Advice on starting a business

dustmx
Fantasy
1861st
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2020 9:00pm
I’m looking to start up my own business.
I want to start up a outdoor kitchen business and custom metal fabrication. I have made a couple already just not advertised or pushed.
Not sure if I should get a website and start an instagram and advertise? I know now is not the ideal time by any means. Just looking to get information from others that have experience in small start ups and try limit the mistakes

The draws are a sample I made on color options
And the sink vanity I made for my house.
All from scratch

|
6/16/2020 5:17pm
Get thee with the pool contractors! Cold call them and tell them what you can do.
dustmx
Fantasy
1861st
6/16/2020 6:01pm
Get thee with the pool contractors! Cold call them and tell them what you can do.
Thanks did not think of that great..
Stephon
6/16/2020 8:47pm
I’m looking to start up my own business.
I want to start up a outdoor kitchen business and custom metal fabrication. I have made a couple already just not advertised or pushed.
Not sure if I should get a website and start an instagram and advertise? I know now is not the ideal time by any means. Just looking to get information from others that have experience in small start ups and try limit the mistakes

The draws are a sample I made on color options
And the sink vanity I made for my house.
All from scratch

======

Great work!
I think getting in contact with people in the pool industry is a great idea.
Do you know what your costs are?
Do you have a name for you business?
If so, I'd suggest securing the website domain, instagram, facebook, twitter handles, etc.

I'm curious, why do you think this is not an ideal time to start a business? What, in your opinion, is the ideal time?

My brothers and I have a couple of cheesesteak restaurants. Up until recently I have been responsible for most of the marketing, social media, instagram, facebook, etc. We had been looking to bring on someone that specializes in social media...and then the pandemic hit. The question was: do we wait until the pandemic is over to bring on a social media expert or do it now? I strongly suggested doing it now while we were one of the few restaurants that was largely unaffected in a climate with limited choices. Our restaurant has been open for business with the proper safety protocols without missing much of a beat. In fact, we've been busier than ever before, while closing an hour earlier in the evening.

Lastly, (and not to be a grammar cop), but is it "draws" or "drawers". You definitely want that to be correct in any of your marketing materials with great photography.
https://www.instagram.com/phillycoldcuts/

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
racin mason
6/16/2020 9:00pm
You may want to talk with some contractors that specialize in outdoor living spaces.You could talk to your local lumber yards,brick yard, and even the local concrete supplier.Who is going to need your service? The folks that are building patios, decks and pools. Start talking,do your research on business license,insurance,and taxes. Roll up your sleeves and go for it!!!

The Shop

ns503
6/17/2020 4:31am
Environments & regulations vary - but if you are serious, get a business name & number.

Puts you on the government radar which means you have to charge people tax, but also gets you doing it right. Which also means expensing expenses & taxes, and depreciating equipment & vehicles. Maybe even working family into a payroll, if that might be a thing for you.

That looks to me to be a solid idea with a solid skill set so I say go for it. Up here it is winter half the year and the other half is serious bug season - not ideal for what you're doing. But I see big potential - depending on the competition situation where you are.
500guy
6/17/2020 5:56am
I strongly recommend you read this book.

The E Myth revisited, why small businesses don't work. ( And what to do about it) by Michael Gerber
dustmx
Fantasy
1861st
6/19/2020 3:29pm
Thanks for the replies great insight and information, I have purchased the book And looking forward to the future.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/19/2020 3:48pm
Good luck!

Post a reply to: Advice on starting a business

The Latest