A real doctor watches "What the Health" a Netflix documentary

Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 4:06am
Last week I was talking a vegan co worker about diet. I only knew she was a vegan because she told me 17 times and turned her nose up at my chicken that I was eating. She then started telling me about this great documentary on Netflix about how the vegan lifestyle is SO healthy and meat is the devil, causes cancer, blah blah blah, typical vegan stuff. I was sure to tell her about my mom's battle with breast cancer. My mom did a lot of research and adopted a sugarless diet, because research has shown that cancer loves sugar. When they eventually did her surgery there was no tumor to be found! I never watched the video. But I loved the puzzled look on her face when I told her my mom's story.

Fast forward to tonight at 3:45 in the morning, I came across Zdogg's review of the video, and I usually like his parodies about healthcare so I tuned in. He really hits the nail on the head.

I thought I would share, mostly because it agrees with my opinions about diet, and this video just illustrates how much misinformation there is out there.

https://youtu.be/skIGCoopR-g
|
7/4/2017 5:30am
I didn't watch, but I'm sure it is a fine review.

I just stopped in to say that I grilled an inch thick NY Strip last evening. It was outstanding. If I put a piece on your forehead yer tongue would beat yer brains out trying to get to it.
KMC440
7/4/2017 7:31am
If I put my perfectly marbled 1 1/4in ribeye I get from my butcher on my forehead, I'm positive my body would grow teeth above my eyebrows.
I'll go full veggie for dinner from time to time but to be honest if I don't have meat regularly I get the shakes. Don't try to explain it, I figure I'm a junkie and I'm fine with it. Cool
BLT sounds good for lunch.
7/4/2017 7:50am
KMC440 wrote:
If I put my perfectly marbled 1 1/4in ribeye I get from my butcher on my forehead, I'm positive my body would grow teeth above my...
If I put my perfectly marbled 1 1/4in ribeye I get from my butcher on my forehead, I'm positive my body would grow teeth above my eyebrows.
I'll go full veggie for dinner from time to time but to be honest if I don't have meat regularly I get the shakes. Don't try to explain it, I figure I'm a junkie and I'm fine with it. Cool
BLT sounds good for lunch.
Don't forget to add guacamole to your BLT. I love all LGBTs equally.
KMC440
7/4/2017 11:18am
Straight avacado slices ... and to be honest I prefer sprouts to lettuce... BATS

The Shop

71Fish
7/5/2017 3:59am
Vegans won't admit their lifestyle/diet destroys habitits, forces animals to move and uses excess land. Imagine if the world went vegan.

The trifecta would be a vegan pilot who does cross fit. You'd never get them to shut up.
Graeme M
7/6/2017 2:48am
If you really think this guy's "review" hits the nail on the head then I'm guessing you aren't much of a carpenter. Yes, What The Health is a bit loose with the facts but the underlying message is on point. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't.
7/6/2017 4:33am
Graeme M wrote:
If you really think this guy's "review" hits the nail on the head then I'm guessing you aren't much of a carpenter. Yes, What The Health...
If you really think this guy's "review" hits the nail on the head then I'm guessing you aren't much of a carpenter. Yes, What The Health is a bit loose with the facts but the underlying message is on point. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't.
I don't want to get booted from here for arguing too much, but every clip from that documentary is wrong. They say fat causes diabetes, and fat prevents sugar from being absorbed. Both of those statements are completely wrong.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
7/6/2017 6:03am
"I only knew she was a vegan because she told me 17 times and turned her nose up at my chicken that I was eating."Grinning

I have certain friends that pick up new "diets" and then post about it constantly and how if you don't do it as well then you're killing yourself. Pretty annoying and funny to see at the same time.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
7/6/2017 7:01am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 7:01am
seth505 wrote:
"I only knew she was a vegan because she told me 17 times and turned her nose up at my chicken that I was eating.":lol: I...
"I only knew she was a vegan because she told me 17 times and turned her nose up at my chicken that I was eating."Grinning

