A year after cataclysm, little change on Wall St.

jmar
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2012 11:36pm
Some experts say bigger crisis looms unless systemic risks are addressed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32809328/ns/business-the_new_york_times
|
FishBone
9/12/2009 8:08am
but I thought the messiah had this handled for the people Blink
fcr
9/12/2009 9:31am
I wonder if we will get a refund?
ProMed
9/12/2009 9:55am
Let the gov't take the whole damn thing over. They'll run it right!
ZEDHED
9/12/2009 10:00am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2010 6:02am

The Shop

09450f
9/12/2009 10:03am
ProMed wrote:
YEP.Congress is doing a banged up job
jmar
9/12/2009 10:14am
ProMed wrote:
Wall Street has been making their own rules and policing themselfs for quite some time now. How has that worked out?

Government doesn't have to run it Wall Street. The just have to put some restraints on the funny money practices that has put our economy in the shape it's in today.

ProMed
9/12/2009 10:16am
ZEDHED wrote:
This is why we should give Obama and his administration total control. Bigger Government is the answer.
pelted
9/12/2009 10:24am
From OP source:

Kenneth C. Griffin, founder and chief executive of the Citadel Investment Group, a Chicago-based hedge fund that manages $13 billion, said that regulators and lawmakers needed to impose rules so failing banks could be shut, rather than allowed to operate indefinitely with taxpayer support.

“We’ve taken a lot of steps for the worse, and not for the better, in terms of the structural underpinnings of our capital markets,” Mr. Griffin said. “We have to change the rules and correct the fundamental flaws in the financial system.”

To be sure, Wall Street is not exactly as it was before the cataclysm of last year.

Then, a dozen or so big banks formed the top tier. Now Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase are clearly the strongest, with Morgan Stanley struggling to compete. Bank of America and Citigroup are the weakest big banks, heavily reliant on government guarantees to survive.
jmar
9/12/2009 10:25am
ProMed wrote:
This is why we should give Obama and his administration total control. Bigger Government is the answer.
Wall Street just set this country back generations and the only thing you can say is that same old sound bite of yours?

No wonder this country is so fucked right now.
jimmie
9/12/2009 10:34am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2009 10:35am
ProMed wrote:
As silly as that sounds, there are several people here who totally believe this ti be the "new" truth.

Whatever happen to the hippy liberals who used to shun "big brother"? Now days, "big brother" (government) is the only one they trust to be fair, honest, and trust worthy! Whatever.
9/12/2009 10:34am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2009 10:35am
And that in my opinion is exactly why Obama is failing! Nothing has changed.
jmar
9/12/2009 10:43am
And that in my opinion is exactly why Obama is failing! Nothing has changed.
I have news for you all. Those wall street boys will not regulate themselves and their greed will dig us an even deeper hole that there will be no climbing out of.

That's ok, let's all worry about partisan bullshit while they all stuff their pockets again.
jmar
9/12/2009 10:48am
ProMed wrote:
jimmie wrote:
As silly as that sounds, there are several people here who totally believe this ti be the "new" truth. Whatever happen to the hippy liberals who...
As silly as that sounds, there are several people here who totally believe this ti be the "new" truth.

Whatever happen to the hippy liberals who used to shun "big brother"? Now days, "big brother" (government) is the only one they trust to be fair, honest, and trust worthy! Whatever.
I pay for my government and I want them to do a better job at doing what is right for this country.

I can't believe people will bicker like little children while wall street continues to do as they please and take this country down the tubes.

Do your homework so you all understand what wall street finance did to put us into the shape we're in today, them think about it and see if you want to let them do it all again.
9/12/2009 10:54am
jmar wrote:
I have news for you all. Those wall street boys will not regulate themselves and their greed will dig us an even deeper hole that there...
I have news for you all. Those wall street boys will not regulate themselves and their greed will dig us an even deeper hole that there will be no climbing out of.

