AI experts call for boycott over 'killer robots

lestat
4/4/2018 10:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2018 2:30pm

Artificial intelligence researchers from nearly 30 countries are boycotting a South Korean university over concerns a new lab in partnership with a leading defence company could lead to “killer robots”.

More than 50 leading academics signed the letter calling for a boycott of Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) and its partner, defence manufacturer Hanwha Systems. The researchers said they would not collaborate with the university or host visitors from KAIST over fears it sought to “accelerate the arms race to develop” autonomous weapons.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/05/killer-robots-south-…
|
rongi#401
4/5/2018 12:22am
10 years ago me and my stoner buddy's were talking about the exact same things that are unfolding right now...
TXDirt
4/5/2018 6:47am
I was just thinking this morning how currently hackers can create viruses that can infect a computer, or encrypt your data and hold it ransom.

How long until hardware and AI mix more together and hackers will be able to create real death machines. Or perhaps in the future a killer can go to a "silk road" marketplace and buy the AI and the hardware to create a killer drone or a killer robot.

It's not that far away....
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
4/5/2018 6:57am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 6:59am
My wife forgot her credit card and i sent it to her on my typhoon h drone. Right down in the parking lot about a mile away. Its the future right now or ..now. wait..no now.

The Shop

Homey55
4/5/2018 8:36am
The X-Files just did an episode on AI and it's pretty good. Definitely worth checking out!
4/5/2018 11:03am
only a matter of time. Don't you guys watch the movies?
rongi#401
4/5/2018 11:17am
Even in old sci find novels like frank Herbert's dune series they have played out this scenario. And we still walk blindly towards it while twit pic in
Rooster
4/5/2018 2:52pm
rongi#401 wrote:
Lead encased hard drive. Un solved
You'd need a faraday cage around the whole computer and it would also need to be battery operated to not get toasted but the voltage surge through the power lines.
rongi#401
4/5/2018 4:40pm
drones with guns, linked up to gps(they now have eyes and direction) and tracking your phone locations(nobody will be willing to let go of the phones) would be a bad scenario
NorCal 50+
4/10/2018 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 9:56pm
Google is already partnering with the Pentagon, and their employees are pissed. It only takes one data transfer to put your entire Internet history into the microchip brain of a robot cop who could be dropped off at your house by a drone. A cop that has superhuman strength and abilities that will be impossible to resist.

I look to science fiction, which has always predicted this, from Blade Runner to Minority Report (both Philip K. Dick) to Orwell etc. The federal government is completely out of control anyhow and just something to be avoided. They just got the Ministry of Truth going as DHS opens up a new "fake news" list of hundreds of thousands of news sites to monitor. Technology run amuck.
Jrewing
4/10/2018 11:00pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Google is already partnering with the Pentagon, and their employees are pissed. It only takes one data transfer to put your entire Internet history into the...
Google is already partnering with the Pentagon, and their employees are pissed. It only takes one data transfer to put your entire Internet history into the microchip brain of a robot cop who could be dropped off at your house by a drone. A cop that has superhuman strength and abilities that will be impossible to resist.

I look to science fiction, which has always predicted this, from Blade Runner to Minority Report (both Philip K. Dick) to Orwell etc. The federal government is completely out of control anyhow and just something to be avoided. They just got the Ministry of Truth going as DHS opens up a new "fake news" list of hundreds of thousands of news sites to monitor. Technology run amuck.
I'm further along the cycle and now hope this shit happens. I'll take solice in the 'i told you so' attitude I'll hold and be happy to be taking 1st account experience in the demise of free human existence.
XXVoid MainXX
4/11/2018 5:55am
This movie just came out a few days ago. You should watch it (free courtesy of Elon Musk):