I have certain friends that pick up new "diets" and then post about it constantly and how if you don't do it as well then you're killing yourself. Pretty annoying and funny to see at the same time.
If meat eaters talked like vegans...haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8
7/6/2017 8:06am
While not a vegan, I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years. For me it's never been a choice for health reasons, it's simply because I like animals and I no longer want to eat them. I've never been one to preach and try to convert others to becoming a non meat eater. I don't even tell anyone I don't eat meat unless i have too for one reason or another. But once I do usually have to take a few covert smartass digs in an attempt to try and get under my skin. I understand a lot of vegans and vegetarians are obnoxious and judgemental but not all of us are.
ns503
7/6/2017 8:50am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2017 8:51am
I eat meat, have all my life (55 yrs) - but I have also been trying to eat healthier in between my eats of meat the past couple of years having had some family health issues spring up. That usually means some fruits in my breakfast, veggies in my lunch, and more veggies with supper which usually has some meat in it. Also try to limit sweets, and I think my meat intake has gone down some - rarely have any at breakfast anymore, lunch is seldom, depending what is left over in the fridge. Typical there now during the week is a salad with black beans or chick peas for protein - just finished one actually.

I have no problems at all feeling a noticeable downward difference in the way I feel, if I get away from that for a few days or if fast food works into the picture. (Which happens from time to time being on the road at times trying to make a buck). And an upward difference when I get back on track.

For me it's staying away from the bad stuff, not overloading on something, and balance. Don't think there is any way I could swear off a properly cooked steak for life - or ribs. I could go on a little bit with other animals, equal opportunity there. Hot dogs and other processed meaty things - I can live without.

7/6/2017 10:59am
"The trifecta would be a vegan pilot who does cross fit. You'd never get them to shut up. " hahahaha
peelout
7/6/2017 11:17am
no, what I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... no, wait. It's gotta be your bull.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
7/6/2017 5:57pm
I just put a 1/4 pound of bacon on my salad.
TsmithMX
7/6/2017 11:08pm
So, unfortunately, it is you my friend who is very much misinformed. This short video should clear things up for you. I suggest you stop getting your nutrition advice from this so called zdogg.

https://youtu.be/FA_iaLEsiXI
FIREfish148
7/7/2017 2:05am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 2:09am
Zdog is a complete and absolute narcissistic dousch. Also, throwing shade at Joaquin Phoenix's work on a whim is lame. fugg that lame ass.
Graeme M
7/7/2017 4:06am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 4:08am
I don't want to get booted from here for arguing too much, but every clip from that documentary is wrong. They say fat causes diabetes, and...
I don't want to get booted from here for arguing too much, but every clip from that documentary is wrong. They say fat causes diabetes, and fat prevents sugar from being absorbed. Both of those statements are completely wrong.
Yeah, I'm not much interested in arguing the finer points of nutrition and swapping research either. If you dig around you'll find plenty of discussion about the rights and wrongs of What The Health. Look, I'll agree that they played it a bit loose and some of their quoted studies are less than best of breed, but my point is that overall their message is pretty straight.

There are reasons why the Western diet (especially the US version of that) contributes to a significant rising trend in all sorts of illness and disease, and What the Health is absolutely pointing in the right direction. Yes, it's a bit more complicated than that, but by and large the basics are there. A well planned vegan diet, like a well planned omni diet, is always going to offer the best outcomes for health and longevity. Most of us here know the importance of diet as part of managing health and fitness.

Zdogg's review was just grandstanding bullshit. Sure he raised a few genuine issues but on the whole it was an immature rage against an idea he clearly doesn't like. Not a rational and factual review. A plant-based diet is a helluva good idea for people and for the animals. Is it the "best" diet for human health? Maybe, but probably not. Is it the best diet for human health AND animal welll-being? Hell yeah. because our modern treatment of other animals is totally fucked. And too many people are sufficiently self-absorbed not to care.

I see a bit of back and forwards between Dr Garth Davis and zdogg. The upshot is that they are gonna face off in a debate. I hope to see that, especially if zdogg can keep to the subject and not indulge his ego in gratuitous self-flattery and ad hominem.

