Alex Jones court case

early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2022 5:51am
He raises a good point. OJ actually killed 2 people and paid 33 million ,this guy talked about something he wasn't even apart of and pays...
He raises a good point. OJ actually killed 2 people and paid 33 million ,this guy talked about something he wasn't even apart of and pays a billion. I'm coming to the conclusion that anybody who agrees with this verdict is apart of what's wrong with this country today. I haven't heard any good reason why he should have to pay other then, fuck him ,he's a slimy piece of shit etc.
You ever hear the conspiracy theory that OJ didn't actually kill them? He hired the Armenian mafia to do it through his good buddy Robert Kardashian.
TXDirt
10/14/2022 5:54am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 6:26am
He raises a good point. OJ actually killed 2 people and paid 33 million ,this guy talked about something he wasn't even apart of and pays...
He raises a good point. OJ actually killed 2 people and paid 33 million ,this guy talked about something he wasn't even apart of and pays a billion. I'm coming to the conclusion that anybody who agrees with this verdict is apart of what's wrong with this country today. I haven't heard any good reason why he should have to pay other then, fuck him ,he's a slimy piece of shit etc.
You haven’t read the reason why? Or you don’t agree with the reason why?

You think it’s okay to slander someone, harm their reputation, tell lies about them?

That’s okay to you?

If your answer is yes, it’s okay to libel someone, please seek help.

The lies and slander Alex Jones was peddling had people calling the parents accusing them of being paid actors.

Imagine if you had buried your child, and people are calling you, harassing you, based on lies peddled from some guy down your street.

Alex Jones told lies about the parents and the dead children. Those parents incurred injury and anguish based on his lies.

What part of it don’t you understand?

Hitler never killed a single Jew, but was responsible for the deaths of millions.

Alex Jones did not call a parent and harass them, but he is responsible for thousands of harassed calls, letters, and accusations against these parents.

One person who sent a letter to Mark and Jackie Barden, whose 7-year-old son Daniel was killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, claimed to have urinated on the child’s grave. In another letter, someone threatened to dig up Daniel’s grave to prove he didn’t exist, his parents testified in Jones’ trial on Tuesday.

Do you understand or is it still unclear for you?
swordfish
10/14/2022 6:00am
You’re very passionate about this subject.
An other examples of slander in the last few years get you this worked up?
swordfish
10/14/2022 6:03am
TXDirt wrote:
You haven’t read the reason why? Or you don’t agree with the reason why? You think it’s okay to slander someone, harm their reputation, tell lies...

You think it’s okay to slander someone, harm their reputation, tell lies about them?

That’s okay to you?

The lies and slander Alex Jones was peddling had people calling the parents accusing them of being paid actors.

Imagine if you had buried your child, and people are calling you, harassing you, based on lies peddled from some guy down your street.

Alex Jones told lies about the parents and the dead children. Those parents incurred injury and anguish based on his lies.

Hitler never killed a single Jew, but was responsible for the deaths of millions.

Alex Jones did not call a parent and harass them, but he is responsible for thousands of harassed calls, letters, and accusations against these parents.

One person who sent a letter to Mark and Jackie Barden, whose 7-year-old son Daniel was killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, claimed to have urinated on the child’s grave. In another letter, someone threatened to dig up Daniel’s grave to prove he didn’t exist, his parents testified in Jones’ trial on Tuesday.

I get the impression he’s questions the seemingly arbitrary nature of the judgement amounts. It really does set a precedent for damages, pretty sure he might be faced with further punitive damages as well.

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/14/2022 6:08am
It is very simple, you are just choosing not to listen.

Defamation is unlawful, and always has been. He broke the law. A jury that was carefully selected by both the families' and Jones' attorneys listened to all of the testimony and reviewed all of the evidence and in the end they were asked to determine monetary damages. They hammered him.

The jury wasn't thinking about OJ, or pharmaceutical companies, or CNN, they were thinking about what they just saw and heard and were obviously deeply moved.

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/14/2022 6:14am
TXDirt wrote:
You haven’t read the reason why? Or you don’t agree with the reason why? You think it’s okay to slander someone, harm their reputation, tell lies...

That’s okay to you?

swordfish wrote:
I get the impression he’s questions the seemingly arbitrary nature of the judgement amounts. It really does set a precedent for damages, pretty sure he might...
I get the impression he’s questions the seemingly arbitrary nature of the judgement amounts. It really does set a precedent for damages, pretty sure he might be faced with further punitive damages as well.
It doesn't set any precedent, juries award damages on a case by case basis.
swordfish
10/14/2022 6:24am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 6:26am
TXDirt wrote:

That’s okay to you?

swordfish wrote:
I get the impression he’s questions the seemingly arbitrary nature of the judgement amounts. It really does set a precedent for damages, pretty sure he might...
GrapeApe wrote:
Which can be viewed as precedent setting in this particular situation. It’s open to interpretation as there is no standard measure as you just pointed out. Damages awarded do not always need to be quantified. They can be discretionary based on the individual judge. It’s pretty natural for people to question the reasoning behind damages awarded.
TXDirt
10/14/2022 6:33am
swordfish wrote:
You don’t get passionate when you hear about someone pissing on a dead child’s grave and writing a letter to the parents about it?

