A new schism coming soon (Covid-related)

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 3:43pm
Let's do our best to not get political in this one, guys. GuyB, I apologize in advance if it gets ugly.

I see a storm brewing between "side A" and "side B" yet again; this time it's over a massive, 4-week national shutdown. I heard on the radio this morning that an association of healthcare workers and essential businesses are demanding the shutdown.

The freedom-loving patriot in me says, "No, businesses must remain open so we don't slide into the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression."
The logical, health-minded person in me says, "Covid could be completely eradicated by Valentine's day if EVERYONE stayed inside for the entire duration of the lockdown. Those who have the virus will get over it or die; those who never had it will be safe, of course."

Of course, it seems like both sides line up pretty closely with the party they voted for. It seems to me that a feasible middle ground would be to keep all businesses open in a limited, sanitary manner, while minimizing contact between people at all times. But what the heck do I know? I'm just a regular-old college graduate.

I'm interested to see how all this shakes out now that a vaccine is in play. OK guys, play nice -
|
JustMX
12/18/2020 12:33pm
In before a nuke goes off
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/18/2020 12:44pm
Take a look at what Sweden announced today.
Chance1216
12/18/2020 1:02pm
The number of vaccines that were set for delivery next week to Washington state among others, will be reduced by 40%.
In regards to another shutdown, I’m on the fence. I can “Get By” on unemployment but, I would much rather work and get 40 hours if I can. Many other people cannot pay all their bills with unemployment benefits. I feel bad for the majority of businesses that are affected.

If this shutdown happens, hopefully everything else I enjoy in regards to the outdoors is not. Steelhead are in the rivers and I have a new speargun to break in for rockfish on the coast.
OG725
12/18/2020 1:03pm
I believed them once and willingly complied for 14 days, "To flatten the Curve". They got me once, not again. Lockdowns seem to work like gun control, the places with the strictest measures in place, have the worst occurrences.

The Shop

12/18/2020 2:44pm
National Shutdown??? I think what you're referring to is the local Healthcare labor unions and other unions petitioning the LA County Board of Supervisors for a 4 week shut down in January. I haven't heard anything about it being done at a national level
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/18/2020 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2020 3:05pm
National Shutdown??? I think what you're referring to is the local Healthcare labor unions and other unions petitioning the LA County Board of Supervisors for a...
National Shutdown??? I think what you're referring to is the local Healthcare labor unions and other unions petitioning the LA County Board of Supervisors for a 4 week shut down in January. I haven't heard anything about it being done at a national level
You know what? You're right - I had let that part drift out of my attention since this morning. I did hear Joe Biden was considering something like a 4-week shutdown at the national level, and perhaps that's what stuck in my head.

EDIT: (Biden's idea wasn't a full-on plan from what I understand, and it was a while ago that I heard that. Who knows if it will be seriously considered.)
JeremyK
12/18/2020 3:01pm
They've treated 1000s of patients for this , they know exactly who high risk people are now . Lockdown accordingly
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
12/18/2020 3:42pm
I’ll give you my opinion.
It is not possible to entirely shut down a country or community. People will need food, medical care, police etc “essential parts of living”

So unless 100% of the. Population is not quarantined then Covid will not go away. It will still be out there with the “essential” workers, you know, the Walmart n hone Depot employees. Then you have the people that will have to get outside to go walk n get some fresh air, take pets out etc
More Covid spreading.

So anyway my thoughts are a complete lockdown would cause much more damage than the virus would cause. Who knows how many people would “nut up” being confined to their homes for 4 weeks.

I never see a complete lockdown happening. There are not enough National guard, military, LE on earth to enforce it.

BTW I got my haircut this morning at a salon that is giving the unnecessary lockdown of small businesses the middle finger. The windows were papered over and the closed sign n place but inside it was business as usual. Thank god the small business owners are ignoring the unfair “safety” measures that say they are a threat but the large corporations are making all time high profits.
OG725
12/18/2020 3:44pm
JeremyK wrote:
They've treated 1000s of patients for this , they know exactly who high risk people are now . Lockdown accordingly
Absolutely, lockdown the sick. If you're "High Risk", buyer beware.

Folks aren't paying attention, but this country is on the verge of Civil War. It's only going to take one small match to set the entire forest ablaze. Government would be well served to tread lightly, no matter whom is at the helm.
OG725
12/18/2020 3:47pm
National Shutdown??? I think what you're referring to is the local Healthcare labor unions and other unions petitioning the LA County Board of Supervisors for a...
Falcon wrote:
You know what? You're right - I had let that part drift out of my attention since this morning. I did hear Joe Biden was considering...
You know what? You're right - I had let that part drift out of my attention since this morning. I did hear Joe Biden was considering something like a 4-week shutdown at the national level, and perhaps that's what stuck in my head.

