5th wheel livin

AJ565
So the GF and I recently went our separate ways. Currently I don't plan on staying in Texas or at least this part of Texas as its not my thing. I got to thinking because across the street from my work is a motorhome dealer and I have to look at all the cool trailers they have all the time on test drives.

So my thought process is I live in an apartment and its $1400/mo plus electric. I went yesterday and looked at a few 5th wheels new and used and payments are anywhere from low $400's to mid $600's depending on what you get. I liked the new one that has the master bed in the back and a garage thats sealed off under it so I could put my bike and gear and I could just pull the whole thing to the track and spend the weekend. There is a few long term RV's parks close to here that range from $300-$500/mo for full hookup, wifi, and cable. That puts me in the $1100 range (same as a 1 bedroom apartment in the area). Has anyone ever done it or known someone that has? With the sides popped out its not much smaller than an apartment and its just me living in it. I have a 24' car hauler that has my car in so if/when I decided to move I could just hook up and go and either make two trips or fly back and pull the trailer with a uhaul or something. Thoughts?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/5/2019 11:57am
When our house burnt down I was still in school but while my parents were building the new one we stayed in our fifth wheel for several months.

There was 4 of us but it was a big unit so it wasn't that bad. I think it was 43', 3 slide outs plus the garage in the back. We had converted the garage into a gaming area so we could shut the door, stay up late and not bother our parents.

By late November it was starting to get cold but I'm in Canada. You being in Texas it shouldn't be too bad. I know at that time of the year my dad was filling up propane tanks like crazy since those things aren't really well insulated for cold temperatures.

If it's just you and no kids I'd go for it.

You mentioned you live in an apartment. Where do you currently keep your bike? A friend's place or storage unit? If it's in storage then having the garage in the back of the fifth wheel will save you some money.

Downside is that it's a depreciating asset and you won't be building any equity. The money you save could go towards a savings/retirement account.

Don't forget to include the price of insurance to your overall monthly cost.
AJ565
4/5/2019 12:18pm
I didn't really count insurance since I have to pay that on an apartment too. My bike is in the apartment garage thats extra each month. So a storage unit for the random stuff that won't fit in the 5th wheel storage like my tool box and shifter kart will need to happen. I'd like to upgrade my car hauler to a 32' 5th wheel and then I could just put everything in it and not need a storage unit for it.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/5/2019 2:40pm
Maverick, his apartment isn't earning him any equity right now, either.

AJ, how old are you? It might be a really cool way to live and be very mobile. You could work and live in one place for a year or two and then pick up stakes and move on. The tough part will be if you decide you don't like it before you pay the 5th wheel off, or at least down enough that you can sell it. You might be stuck in that situation.
akmx17
4/5/2019 2:50pm
I've been thinking of doing the same, I cant find land where I want to live, so I just wanna buy a Truck and a Toy Hauler and live in it in the winters down in AZ / Wherever the wind blows then live home on my moms couch during the summer.

The only thing is you're not getting equity and your investment in it is never coming back but unless you're buying a house, the same is for that.

The Shop

APLMAN99
4/5/2019 2:54pm
Too bad Hut isn’t here anymore. He could provide some really good insight.
TXDirt
4/5/2019 8:06pm
Do not buy new. 5th wheels and RV's in general are a dime a dozen. So many people buy new, and then less then a year or two later realize they don't like driving with a trailer, or want something different, or just can't afford it any more and sell for a huge huge discount to the new price.

Me and the wife have talked about when we retire or maybe even sooner then that, buying a double wide mobile home and just live on a few acres. Almost pulled the trigger on a home up by lake Texoma a few years ago. That's what got me interested in the mobile homes. They are frickin nice!! Was completely shocked. Open layouts. same materials as in a house for goodness sake. Granite. Fireplaces, etc. Can't beat the price of them for what you get. That doesn't have anything to do with your trailer idea really. Just talking out loud to myself.
AJ565
4/6/2019 5:01pm
I’m 36. I’m still looking into places to park it and such. I haven’t really looked into any used stuff yet. They told me 5th wheels don’t last long when used because the oil field guys have been snatching them up.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/7/2019 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 12:13pm
AJ565 wrote:
I’m 36. I’m still looking into places to park it and such. I haven’t really looked into any used stuff yet. They told me 5th wheels...
I’m 36. I’m still looking into places to park it and such. I haven’t really looked into any used stuff yet. They told me 5th wheels don’t last long when used because the oil field guys have been snatching them up.
Never getting married, or the last one just wasn't the one? That will be a big part of your equation right there, unless you find a woman whose dream scenario is to live in a trailer. Good luck with that! ?
If you are staying single for a while, it sounds fun.
Joemx
4/7/2019 1:27pm
I've had several buddies that have done this both married and single. The married couple eventually got a house because a trailer didn't cut it with 1 kid and another on the way, but they loved living like that - saved a bunch of dough because their parents let them park the trailer on their 5 acre ranch. We used to do a lot of camping together and they would just secure the drawers and cabinets inside, hook up and away they went.

Another buddy lived in a trailer park for years until he got married. One thing he mentioned about some of those trailer parks is that they can attract some pretty low life characters - so choose your parks carefully.

Currently I know a guy that's on the verge of retirement, he's been living in his trailer since he got divorced like 15 years ago. He knows a lot of people and always seems to find someone who will let him park on their property for free or for a small fee. He can afford to rent a house, but he prefers living like that - cheap and no maintaining a house, etc.

If that's what you want to do and it'll save you some dough and add some convenience - Go for it !

mutti_wilson
4/11/2019 12:20pm
I lived in one with my wife and 4 kids for almost 2 years while building a house. Luckily we had use of a sauna in a separate building next to where we were parked and used that for showering. We were hooked up to utilities as well which is key for any length of time. It was a 36' bunkhouse model with a separate bedroom for the kids and for us. It was a little claustrophobic during our winters where it rains so much, but I'd do it again rather than renting.

My friends are renting right now while they build. They have 4 kids as well and it's working for them pretty well.
newmann
4/11/2019 1:31pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Too bad Hut isn’t here anymore. He could provide some really good insight.
One more good guy with a sense of humor that got clicked and run off. Damn shame.
JAFO92
4/11/2019 6:50pm
Been living in an old 30' for 6 months now while building new shop & house. It sucks ass. Cant wait to be outta this thing.
newmann
4/11/2019 6:54pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Been living in an old 30' for 6 months now while building new shop & house. It sucks ass. Cant wait to be outta this thing.
Well, let's see some pics.
JAFO92
4/11/2019 7:17pm
newmann wrote:
Just finished shop (Stinkin' El Nino has this project 5 months delayed) and will be pushing dirt for house pad soon.

About a week or so ago before got gravel in:

Now with ole 30' beside it and gravel done.

AJ565
4/12/2019 9:42am
I'm still thinking about this. I think mainly because I have to drive by the RV lot everyday and see them all opened up. What I really need to do it search out areas that I'd like to live in other states and see whats there to offer parking that thing wise. I do think it'd be awesome to take to the track on the weekends and not have to go "home".
newmann
4/12/2019 10:03am
newmann wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
Just finished shop (Stinkin' El Nino has this project 5 months delayed) and will be pushing dirt for house pad soon. About a week or so...
Just finished shop (Stinkin' El Nino has this project 5 months delayed) and will be pushing dirt for house pad soon.

About a week or so ago before got gravel in:

Now with ole 30' beside it and gravel done.

Nice!

Post a reply to: 5th wheel livin

The Latest