Andrew Luck retires - wow!!

TXDirt
8/24/2019 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2019 3:20pm
|
agn5009
8/24/2019 6:56pm
This really sucks. He’s my favorite player.
KMC440
8/24/2019 7:13pm
Well Suck for Luck didn't go so well...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/24/2019 8:17pm
He is hurt more than he is healthy, good choice to retire before his next injury which would be as soon as the season starts.
ocscottie
8/24/2019 8:27pm
Sorry Irsay, aint no replacing Peyton, ya dickhead.

The Shop

Narwhal
8/25/2019 12:43am
ocscottie wrote:
Yeah, there was though. Luck was masterful in his 7 seasons here. He showed also that he could beat Peyton, as the Peyton Manning led broncos only beat the Colts once out of 3 meetings.
borg
8/25/2019 4:56am
ocscottie wrote:
At least he has David Gilmour's guitar.
8/25/2019 8:35am
Man what does this mean for the Capt Andrew Luck Twitter account?
APLMAN99
8/25/2019 9:58am
ocscottie wrote:
Narwhal wrote:
Yeah, there was though. Luck was masterful in his 7 seasons here. He showed also that he could beat Peyton, as the Peyton Manning led broncos...
Yeah, there was though. Luck was masterful in his 7 seasons here. He showed also that he could beat Peyton, as the Peyton Manning led broncos only beat the Colts once out of 3 meetings.
He was definitely good when he was healthy. Not quite sure about masterful, that may be a bit too strong.

Knowing what we do now about that draft class, does anyone in their right mind think he'd go ahead of Russell Wilson?!?!?!
BMSOBx2
8/25/2019 1:55pm
Watched him through his college career at Stanford. Really good when he came into the league. Too bad he didn't have an offensive line to protect him. Could have been great.
8/25/2019 5:54pm
Nobody gets to take many shots at Tom Brady. And he’s still playin.
agn5009
8/25/2019 8:00pm
ocscottie wrote:
Narwhal wrote:
Yeah, there was though. Luck was masterful in his 7 seasons here. He showed also that he could beat Peyton, as the Peyton Manning led broncos...
APLMAN99 wrote:
He was definitely good when he was healthy. Not quite sure about masterful, that may be a bit too strong. Knowing what we do now about...
He was definitely good when he was healthy. Not quite sure about masterful, that may be a bit too strong.

Knowing what we do now about that draft class, does anyone in their right mind think he'd go ahead of Russell Wilson?!?!?!
Aside from the early retirement, yes. Russell Wilson played on some amazing teams and has a great coach. Luck played behind one of the worst offensive lines (up until last year) had a god awful defense and atrocious run game. Up until last year the colts had one of the worst all around teams in the league. The only reason they won some games and made a few play offs is because of Andrew Luck.

On the flip side, the Seahawks won tons of games because of great coaching, a strong running game and great defenses. I’m not trying to knock Russell Wilson. He’s a good QB, he’s just not a guy who can carry an entire team like Luck was. That’s rare to find.
APLMAN99
8/25/2019 8:16pm
Narwhal wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
He was definitely good when he was healthy. Not quite sure about masterful, that may be a bit too strong. Knowing what we do now about...

agn5009 wrote:
Aside from the early retirement, yes. Russell Wilson played on some amazing teams and has a great coach. Luck played behind one of the worst offensive...
Aside from the early retirement, yes. Russell Wilson played on some amazing teams and has a great coach. Luck played behind one of the worst offensive lines (up until last year) had a god awful defense and atrocious run game. Up until last year the colts had one of the worst all around teams in the league. The only reason they won some games and made a few play offs is because of Andrew Luck.

On the flip side, the Seahawks won tons of games because of great coaching, a strong running game and great defenses. I’m not trying to knock Russell Wilson. He’s a good QB, he’s just not a guy who can carry an entire team like Luck was. That’s rare to find.
The Seahawks have probably had the worst offensive line in football nearly every season since Wilson has been in the league. That's fairly universally known.

Wilson definitely played with a dominant defense for a couple of seasons, but anyone who knows the Seahawks knows that he's been carrying the team for the last couple and with just about any other QB they'd have been a last place team. They 'should' be deep in a rebuild right now, not a playoff team. But Wilson just isn't wired that way.

