ATV or Dirtbike for my busted legs?

Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 4:38pm
Hey guys, i have had two knee surgeries and other compartment releases on my legs in the oast years and needless to say, they arent what they used to be. I have been a birtbike rider for most of my life in both a racing and trail riding capacity. I do plan to race a hare scramble or two in the future but mostly i will just be trail riding. Do you think an atv would be best for this future or is the dirtbike a safer bet moving forward? (Non of the leg injuries are due to crashes ironically)...damn military.
|
KTMsc
3/10/2020 10:22pm
I had to give it up as well, however an atv is more dangerous imho than a bike.
I went to a sxs which is fun, but does not compare to mx.
AxlBundy
3/11/2020 4:41am
I’ve always had the belief that if I’m on two legs, I belong on two wheels. Just no thrill in riding a quad. The old man has a nice can am and it doesn’t matter. One hand driving, might as well have a beer in the other. Nothing like cracking the throttle on a bike. A new estart bike sure would help the ol knees out though
zippytech
3/11/2020 5:08am
I just got a smaller bike to trail ride, it's light and works good for what I am doing and I don't really need legs to ride it.

Bearuno
3/11/2020 5:27am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 5:29am
My knee operations, over 45 years( my first was at 16) , come into the high 20s , or more, now- it would take me a few days to chase up all the operation details.

I still ride - normally a few times a week, but, ironically, for the last year and a half, I'm lucky to get out once a month, due to, now, Hand problems ...... classic.

It's getting pretty scary to ride, not being able to stand up, weight pegs properly, having difficulties even getting on the bike- hell, I'm even having a hard time putting on / taking off Boots. My Legs barely bend now. But I keep riding, when I can. However, more and more, , I question if it's worth the risk - it still is. Just.

Now, I don't indulge in the Quad hate I so often see here, and on other sites. But, bugger me, if I was going to have something that Big, and Heavy, that, no matter what, handles Weirdly, I'd want a roll cage around me. One of those things following you into the ground, is not my idea of a good time.

Something like the Polaris ACE 900, single seater interests me. And, might be something for you to consider.

I've driven the 500- the 900 must be a Hoot! I have no desire / need to have someone with me , on the ride, so to speak. So 2x2s and bigger, are never going to be on the agenda. Riding Solo ( in / on the vehicle) is what it's about, to me. And, something still (relatively) Small would be the go.

But here in OZ, unless you Race, or, have property, UTVs are pretty bloody limited. For trail use, you have to have Rego and Insurance, to get real use from an off-road vehicle. If I could get something like the ACE, registered for use, I'd probably buy one, but, as it is, UTVs are of way too limited use, for me, here.

You Yanks, seem to be able to use UTVs fairly widely. Though, you've got that 50" track width rule, for many trail systems?

The Shop

3/11/2020 6:39am
Bearuno wrote:
My knee operations, over 45 years( my first was at 16) , come into the high 20s , or more, now- it would take me a...
My knee operations, over 45 years( my first was at 16) , come into the high 20s , or more, now- it would take me a few days to chase up all the operation details.

I still ride - normally a few times a week, but, ironically, for the last year and a half, I'm lucky to get out once a month, due to, now, Hand problems ...... classic.

It's getting pretty scary to ride, not being able to stand up, weight pegs properly, having difficulties even getting on the bike- hell, I'm even having a hard time putting on / taking off Boots. My Legs barely bend now. But I keep riding, when I can. However, more and more, , I question if it's worth the risk - it still is. Just.

Now, I don't indulge in the Quad hate I so often see here, and on other sites. But, bugger me, if I was going to have something that Big, and Heavy, that, no matter what, handles Weirdly, I'd want a roll cage around me. One of those things following you into the ground, is not my idea of a good time.

Something like the Polaris ACE 900, single seater interests me. And, might be something for you to consider.

I've driven the 500- the 900 must be a Hoot! I have no desire / need to have someone with me , on the ride, so to speak. So 2x2s and bigger, are never going to be on the agenda. Riding Solo ( in / on the vehicle) is what it's about, to me. And, something still (relatively) Small would be the go.

But here in OZ, unless you Race, or, have property, UTVs are pretty bloody limited. For trail use, you have to have Rego and Insurance, to get real use from an off-road vehicle. If I could get something like the ACE, registered for use, I'd probably buy one, but, as it is, UTVs are of way too limited use, for me, here.

You Yanks, seem to be able to use UTVs fairly widely. Though, you've got that 50" track width rule, for many trail systems?
From what i have seen on our trail systems here in the south east is that there are trails that are made for SXS and ATVs which are basically glorified roads lol. For me on my bike i usually stick to single track to avoid getting ran over by some guy going 60mph on his SXS.
3/11/2020 6:40am
zippytech wrote:
I just got a smaller bike to trail ride, it's light and works good for what I am doing and I don't really need legs to...
I just got a smaller bike to trail ride, it's light and works good for what I am doing and I don't really need legs to ride it.

Thats a good idea! I might consider buying a smaller bore 2 stroke like a 150xc
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
3/11/2020 6:51am
Depends what you're looking for. There's a big difference between a YFZ450 and an Outlander. Something like a YFZ is fast, can jump and takes technique to go fast on. The Oultander is a big couch but it'll go anywhere, good for trail riding with friends.

Nice thing riding a quad is you put the big nerf bars on and your feet don't make contact with the ground, which should help your knees. The problem is if that thing winds up on top of you it sucks.
3/11/2020 6:54am
bh84 wrote:
Depends what you're looking for. There's a big difference between a YFZ450 and an Outlander. Something like a YFZ is fast, can jump and takes technique...
Depends what you're looking for. There's a big difference between a YFZ450 and an Outlander. Something like a YFZ is fast, can jump and takes technique to go fast on. The Oultander is a big couch but it'll go anywhere, good for trail riding with friends.

Nice thing riding a quad is you put the big nerf bars on and your feet don't make contact with the ground, which should help your knees. The problem is if that thing winds up on top of you it sucks.
Ya that is one of my biggest fears, having to wrestle a bear to get that rig off of me. I have seen more than my fair share or ATVs chase thier rider after dismount lol.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/11/2020 7:37am
ATVs have a much lower seat and the pegs are comparably higher. Your knees will be bent a lot more than on a bike... Possibly worse for your injuries.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
3/11/2020 9:28am
Ya that is one of my biggest fears, having to wrestle a bear to get that rig off of me. I have seen more than my...
Ya that is one of my biggest fears, having to wrestle a bear to get that rig off of me. I have seen more than my fair share or ATVs chase thier rider after dismount lol.
Part of learning how to race an ATV is learning how to A. Get the hell outta dodge and B. Get the mother effer off you. I've done plenty of both. The sport quads like my YFZ are much easier than the big 4x4 units!
Zaugg
3/11/2020 10:16am
I might suggest looking at a SxS as a third option. Something to consider.
mike117
3/11/2020 4:38pm
This is exactly why I wish Honda (or someone) still made these... don't even need your legs (throttle and brake on the steering yoke). Johnny Lock mentioned the Polaris Ace, I think that's about as close as your going to get to an Odyssey or Pilot.

Post a reply to: ATV or Dirtbike for my busted legs?

The Latest