Acid Reflux/ GERD

neverwas
Fantasy
868th
3/3/2018 2:25pm
TXDirt wrote:
I have suffered from it for over 15 years. Really sucks. I've sorta learned to just deal with it. Have tried all the medicines with varying...
I have suffered from it for over 15 years. Really sucks. I've sorta learned to just deal with it. Have tried all the medicines with varying degrees of success. Been scoped top to bottom. The acid part has mostly subsided on it's own. Mostly what I deal with now is my first few bites of food getting stuck in my esophagus. This can be pretty painful at times. A few sips of cold water can help get it down usually. The feeling is almost like a clogged toilet and the cold water can help it release the food and it will go down fine. If I can get it to go down on the first few bites with water I'm good. If that doesn't work then within about 30 seconds I will vomit because the water/food has to go somewhere very quickly. After that happens then I am fine actually and can eat my whole meal without a problem.

Sorry for graphic details. Wonder if that happens to anyone else. My sister in law and my nephew suffer from the same symptoms.

If I feel like I have a bit of acid-reflux from too much food, ice cream, beer, etc before I go to bed I will take two tums and it really helps with the acid.

One thing I can very rarely drink is dark or hoppy beers or beers with too much carbonation like a coors light. It somehow interacts with my stomach acids in a bad way and bubbles up and is extremely extremely painful. My whole chest will hurt for a good 20-30 minutes. Sometimes it's not a problem. Sucks cause I love beers, but I pretty much stick to just Corona as this gives me the least amount of problems.
I suffer from the same thing and it can be kind of scary when my throat is plugged up and it win't go down,sipping water sometimes works.
If I take Ranitadine as prescribed by my Dr it mostly eliminates the acid which in turn takes care of the throat thing.
Also if I don't over eat or too much beer I am pretty good,but as most of us I like a beer and some Mexican and other spicy foods.
Team Ideal
3/5/2018 7:59am
I'll try and make this short. I've had so many EDG's that I don't even know how many I've had. I forget the name of what...
I'll try and make this short. I've had so many EDG's that I don't even know how many I've had. I forget the name of what I have because it is so long Esopho.......something itis. At its worst I could not eat anything but soft foods and even that would gather up. It was ruining my life. I once chocked on a pill and was lucky enough to have been able to make it to the hospital and have emergency surgery to push it down but not before passing out in PreOp. Scariest, most helpless feeling ever.
Having said all that, and going through 3 or 4 doctors for a few years, the Dr, I was using retired. His PA was a nice Indian women and she took over the practice as a Dr. She said, I went through enough and said she had a combo that would work for me. She gave me a stretch the next day and prescribed me Nexium and Flonaise back when both was only available via prescription and $300-$400 each. My insurance at the time wouldn't pay anything on the Flonaise because it was not being used for its intended purpose. Well lucky for me that both are now over the counter and in the $20 range. I hardly take Nexium, maybe 2 pills a month. But I say this for anyone having choking problems. Try Flonaise, over the counter. A couple squirts in the nose and let it run down the back of your throat.
I was having an EDG every 3 to 4 months for 3 or 4 years. After I started using Flonaise, I haven't had an EDG in almost 4 years now. I still eat slow but I very rarely have problems swallowing. I sometimes go a week or better without Flonaise as well. I have went to the point where I was starting to get tight again and once I started taking Flonaise daily again it went back to where it should be in a few days. Flonaise changed my life... for real! It costs $24 at CVS for a months supply. Try it! It is a hell of a lot easier than having and EDG.

As far as other posts about over the counter Nexium, Prilosec, Zantac ect. not being ment for long term use as compared to the prescription version, the over the counter version has more sodium in it compared to the prescription version. It is not a problem to take it long term if sodium is not a problem for you.
thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I don't have much problems with acid reflex anymore after loosing a few pounds and making sure I eat a couple tums after any spicy or stuff or anything with a lot of tomato paste. also making sure I eat at least two hours before bed helps too.

I have been having a lot more of the food sticking problem as I've gotten older. meat is normally the culprit but not always. I've always felt like it was a spice or seasoning that sets mine off but who knows. I'm definitely going to give the Flonaise a go.
3/5/2018 11:00am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 11:02am
Go get a full workup from a gastroenterologist. alot of variables in GERD.

Food Sticking....get a workup.

Early intervention is best against wierd symptoms.
Tim507
3/5/2018 1:39pm
The acid reflex pills (From experience and reading) are bad for you! I took those for awhile and quit! Diet is the only long term solution.

After years of Gerd (that is my problem) ones valve in the esophagus "The cause of the disorder is a small one-way valve, called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), located between the esophagus and the stomach".... is damaged.

I have this issue and its a pain in the throat! Do not eat late, do not drink or at least moderate alcohol. The comments above about the 3 food groups and mixing them is good advise. If you have a bout going on, sleep on our left side, not your right side.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&ei=qbedWtazPIqD0…

I still have GERD issues when I cheat on my diet!

I'm a believer that GERD can lead to throat cancer.....give that some thought and consideration.

The Shop

Tim507
3/5/2018 1:41pm
Go get a full workup from a gastroenterologist. alot of variables in GERD.

Food Sticking....get a workup.

Early intervention is best against wierd symptoms.
Food getting caught in the throat is an issue!! Tell me about it!

Add to that a Gluten Intolerance and you a recipe for misery and other issues......

Diet is the number 1 remedy.

Post a reply to: Acid Reflux/ GERD

The Latest