900 miles in UT, ID, and WY on an R6...in three days.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2017 10:28 AM

Last weekend (Thursday the 6th - Saturday the 8th)...a group of friends and I took road trip on motorcycles...I don't own a street bike (at the moment...I most recently sold a Triumph Speed Triple a few years ago), so I borrowed a 2007 Yamaha R6 from my brother. We had a mixed group, as far as bikes are concerned...I'm on an R6, I had a buddy on a CBR 1000RR, another on a BMW, S1000RR, a dude on a Harley Davidson, and another on a Kawasaki cruiser of some sort, and then one BMW R NineT.

I wish I'd of taken more pictures...next time.

We started South of Salt Lake City, and took I-15 up to Brigham City, UT then Highway 89 to Logan, UT. From there we stayed on the 89 and went over Logan Canyon (very fun canyon on a sport bike, great road condition, lots of traffic though) to Garden City/Bear Lake. Here is the view just before we dropped down into Bear Lake:

Photo

Then North to Montpelier, ID, over Montpelier Canyon (very fun, but not a lot of sharp corners, so you've got to go very fast to get any pleasure out of it) up to Star Valley, WY...then, staying on the 89 we went by Palisades Reservoir (great road condition, moderate traffic, very fun canyon, and beautiful scenery), Finally taking highway 31 over Piney Pass (road condition is awful, great turns, little traffic) to Victor ID, where we stayed the night. Here are our accommodations...I didn't take a picture of the actual cabin...but its a beautiful log home:

Photo

And the view off the back deck...that is Grand Teton in the background (hard to see):

Photo

Here is our trip North Summary:

Photo

Photo

The next day we took Highway 33 out of Victor, over Jackson Pass toward Jackson Hole, WY (great canyon, sharp turns, lots of traffic though. Here is the view from the top of Jackson Pass:

Photo

From there we went through Jackson Hole and then North through Grand Teton National Park on highway 191/26, saw some buffalo and elk and that is a beautiful mountain range:

Photo

Exiting Grant Teton National Park at Moran (I chuckled when I saw the sign...Vital follows me everywhere...lol) junction we took highway 26 East through Bridger-Teton National Forest and over the continental divide toward Dubois WY where we had lunch and then turned around did it the other direction back to Victor for the night. Here's how it looked on paper:

Photo

Photo

Saturday Morning we headed home...we took the same route south as we did North until we got to Garden City...then rather than staying on Highway 89 and going back to Logan, we kept South on Highway 30 then going due South on Highway 16 through Randolf, UT and then finally heading West on Highway 39 at Woodruff, UT...from there we road over Monte Cristo Pass...this was almost my favorite part of the ride...the road is in great condition, virtually no traffic, and more turns that I can count...from fast (triple digit speed corners) to 40/50mph switchbacks at the top...its was a blast on a sport bike.

The only problem, is that just about when I was hitting the summit, I felt the rear tire going away in the corners...I wasn't sure what it was, but it wasn't planted, at all...so I limped it into Huntsville...found a gas station...13 psi...crap!...sure enough, there was a nail in the tire. This was a bummer, because we'd planned to take highway 167 South to Mountain Green, then the 84 to Morgan, and the 66 South to East Canyon State Park, then the 65 to I-80 in Parlies Canyon (bypassing virtually all of I-15...and giving us plenty of corners to race...er....ride).

Anyway, that plan is out the window and I'm still almost 100 miles from home Late in the afternoon on a Saturday on a Holiday weekend. I wasn't sure how fast it was leaking, so I put about 45 psi in it, and limped it the 15 miles around Pineview Reservoir down Ogden Canyon and then stopped to check the PSI again...43 psi. I'd lost 2 PSI in 15 miles. So I figured I'd just ride it home and if it got too low, I'd just add more air.

It was a lame ending to an otherwise amazing trip!

Photo

Photo

I was plenty worried about that many hours on a full sport bike...but I've got to say it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I'd say I was more comfortable than the dudes on the cruisers. The only thing that really bothered me at all was my knees (in full leathers, the leathers kind of bound up behind my knees) and my right wrist...since the bike doesn't have cruise control, I couldn't take my right hand off the bars for long...so I ended up buying a "CrampBuster" and it made all the difference in the world. On the straight roads, I could rest my elbow on my knee and manage the throttle with my thumb or one finger (which took that awkward angle out of my wrist), or open my hand and use my palm. When positioned correctly, its not even noticeable when riding. I highly recommend it for any bike without cruise control.

Photo

|

7/5/2017 10:40 AM

Nice! I've always wanted to do a trip like that. One day I would like to view some of the old ghost towns or ride up the coast. I think it's HWY 101

|

7/5/2017 10:55 AM

Bro, you killed it. My Dad lives in Victor, ID. Did you do the swan valley ride?

|

7/5/2017 11:47 AM

Good stuff! Only trucked down through there, always wanted to hit that country on a cruiser. Need to get to 95 south out of Lewiston, and take 55 into Boise. Awesome country.

|

7/5/2017 11:47 AM

LOL...good point. I looked at the wrong week on the calendar.

|

7/5/2017 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2017 12:08 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Bro, you killed it. My Dad lives in Victor, ID. Did you do the swan valley ride?

We made it to Swan Valley...but headed North/NorthEast over PineyPass and into Victor on Highway 31 rather than continue West on Highway 26.

But the Palisades (Between Alpine Junction and the Dam on Palisades Reservoir) is one of my favorite roads.

I'm not exactly sure what is considered "swan valley" though...

|

7/5/2017 12:14 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

We made it to Swan Valley...but headed North/NorthEast over PineyPass and into Victor on Highway 31 rather than continue West on Highway 26.

But the Palisades (Between Alpine Junction and the Dam on Palisades Reservoir) is one of my favorite roads.

Hwy 31 to 26 from Victor to Idaho Falls, along the Snake river. I always take that route to the old man's house. Way better than going out through Rexburg...

|

7/5/2017 12:19 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

avidchimp wrote:

Hwy 31 to 26 from Victor to Idaho Falls, along the Snake river. I always take that route to the old man's house. Way better than going out through Rexburg...

Gotcha! So we did ride part of that...Piney Pass..., but we came in from the South -Star Valley-(rather than from Idaho Falls)...Piney pass, that canyon has a ton of potential...but the road is in terrible condition...there were even signs warning motorcyclists.

|

7/5/2017 1:11 PM

Cool ride report, thanks for posting.

I agree with you about the cruise control I put a Throttle Meister on my FZ1 it makes all the difference in the world on long Hwy rides.

|

7/5/2017 5:51 PM

Cool! Looked like a lot of fun. Thx for sharing!

|

7/6/2017 7:16 AM

Me and the wife were camping at Palisades over the weekend. And we heard a couple sport bikes and cruisers/Harley's go by. Was probably you and your buddies haha

|

7/6/2017 10:33 PM

Idaho747 wrote:

Me and the wife were camping at Palisades over the weekend. And we heard a couple sport bikes and cruisers/Harley's go by. Was probably you and your buddies haha

Lol...that's funny. I saw a lot of cruisers Saturday, but I was with the only sport bikes I saw, so it probably was me. Small world.

|