4/11/2018 7:18am
rongi#401 wrote:
Even in old sci find novels like frank Herbert's dune series they have played out this scenario. And we still walk blindly towards it while twit...
Even in old sci find novels like frank Herbert's dune series they have played out this scenario. And we still walk blindly towards it while twit pic in
You are aware of what the "fi" in that genre is short for, right?
4/11/2018 7:19am
rongi#401 wrote:
drones with guns, linked up to gps(they now have eyes and direction) and tracking your phone locations(nobody will be willing to let go of the phones)...
drones with guns, linked up to gps(they now have eyes and direction) and tracking your phone locations(nobody will be willing to let go of the phones) would be a bad scenario
I'm fairly sure if there are killer robots tracking people by their phone location, people would be willing to let go of the phones.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/11/2018 7:48am
Not killer robots but kinda on subject. There was a news report here in San Diego awhile back about a company making sexbots. These things looked as real as can be and had functioning sexual organs. Even personalities that could be programmed to your preferred attitude. I could see some rich fat bastard in Delmar having a whole garage full of these things in various shapes and colors. Creepy!
NorCal 50+
4/11/2018 8:16am
rongi#401 wrote:
Even in old sci find novels like frank Herbert's dune series they have played out this scenario. And we still walk blindly towards it while twit...
You are aware of what the "fi" in that genre is short for, right?
Plots, characters, settings etc.-- fictional.
Themes and cautionary messages- real. "Science Fiction" is a 50s term, what it really is is Futurism, and speculation on the impacts of technology on the human race, which are fairly simple to predict.

From where I sit, truth is stranger than fiction and you couldn't even dream this stuff up. I am quite sure it is completely impossible to exist without Google tracking you somewhere and somehow at this point. Pretty soon it will be your camera and Wi-Fi connected fridge, which will be sold to you on the basis that you can check from the store if you need eggs or not. I am in the process of establishing a home that has none of the new wi fi add-ons which are nothing more than data gathering devices.
4/11/2018 8:55am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Plots, characters, settings etc.-- fictional. Themes and cautionary messages- real. "Science Fiction" is a 50s term, what it really is is Futurism, and speculation on the...
Themes and cautionary messages- real. "Science Fiction" is a 50s term, what it really is is Futurism, and speculation on the impacts of technology on the human race, which are fairly simple to predict.

From where I sit, truth is stranger than fiction and you couldn't even dream this stuff up. I am quite sure it is completely impossible to exist without Google tracking you somewhere and somehow at this point. Pretty soon it will be your camera and Wi-Fi connected fridge, which will be sold to you on the basis that you can check from the store if you need eggs or not. I am in the process of establishing a home that has none of the new wi fi add-ons which are nothing more than data gathering devices.
My point is that rongi#401 is speaking as if the Bulterian Jihad is a point of reference we should be heeding. I guess it'll just take a mentat to work these things out.
ATKpilot99
4/11/2018 10:09am
rongi#401 wrote:
drones with guns, linked up to gps(they now have eyes and direction) and tracking your phone locations(nobody will be willing to let go of the phones)...
I'm fairly sure if there are killer robots tracking people by their phone location, people would be willing to let go of the phones.
True but if you've ever gotten a flu shot you've likely been injected with a tracking chip. Smile
dirtmike86
4/11/2018 12:10pm
KennyT wrote:
Not killer robots but kinda on subject. There was a news report here in San Diego awhile back about a company making sexbots. These things looked...
Not killer robots but kinda on subject. There was a news report here in San Diego awhile back about a company making sexbots. These things looked as real as can be and had functioning sexual organs. Even personalities that could be programmed to your preferred attitude. I could see some rich fat bastard in Delmar having a whole garage full of these things in various shapes and colors. Creepy!
I wonder if they will sell used ones on craigslist...Grinning add says: never raced, vet ridden, new bottom end. Comes with stand.
rongi#401
4/12/2018 4:33am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Plots, characters, settings etc.-- fictional. Themes and cautionary messages- real. "Science Fiction" is a 50s term, what it really is is Futurism, and speculation on the...

My point is that rongi#401 is speaking as if the Bulterian Jihad is a point of reference we should be heeding. I guess it'll just take...
My point is that rongi#401 is speaking as if the Bulterian Jihad is a point of reference we should be heeding. I guess it'll just take a mentat to work these things out.
Lol fuck yeah!!!
NorCal 50+
4/12/2018 12:33pm
I see Chinese police already have facial recognition glasses that they use to arrest and detain people, as well as using facial recognition to pick someone out of a crowd of 60,000 concert-goers. And we all now China has an abysmal human rights record. I imagine we will have the same here in short order, because it leads to corporate profits and more government power.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/facial-recognition-used-catch-fugitive-09434…

Post a reply to: AI experts call for boycott over 'killer robots

The Latest