Advice for selecting Airline & Seats

rob27ma
Getting ready to fly for the first time from Connecticut to Salt Lake and looking for some recommendations for Airlines to go with, and seat selection. I'm 6'3", so I'm a little worried about the amount of legroom I will have. Was thinking of booking Comfort+ through Delta to get a little extra legroom, but wanted to see if others had any tips or feedback?
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
1/26/2018 5:32pm
Go to seatguru.com
Lots of good info on seat size, legroom (usually bulkhead seats and exit row seats get extra room but exit row seats don't always recline or recline far) where the good seats are and aren't (bathroom proximity, galley etc). AV options, powerport locations etc.

They have info on most all equipment major airlines fly
Rockinar
1/26/2018 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 9:16pm
Like mentioned the bulkhead seats (front row) and emergency exit rows will have the most leg room. Also getting an aisle seat helps at times too when nobody is walking by you can stretch your legs out in the aisle for a minute or stand up without bothering people. Cant do that if you're pinned down by a window or middle seat.

I personally shop for bulkhead seats and pay the premium.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/26/2018 9:23pm
Whatever you do, don't go for the Basic Economy (like I did to/from Houston). On the way home, I got the bathroom monitor seat (back row, aisle). In addition to the seat not reclining, it was closer to the row in front of me than the rest of the rows.
Shawn142
1/26/2018 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 10:39pm
Depending on what your plane is, I really like the back row of preferred seating on American. Often your seat is backed up to a bulkhead so you can stay leaned back without feeling bad, and they have an extra 6 to 8 inches of leg room compared to regular seats. I'm 6'2" and I've never felt uncomfortable or regretted paying a little extra for the preferred seating. I'm certainly no million mile traveler but I did my fair share of strips from California to Florida without complaint.

The Shop

plowboy
1/27/2018 6:45am
One of the downsides of being old is remembering when things were better. Flying commercial used to be decent. Free food and drinks, seats that reclined like a laz-e-boy, leg room for days, don't like your seat....pick an empty one and enjoy. All my air travel is for business, now a days, and lucky for me I work for an aircraft company. Bizjet travel is the shit fellas. Show up 5 minutes before take off. Throw your crap in the baggage compartment, strap year butt into that big comfy, fully reclining, swivel leather seat...and arrival is just as painless. It's a perk of the job that I'm really grateful for.
DoctorJD
1/27/2018 7:30am
I typically fly Delta, so I try to get the "Delta Comfort" seats at the very least. I'm not near as tall as you, and regular coach is brutal to sit in for more than an hour. If you can't swing that, then try to get a bulkhead seat.
Mini Elsinore
1/27/2018 8:51am
Suggest not sitting next to the bathroom-----you will have someone standing next to your seat from the time they serve beverages until you land.... And-----folks waiting to go the bathroom make funny noises---and emit funny smells. Angry Follow the advice above and get an exit or aisle seat. Front row is the best for you tall mofo's.
anniebertmojo
1/27/2018 10:41am
Pay the extra $40-$60 for premium seating up front. Go for the isle or window. If you go through the airlines you can pick your seats. I'm a Executive Platinum American flyer but sitting up front is worth it's weight in gold.
motosmith
1/28/2018 12:26am
Skiplagged app to find the correct flight and airline. Then go directly to the carrier and purchase the same ticket. Only way to go.
jasonward73
1/28/2018 3:37am
Definitely go with Delta.

You actually can get first class on Delta on most flights about $150-$250 over the cost of economy plus. For a transcontinental flight it’s worth it. If that is too much extra or the first class price is way more than that definitely go with an aisle seat in comfort plus.

I’m a 2 million miler with Delta. Advice come from experience.
blusmbl
1/28/2018 8:18am
Also a fan of Delta here. I fly them for work a couple times a year and have been overseas with them twice now. I am tall and fat, especially for flights over 2-ish hours I'll make sure to upgrade to either economy comfort or the exit rows. Exit rows will get you more legroom as well. With a regular seat, if nobody else does, you MAY be able to grab an exit row within 24 hours of the flight but it's hit or miss.
brlatm
1/28/2018 10:18am
You said you are going out of Connecticut but your listed as Northwest, MA? Also give Jetblue a shot out of Boston with a direct to SLC. They offer way more standard legroom than American, Delta or United and better service in Economy class overall.

Opt for the Even more seating and at 6'2" its perfect. I hold no allegiance to any airline even being DFW American Airlines hub, the US carriers truly suck compared to going overseas.

Look here for the best flights and don't be afraid to look at alternate airports to save money. I will drive 280 miles to the middle of West Texas to save $300 a ticket overall per ticket for a family of 4.

Filghts
BlueThumper
1/28/2018 1:46pm
Delta Comfort. Less than $100 most of the time and well worth it. Priority boarding and more leg room. I'm 6'3" and it is very comfortable for long flights.
rob27ma
1/29/2018 6:25am
Thanks for all the feedback! Just booked tickets with Delta and decided to pay a little extra for a first class upgrade to SLC, then will try their Comfort+ option on the way back. The seatguru recommendation was great, was able to find some helpful feedback on the actual flights and seat selections I ended up going with.
Foghorn
1/29/2018 6:35pm
I fly a lot as well. I'm 6'3" and don't agree with the bulkhead seats. More knee room, but you can't stretch your legs out. Just finished 4 legs from Calgary, Minneapolis to Nashville and back in first class, which is pretty comfortable but no comparison to international business or first class with other airlines. Any seat in Delta's first class domestically that isn't on the bulkhead is pretty comfy. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford pods with lay flat beds for trans-Atlantic flights. Pretty hard to go back after you've done that. Some pretty good deals if you shop around. Delta's lounges are definitely middle of the pack or less also in my experience.

Post a reply to: Advice for selecting Airline & Seats

The Latest