Another public land grab

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2018 7:05 PM

Utah is taking steps to transfer federal funded land over to the state , no state is in the financial position to support taking care of this land . The state will be forced to sell to private corporations .

|

7/3/2018 7:15 PM

I think this has been discussed before. Lets have a few of our Utah brothers comment. At first blush, I wonder what a guy from New York knows about Utah land use. Perhaps I'm being short sighted....

Where did you copy paste your headline from?

|

7/3/2018 7:32 PM

I thought it up all by myself . I'm a sportsman from NY ,i'm not sure why that matters . A land grab is a land grab no matter the state . I would post a link to the story but it would get political and that's against the rules . Just trying to get the word out so people can do their own research and see whats going on .

|

7/3/2018 7:52 PM

MR. X wrote:

I thought it up all by myself . I'm a sportsman from NY ,i'm not sure why that matters . A land grab is a land grab no matter ...more

Amazing isn't it? whistling

|

7/3/2018 10:04 PM

Is this what you are referring to Mr X?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/senator-mike-lee-pledges-long-term-attack-on-public-lands

A word of warning, living in an area with little public land sucks.

|

7/3/2018 10:07 PM

early wrote:

Is this what you are referring to Mr X?

...more

Yup ,once it's gone ,it's gone . Never to be returned to the public

|

7/4/2018 6:36 AM

It isn't Utah''s land and it isn't Federal land it is Public land. It belongs as much to the New Yorker as it does to someine from Utah.

|

7/4/2018 6:51 AM

My comment was meant as tongue and cheek. Sorry.

|

7/5/2018 10:16 AM

el moto diablo wrote:

It isn't Utah''s land and it isn't Federal land it is Public land. It belongs as much to the New Yorker as it does to someine ...more

Huh? Was this tongue in cheek? Why should the eastern states get to own most of the land in their states but the federal government gets to keep close to half the land in the western states?
TM

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

7/5/2018 10:48 AM

ToolMaker wrote:

Huh? Was this tongue in cheek? Why should the eastern states get to own most of the land in their states but the federal ...more

The proposal would be to turn the federal funded land over to the state ,the state would then be liable to fund the upkeep as well as any conservation ,any cost financially would be up to the state . No state is in the position to take on that kind of financial responsibility, the next step is to sell it off to private corporations .

|

7/5/2018 10:53 AM

sportsmensaccess.org

There's a petition going around to sign .

|

7/5/2018 11:15 AM

el moto diablo wrote:

It isn't Utah''s land and it isn't Federal land it is Public land. It belongs as much to the New Yorker as it does to someine ...more

ToolMaker wrote:

Huh? Was this tongue in cheek? Why should the eastern states get to own most of the land in their states but the federal ...more

MR. X wrote:

The proposal would be to turn the federal funded land over to the state ,the state would then be liable to fund the upkeep as ...more

Not really the point is it? Kind of like saying a Mom should not get custody of her child because she can't afford it. It's their state, their land, their problem if there is one.
TM

|

7/5/2018 12:55 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

Do you mean most eastern land is privately owned and off limits to the general public? There are state parks just like there are out west but very few mixed use areas like the public land available in Utah.

|

7/5/2018 1:42 PM

el moto diablo wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

early wrote:

Do you mean most eastern land is privately owned and off limits to the general public? There are state parks just like there ...more

In the western states the Feds own close to half the land vs the eastern states they only own less than 5%
Photo

|

7/5/2018 2:52 PM

TM, l realize how much federal land there is in the Western States. But the majority of the land in the east is not owned by the states it's private which means it is effectively off limits to anyone but the landowner. It is far from paradise.

|

7/5/2018 4:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 4:13 PM

Who didn't see this coming? As soon as they gave away Bears Ears and Escalante for the mining and coal interests this was a foregone conclusion. Canning Scott Pruitt came too late.

|

7/5/2018 6:52 PM

I believe Titan lives in Utah and follows these things closely. Hopefully he will come in here and provide some color...

|

7/5/2018 9:46 PM

States don't hang on to land transfered from the Federal government they sell it. They can't afford to administer it.

|

7/12/2018 10:21 AM

A land grab is when the govt. Takes land from the people, the feds own WAY too much land. Some states own WAY too much, Each state should be capped at 10% fed state owned combined land. Ya want land? Make more cash baby. That's just the facts of life, it ain't fair. I'm sure if a guy would say, get a crappy cell phone, cut the cable TV, drive a used car, I can buy cars for a grand that have 100,000 miles left in them, and I do, my dodge diesel has 478 thousand miles, still going strong, I bought it with 500 miles. Don't buy a new bike, get a used one, etc etc and you'll have big money to buy a chunk of land. Priorities my friend. I bought a house on 20 acres with a shitty house so I could have land. Raised three kids in a 1000 square foot house baby.

