Advice? Wife hit a dump truck...

ianhendry46
Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 11:03am
Alright guys, as the title states, my wife hit a dump truck on her way to work on Wednesday morning.
The dump truck was parked on the side of a rural road, half of the truck was off the road and the other half was sticking out in her lane, annnd they were parked on the back side of a blind curve. The driver was just sitting in the truck with it running, there were no safety signs, flaggers or any form of warning that the truck was parked there. The truck belongs to the county highway department And they were called to clean brush off of the side of the road.
Thankfully, God blessed her with only minor scratches and major bruising and whiplash.
My question is, what do I do? Do I hire a lawyer to go after the county's insurance? The officer on scene placed the blame on the truck and my wife did NOT receive a ticket. Our insurance sucks and does not cover collision. She says she just simply could not see it. As soon as she came around the corner, it was sitting there and by time she saw it, she was hitting it.

|
ianhendry46
5/25/2017 8:00pm
Oh and that wheel was 70 yards from the car in the opposite direction the she was traveling. Witnesses say she flipped and did and 360 and landed back on the wheels, or what was left of them. She crawled out of the car under her own power
scooter5002
5/25/2017 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 8:29pm
Glad she is okay, that could have been a LOT worse Clear negligence on the part of the truck driver, the crew, whoever was in CHARGE of the crew, and ultimately, the county. Sue their fucking ASSES off. Just because they are a work crew, does not relieve them of the responsibility to warn motorists of potential hazards, as mandated by federal law.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/25/2017 8:44pm
I'm not a lawyer but If it was me I would hire a lawyer for 3 reasons. 1- As you mentioned it's not her fault. 2- Your insurance doesn't cover collisions. 3- The officer himself is putting the blame on the truck driver. If your wife says she didn't see the truck the county's insurance will more than likely hire someone to recreate the scenario in order to try and get out of paying for the damages, lost wages, compensation, lawyers fees, etc.

The truck was parked on the side of the road with the driver not only sitting in it but engine running. There's no reason for him not to have put his safety lights/4 ways on to let drivers coming around the corner that he is in fact not moving. Even if the truck had been parked there with no one inside with a mechanical breakdown he should of put a reflective cone/triangle a couple hundred feet back to let drivers know there's a hazard just ahead.

With everything I just mentioned I say you stand a very good chance of winning that case.

At the minimum at least get a free consultation.

The most important thing is that your wife is OK. Material things are always replaceable, human lives are not.

Word of advice if anything like that ever happens again to you, your wife, anyone for that matter please remain in your vehicle until paramedics, firemen, police, etc. arrive at the scene to assist you. This of course is if there is no immediate threat of danger like fire, burning smell, leaking gas, etc. The reason for that is although your wife at the time could of felt fine that could of been the effect of the adrenaline rushing. It only takes a small movement in any directions and things could of turned a lot worse. Head injuries, paralysis, etc. A fraction of a millimeters and you could be suffering for the rest of your life.

I know that everyone's first thought is to get out and get moving but in the case of an accident it's better to wait until professionals are on the scene to assess the situation.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/25/2017 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 8:58pm
Thats an interesting call to make. One thing to keep in mind, blame is not necessarily established if a ticket was given, or not. Were there skid marks? What was the speed limit? Did she rear end it (looks like it)?Just stuff to consider.

Im not assigning blame, just saying some of the above may be factors to consider that the other side could pursue. Heck, they could even look at her phone records. People can get desperate when being sued. Especially with salaried attorney's on the payroll.

The Shop

ns503
5/26/2017 4:12am
I don't know man - every rear ender I have ever heard of had blame ultimately placed with the one doing the rear ending. I'm thinking you would have a fight on your hands even with what the officer said. Did the truck driver get a ticket?

Good luck anyway, and glad it wasn't worse.
newmann
5/26/2017 4:16am
County will be self insured. Sue them so everyone's taxes will go up. Then there won't be a truck or a crew to go clean up a pile of brush on the side of the road. Meanwhile, you are driving around uninsured.
MR. X
5/26/2017 4:23am
Did the back axle on that truck get fucked up too ? How fast was she driving around a blind corner?
Firefly47
5/26/2017 4:40am
I'm glad she wasn't hurt any worse than she was. But....She was going too fast.
Your insurance doesn't cover collision? You kidding me?

YOU are a reason why trucking companies suffer from YOUR negligence. You don't carry proper insurance and when YOU (in this case your wife) have a crash you want someone to foot the bill.
Truly amazing this is.
But yeah, sue someone.
ns503
5/26/2017 5:08am
MR. X wrote:
Did the back axle on that truck get fucked up too ? How fast was she driving around a blind corner?
I didn't notice that the first look. Axle (maybe two of them?) is definitely messed up.