Man up.

That’s all I’ve gotta say.

Man up.

Now we must all fear evil. But there is a greater evil in this world. The indifference of good men.

Quote from Boondock Saints.

I’ll always be passionate when wrongs are committed against dead children and their grieving parents.

Sounds like we know where you stand. Somewhere in the back….

Man up. Stand up.
RCMXracing
10/14/2022 6:36am
A Vitard could bring a civil suit against another Vitard for defamation… award: 8 oz can of chain lube, grip glue, and stickers.
swordfish
10/14/2022 6:40am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 6:46am
swordfish wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
You don’t get passionate when you hear about someone pissing on a dead child’s grave and writing a letter to the parents about it? Man up...
You don’t get passionate when you hear about someone pissing on a dead child’s grave and writing a letter to the parents about it?

Man up.

That’s all I’ve gotta say.

Man up.

Now we must all fear evil. But there is a greater evil in this world. The indifference of good men.

Quote from Boondock Saints.

I’ll always be passionate when wrongs are committed against dead children and their grieving parents.

Sounds like we know where you stand. Somewhere in the back….

Man up. Stand up.
Yes it’s a very emotional subject. I asked a simple question in good faith which you turned into a wild character assumption. I think maybe you should man up and see through your emotional fog. I say that with the utmost kindness and sincerity. Don’t make the mistake of assuming how one speaks on a subject as indifference. Not everyone communicates in the same method.
My curiosity is not related to Jones guilt , more the penalty and it’s reasoning.
I did the same thing to Reese yesterday in his Biden Nuke thread and derailed it.
10/14/2022 6:41am
RCMXracing wrote:
A Vitard could bring a civil suit against another Vitard for defamation… award: 8 oz can of chain lube, grip glue, and stickers.
Yeah.....but what chain lube?

WD-40? Used engine oil? 90 Gear Oil mixed with acetone? No lube since they come greased from then factory?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/14/2022 6:42am
swordfish wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
swordfish wrote:
Which can be viewed as precedent setting in this particular situation. It’s open to interpretation as there is no standard measure as you just pointed out...
Which can be viewed as precedent setting in this particular situation. It’s open to interpretation as there is no standard measure as you just pointed out. Damages awarded do not always need to be quantified. They can be discretionary based on the individual judge. It’s pretty natural for people to question the reasoning behind damages awarded.
Respectfully, you do not have a good grasp on how the legal system works. The judge had nothing to do with the damages awarded, other than reading the jury's verdict out loud.
swordfish
10/14/2022 6:49am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 6:51am
GrapeApe wrote:
swordfish wrote:
Which can be viewed as precedent setting in this particular situation. It’s open to interpretation as there is no standard measure as you just pointed out...
GrapeApe wrote:
Respectfully, you do not have a good grasp on how the legal system works. The judge had nothing to do with the damages awarded, other than...
Respectfully, you do not have a good grasp on how the legal system works. The judge had nothing to do with the damages awarded, other than reading the jury's verdict out loud.
Noted and appreciate the correction on the fact is was a jury verdict. Same point applies though regardless of who makes the ruling or awards the damages. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in civil litigation, I do feel I have a general understanding but I am certainly no expert. There are quite a few news pieces stating the verdict could be precedent setting, or setting a new example or bar. That is entirely the point I am trying to make.
Shiftfaced
10/14/2022 6:57am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 7:51am
GrapeApe wrote:
Respectfully, you do not have a good grasp on how the legal system works. The judge had nothing to do with the damages awarded, other than...
The US uses the civil court system and monetary penalties to modify behaviors.

It is part of our “freedom”.

Take anything you want to market, but if it starts hurting people, you get hit in the pocketbook until you quit.

That is how the McDonalds coffee case was so high.

McDonalds kept their cheap coffee at super-high temps to mask its crappy taste. People were getting BURNED by the coffee, burns much worse than would reasonably be incurred from spilling coffee.

Why? McDonalds kept burning people, paying a medical bill here and there, and make them sign a Non-disclosure Agreement.

So a civil court had to finally impose a monetary penalty big enough for McDonald’s to modify their behavior.

Alex Jones is now on the receiving end of the same theory.