|

7/12/2018 11:20 AM

B DUB 333 wrote:

A land grab is when the govt. Takes land from the people, the feds own WAY too much land. Some states own WAY too much, Each ...more

That's a great story . What does it have to do citizens losing their public lands?

|

7/12/2018 12:11 PM

B DUB 333 wrote:

A land grab is when the govt. Takes land from the people, the feds own WAY too much land. Some states own WAY too much, Each ...more

MR. X wrote:

That's a great story . What does it have to do citizens losing their public lands?

The citizens already lost the land when the Feds took it. Now steps are being taken to return the land back to the state. The whole title of your thread is completely misleading.

You may not like what the state decides to do with the land. Bu that's for the state and it's citizens to decide don't you think?

|

7/12/2018 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2018 12:55 PM

B DUB 333 wrote:

MR. X wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

The citizens already lost the land when the Feds took it. Now steps are being taken to return the land back to the state. The ...more

No state can afford the upkeep on these lands and they will be sold off . The feds didn't take anything ,that land is yours and mine up until they turn it over to the state who has to sell it or go bankrupt ,then it becomes private land to who ever buys it .

|

7/12/2018 12:55 PM

MR. X wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

The citizens already lost the land when the Feds took it. Now steps are being taken to return the land back to the state. The ...more

MR. X wrote:

No state can afford the upkeep on these lands and they will be sold off . The feds didn't take anything ,that land is yours ...more

Okay and the U.S taxpayers can't afford it either.

Let Utah decide what to do with Utah's land. Not Washington.

|

7/12/2018 1:14 PM

TXDirt wrote:

MR. X wrote:

No state can afford the upkeep on these lands and they will be sold off . The feds didn't take anything ,that land is yours ...more

TXDirt wrote:

You have zero knowledge of the subject and don't give a shit how the government treats you ,you're clearly just looking for an argument , i'm not interested .

|

7/12/2018 1:30 PM

TXDirt wrote:

The people of Utah didn't have any say in the matter. This is just a simple way to turn public land, that's like yours & mine, into private land for development by private interests.MAGA.

|

7/12/2018 7:21 PM

B DUB 333 wrote:

So you’re saying if I’m a frugal person I too can buy myself 20 acres to hunt mule deer and elk on? That smokes the idea of 40 million acres of public land in Nevada to hunt, camp and ride on.

|

7/13/2018 2:37 AM

Unfamiliar with how this federally owned land is used as I'm an east coaster and this sort of thing doesn't really exist here. It's national parkland? Or just vast tracts of land owned by the federal gov?

|

7/13/2018 6:23 AM

mxdude105 wrote:

Unfamiliar with how this federally owned land is used as I'm an east coaster and this sort of thing doesn't really exist here. ...more

The federal land holdings consist of a mix of National Park Service land (NTL parks, monuments, rivers, historic sites etc.). National forest service land, and land controlled by the Bureau of Land Management or BLM land. There may be some other offices with holdings as well. There are varying degrees of regulation for different land designations even within each agency.

|

7/14/2018 5:10 AM

B DUB 333 wrote:

Raoul Duke wrote:

So you’re saying if I’m a frugal person I too can buy myself 20 acres to hunt mule deer and elk on? That smokes the idea of 40 ...more

All I've got to do is drop my $65 a month phone and $250 a month car payment, and I can save the quarter million dollars it would take to buy 20 acres of land here?! I realize land is cheaper out west, but hot damn, not everyone pulls down enough money to even dream about buying land. Don't have to be rich to use public land.

|

7/15/2018 4:55 PM

Listen, I'm not saying it's easy to buy land, I have a family of five, make around 100 a year, it takes everything I have after taxes, blah blah blah, but what I am saying is you won't even be able to buy it if it's owned by the state or fed. And if you take the time to read my post, I said that each state could own 10% between the feds n state, if you think uncle Sam owning it is the way to go great, I don't- and don't anyone tell me you can't buy land for cheap within two hours of where you live. It can be done. And I also believe states citizens should decide, your right about that. I'm not biased, if I lose a vote for what I think is right, I lose, you'll never see me acting like a baby protesting because my guy or whatever didn't win, that's democracy, sometimes ya win, sometimes ya don't. but I still think the public should own most of America, not the overreaching huge govt. We currently have.

|