That's ok, let's all worry about partisan bullshit while they all stuff their pockets again.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say.
dougie
9/12/2009 11:01am
Our government answers to wall st. Not the other way around.
jmar
9/12/2009 11:16am
dougie wrote:
Our government answers to wall st. Not the other way around.
I agree but I want that changed. This country can't afford another meltdown.
flarider
9/12/2009 12:58pm
Some of you folks need to make up your minds.
You get mad and bitch when the government even mentions getting involved in free enterprise and then get mad if they don't or don't get involved enough.

I swear some of you don't know what the fuck you want except to bitch
kwhite199
9/12/2009 1:07pm
flarider wrote:
Some of you folks need to make up your minds. You get mad and bitch when the government even mentions getting involved in free enterprise and...
You get mad and bitch when the government even mentions getting involved in free enterprise and then get mad if they don't or don't get involved enough.

I think most people want change, but they are afraid that if the government gets involved they will only make it worse.
jmar
9/12/2009 1:11pm
flarider wrote:
Some of you folks need to make up your minds. You get mad and bitch when the government even mentions getting involved in free enterprise and...

Me personally, I want the government to do their job. We already know that the banking industry will do if they go unchecked.
Scotty
9/12/2009 1:16pm
Regulation is good, total control is bad IMO
9/12/2009 2:26pm
flarider wrote:

Yeah I don't want the government to go create a whole new wall street to compete. LMAO!
jmar
9/12/2009 2:34pm
Creating a new wall street would be the best thing this country has seen for years. Chop it off at the knees and start all over again. It's corrupt, it's stupid and it's powerful.
09450f
9/12/2009 2:38pm
jmar wrote:
Creating a new wall street would be the best thing this country has seen for years. Chop it off at the knees and start all over...
Creating a new wall street would be the best thing this country has seen for years. Chop it off at the knees and start all over again. It's corrupt, it's stupid and it's powerful.
include congress with that explanation
jimmie
9/12/2009 2:48pm
ProMed wrote:
jimmie wrote:
As silly as that sounds, there are several people here who totally believe this ti be the "new" truth. Whatever happen to the hippy liberals who...

jmar wrote:
I pay for my government and I want them to do a better job at doing what is right for this country. I can't believe people...
I pay for my government and I want them to do a better job at doing what is right for this country.

I can't believe people will bicker like little children while wall street continues to do as they please and take this country down the tubes.

Do your homework so you all understand what wall street finance did to put us into the shape we're in today, them think about it and see if you want to let them do it all again.
Oh, so you're not "bickering"?
And we, don't want our government to do a better job?
I'm not justifying wall street, just pointing out the ineptness our government has to make decisions that benefit us(their employers). Their decisions only benefit their own agenda, self serving, instead of serving us.
jmar
9/12/2009 2:48pm
jmar wrote:
Creating a new wall street would be the best thing this country has seen for years. Chop it off at the knees and start all over...
09450f wrote:
No argument here. As far as I am concerned we should get rid of each and every one of them and start from scratch.
jimmie
9/12/2009 2:51pm
jmar wrote:
09450f wrote:
jmar wrote:
No argument here. As far as I am concerned we should get rid of each and every one of them and start from scratch.
That has to happen, first.
jmar
9/12/2009 2:54pm
09450f wrote:
jmar wrote:
jimmie wrote:
That isn't going to happen as long as everybody keeps on voting on the party line.

jimmie
9/12/2009 3:00pm
jmar wrote:
jimmie wrote:
jmar wrote:
That isn't going to happen as long as everybody keeps on voting on the party line.

Hey I crossed the line and actually voted for Obama, silly me.
09450f
9/12/2009 3:00pm
jmar wrote:
jimmie wrote:
jmar wrote:

i have to get ready..but when i heard you didn't vote for R or D..i was impressed

i haven't for 4 elections
jmar
9/12/2009 3:14pm
jimmie wrote:
jmar wrote:

jimmie wrote:
Hey I crossed the line and actually voted for Obama, silly me.
At least you weren't voting like a party hack.

I wouldn't vote for Obama or McCain and here in OK we had no independents on the ballot.

I showed but didn't get to vote.

Post a reply to: A year after cataclysm, little change on Wall St.

The Latest