ACL recovery time?

oceantrav
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2020 6:28pm
Had my ACL surgery yesterday after waiting 2 plus months cause corona.

Anyways, I thought I’d be good to go in a few months. Doctor said 6 months and rehab yesterday....

What was everyone’s recovery like?

Not sure exactly what they all did, I heard cadaver something, maybe Maniscus too
|
tk2stroke
5/31/2020 11:25am
oceantrav wrote:
Had my ACL surgery yesterday after waiting 2 plus months cause corona. Anyways, I thought I’d be good to go in a few months. Doctor said...

Anyways, I thought I’d be good to go in a few months. Doctor said 6 months and rehab yesterday....

Not sure exactly what they all did, I heard cadaver something, maybe Maniscus too
5-6 months to get back on the bike is doable if you are rehabbing like a pro athlete would and you are in your 20's. The reality is for most, going back on the bike in 5-7 months is risky under any circumstance. You may find yourself ready and feel able, but the likelihood of re-injury is much higher within the first 12 months. If all goes well, the ACL will heal close to 100% in the first 6 months, but the muscles around the knee take longer to full strengthen and protect the ACL like only a fully functional knee needs to do.
oceantrav
5/31/2020 11:33am
oceantrav wrote:
Had my ACL surgery yesterday after waiting 2 plus months cause corona. Anyways, I thought I’d be good to go in a few months. Doctor said...

tk2stroke wrote:
5-6 months to get back on the bike is doable if you are rehabbing like a pro athlete would and you are in your 20's. The...
5-6 months to get back on the bike is doable if you are rehabbing like a pro athlete would and you are in your 20's. The reality is for most, going back on the bike in 5-7 months is risky under any circumstance. You may find yourself ready and feel able, but the likelihood of re-injury is much higher within the first 12 months. If all goes well, the ACL will heal close to 100% in the first 6 months, but the muscles around the knee take longer to full strengthen and protect the ACL like only a fully functional knee needs to do.
I’m 34 in good shape, I’m done riding.

Will love threw my sons now lol
dpingree101
5/31/2020 12:44pm
You’ll feel good in three months... but be careful. The ligament is at its weakest at that point, and most susceptible to tear again. by six months, if you’re being diligent with rehab, you should be able to get back to normal activity.

The Shop

Hoks
5/31/2020 12:47pm
I did PT 3 days a week for 8 months.. it still feels different than the other knee but I’m out there running back in my old form. Haven’t gotten on the bike yet but I feel like I could easily at 6 months.
Hoks
5/31/2020 12:48pm
Also definitely find out exactly what they did, do your own research on the proper rehab routine. And keep your PT accountable to the program.
oceantrav
5/31/2020 12:58pm
When are you able to walk without crutches?

And when will I be able to load my kids bikes in the back of my truck?

Planning on driving 11 hours to muddy creek In 3 weeks for the my kids regional race....
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
5/31/2020 1:39pm
I just had a complex surgery on my knee. ACL MCL LCL
Meniscus all shot. 4 hour long surgery for me. I’m on crutches for 7 weeks doc said. I start therapy tomorrow (surgery done on Friday)
Hoks
5/31/2020 1:47pm
oceantrav wrote:
When are you able to walk without crutches? And when will I be able to load my kids bikes in the back of my truck? Planning...
When are you able to walk without crutches?

And when will I be able to load my kids bikes in the back of my truck?

Planning on driving 11 hours to muddy creek In 3 weeks for the my kids regional race....
I had my meniscus repaired so I was locked out fully straight with no weight bearing for six weeks. Your doctor should have provided you with all this information...

You should probably call your doctor and get some clarification.

Should probably teach your kids to handle their stuff or bring a friend. Give this Injury the appropriate time it deserves.
oceantrav
5/31/2020 2:01pm
My doctor sucks in terms of communication. All the staff at the hospital said he is very thorough and awesome at what he does, but also said he's not very personal and kinda strange. Just said to leave brace on and come see him in 2 weeks.

He did my wrist surgery 3 weeks ago and didn't give much information either...

Hoks
5/31/2020 2:22pm
oceantrav wrote:
My doctor sucks in terms of communication. All the staff at the hospital said he is very thorough and awesome at what he does, but also...
My doctor sucks in terms of communication. All the staff at the hospital said he is very thorough and awesome at what he does, but also said he's not very personal and kinda strange. Just said to leave brace on and come see him in 2 weeks.

Fucking call the dude you paid thousands of dollars to take care of you. You’ll really wreck your knee for the rest of your life if you don’t respect it.
oceantrav
5/31/2020 2:28pm
oceantrav wrote:
My doctor sucks in terms of communication. All the staff at the hospital said he is very thorough and awesome at what he does, but also...

