Anaheim 1 race day food

Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 12:53pm
Every year I smoke me a pork butt. It’s 5 degrees out and just put the bad boy on the pit.

|
1/6/2018 6:57am
Bone in pork butt, smoked 12-14 hours, low and slow. Makes for some good pulled pork. And yes, pork steaks.
plowboy
1/6/2018 7:25am
Man you are good. I've got a stick smoker as well but when it's this cold outside I have real trouble maintaining a constant heat. Takes a lot of attention. Gonna be lazy and cook up some smothered loin chops, cheesy tater tot casserole, bacon/green beans with buttermilk cornbread. Yeah, I might as well eat lard from the can but it tastes sooo good.
TXDirt
1/6/2018 7:48am
A little smokers trick is to cover your meats in yellow mustard liberally before adding your seasoning. Helps keep the seasoning on the meat and the seasoning from burning. The smoke neutralizes the mustard flavor so you’ll never taste that. Can use it on ribs, pork butts, whole chickens, chicken wings, etc.

Plowboy, I get my smoker as hot as I can in cold weather and smoke it for 3-6 hours. Temp not a big deal as long as I can keep 200 or higher. Then just toss it in a foil pan with some apple juice in it. Cover with foil and finish off in the oven for a few hours. After 3-6 hours on the smoker it’s not going to absorb much more smoke anyways after that. The apple juice adds a nice flavor and helps keep it moist.

Im not sure what I’m making yet. Might smoke some ribs or cook a few cask Iron steaks. If I get lazy maybe just some nachos.

The Shop

MR. X
1/6/2018 10:55am
Looks delicious . We're having pizza and wings for the kids birthday party today so i'll end up eating that . Next week maybe i'll do some venison.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/6/2018 11:18am

Most years but not this year unfortunately.

plowboy
1/6/2018 11:45am
I'm no rocket surgeon but there seems to be a direct correlation between loving dirt bikes and loving critters cooked with fire. I'm drooling and my gut is growling looking at those pics.
plowboy
1/6/2018 11:53am
TXDirt wrote:
A little smokers trick is to cover your meats in yellow mustard liberally before adding your seasoning. Helps keep the seasoning on the meat and the...
A little smokers trick is to cover your meats in yellow mustard liberally before adding your seasoning. Helps keep the seasoning on the meat and the seasoning from burning. The smoke neutralizes the mustard flavor so you’ll never taste that. Can use it on ribs, pork butts, whole chickens, chicken wings, etc.

Plowboy, I get my smoker as hot as I can in cold weather and smoke it for 3-6 hours. Temp not a big deal as long as I can keep 200 or higher. Then just toss it in a foil pan with some apple juice in it. Cover with foil and finish off in the oven for a few hours. After 3-6 hours on the smoker it’s not going to absorb much more smoke anyways after that. The apple juice adds a nice flavor and helps keep it moist.

Im not sure what I’m making yet. Might smoke some ribs or cook a few cask Iron steaks. If I get lazy maybe just some nachos.
Sounds good. I have a butt I'll try that with. What kinda sauce, if any, do you dip with? I've been experimenting with Apple cider vinegar trying to get a balance of sour/sweet/hot. Don't want to lose my Smokey pig flavor but add a little kick.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
1/6/2018 5:07pm
You bastards are killing me. I had to work today, so when I get home I'm going to bake some chicken nuggets and have a beer or 10. Living large Bro's.
TXDirt
1/6/2018 5:27pm
TXDirt wrote:
A little smokers trick is to cover your meats in yellow mustard liberally before adding your seasoning. Helps keep the seasoning on the meat and the...

plowboy wrote:
Sounds good. I have a butt I'll try that with. What kinda sauce, if any, do you dip with? I've been experimenting with Apple cider vinegar...
Sounds good. I have a butt I'll try that with. What kinda sauce, if any, do you dip with? I've been experimenting with Apple cider vinegar trying to get a balance of sour/sweet/hot. Don't want to lose my Smokey pig flavor but add a little kick.
For pulled pork I like a definite vinegar based sauce. I guess it’s more associated with North Carolina vinegar based sauces. Should be a bit thinner and tangy. Not like a think bbq sauce that I might use on ribs for example.

A pulled pork sandwich with home made coleslaw and topped with jalapeño and then a drizzle of the vinegar based sauce. Heavenly!!
1/6/2018 5:44pm
TXDirt wrote:

Never heard of using mustard, will give that a try next time. I hate mustard, but if the smoke knocks it down , I’ll give it a go. Never tried to inject yet , any tips on that? Going to try that on a smoked turkey breast for round two.
TXDirt
1/6/2018 6:22pm
TXDirt wrote:

Never heard of using mustard, will give that a try next time. I hate mustard, but if the smoke knocks it down , I’ll give it...
Never heard of using mustard, will give that a try next time. I hate mustard, but if the smoke knocks it down , I’ll give it a go. Never tried to inject yet , any tips on that? Going to try that on a smoked turkey breast for round two.
Yeah use liberal amounts of mustard. You will never taste it. It doesn’t just knock it down. You don’t taste it at all. Helps to really get that seasoning into all the cracks and crevices too. Once you smoke it you won’t even know you used mustard at all. I use it on everything i smoke.