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/videos/1541160822571487/?hc_location=u…
7/7/2017 4:37am
The guy in the original video talking about fat in the blood causing insulin resistance was way off. I get what he was trying to say now that the guy in the above video rephrased it. He also pretty much summarized our entire obesity problem too...

"simple carbs mixed with a fatty diet, the standard American diet, is going to give you insulin resistance and is going to facilitate fat being held in the body."

It isn't meat, it isn't because we should all be vegan. We simply eat too much food.

Here is a research article that relates to it The conclusion says that fat intake is not associated with a higher risk of type two diabetes.

dietary fat intake and risk for type two diabetes in women
TsmithMX
7/7/2017 12:05pm
The guy in the original video talking about fat in the blood causing insulin resistance was way off. I get what he was trying to say...
The guy in the original video talking about fat in the blood causing insulin resistance was way off. I get what he was trying to say now that the guy in the above video rephrased it. He also pretty much summarized our entire obesity problem too...

"simple carbs mixed with a fatty diet, the standard American diet, is going to give you insulin resistance and is going to facilitate fat being held in the body."

It isn't meat, it isn't because we should all be vegan. We simply eat too much food.

Here is a research article that relates to it The conclusion says that fat intake is not associated with a higher risk of type two diabetes.

You seem to have missed the part where dr davis said the fatty diet, causing fat deposits in muscle cells, causes insulin resistance. He THEN went on to say that adding simple carbs with a fatty diet will also contribute to fat being held in the body. So you see here, it is the MEATY FATTY diet causing the resistence in the first place, not the carbs. Fat in the cell. So are you still saying this documentary is spreading misinformation? It's based on the best available science! And none of the studies are biasedly funded by the meat, egg, dairy industry. It's just good, clean Data.

So it is meat contributing actually. Did you not hear him say the huge epic study found that meat consumption was highly correlated with diabetes? Cmon man, wake up, it's obvious your attached to your lifestyle.
MR. X
7/7/2017 12:17pm
TsmithMX wrote:
You seem to have missed the part where dr davis said the fatty diet, causing fat deposits in muscle cells, causes insulin resistance. He THEN went...
You seem to have missed the part where dr davis said the fatty diet, causing fat deposits in muscle cells, causes insulin resistance. He THEN went on to say that adding simple carbs with a fatty diet will also contribute to fat being held in the body. So you see here, it is the MEATY FATTY diet causing the resistence in the first place, not the carbs. Fat in the cell. So are you still saying this documentary is spreading misinformation? It's based on the best available science! And none of the studies are biasedly funded by the meat, egg, dairy industry. It's just good, clean Data.

So it is meat contributing actually. Did you not hear him say the huge epic study found that meat consumption was highly correlated with diabetes? Cmon man, wake up, it's obvious your attached to your lifestyle.
I did not watch the video . What kind of red meat was used during their study .
TsmithMX
7/7/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 2:00pm
The guy in the original video talking about fat in the blood causing insulin resistance was way off. I get what he was trying to say...

And one more thing. I recommend you read dr Garth Davis' book, Proteinaholic. It is exhaustively well researched. This guy is a bariatric surgeon and wanted to truly help people after surgery or to prevent surgery, so, he poured over the studies. You should read it, because by the sound of it, you're playing Russian roulette with your cardiovascular system there bud... get a coronary calcium scan, that should tell you if your meaty, egg filled diet is working for ya.

I had a coworker die a couple years ago he was about early fifties and was fit his entire life was a top Collegiate wrestler and a coach who exercised every day and he collapsed Dead with a heart attack in the gym. autopsies revealed a clogged artery and this guy was not fat nor was he ever fat he just ate meat and eggs daily.
Titan1
7/7/2017 1:07pm
I love meat...I each to much of it...

In my opinion a diet should be dominated by grains and fruits/vegies...with red meat used sparingly.

Extremes in either direction aren't good, in my opinion...
TsmithMX
7/7/2017 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 2:01pm
Titan1 wrote:
I love meat...I each to much of it... In my opinion a diet should be dominated by grains and fruits/vegies...with red meat used sparingly. Extremes in...

In my opinion a diet should be dominated by grains and fruits/vegies...with red meat used sparingly.