EDIT: (Biden's idea wasn't a full-on plan from what I understand, and it was a while ago that I heard that. Who knows if it will be seriously considered.)
ATF is already after pistol braces and 80% lowers and the guy hasn't even been sworn in yet. Buckle up, it might get a bit bumpy.
KMC440
12/18/2020 4:22pm
Stopping a virus ....

call me in 20 years and let me know how it goes.
Chance1216
12/18/2020 4:56pm
KennyT wrote:
I’ll give you my opinion. It is not possible to entirely shut down a country or community. People will need food, medical care, police etc “essential...
It is not possible to entirely shut down a country or community. People will need food, medical care, police etc “essential parts of living”

So unless 100% of the. Population is not quarantined then Covid will not go away. It will still be out there with the “essential” workers, you know, the Walmart n hone Depot employees. Then you have the people that will have to get outside to go walk n get some fresh air, take pets out etc
More Covid spreading.

So anyway my thoughts are a complete lockdown would cause much more damage than the virus would cause. Who knows how many people would “nut up” being confined to their homes for 4 weeks.

I never see a complete lockdown happening. There are not enough National guard, military, LE on earth to enforce it.

BTW I got my haircut this morning at a salon that is giving the unnecessary lockdown of small businesses the middle finger. The windows were papered over and the closed sign n place but inside it was business as usual. Thank god the small business owners are ignoring the unfair “safety” measures that say they are a threat but the large corporations are making all time high profits.
A Washington business was fined $57,000 for violating the no indoor dining rule. They’ve been given a restraining order as well.
SEE ARE125
12/18/2020 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2020 5:16pm
KennyT wrote:
I’ll give you my opinion. It is not possible to entirely shut down a country or community. People will need food, medical care, police etc “essential...

More Covid spreading.

Chance1216 wrote:
A Washington business was fined $57,000 for violating the no indoor dining rule. They’ve been given a restraining order as well.
But yet it’s perfectly acceptable for everyone to go eat in a tent in the parking lot. I swear this pandemic has highlighted just how stupid people are. And it’s not the restaurant owners, they’re doing what they can to keep their businesses afloat and their employees employed. It’s the “rule makers” who determine what is and isn’t acceptable that are the real fucking Einsteins.
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/18/2020 5:27pm
OG725 wrote:
Absolutely, lockdown the sick. If you're "High Risk", buyer beware. Folks aren't paying attention, but this country is on the verge of Civil War. It's only...
Absolutely, lockdown the sick. If you're "High Risk", buyer beware.

Folks aren't paying attention, but this country is on the verge of Civil War. It's only going to take one small match to set the entire forest ablaze. Government would be well served to tread lightly, no matter whom is at the helm.
Well you've got a bunch of people sowing chaos and actively taking steps to create economic trouble at the same time our national security infrastructure is highly compromised.

I'm stocking up and preparing for a potential self lock down at any point.

Last time I got clicked it was for getting too political with some trouble maker named Mutt, so I'll just leave it at that Wink
OG725
12/18/2020 5:33pm
early wrote:
Well you've got a bunch of people sowing chaos and actively taking steps to create economic trouble at the same time our national security infrastructure is...
Well you've got a bunch of people sowing chaos and actively taking steps to create economic trouble at the same time our national security infrastructure is highly compromised.

I'm stocking up and preparing for a potential self lock down at any point.

Last time I got clicked it was for getting too political with some trouble maker named Mutt, so I'll just leave it at that Wink
That guy was an ass.
12/18/2020 6:48pm
As a healthcare worker, I'm NOT calling for a lockdown.

Edit - deleted a paragraph that was here.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
12/18/2020 7:02pm
Wife works L&D (labor & delivery), they’re gonna tell all the pregos to put a cork in it for four weeks. Should be good.
JeremyK
12/19/2020 12:43am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Wife works L&D (labor & delivery), they’re gonna tell all the pregos to put a cork in it for four weeks. Should be good.
I'm curious what my wife and I will be in for come march 26th when she has our 2nd kid
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
12/19/2020 9:39am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
I'm curious what my wife and I will be in for come march 26th when she has our 2nd kid
Hoping for a healthy and happy baby for you both.
JN137
Fantasy
455th
12/19/2020 10:06am
I have a large family. We live pretty close to one another and since March we have gotten together about 3 nights a week to play poker, eat pizza, etc. We usually have a couple non-family members join in as well. From what I have read, these types of "small gatherings" are supposed to be some of the worst situations for spreading COVID. Not a single one of us has had it, let alone spread it to one another. And here's the thing.. we have ALL been working (which I am thankful for), going to stores, basically doing as much as we're allowed to for the duration of all this.. and not a single case amongst us.