I’ll inject turkey breast on ocassion. Just some chicken broth, butter, some seasoning. Usually I’m just not a big fan of injections. I feel like it makes my meat sorta mealy. Hard to explain. I don’t pretend to be an expert by any means. The meat just cooks differently when it’s full of injection fluid. Probably just not enough experience perhaps. Some people swear by injecting and some don’t use it at all.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/8/2018 12:39pm
I follow this guys techniques. I strain the onions and add to bushs baked beans and turn the drippings into gravy for the mashed potatoes.
yum
wfopete
1/8/2018 1:47pm
I did this for A1. Pork Loin wrapped up. I call it the Bacon Bomb. I think Mark Barnett would love it :-)

TXDirt
1/8/2018 2:05pm
wfopete wrote:
I did this for A1. Pork Loin wrapped up. I call it the Bacon Bomb. I think Mark Barnett would love it :-) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/08/236826/s1200_bacon_bomb1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/08/236827/s1200_bacon_bomb_3.jpg[/img]
I did this for A1. Pork Loin wrapped up. I call it the Bacon Bomb. I think Mark Barnett would love it :-)

Nice!

In the bbq/smoking world those are called “fatties” and are quite popular. What a lot of folks do is you use a ground beef or pork or a combination of both and then they stuff it with all sorts of things. Onions, cheese, vegetables etc. then wrap in bacon and smoke. Some of them look amazing when you cut it open.

Looks like yours turned out nice!
wfopete
1/8/2018 2:32pm
Ha ha!

I didn't tell you about that part:

It is a mixture of baby spinach, Ricotta cheese, basil, diced artichoke hearts and cooked bacon pieces. I may have over did it with the bacon although some say that is impossible. The trick is to get all that to roll up when you are done. I've also done a similar deal but used "drained" salsa. The bacon weave over the top was kinda fun to do. Be careful grilling with bacon, use a dip pan, definately use the indirect heat method and of course go "Low and Slow".

I think I gained 5 pounds just from making it.
Sprew
1/8/2018 3:18pm
Every year I smoke me a pork butt. It’s 5 degrees out and just put the bad boy on the pit. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/06/236375/s1200_255BD793_1CCE_4E58_8401_B895F9CDD3AF.jpg[/img]
Every year I smoke me a pork butt. It’s 5 degrees out and just put the bad boy on the pit.

So you are not using the firebox? Is it that cold? Mesquite?
1/8/2018 3:43pm
I never use the fire box, can’t get hot enough, even on warm days. Hickory wood chunks.
TXDirt
1/8/2018 7:00pm
wfopete wrote:
Ha ha! I didn't tell you about that part: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/08/236837/s1200_Bacon_bomb_5.jpg[/img] It is a mixture of baby spinach, Ricotta cheese, basil, diced artichoke hearts and cooked bacon...
Ha ha!

I didn't tell you about that part:

It is a mixture of baby spinach, Ricotta cheese, basil, diced artichoke hearts and cooked bacon pieces. I may have over did it with the bacon although some say that is impossible. The trick is to get all that to roll up when you are done. I've also done a similar deal but used "drained" salsa. The bacon weave over the top was kinda fun to do. Be careful grilling with bacon, use a dip pan, definately use the indirect heat method and of course go "Low and Slow".

I think I gained 5 pounds just from making it.
Sublime!!
TXDirt
1/8/2018 7:10pm
I never use the fire box, can’t get hot enough, even on warm days. Hickory wood chunks.
Have you tried using lump charcoal? It burns hotter then straight wood. I use lump chorocal and throw a few chunks of wood on each hour. If I’m doing a long smoke I will start some extra lump choracal in one of the baskets off to the side and dump that in my firebox after a few hours.

I have an offset smoker.

Just a note as I learned the hard way:

Your smoke when smoking should be “hot blue” smoke. And not a lot should be coming out. If you have a white or grey billowing smoke then your meat is going to be supper bitter. So you don’t want too much wood and you need it hot enough to get that blue smoke. Too low temp or too much wood it smolders more then it burns and that’s not what you want.

I know a lot of your already know this. But for those still figuring out flavors and stuff. Just remember hot blue smoke is what you want.
reded
1/8/2018 9:09pm
TXDirt wrote:

Never heard of using mustard, will give that a try next time. I hate mustard, but if the smoke knocks it down , I’ll give it...
I've never liked turkey but decided last Thanksgiving that I'd give it a whirl with my pellet smoker. I followed this guys recipe to the "T" and it changed the way I feel about turkey. I smoked two for Christmas and they were just as good as the first. It's a bit of work but worth it in the end.
Best Smoked Turkey
1/9/2018 8:14am
FLmxer wrote:
I follow this guys techniques. I strain the onions and add to bushs baked beans and turn the drippings into gravy for the mashed potatoes.
yum
Ha ha. I watched the pit boys cook videos, those dudes are nasty. Touching raw chicken, never washing hands. But that’s probably their signature Sick
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/9/2018 12:53pm
FLmxer wrote:
yum
Ha ha. I watched the pit boys cook videos, those dudes are nasty. Touching raw chicken, never washing hands. But that’s probably their signature :sick:
Ha ha. I watched the pit boys cook videos, those dudes are nasty. Touching raw chicken, never washing hands. But that’s probably their signature Sick
How about in this video where he puts the pan in the dirt to yell at the squirrel and then puts it on cutting board and then puts the meat on board. Doh! But i love some of their recipies, especially the pork shoulders.

Post a reply to: Anaheim 1 race day food

The Latest