Amazon go

logan_140
Anybody see the new amazon go grocery store service? Scan your phone as you walk in pick up what you need and walk out. As soon as you walk out it charges your prime account.. (no checkout lines) pretty damn genius amazon is gonna take over eventually IMO.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/6/2016 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 9:32pm
logan_140 wrote:
Anybody see the new amazon go grocery store service? Scan your phone as you walk in pick up what you need and walk out. As soon...
Anybody see the new amazon go grocery store service? Scan your phone as you walk in pick up what you need and walk out. As soon as you walk out it charges your prime account.. (no checkout lines) pretty damn genius amazon is gonna take over eventually IMO.
Even stranger to me is how much Amazon is getting involved with brick and morter. Think of all the one's that went away that Amazon had a big part in. Book store chains, Blockbuster type movie rental places, etc. Full circle as Amazon is getting into brick and mortar bookstores
motogrady
12/7/2016 6:54am

Well, they're gonna have to get past the cash only crowd, those without plastic.

The washed, those that already are ok with buying online, yea, I can see them getting that segment of the population.

But I don't see it taking off in poorer parts of the country.
motosmith
12/7/2016 10:45am
Brilliant.

Millennials wont use cash or credit cards, they will use cell phones. It's only a matter of time.
S.Loyer
12/7/2016 10:55am
Sam's club least up here in Alaska is already pretty much doing this, download the app, scan each item as it enters your cart then walk out with it, I guess the difference is the scan of each item rather than just grabbing them.

The Shop

12/7/2016 12:38pm
I was flipping channels and saw a news clip about ordering food (meats and dry goods) online and the delivery trucks show up once a month in a large parking log with everybody's order. According to the news clip, it was as cheap or cheaper than a standard grocery store.
I worked as a stocker at a grocery store while in high school. I learned the average profit margin is right around 1%. They make money on volume.

APLMAN99
12/7/2016 1:20pm
I was flipping channels and saw a news clip about ordering food (meats and dry goods) online and the delivery trucks show up once a month...
I was flipping channels and saw a news clip about ordering food (meats and dry goods) online and the delivery trucks show up once a month in a large parking log with everybody's order. According to the news clip, it was as cheap or cheaper than a standard grocery store.
I worked as a stocker at a grocery store while in high school. I learned the average profit margin is right around 1%. They make money on volume.

Not exactly volume, but inventory turns.....

If you can reuse the same dollar 5-10 times in the same year, getting a 1% margin in the grocery aisles is a little bit more bearable.
nickkraze
12/7/2016 5:52pm
Plus Amazon has announced they are going to enter the package delivery industry as FedEx and UPS are unable to keep up with current online orders. They will now handle a majority of the prime delivery in the areas near a distribution facility.
500guy
12/7/2016 6:45pm
All I know is Amazon has really screwed small business, they have overloaded the shipping industry so bad, everything I ship or get shipped in is 2-3 days late this time of year.

I'm also never going somewhere that can charge my account through my phone when I walk out.
agn5009
12/7/2016 7:10pm
motogrady wrote:
Well, they're gonna have to get past the cash only crowd, those without plastic. The washed, those that already are ok with buying online, yea, I...

Well, they're gonna have to get past the cash only crowd, those without plastic.

The washed, those that already are ok with buying online, yea, I can see them getting that segment of the population.

But I don't see it taking off in poorer parts of the country.
People still use cash?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/8/2016 3:14pm
500guy wrote:
All I know is Amazon has really screwed small business, they have overloaded the shipping industry so bad, everything I ship or get shipped in is...
All I know is Amazon has really screwed small business, they have overloaded the shipping industry so bad, everything I ship or get shipped in is 2-3 days late this time of year.

I'm also never going somewhere that can charge my account through my phone when I walk out.
I won't even set up my phone to do that. People are already creating "grabber" software that looks to secure your iWallet info as you walk by. They don't even have to pick your pockets anymore!!!

Post a reply to: Amazon go

The Latest