He can say whatever he wants, but as it hurts and harms others, penalties in a civil suit will modify his behaviors.

Eventually.

A billion might do it.

Maybe two?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/14/2022 7:15am
swordfish wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
swordfish wrote:
Noted and appreciate the correction on the fact is was a jury verdict. Same point applies though regardless of who makes the ruling or awards the...
Noted and appreciate the correction on the fact is was a jury verdict. Same point applies though regardless of who makes the ruling or awards the damages. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in civil litigation, I do feel I have a general understanding but I am certainly no expert. There are quite a few news pieces stating the verdict could be precedent setting, or setting a new example or bar. That is entirely the point I am trying to make.
I get what you're saying, but precedent really isn't the right word or concept. This will give future litigants an idea of what a jury is capable of given a similar set of facts and circumstances.

I will also say part of the evidence the jury considers in awarding damages is income. They did a pretty good job showing how much it moved the needle when Jones was discussing the Sandy Hook "hoax" on his show. If this was a kid in Mom's basement I don't think there would be $1 billion in damages, but there was evidence Jones made hundreds of millions defaming these families. $10,000 and community service probably wouldn't do anything to change his behavior, but a billion might?
swordfish
10/14/2022 7:22am
GrapeApe wrote:
swordfish wrote:
Noted and appreciate the correction on the fact is was a jury verdict. Same point applies though regardless of who makes the ruling or awards the...
GrapeApe wrote:
I get what you're saying, but precedent really isn't the right word or concept. This will give future litigants an idea of what a jury is...
I get what you're saying, but precedent really isn't the right word or concept. This will give future litigants an idea of what a jury is capable of given a similar set of facts and circumstances.

I will also say part of the evidence the jury considers in awarding damages is income. They did a pretty good job showing how much it moved the needle when Jones was discussing the Sandy Hook "hoax" on his show. If this was a kid in Mom's basement I don't think there would be $1 billion in damages, but there was evidence Jones made hundreds of millions defaming these families. $10,000 and community service probably wouldn't do anything to change his behavior, but a billion might?
I get it and appreciate the thoughtful reply. It makes sense.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2022 7:31am
It's nice to see that most of us can agree that Jones is a POS for peddling this crap for a decade.

The key point to this case is that Jones wasn't just saying this stuff, but profiting off it at the same time it was inflicting harm on the parents. That's a bit of the difference between this case and us calling each other names here on the board, and the OJ wrongful death case.

One of the key differences between the US and Europe is that Europe is set up with more Standards to guarantee safety where as the US relies more on civil litigation. This may not be co.pletely applicable to this case but it is important to keep in mind as others have pointed out with the McDonald's coffee case, etc.
Jeremy A.K.
10/14/2022 11:29am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 11:31am
TXDirt wrote:

That’s okay to you?

Would it be OK if he went to jail and never paid anyone a dime or is it all about money?
10/14/2022 11:29am
Well I can only say that you're a moron and your most likely suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome
Stay classy
Stay classy from you? Defending a monster?!? Get a mirror. Seriously
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2022 11:34am
Would it be OK if he went to jail and never paid anyone a dime or is it all about money?
The first amendment is what prevents him from going to jail for the defamation. We don't have debters prison and don't want it.
Jeremy A.K.
10/14/2022 11:34am
Well I can only say that you're a moron and your most likely suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome
Stay classy
I'm not defending anyone ,I've never listened to him in my life . I'm just fascinated how money is going to fix what he said . I've heard other events happen and it always boils down to a monetary settlement like that somehow makes it better or changes what happened. Now you stay classy and enjoy the weekend.
10/14/2022 11:39am
swordfish wrote:
You should follow the rules of the forum. They are posted at the top of Non Moto. Just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean you...
You should follow the rules of the forum. They are posted at the top of Non Moto. Just because you have an opinion doesn’t mean you can go around doing the same thing you are condemning Alex Jones of. You are sitting here slandering people because you don’t like what they have to say. Pretty ironic in what you posted previously about the country going down the toilet. You are part of that problem it seems.
Pretty sure you have a fair share of tits breeding in your own country I’d be more concerned with than the US.
Well at least you picked up the point I was putting down. Difference between me and Jones is I said MOST LIKELY. You can't argue with the moron part. That's just an observation on words written.
As for the USA going down the toilet, I read all about it on here in another thread directly written by Americans. So who am I to disagree?
TXDirt
10/14/2022 11:46am
Stay classy
I'm not defending anyone ,I've never listened to him in my life . I'm just fascinated how money is going to fix what he said...
I'm not defending anyone ,I've never listened to him in my life . I'm just fascinated how money is going to fix what he said . I've heard other events happen and it always boils down to a monetary settlement like that somehow makes it better or changes what happened. Now you stay classy and enjoy the weekend.
What part of “penalty” do you not understand?