Hoks wrote:
Fucking call the dude you paid thousands of dollars to take care of you. You’ll really wreck your knee for the rest of your life if...
Fucking call the dude you paid thousands of dollars to take care of you. You’ll really wreck your knee for the rest of your life if you don’t respect it.
He already told me to not take the brace off, and scheduled an appointment for 2 weeks later. So going to ask more questions when I see him then. Guess ill hobble on crutches till then. Luckily I work a desk job, and mainly from home now cause the corona

Pink
5/31/2020 2:57pm
Had ACL replacement when I was 17 great shape and was 140 pounds. I was walking well in about a week, riding in 2 months, racing in 3 months. I feel the 6 months is a worst case. Work out in the gym hard, it will pay off!
WFO
5/31/2020 3:06pm
I've had ACL replacement on both knees. One I did 9 months the other 6. I was in better shape when I did 6 months but I still think I pushed and should have done 7. The doc used my patella so it was pretty invasive. You're only as good as your re-hab is probably the most important thing you should remember. Its a FACT!
mister2dt
5/31/2020 3:15pm
Had ACL, MCL, LCL, replacement, PCL wired, Meniscus cleaned and tibia and femur plateaus reattached on April9. I was walking 4 days post surgery. Unhinged walking 2 weeks post, road bike on my trainer 3 weeks post. Im now starting my 8th week and habe been cycling on my road bike on the road for 2 weeks. PT and Dr say 3-4 more weeks and im good to ride again.

It all depends on who your surgeon is and who your PT group is.
oceantrav
5/31/2020 3:26pm
mister2dt wrote:
Had ACL, MCL, LCL, replacement, PCL wired, Meniscus cleaned and tibia and femur plateaus reattached on April9. I was walking 4 days post surgery. Unhinged walking...
Had ACL, MCL, LCL, replacement, PCL wired, Meniscus cleaned and tibia and femur plateaus reattached on April9. I was walking 4 days post surgery. Unhinged walking 2 weeks post, road bike on my trainer 3 weeks post. Im now starting my 8th week and habe been cycling on my road bike on the road for 2 weeks. PT and Dr say 3-4 more weeks and im good to ride again.

Nice, that’s good to hear.

Hope my physical therapy people are good.

I could care less about ever moto’ing Again, I’m done with it. Just want to get back to normal, and working out, boating, etc
EngIceDave
5/31/2020 4:00pm
I had my ACL done last october.
First, I don't know what "feeling 100%" is anymore

I do know this, I was able to stand on it that same night. I was able to hobble on it a day or two later
I was in PT, I think it was 4 days after

I felt "bone pain" in my upper shin, where I suppose the screw is (to hold in new ACL), that only seems to have gone away in last few weeks, can't really remember when it stopped, just one day realized that pain was gone

If I overwork it walking around, climbing too many stairs, climbing hills (I live in Florida, anything is a hill...a speed bump is a hill) it will ache later that day or the next....just aches, like too much exercise

My PT was only like 2 days a week for a month

I could (should) work it more, but never remember

But big thing, IMO, get up on it and get working it.
First, got to get that full lock extension, then work on ROM

This is my second one on this knee (right)
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
5/31/2020 5:52pm
I was cleared at around 90 days. Cleared doesn't mean feeling confident. But I did do some riding.
GoYamaha
5/31/2020 6:26pm
I tore my ACL and Meniscus Aug 2 2018, I'm now 24 and in great shape. I was on crutches for 2 months due to the meniscus. Surgeon said if it was just the ACL I would have walked out of surgery on crutches. I was recommended to do the reconstruction using the hamstring, but was warned it is the stiffest and hardest recovery but the strongest in the long run.

Days 1-3 were painful even with the nerve block that I was given.
Day 4 was brutal as first day of PT and was on a stationary bike for 2 hours peddling forward and backward to get range of motion back.
Day 6 was PT again and actually riding a stationary bike on no load just moving the ligaments.

I then started PT Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday and Saturday. 20 weeks of PT is what I was prescribed and recommended to start with.

By end of week 3 I was walking on a Anti-gravity treadmill only using 30% of my weight on it. Every week were were adding 12% more of my body weight.

Week 6 I was walking on my own with a cane with almost no limp and was doing mostly everything I was doing before except some of my fitness and riding moto.

Week 8 I was jogging and started using stairs and slight jumps to keep building muscle. I was also doing stretches that included twisting of the knee and weighted squats with bar bell.
Week 10 I was starting to run but not flat out.

Week 12 I was running and doing change of direction maneuvers.

