Alright, tips and suggestions for a torn rotator

JustMX
Tripped over something backing up to look at some stuff on the top shelf of me shop and lost my balance and did a slow motion fall.

Our old 6 wheel gator wss behind me and I realized my head was heading for the side of it so I stuck my arm out behind me and it popped twice and gave away.

Ended up wadded up against the gator and sat there for a few minutes. Thought I might have dislocated it and took my time getting up. Quickly realized it wasn't a dislocation because every one of those I have seen resulted in more pain when the arm was hanging.

Gf has some experience with torn rotator from falling off a horse, plus years as a nurse. Iced it, then heat, went to a walk in orthopedic clinic the next day.

Confirmed diagnosis.

Gave me anti inflamatories and scheduled a doctors visit in 5 weeks. Said they could do an mri then.

Steroids are an option but if they don't work I would have to wait 3 months for them to clear my system to do surgery.

I have been working on projects but getting frustrated not being able to raise my arm.

Thinking of calling the ortho and going ahead with an mri to see extent of damage to decide course of action.

I always appreciate the knowledge and experience of my fellow vitalmxers, and look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks in advance.
|
Nairb#70
9/25/2021 7:41am
I did the same thing while working on a roof. Fell over backwards and broke my fall by putting my arm out behind me, big mistake. 5 months ago and it still hurts. Strangely, the initial pain was focused in my bicep muscle. Shoulder seems screwed up now. The only advice I have is to strengthen as much around it as you can to help alleviate the pain and weakness.
APLMAN99
9/25/2021 9:17am
Tore my right rotator cuff nearly 30 years ago. Decided against surgery because of work reasons, mostly, and thinking that it would be ‘good enough’ since I was never going to be a pro athlete or anything.

Regret that decision completely.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
9/25/2021 2:28pm
Just had mine fixed in February . I had mine rip racing which caused me to crash and injure many other things that resulted in 12 days in icu for those injuries. Pt at first made my shoulder work better. Finally my insurance paid for an mri, it revealed my sub scapularis tendon ripped in half. I then had surgery. Glad I had it fixed. At six months after surgery my rules disappeared and I am now close to the strength before the shoulder injury. Lots of pt, a good doctor and ice are your friends.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/25/2021 2:38pm
I turned down surgery and went to a physical rehab center and went from almost getting 2 plates and srews in both corners of the socket that broke and a broke coracoid process to actually being stronger than before. My arm slid right out easy after crash. Therapy worked. Sitting in a chair backed against a door using a pulley hanging from top of the door with a rope with a handle on each end at home helped big time. You pull each arm up slow and controlled to get full rotation back and is key after strenthening the muscles again. Mine never came out again and I have crashed plenty after with no issues ... well with the arm anyway. Hope you are feeling better soon.

The Shop

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/25/2021 2:44pm
I did mine 20 years ago. Never had it fixed and it’s been manageable. Every so often it’ll start getting sore daily, and I can make the pain go away by doing push ups regularly. It’s the only thing that works. Rowing, pull ups, riding.. It all makes it irritated. Push ups daily will make it so I can do all those things pain free.
Forty
9/25/2021 8:26pm
Respect your rotator. It’s a under appreciated group of muscles.
JustMX
11/11/2021 11:08am
Well,

After 6 weeks of anti inflamatories I had an mri done.

Went over results with Dr monday.

Complete tear. Plus older damage. Not repairable.

Only option is reverse shoulder replacement.

This guy is the go to for soft tissue shouldrrvinjuries. Debating about taking my mri (on dvd) to another practice and getting a second opinion
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/11/2021 1:29pm
I second (third?) the second opinion.
SEEMEFIRST
11/11/2021 5:19pm
JustMX wrote:
Well, After 6 weeks of anti inflamatories I had an mri done. Went over results with Dr monday. Complete tear. Plus older damage. Not repairable. Only...
Well,

After 6 weeks of anti inflamatories I had an mri done.

Went over results with Dr monday.

Complete tear. Plus older damage. Not repairable.

Only option is reverse shoulder replacement.

This guy is the go to for soft tissue shouldrrvinjuries. Debating about taking my mri (on dvd) to another practice and getting a second opinion
I guess I don't understand.
What will putting a metal joint in do for your tendons?
I ripped my cuff apart and my guy fixed it with what looked like a ski rope in the orthoscope.

2 months of PT, back to normal.
SEEMEFIRST
11/11/2021 5:22pm
If you end up getting surgery, demand one of those glycol cooled pressure cuff deals. They are awesome!
They told me to try and stay in it a few hours a day.

Hell, you couldn't get me out of it.
JustMX
11/11/2021 8:59pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I guess I don't understand. What will putting a metal joint in do for your tendons? I ripped my cuff apart and my guy fixed it...
I guess I don't understand.
What will putting a metal joint in do for your tendons?
I ripped my cuff apart and my guy fixed it with what looked like a ski rope in the orthoscope.

2 months of PT, back to normal.
I asked him that because it seems kind of like a mechanical issue

His reply was that with the replacement they are able to reconfigure somehow.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/11/2021 10:48pm
Good luck. And X 2 on the 2nd opinion. Couldn't hurt and will ease your mind if you get the same opinion from the 2nd Dr.
nytsmaC
11/12/2021 4:17am
Another vote for a second opinion. Recovery from a shoulder replacement is really awful and you’ll have permanent reduced mobility/strength with that arm for the rest of your life. Maybe it’s the only way, but I would hope not.

Post a reply to: Alright, tips and suggestions for a torn rotator

The Latest