Statistically he's been better in most categories, but more importantly he's simply a fierce competitor. Luck cited that he was mentally tired for his reason for retiring, and that's perfectly valid and understandable. Especially if you don't have the competitive fire that a guy like Wilson has, and brings to his team.

Personally I think that Luck is incredibly smart for retiring now that he's over the game. He could have milked it for a few years and collected another $50M or more, but it's actually courageous to admit that you no longer have the energy or desire to compete. I hope he's able to continue to be healthy and enjoy his family for a very long time.

But I truly don't think that there's a single exec in football that would choose to have Luck over Wilson as their QB for the last 8 years, unless they are extremely biased or just want to play the contrarian.
APLMAN99
8/26/2019 3:17pm
What am I missing about Luck? Extremely talented, cannon for an arm, and runs better than he was ever given credit for. Am I wrong about those things?

TXDirt
8/26/2019 4:25pm
I don’t think many would argue if you were to take Wilson over Luck. Hindsight is 20/20.

The way I look at it is Wilson would have done better with that crappy Colts team then Luck was able to do.

If you put Luck on the Seahawks then let’s assume he would have done well. Maybe even won a SB with that team. So in that sense they are even. But then you have to give the edge to Wilson because he would have done more with the Colts then Luck was able to do. I won’t even take into account injuries.

Luck was good. But something always seemed a bit off with him. I can’t really pin point even what it is. Perhaps he has sustained some concussions over his football career. Peewee to the Pros. I also wonder if all the surgeries and pain meds has led him down some dark holes. I’m not sure exactly. I wish him the best. Good QB but far from legendary.
APLMAN99
8/26/2019 6:41pm
I’m not following you. I have a pretty good idea of what Luck accomplished, and it was pretty good. Not “all time great” good, but definitely something to be proud of.

My point was that if you could redraft 2012 all over again, the draft order would likely be vastly different. That’s not really too controversial. Luck would likely only slide down a single spot, though.

Luck also had a lot more pressure on him those first couple of seasons, and that may have speeded up the mental exhaustion type of thing that he’s referred to.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
8/26/2019 7:37pm
Don't blame him. Why keep beating yourself up when you have enough cash to last the rest of your life? Surprised more don't do this, I know your ego wants to reach/set records, but I would rather come in, get my cash and get out healthy.
APLMAN99
8/26/2019 7:52pm
Again, very good numbers. Most anyone would be very, very proud of them.

Statistically, though, the only areas that Luck was able to outrank Wilson was in passing yardage per game and sacks. Wilson lead in every other area. Just facts.
APLMAN99
8/27/2019 7:35am
Well, one think I think that we will both agree on is that Doug Gottlieb's POV is a bunch of horseshit....

GD2
Fantasy
854th
8/27/2019 9:04am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Well, one think I think that we will both agree on is that Doug Gottlieb's POV is a bunch of horseshit.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/08/27/368764/s1200_Gottleib.jpg[/img]
Well, one think I think that we will both agree on is that Doug Gottlieb's POV is a bunch of horseshit....

Aikman's response was great.

APLMAN99
8/27/2019 9:09am
GD2 wrote:
Aikman's response was great. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/a21e89658ab7f45f37e31fc2a8c8e884.png[/img]
Aikman's response was great.

Aikman was a little too mild, I think.

I may not think that Luck was the better of him and Wilson, but don't take that to mean that I am not supportive of his decision to retire when it's time.

Gottlieb on the other hand is a little piece of shit whose thieving ways were smoothed over because he was "misunderstood" and "internalizing his feelings". But he's a phucking thief, nothing more. And we all hate thieves...…

His defense was that he's a "smart ass", but he's definitely just a dumb ass......
Press516
Fantasy
111th
8/27/2019 2:47pm
So.... Many.... Injuries....

I get it. Next man up!
TXDirt
8/27/2019 3:20pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
https://awfulannouncing.com/fox/doug-gottlieb-talks-stealing-credit-cards-notre-dame.html [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/08/27/368780/s1200_0DC81EC9_39EB_4F43_A0C3_2F1E0DAF7166.jpg[/img]
I thought it was something recent. Didn’t realize it was 23 years ago. Anything more recent on him?

Post a reply to: Andrew Luck retires - wow!!

The Latest