Weeks 13-20 were more or less workouts on machines and running with change of directions (like practicing for soccer), finished with stretching and foam rolling the muscles.

I was on a bike doing cornering drills at week 21 or 5 months and started riding the road bike out on the streets as the surgeon was worried about unclipping and falling-for some reason- and didn't release me to ride the road bike until week 21.

Week 23 I was full pace and riding MX and AX again with no issues. Love my new knee braces though.
Pink
5/31/2020 6:31pm
mister2dt wrote:
Had ACL, MCL, LCL, replacement, PCL wired, Meniscus cleaned and tibia and femur plateaus reattached on April9. I was walking 4 days post surgery. Unhinged walking...

oceantrav wrote:
Nice, that’s good to hear. Hope my physical therapy people are good. I could care less about ever moto’ing Again, I’m done with it. Just want...
Nice, that’s good to hear.

Hope my physical therapy people are good.

I could care less about ever moto’ing Again, I’m done with it. Just want to get back to normal, and working out, boating, etc
Your mind is very powerful, think positive, set goals and make shit happen. You will be back to “normal” in no time at all.
5/31/2020 10:55pm
Maybe look at how long it takes a NFL player to come back from ACL. They have the best resources money can buy and they aren't back in 6 months. The ACL is not healed for close to a year. That's why all these moto guys keep re hurting there knees, they don't have the proper amount of time to heal. 6 months you start sport specific training, 8 months riding.
Gary105
6/1/2020 5:38am
Tore mine 90% and had to put in one from a cadaver. That's what happens when you are 54yrs old and racing motocross and dab your foot with no knee braces on... 8 months for me and back on a bike. Have knee braces now though... Lol You only live once!!!
Jake_CR250R
6/1/2020 5:40am
I was back to running around the 2 month mark, and riding at 3 months. Given, I was doing PT and ROM every day. This was after a patella graft, I would be much more cautious with the cadaver graft that you had.
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
6/1/2020 8:14am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2020 8:15am
I have had ACL repair in both knees. I think 6 months to get back on a bike is realistic. You will start feeling strong enough around 3-4 months, but you really aren’t ready. Most important is to rehab. At a certain point you will feel you no longer need it, but keep going. You need that strength to protect the knees. Be religious about Rehab that is my best advice.

Edit to add, I had cadaver tendons put in both knees.
6/1/2020 8:22am
Maybe look at how long it takes a NFL player to come back from ACL. They have the best resources money can buy and they aren't...
Maybe look at how long it takes a NFL player to come back from ACL. They have the best resources money can buy and they aren't back in 6 months. The ACL is not healed for close to a year. That's why all these moto guys keep re hurting there knees, they don't have the proper amount of time to heal. 6 months you start sport specific training, 8 months riding.
Thank you, this is the only realistic answer I’ve seen in here.

6 months is insanely hopeful, normal people are 8-9 months back to somewhat normal form.

DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY STRETCHES AND EXERCISES
monti248
Fantasy
2545th
6/1/2020 10:07am
Invest in a PowerDot. You can get 20% off through The Whiskey Throttle Show. They seriously work. I did a number of things to my knee last summer and the PowerDot helped so much with getting my knee working again.
6/2/2020 9:57am
Honestly from what I hear ACL seems to be different for everyone. I destroyed my knee. First surgery for me they repaired miniscus PCL and LCL. 12 weeks later once that had begun to heal they did a cadaver ACL. I was working before the ACL surgery. Thursday was my surgery and I was back working Monday on my feet 8 hour days. Still took me a good 3 months until I was riding though. Felt pretty good but was afraid of dabbing a foot and messing anything up.
AxlBundy
6/2/2020 12:10pm
Glad to see some good real advice here. There will be a point early on where you will feel confident and think you are a super hero. You are not. 9 months is probably realistic, 12 months even better. And most likely that knee will never be the same or close to your good knee (unless you wreck your good knee too and have 2 bad ones).

Ive torn 2 officially (rehabbed my ass off, 5 games into the next season blew it again non contact). I think I may have tore both this last year, but I just dont even care to have it repaired. Cant tear whats not there....
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
6/2/2020 12:31pm
For me it was 9-10 months.Rehab pretty much every day,PT 3 times and home exercises 4 times a week.Huge PT bill Smile
oceantrav
6/2/2020 12:36pm
Idp57 wrote:
For me it was 9-10 months.Rehab pretty much every day,PT 3 times and home exercises 4 times a week.Huge PT bill Smile
Wtf, that sounds extensive.

I have awesome insurance. Do most have to pay a co-pay for each physical therapy session?

Post a reply to: ACL recovery time?

The Latest