The punishment isn’t to fix anything.

He fucked up and now has to pay the price. Why are you so caught up on “does it fix anything”.

Fixes what? And fixes it for who?

Do you have a time machine available to go back in time and unsend a letter about pissing on a dead child’s grave?

The whole premise of your question is ridiculous.

It doesn’t matter if this fixes anything. Maybe some parents are happy with the settlement. Maybe some are still upset. Who knows and who cares.

The point of a penalty or punishment isn’t to right a wrong.

It’s to hold someone accountable for their actions. Actions, have consequences.

Get it yet?
Shawn142
10/14/2022 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 12:23pm
Stay classy
I'm not defending anyone ,I've never listened to him in my life . I'm just fascinated how money is going to fix what he said...
The idea isn't to pay the families a billion dollars, no one thinks they're getting anything here except justice of Jones admitting he openly lied for the ratings and popularity. If it settlement was for 10 bucks a person Jones would still find a way out of paying a dime on the civil suit. It sends a message that your actions have consequences that will no longer be tolerated.

This man didn't just "speak his mind". He set an audience of millions against the very existence of an event that has shaped this country and the families surrounding it. These people WHO LOST CHILDREN had Jones' listeners openly engage them in public regularly, calling them crisis actors and saying their dead children were never real. And this is just one incident. Pretty much any public shooting he considered a "false flag". He has to be shocking to keep selling his water filters and taint wipes, which is the entire reason for his existence. He's not a news outlet, he's a salesman.
Jeremy A.K.
10/14/2022 12:43pm
TXDirt wrote:
What part of “penalty” do you not understand? The punishment isn’t to fix anything. He fucked up and now has to pay the price. Why are...
What part of “penalty” do you not understand?

The punishment isn’t to fix anything.

He fucked up and now has to pay the price. Why are you so caught up on “does it fix anything”.

Fixes what? And fixes it for who?

Do you have a time machine available to go back in time and unsend a letter about pissing on a dead child’s grave?

The whole premise of your question is ridiculous.

It doesn’t matter if this fixes anything. Maybe some parents are happy with the settlement. Maybe some are still upset. Who knows and who cares.

The point of a penalty or punishment isn’t to right a wrong.

It’s to hold someone accountable for their actions. Actions, have consequences.

Get it yet?
I honestly could give 2 shits either way,this is far from any hill im willing to die on . Ill just put in with the rest of the stuff that makes me shake my head before getting back to what ever it was i was doing .
borg
10/14/2022 12:45pm
TXDirt wrote:

That’s okay to you?

I think you mostly have an issue with civil law or maybe don't completely understand it's purpose and function. Defamation is an actionable complaint. Civil courts don't have the same punishment options that criminal courts have. It's almost always going to be money. So yes, it's all about the money when it comes to civil court.
AJ let this go to trial and put his fate in the hands of a jury. Which means that he is just as stupid as he is slimy.
tuggy450
10/14/2022 1:25pm
Not sure I really see any difference here from say the kid who sued CNN, Nicholas Sandman? or the other kid Kyle Rittenhouse who plans to sue.

One difference is that the Sandy Hook parents are relatively anonymous and Alex Jones has no where near the reach or influence of mainstream media.

I have never seen heard , one of his shows and have no idea where to even access it.

If anything I think it just sends a message that media types can and will be held accountable for repeated slander without basis as acting with malice.

I think that may be a good thing; however, it could also result in all sorts of frivolous lawsuits of similar type.

10/14/2022 1:44pm
Stay classy
Well sorry for accusing you of defending him. But it does come across that way. Maybe you should have said what you were thinking in your first post just as you did above and there wouldn't have been any misunderstanding and getting heaped in with the usual tits that continually sprout disinformation straight from their daily brain washing podcasts that have them believing they are the smart one's for believing these crazy theories like long time stoners and will double down when proven wrong just so they don't look as stupid as they do to the greater population, but dig a bigger hole.
Jeremy A.K.
10/14/2022 2:22pm
Well sorry for accusing you of defending him. But it does come across that way. Maybe you should have said what you were thinking in your...
Well sorry for accusing you of defending him. But it does come across that way. Maybe you should have said what you were thinking in your first post just as you did above and there wouldn't have been any misunderstanding and getting heaped in with the usual tits that continually sprout disinformation straight from their daily brain washing podcasts that have them believing they are the smart one's for believing these crazy theories like long time stoners and will double down when proven wrong just so they don't look as stupid as they do to the greater population, but dig a bigger hole.
One of my downfalls is not being able to accurately put in words what my brain is thinking.

Post a reply to: Alex Jones court case

The Latest