Through the past 10 months I still personally only know of 1 single person that has had it. Literally 1. He said it was like a cold, and he rested for a couple of days.

Now, I am not saying this to make the point of "SEE, SEE, we're fine! It's not real". Obviously it's real.. I am just saying that we didn't choose to live in fear or stop living our lives because of it. Except in ways we are no longer allowed of course.. At my age and health, I am at virtually zero risk from dying from this virus. And I don't take that for granted in the slightest, as I am aware many people have been affected by this.. I just believe that it should be my own responsibility to keep myself safe.

We've been told not to gather with family for birthdays, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Weddings have been canceled. Countless businesses have gone under. A friend of mine took his life this year and we were not allowed to have a funeral for him due to COVID. A week later, hundreds (if not thousands) of politicians gathered for a televised funeral for George Floyd. These so-called "leaders" have slapped the American people in the face time and time again and we just sit back and take it.

Here's what I want to know.. What is the end game? Those that are cowering in their homes for coming up on a year now.. Who is your savior in all of this? What Facebook article or "data" is going to make you comfortable that this is over?
Titan1
12/19/2020 10:47am
War on terror. (We’ve got to stop terrorism)
War on Drugs (We’ve got to stop drug use)
Now
War on a virus (we’ve got to stop this virus)

All things used more to control the masses and make certain people lots and lots of money, than they are to actually “win” the respective war.

No go from me on another shut down....I did my part with the first one...I’m still doing my part with the socially distancing...Neither seem/ed to work...so no way would I support a four week shut down.
Shiftfaced
12/19/2020 10:50am
You did your part, Titan, on the first one.

Did the dude above you do his part?

He cancelled you out. It really is an “all or nothing” proposition, and for it to work, everybody has to do their part.

Sadly, that will never happen.

This is why we cannot have nice things.
racin mason
12/19/2020 11:32am
Shiftfaced wrote:
You did your part, Titan, on the first one. Did the dude above you do his part? He cancelled you out. It really is an “all...

He cancelled you out. It really is an “all or nothing” proposition, and for it to work, everybody has to do their part.

How did a guy in California cancel out a guy in Utah??? JNmotopro did not come down with covid ,his family and friends didnt either. Why isnt any one mad at the Chinese for starting this whole thing?? Why do the politicians that are making up the rules as they go along, continually disobey their own rules?? Shut up and obey!!!
JN137
Fantasy
455th
12/19/2020 11:35am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2020 11:42am
Shiftfaced wrote:
You did your part, Titan, on the first one. Did the dude above you do his part? He cancelled you out. It really is an “all...

Where do you draw the line between what's considered doing your part and not doing your part?

I did my part by wearing a mask when I was asked to, social distancing whenever required, washing my hands as recommended, and giving up many liberties we have enjoyed our entire lives.

I did however continue to try and make a living, and see my family.

If not staying inside your home for 42 straight weeks is not doing your part than I'd have to assume we are all guilty.
Shiftfaced
12/19/2020 11:42am
Not going to argue.

This stuff is a silent killer, and sneaks around in ways that are difficult to recognize, and control.

People are asympotmatic, and have no idea that they are soreading this virus.

We are now up to 3,000 Americans, losing their life daily, because we did not handle our business.

No going back. We had a chance, and pissed all over ourselves.

Because we will not be told what to do, and because we are selfish, we failed. We flat out failed.

Nobody to blame but ourselves.
Shiftfaced
12/19/2020 11:44am
JN137 wrote:
Where do you draw the line between what's considered doing your part and not doing your part? I did my part by wearing a mask when...
Where do you draw the line between what's considered doing your part and not doing your part?

I did my part by wearing a mask when I was asked to, social distancing whenever required, washing my hands as recommended, and giving up many liberties we have enjoyed our entire lives.

I did however continue to try and make a living, and see my family.

If not staying inside your home for 42 straight weeks is not doing your part than I'd have to assume we are all guilty.
Wrong.

You played cards while Rome burned.

Inviting those people into your home spread this, whether you realize it or not.

Post a reply to: A new schism coming soon (Covid-related)

The Latest