Also thinking excess speed was definitely a factor - the large damage to the Jeep along with the wheel being 70 yards in the other direction (missed that the first look too) also seems to point that way. If you plan to lawyer up - your words here likely won't help.

People usually don't get collision coverage - at their own risk. And do so knowing they are accepting that risk that they might not have it when the might need it. If the coverage sucks as stated - well, it's what you bought.

There could also be more at play here, like the truck sitting in a dark shady spot with no warning lights etc.. But from what I have seen, going to court is a big roll of the dice and there is no way anyone can accurately predict what the outcome will be - especially a lawyer who you are paying to argue your point (some are worse than others, some better). I'm thinking the responsibility would get spread around - but who knows.

MR. X
5/26/2017 5:30am
I was just discussing it ,i know in NY its always the persons fault who doesn't work for NYS. We had a local cop fall asleep behind the wheel and hit someone head on . They gave her a ticket and the cop received a new patrol car .
rongi#401
5/26/2017 5:34am
get a lawyer. rack up as many medical bills and days off work as possible and ride the gravy train. i wish i would have after my wreck and all i have to show for it is this dent in my head...Woohoo
ianhendry46
5/26/2017 6:05am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I'm not a lawyer but If it was me I would hire a lawyer for 3 reasons. 1- As you mentioned it's not her fault. 2-...
I'm not a lawyer but If it was me I would hire a lawyer for 3 reasons. 1- As you mentioned it's not her fault. 2- Your insurance doesn't cover collisions. 3- The officer himself is putting the blame on the truck driver. If your wife says she didn't see the truck the county's insurance will more than likely hire someone to recreate the scenario in order to try and get out of paying for the damages, lost wages, compensation, lawyers fees, etc.

The truck was parked on the side of the road with the driver not only sitting in it but engine running. There's no reason for him not to have put his safety lights/4 ways on to let drivers coming around the corner that he is in fact not moving. Even if the truck had been parked there with no one inside with a mechanical breakdown he should of put a reflective cone/triangle a couple hundred feet back to let drivers know there's a hazard just ahead.

With everything I just mentioned I say you stand a very good chance of winning that case.

At the minimum at least get a free consultation.

The most important thing is that your wife is OK. Material things are always replaceable, human lives are not.

Word of advice if anything like that ever happens again to you, your wife, anyone for that matter please remain in your vehicle until paramedics, firemen, police, etc. arrive at the scene to assist you. This of course is if there is no immediate threat of danger like fire, burning smell, leaking gas, etc. The reason for that is although your wife at the time could of felt fine that could of been the effect of the adrenaline rushing. It only takes a small movement in any directions and things could of turned a lot worse. Head injuries, paralysis, etc. A fraction of a millimeters and you could be suffering for the rest of your life.

I know that everyone's first thought is to get out and get moving but in the case of an accident it's better to wait until professionals are on the scene to assess the situation.
Thanks for the advice! She said the only reason she got out of the car was because she could smell it burning and was afraid of it catching fire!
ianhendry46
5/26/2017 6:07am
kzizok wrote:
Thats an interesting call to make. One thing to keep in mind, blame is not necessarily established if a ticket was given, or not. Were there...
Thats an interesting call to make. One thing to keep in mind, blame is not necessarily established if a ticket was given, or not. Were there skid marks? What was the speed limit? Did she rear end it (looks like it)?Just stuff to consider.

Im not assigning blame, just saying some of the above may be factors to consider that the other side could pursue. Heck, they could even look at her phone records. People can get desperate when being sued. Especially with salaried attorney's on the payroll.
The speed limit is 40 MPH. She was only doing 30-35. It was raining, but no here were no skid marks. And yes, she hit the back of it.
newmann
5/26/2017 6:11am
Well, the photos do show the truck a good distance from the curve. The photos also show the truck with its lights on. We don't know how long the truck had been there or if he had just pulled over. Might be a good thing that the truck driver had not just stepped out to place any cones or signs or it easily could have been a fatality. I'm just going off the info given and the photos the op posted up. Also, an officer assigning blame....that's not how that works. Looks like it was raining as well, might should have been paying better attention and driving slower. What's the speed limit there?