Yes, fruit, veg, beans, ans grains. You do know chicken has virtually as much cholesterol as red meat right? And a chicken breast is still 7 % saturated fat?
71Fish
7/7/2017 2:32pm
Titan1 wrote:
I love meat...I each to much of it... In my opinion a diet should be dominated by grains and fruits/vegies...with red meat used sparingly. Extremes in...

TsmithMX wrote:
Yes, fruit, veg, beans, ans grains. You do know chicken has virtually as much cholesterol as red meat right? And a chicken breast is still 7...
Yes, fruit, veg, beans, ans grains. You do know chicken has virtually as much cholesterol as red meat right? And a chicken breast is still 7 % saturated fat?
I'm sure you missed many recent studies (not paid govt studies from the 60s) that say dietary cholesterol have little to nothing to do with cholesterol levels.
TsmithMX
7/7/2017 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 7:03pm
Titan1 wrote:

TsmithMX wrote:
Yes, fruit, veg, beans, ans grains. You do know chicken has virtually as much cholesterol as red meat right? And a chicken breast is still 7...
71Fish wrote:
I'm sure you missed many recent studies (not paid govt studies from the 60s) that say dietary cholesterol have little to nothing to do with cholesterol...
I'm sure you missed many recent studies (not paid govt studies from the 60s) that say dietary cholesterol have little to nothing to do with cholesterol levels.
Haha I knew someone would say that the second I said the word cholesterol. Here we go. Blood cholesterol levels are increased by eating dietary cholesterol, about this there is no dabate. Saturated fat may increase fasting cholesterol levels more than Dietary cholesterol, but ESPECIALLY in the presence of Dietary cholesterol. That beloved chicken breast contains both saturated fat and cholesterol.

Dietary cholesterol may only increase fasting cholesterol levels around ten percent, BUT, it increases the susceptibility of our LDL to oxidize by 40%. And that's what triggers much of the arterial inflammation that leads to the artery clogging plaque development.

So, dietary cholesterol increases susceptibility to ldl oxidation, vascular inflammation, oxidative stress, postprandial hyperlipidemia, and potentiates the harmful effects of saturated fat, impairs endothelial function, and increases cardiovascular events. (Heart attacks)

Here's my resource. This M.D. pours over tons of peer reviewed research and helps explain scientific jargon/study procedure. I recommend you check out nutritionfacts.org

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/

https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/03/22/the-effects-of-dietary-cholestero…
7/7/2017 4:29pm
I think I'm going to smoke a couple of chickens tomorrow while Southwick is on. I lead with hickory, hit it with cherry half way through, then finish it with apple.
Titan1
7/7/2017 6:00pm
Titan1 wrote:

TsmithMX wrote:
My point was red meat (and chicken for that matter) isn't bad in moderation.

As much red meat (and chicken) as I eat, it's far from the most unhealthy thing I eat every day.

For the record I was thinking of fish when I said red meat.

MR. X
7/7/2017 6:07pm
I think I'm going to smoke a couple of chickens tomorrow while Southwick is on. I lead with hickory, hit it with cherry half way through...
I think I'm going to smoke a couple of chickens tomorrow while Southwick is on. I lead with hickory, hit it with cherry half way through, then finish it with apple.
Maybe you do people a favor and wear a hair net ...errr maybe a full body net?
7/7/2017 8:45pm
Neither of us are going to change each other's minds. A low-carb diet is more sustainable for the average American. Every vegan or vegetarian that I've seen usually has rough-looking skin and hair. On the flip side, obese people usually have very thick shiny healthy looking hair.

Cholesterol intake has been shown to not increase your risk of a heart attack or stroke. I've been in emergency medicine for five years now. Smokers, drug-users, people who don't take care of themselves, and obese people die young and have heart attacks and strokes. Not meat-eaters.

I'm almost full Paleo at this point. I eat about 20 carbs per day and eat a lot of meat. I barely drink alcohol anymore and feel great and the weight is just falling off. Blood pressure is the real determinant of health status and mine is fine.

Post a reply to: A real doctor watches "What the Health" a Netflix documentary

The Latest