Another Force crash John

hillbilly
2/25/2018 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 11:06pm
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
2/25/2018 3:20pm
I couldn't believe how many engines went boom in Pomona a couple weeks ago. It's about to come on FS1 here soon...
hillbilly
2/25/2018 5:22pm
Nothing like nitro. Can't explain the noise or pain when you stand near the start and they go by.

I bet john wanted out of that hospital ride. Said he just shook the grey melon around .
JRT812
2/25/2018 6:17pm
Crazy how it blew the body off
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
2/25/2018 6:35pm
hillbilly wrote:
Nothing like nitro. Can't explain the noise or pain when you stand near the start and they go by. I bet john wanted out of that...
Nothing like nitro. Can't explain the noise or pain when you stand near the start and they go by.

I bet john wanted out of that hospital ride. Said he just shook the grey melon around .
I spent a lot of time at Prudhomme's shop in Chatsworth growing up. I've always loved the sound and smell of a Nitro car.

I once took a co-worker to the Winter Finals a couple years back and he about shit his pants when the first pair left the line. I love drag racing almost as much as Moto.

The Shop

wreckitrandy
2/25/2018 8:23pm
There was an 1/8 mile track in Hudson for a long time. I used to ride the old 76 KX400 up there and smoke the Harley's. Fun times. The best hotdogs EVER.. No nitro cars. Good bracket racing though. Anyway, I finally got to go to Bristol a few years back. We were walking around the pits and happened up on a top fuel car. Less than ten feet behind it. They started it up. It was hittin' the most vile lick. It felt like someone punching me in the chest. Guys started laying on the front of it. Hanging off the wing. My buddy yelled, 'They're gonna set the clutch. Better hold your BAAAAMMM... The thing looked like it jumped up off the stands about three or four inches. It didn't rev up. It just exploded. The volume made me dizzy. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard. And I've heard some loud stuff. I can't imagine what it would be like to stand behind two of them leaving the line. From the stands, a hundred yards away, it blurred my vision. Pretty intense. I'd like to go back some day.
wildbill
2/25/2018 10:47pm
That looked mellow for a cat like Force. Randy, I can totally relate to the power of hp. Living near Goodlettesville Tn in the late 80's, I took the family to an 1/8 mile track just to our west. They didn't have nitro burners but, had alcohol funny cars and jet cars and, the stands went down to the track edge. I was not only scared for my life, I was shitting bricks for my family. The jet car melted the chain link fence behind the staging area. Smile
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
2/25/2018 11:22pm
i went to the US Nationals a few years back, the sound of 2 nitro cars running side by side is something so violent it cant not be explained,
JAFO92
2/26/2018 7:13am
scott_nz wrote:
i went to the US Nationals a few years back, the sound of 2 nitro cars running side by side is something so violent it cant...
i went to the US Nationals a few years back, the sound of 2 nitro cars running side by side is something so violent it cant not be explained,
^ This

Im a roundy-round guy, but will readily admit anyone who straps into anything Top-Fuel is a straight up badass. That shit is nothing short of insane to behold in person.
Ted722
2/26/2018 7:47am
First introduction to Nitro burners came back in the late 70's/early 80's except it was on water. They got capsules and twin propellers today, but back then it was a single screw and a personal parachute. Eddie Hill was "The Man (of dragboats). Later went on to win the NHRA championship too.

Nothing like the smell of Nitro in the morning!
hillbilly
2/26/2018 3:43pm
You know they hit 290 by eighth mile now.

The bravest guy on a funny car team is the dude that raises the body after burnout to let the guru set the pump and timer.

Few years back one body hooked the throttle and the car ran thru him. It burned blew the pants off the guy near the pipes . its a wild video that is probably still out there.