As for poor quality insurance, cheaper isn't always better. If you are willing to drive a vehicle with no comp or collision coverage, that tells me you are willing to lose that vehicle if and when an incident were to occur. Basically boils down to a gamble as to whether or not the property is worth the cost of the premium. OP lost this time. Fortunately, his wife is okay. The vehicle can be easily replaced, she however cannot.
ianhendry46
5/26/2017 6:11am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 6:23am
Firefly47 wrote:
I'm glad she wasn't hurt any worse than she was. But....She was going too fast. Your insurance doesn't cover collision? You kidding me? YOU are a...
I'm glad she wasn't hurt any worse than she was. But....She was going too fast.
Your insurance doesn't cover collision? You kidding me?

YOU are a reason why trucking companies suffer from YOUR negligence. You don't carry proper insurance and when YOU (in this case your wife) have a crash you want someone to foot the bill.
Truly amazing this is.
But yeah, sue someone.
Just because you couldn't stop yourself from being a dickhead this morning(oh what a joy in sure you are to be around). She was doing 35 in a 40 mph zone. Not above the limit. And as far as insurance goes, my agent really had me believing I had full coverage. I was paying 250 a month just for her car alone. It was my mistake that I didn't catch that the plan didn't have collision coverage. We literally have coverage for everything else. Even the claims guys said what the hell when he was reviewing our policy. But thanks for the concern, dick

P.S. I'm young, 23. I have traveled for a living(mechanic for pro moto guys) for years. I have been traveling since I was 16. I never really had anyone to teach me what to look for when buying insurance. Lesson learned.

And I'm in no way shape or form trying to get rich quick, hell I work in the moto industry and have survived for years off of 300 a week. I now work in a dealership full time, because I'm totally money hungry
newmann
5/26/2017 6:14am
I see OP posted speed limit info as I was posting.
ianhendry46
5/26/2017 6:18am
MR. X wrote:
ns503 wrote:
I didn't notice that the first look. Axle (maybe two of them?) is definitely messed up. Also thinking excess speed was definitely a factor - the...
I didn't notice that the first look. Axle (maybe two of them?) is definitely messed up.

Also thinking excess speed was definitely a factor - the large damage to the Jeep along with the wheel being 70 yards in the other direction (missed that the first look too) also seems to point that way. If you plan to lawyer up - your words here likely won't help.

People usually don't get collision coverage - at their own risk. And do so knowing they are accepting that risk that they might not have it when the might need it. If the coverage sucks as stated - well, it's what you bought.

There could also be more at play here, like the truck sitting in a dark shady spot with no warning lights etc.. But from what I have seen, going to court is a big roll of the dice and there is no way anyone can accurately predict what the outcome will be - especially a lawyer who you are paying to argue your point (some are worse than others, some better). I'm thinking the responsibility would get spread around - but who knows.

Yes the rear axle on the truck was damaged. Like I said, she was only doing 35. There are 3 eye witnesses. One lady watched the whole thing, she was pulling out of her driveway. Also the man that called the crew in the first place was a witness.

She drives this road everyday, probably at least twice a day. It's not like she didn't know the danger areas. She just simply did not see the truck.
ianhendry46
5/26/2017 6:35am
newmann wrote:
I see OP posted speed limit info as I was posting.
She said no lights were on until after she crawled out of her car.
And the driver of the truck called his crew and asked then to come BACK to where he was, implying they had already been there.
ns503
5/26/2017 6:40am
For what it's worth - $250/month for insurance with no collision seems like waaayy too much. Unless there is way bad history or something.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/26/2017 7:18am
Whoa, way too much vitriol in this thread.

First off, I'm glad your wife is ok. However, I don't like your chances in court. I don't know what state you are in, but in CA, it's always the fault of the person behind. If she hit a parked car, she was going too fast for the conditions.
borg
5/26/2017 7:19am

I don't recommend "hiring" a lawyer. Suing governments is a long, complicated, expensive endeavor.
If you can get a lawyer to take this on contingency though you have nothing to lose. Don't be surprised if you have some difficulty getting one to take it. Don't go to one that advertises on bus stop benches. Go to the local BAR and get a referral for a lawyer that specializes in suing government entities.

IMHO:
It's really, really hard for me to imagine not being able to see that truck unless it was dark and the truck had no lights. Sorry.
It's not easy to tell from the photo but does that road curve to the left beyond the truck or is that a merging road coming the other way? Where the truck is it doesn't look like the road is curving right but it's hard to tell.
JPT
5/26/2017 7:41am
What does your insurance cover?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/26/2017 7:47am
I do have a question. Is it safe to assume the vehicle is financed? If so, Ive never heard of a finance company not requiring comp and collision. That is basic knowledge of an insurance rep. Perhaps it fell through their cracks or the agent knew he was under insuring?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/26/2017 8:00am
Like Harry Backmon & I mentioned at the very minimum get a consultation with a lawyer. They're in a better position to advise and guide you in the right direction.

