbage. Then watch as parents say it isn’t your place to discipline. Lol

Post a reply to: Another school shooting

The Latest