John's crash in Dallas in 07 ish when the car blew and cut it in half is the one that should have killed him.
ocscottie
2/26/2018 4:05pm
scott_nz wrote:
i went to the US Nationals a few years back, the sound of 2 nitro cars running side by side is something so violent it cant...
JAFO92 wrote:
^ This Im a roundy-round guy, but will readily admit anyone who straps into anything Top-Fuel is a straight up badass. That shit is nothing short...
^ This

Im a roundy-round guy, but will readily admit anyone who straps into anything Top-Fuel is a straight up badass. That shit is nothing short of insane to behold in person.
I went to one race since i been in a chair and i cant do it, when the top fuel/funny cars go by the sound hurts my legs so bad, it almost blows me out of my chair, really weird shit, it fucking HURTS. Such a strange feeling that is hard to explain, when my legs are bothering me and im having bad phantom pains if someone slams a door it even hurts them. Ill stick to watching on the TV.
vetmxr
2/26/2018 6:26pm
Man....I've never been to one.....but I'm going now.
OldYZRider1
2/26/2018 7:54pm
scott_nz wrote:
I was at qualifying for the US nationals many years ago. Until then I had never seen a Top Fuel car run. I was spectating near the start line. When they launched it was the sound, the vibration, the burning of the eyes and nose from the fuel hitting you all at once. I felt like it lit up every nerve in my body. Really unreal sensation.

I was back in the pits and they fired up one Top Fuel car apparently on alcohol. It sat there and ran pretty smooth and tame. Then one the mechanics turned a valve and apparenty introduced the nitro fuel to it because flames started shooting out the exhaust and it got pretty unruly lookin.
wreckitrandy
2/26/2018 7:56pm
We went over to see the top fuel bikes. Harley style engines. I'm guessing S&S everything? Anyway, they had a deflector type thing kinda encasing the upper part of the engine. The guys riding them were wearing bullet proof vests. The final drive chain was massive. My buddy said, 'I bet you'd like to ride one of those.' I said, "They don't make enough money to get me on that piece of junk." All night, only two bikes made full passes under power. The rest of them blew up less than two hundred yards off the line. The guys riding those are like rodeo bull riders and bomb squad guys rolled into one. They are literally hugging a grenade every time they sit on the things. NUTS.
bradnelson
2/27/2018 6:52am
scott_nz wrote:
I was at qualifying for the US nationals many years ago. Until then I had never seen a Top Fuel car run. I was spectating near...
I was at qualifying for the US nationals many years ago. Until then I had never seen a Top Fuel car run. I was spectating near the start line. When they launched it was the sound, the vibration, the burning of the eyes and nose from the fuel hitting you all at once. I felt like it lit up every nerve in my body. Really unreal sensation.

I was back in the pits and they fired up one Top Fuel car apparently on alcohol. It sat there and ran pretty smooth and tame. Then one the mechanics turned a valve and apparenty introduced the nitro fuel to it because flames started shooting out the exhaust and it got pretty unruly lookin.
Yeah, I love that. You can tell when they start dumping in the nitro. The engine starts cracking and popping. It goes from a dragon to a fire breathing dragon. And when they crack the throttle, everyone standing close by jumps about a foot back. It's awesome.
bradnelson
2/27/2018 6:53am
vetmxr wrote:
Man....I've never been to one.....but I'm going now.
Every one should go watch, at least once in their life. It is amazing.
Stuntman949
2/27/2018 7:29am
We went over to see the top fuel bikes. Harley style engines. I'm guessing S&S everything? Anyway, they had a deflector type thing kinda encasing the...
We went over to see the top fuel bikes. Harley style engines. I'm guessing S&S everything? Anyway, they had a deflector type thing kinda encasing the upper part of the engine. The guys riding them were wearing bullet proof vests. The final drive chain was massive. My buddy said, 'I bet you'd like to ride one of those.' I said, "They don't make enough money to get me on that piece of junk." All night, only two bikes made full passes under power. The rest of them blew up less than two hundred yards off the line. The guys riding those are like rodeo bull riders and bomb squad guys rolled into one. They are literally hugging a grenade every time they sit on the things. NUTS.
This is a tough watch...
Ebs
2/27/2018 12:42pm
Little blip of the throttle:

bird
2/27/2018 4:51pm
When I was a kid my whole family went to the races every year. Last summer I went back for my first time since the early 90s. It was impressive back then when they were putting out 5,000hp. Now, at roughly 11,000hp, it is utterly insane! It's awesome watching how fast the mechanics can strip those engines down to the block and rebuild them between runs. Drag races are also great to take your wife/girlfriend/daughter to. There are women in every class, and unlike most other forms of racing, they aren't just a novelty. Those ladies are racking up wins and championships.
SEEMEFIRST
2/27/2018 5:31pm
My buddy Kebin Kinsley has a nitro funny. He let me sit in it on stands a couple of times burning nitro.

No way in hell I'd drive the thing.
Nellie12
2/27/2018 5:47pm
Ted722 wrote:
First introduction to Nitro burners came back in the late 70's/early 80's except it was on water. They got capsules and twin propellers today, but back...
First introduction to Nitro burners came back in the late 70's/early 80's except it was on water. They got capsules and twin propellers today, but back then it was a single screw and a personal parachute. Eddie Hill was "The Man (of dragboats). Later went on to win the NHRA championship too.

I grew up in Wichita Falls, Tx and met Eddie a few times at his motorcycle dealership. Drag racing on land, water, then back to land. He holds an impressive list of accomplishments.
SEEMEFIRST
2/27/2018 6:47pm
Ted722 wrote:
First introduction to Nitro burners came back in the late 70's/early 80's except it was on water. They got capsules and twin propellers today, but back...

Nellie12 wrote:
I grew up in Wichita Falls, Tx and met Eddie a few times at his motorcycle dealership. Drag racing on land, water, then back to land...
I grew up in Wichita Falls, Tx and met Eddie a few times at his motorcycle dealership. Drag racing on land, water, then back to land. He holds an impressive list of accomplishments.
A stud, no doubt.
Sully
2/27/2018 7:06pm
The guy who shot this was a Navy photographer around the same time I was (he also did the X Games shot of Todd Potter (I think) that ESPN The Magazine ran as a double page spread 8-10 years ago).

A post shared by Mark Rebilas (@rebilasphoto) on Feb 25, 2018 at 3:00pm PST

" class="img-fluid" />
SEEMEFIRST
2/27/2018 7:24pm
Wow, super fast shutter?
vetmxr
2/28/2018 4:57pm
Ebs wrote:
Little blip of the throttle:

oh man......the response of that engine.......I got goosebumps watching that......
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
2/28/2018 5:40pm
If any of you have not been to a recent NHRA event I highly recommend it. Unlike moto where for some reason the riders/mechanics have a elite image of themselves where fans are not welcome in the pits, the NHRA allows total access to the pits all event long, and it comes with the admission price.

The thrill of seeing a car standing still and hitting 330MPH in under 4 seconds is indescribable. Don’t stand too close or your insides will move so much you think you’re going to explode
FolkLoar
3/1/2018 5:13am
We went over to see the top fuel bikes. Harley style engines. I'm guessing S&S everything? Anyway, they had a deflector type thing kinda encasing the...
Hey Randy, I got an email back from vital when I tried to send you a message saying your address didn’t work.
omalley
3/1/2018 10:41pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
My buddy Kebin Kinsley has a nitro funny. He let me sit in it on stands a couple of times burning nitro. No way in hell...
My buddy Kebin Kinsley has a nitro funny. He let me sit in it on stands a couple of times burning nitro.

No way in hell I'd drive the thing.
I was watching an interview with a T/F Funny Car crew chief. They asked him if he’d drive one. His response was that if you gave him the choice between a year in jail or a pass in the Funny Car, he’d take the lockup...
wreckitrandy
3/1/2018 11:06pm
FolkLoar wrote:
Hey Randy, I got an email back from vital when I tried to send you a message saying your address didn’t work.
That's probably because I'm too stupid to own a computer. I surely did something wrong or, failed to do something altogether. We'll catch up sometime.

Post a reply to: Another Force crash John

The Latest