I don't know much about insurance but one that doesn't cover collision is really odd to me. Where I live it's the law to have insurance on a vehicle or you can't be on the road. The vehicle needs to be insured at the minimum on one side. I know it's different in Canada and the States but if your insurance doesn't cover collision what does it cover? Theft?

Hopefully some good will come out of it and you won't go into big debt replacing the vehicle.

You live and learn.

Best of luck.
borg
5/26/2017 8:12am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Like Harry Backmon & I mentioned at the very minimum get a consultation with a lawyer. They're in a better position to advise and guide you...
Like Harry Backmon & I mentioned at the very minimum get a consultation with a lawyer. They're in a better position to advise and guide you in the right direction.

I don't know much about insurance but one that doesn't cover collision is really odd to me. Where I live it's the law to have insurance on a vehicle or you can't be on the road. The vehicle needs to be insured at the minimum on one side. I know it's different in Canada and the States but if your insurance doesn't cover collision what does it cover? Theft?

Hopefully some good will come out of it and you won't go into big debt replacing the vehicle.

You live and learn.

Best of luck.
In CA, you have to have insurance but not on your own car. It's for whoever you hit. If you are financing, you have collision coverage by default. If you own the car outright you can choose not to have collision coverage on your own car. In many cases it's not economical to cover an older car that's not worth much.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/26/2017 8:56am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Like Harry Backmon & I mentioned at the very minimum get a consultation with a lawyer. They're in a better position to advise and guide you...

You live and learn.

Best of luck.
borg wrote:
In CA, you have to have insurance but not on your own car. It's for whoever you hit. If you are financing, you have collision coverage...
In CA, you have to have insurance but not on your own car. It's for whoever you hit. If you are financing, you have collision coverage by default. If you own the car outright you can choose not to have collision coverage on your own car. In many cases it's not economical to cover an older car that's not worth much.
I guess that make sense. I do have a question concerning if you don't have insurance. What happens if someone gets into a bad accident and kills the driver in the other car but he/she lives through it? Who pays for that? Does he/she go bankrupt because they didn't have any insurance on their vehicle?

That's one of the reason why a vehicle needs to be insured in order to legally be on the road where I'm from. If something like that were to happen they would be covered. If I remember correctly they would be covered up to 2 million dollars which is the maximum one can get.
ns503
5/26/2017 9:10am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 9:12am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

You live and learn.

Best of luck.
borg wrote:
In CA, you have to have insurance but not on your own car. It's for whoever you hit. If you are financing, you have collision coverage...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I guess that make sense. I do have a question concerning if you don't have insurance. What happens if someone gets into a bad accident and...
I guess that make sense. I do have a question concerning if you don't have insurance. What happens if someone gets into a bad accident and kills the driver in the other car but he/she lives through it? Who pays for that? Does he/she go bankrupt because they didn't have any insurance on their vehicle?

That's one of the reason why a vehicle needs to be insured in order to legally be on the road where I'm from. If something like that were to happen they would be covered. If I remember correctly they would be covered up to 2 million dollars which is the maximum one can get.
PL & PD. Personal liability & property damage.That is the minimum required insurance. It covers you for damages to someone else. Collision & comprehensive covers you for damages to your own stuff.

Insurance basics.

And yes, if completely uninsured, you're in a world of hurt.
Ebs
5/26/2017 9:27am
Driver's Ed 101: Don't drive faster than you can see.

But I understand, familiar road you drive all the time, going with the flow of traffic, etc. We all do it.
Tracktor
5/26/2017 9:33am
ns503 wrote:
I don't know man - every rear ender I have ever heard of had blame ultimately placed with the one doing the rear ending. I'm thinking...
I don't know man - every rear ender I have ever heard of had blame ultimately placed with the one doing the rear ending. I'm thinking you would have a fight on your hands even with what the officer said. Did the truck driver get a ticket?

Good luck anyway, and glad it wasn't worse.
Nope, you pull out in front of someone and they rear end you it's 100% your fault (at least in WA state) both from experience and straight from the state police. I rear ended a dude who pulled out in front of me about 10 years on a back road right by my house. All on him according to insurance and police.

To the OP, I doubt it is legal to park anything over the white shoulder line without flaggers or flares. Sight lines or not it's pretty clear the truck is at fault. Not sure why that would even be a question?.............
mxb2
5/26/2017 9:47am
X2, goin on social media for legal, health, marriage advice is a bad idea. Advice from non qualified people will make it things more complicated. Ask friends,family,qualified people. They will be around when they are needed, not total strangers on the internet.

Post a reply to: Advice? Wife hit a dump truck...

The Latest