50k $$ for a pick'em up truck. Who has done it?

Edited Date/Time 5/18/2015 9:26am
We have a Ford plant in town that builds the Ford F150. I like the truck, but some of the base models are pushing 40 grand. If you want leather you are in mid 40's at least. Many are 50 grand.
I see these trucks driving on the hwy daily. I think I do pretty well for myself, but how in the world do people buy these things?A 6 year loan? payments more than a mortgage/rent payment? holy crap.
Apparently many people do this, I don't get it. Any of you high rollers have a $50,000 truck?

I like to feed my family. I like an annual family vacation. I put money away for retirement and my kids 529.
I'm guessing they don't have jack in the bank and credit debt out the ass. I'm not perfect, but something is wrong here.
|
MR. X
5/6/2015 8:14am
I'm way to cheap to buy a new truck,alot of people find a way though ,they're selling like crazy.
huck
5/6/2015 8:21am
We have a Ford plant in town that builds the Ford F150. I like the truck, but some of the base models are pushing 40 grand...
We have a Ford plant in town that builds the Ford F150. I like the truck, but some of the base models are pushing 40 grand. If you want leather you are in mid 40's at least. Many are 50 grand.
I see these trucks driving on the hwy daily. I think I do pretty well for myself, but how in the world do people buy these things?A 6 year loan? payments more than a mortgage/rent payment? holy crap.
Apparently many people do this, I don't get it. Any of you high rollers have a $50,000 truck?

I like to feed my family. I like an annual family vacation. I put money away for retirement and my kids 529.
I'm guessing they don't have jack in the bank and credit debt out the ass. I'm not perfect, but something is wrong here.
My truck listed for $54,000...that's crazy. It's just a half ton with a 5.7 in it.
The diesel I had was pushing 200,000 miles and I didn't need to pull anything real heavy anymore so it was time for a new truck.I'm glad I wasn't buying a new diesel, as it would have been over $60,000.

$50,000 has the same buying power as $17,552.68 in 1980.

IWreckALot
5/6/2015 8:34am
I believe they let you stretch the loan out over about 8 or 9 years now. I just bought a $30,000 Toyota Tundra. It's a pretty basic model. Crew cab, cloth interior. It has a nice bluetooth system that I like pretty well. $30K used to be the fully loaded option. Buy lightly used. I've been doing that and you can get about 20% of the cost off a new truck and still get the new truck smell.

Used car salesman story:

My wife just bought a used 2014 F-150. It's the King Cab with cloth interior and the 5.4L V8. We paid about $30,000 for it too. That car buying experience was HORRIBLE though. I wasn't with her but was texting her through the process. Took 9 hours out of her day to seal the deal. She did a pretty good job beating them up on price and rate though. Long story short they came back with an average rate they give to people with average credit. The rate was 15.99%. Apparently the average credit score there is 580. She got up to walk out and the guy was insistent on running her credit. I told her to tell him to run a hypothetical with a 750 score and he wasted another hour talking about why he needed her SSN. I told her to leave if he couldn't do it. Another 30 minutes he came back with a 2.99% rate. . . WTF? From 16% to 3%? Then I told her to have him come down $1,500 and that whole process took another 2 hours. I guess my wife is more patient than I am. The funny part is the sales guy keeps e-mailing asking for my opinion on google and yelp. If he writes me again, I'll be putting my honest opinion out there for the world to see. . . and he won't be liking it.
5/6/2015 8:35am
F250 Diesel we looked at yesterday was $55,000. He called my coworker back with a "deal he can't pass up". haha. Let's see, with 20 grand down payment, a 6 year loan, it's in the neighborhood of $450/mo. That isn't so out of line, but think about 72 months, huge down payment, and insurance, taxes......my head is spinning.

The Shop

MR. X
5/6/2015 9:12am
I just bought a new car ,while I was sitting there waiting for the salesman to play the numbers game ,I hear a few diffrent people in there talking about lease prices,I'm guessing alot of people must lease vehicles these days.
philG
5/6/2015 9:27am
Most people here are on a PCP scheme , minimal deposit, finance over 3 years or so , and then a final payment at the end.. that way you get a car for £250 a month , and trade it every 3 years .. if you are lucky you wont even need to have it serviced more than once.

Its a no brainer.

I buy cheap old big cars , got a 97 Mercedes that owes me $700, less than 100,000 on it, runs as good as anything , when its doesnt i will crush it and get another.

newmann
5/6/2015 9:43am
I have customers who get into new high end vehicles every 2-3 years. $70,000.00- $100,000.00 + vehicles. One of them was having his Land Rover serviced at about 18 months old when they decided to upsell him to the new one. He figured they would come back wanting about 30 grand from him. Nope, his trade and $55,000.00 would put him in a new one. Yikes.....even he didn't fall for it and he sweats money.

I got the wife a 2 1/2 year old BMW X5 M for half of what another one of my customers paid for it when he was trading for a new Porsche SUV. Been a bit of a money pit for service.Sick

Myself, my 2001 Ford F250 just rolled over 200,000 miles. Love my clattering ass 3/4 ton crew cab diesel 4x4. Best truck ever. When I bought it I said I was going to keep it 10 years. When 10 years rolled around, I said to myself that 15 sounded even better! Now, here we are at 15 years and the wife keeps telling me I need a new truck. Me? 20 is just around the corner.Cool
Ebs
5/6/2015 10:02am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2015 10:05am
I tend to stick around the 10% of my yearly income mark when buying a daily driver, and no, not anywhere close to a brand new truck. I'd hate to have to go to work so I could afford the thing I bought to get me to work. I can think of better things I could blow my money on.
hvaughn88
5/6/2015 10:17am
I'm still driving my old F-150 too. It has 148,000 miles and been a really good truck. I've thought about buying a new one, but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on buying a new to replicate my current one. I only live about a mile from where I work and we have a work car that I use for my job, so I really don't even drive my truck much. I'll probably just keep driving it for years to come, haha.

Olson
5/6/2015 10:23am
Hah! 50k for a Ford F150, they don't even sell those over here. We can get the Ford Ranger double cab wildtrack but it STARTS at 50k. That's ridiculous.
newmann
5/6/2015 10:26am
Olson wrote:
Hah! 50k for a Ford F150, they don't even sell those over here. We can get the Ford Ranger double cab wildtrack but it STARTS at...
Hah! 50k for a Ford F150, they don't even sell those over here. We can get the Ford Ranger double cab wildtrack but it STARTS at 50k. That's ridiculous.
No Ranger Double Cab Wildtrack here Olson. What does it even look like?
Tumblin
5/6/2015 10:29am
I threw down $32K for a new '03 Cummings Quad, long bed, Manual. I had done it with a second 10 year I needed to finish my house off with. Of course I was going to pay it right backWhistling ...anyhow, it was ment to be my "truck" until I start running over people in my old age. I'm still looking good with just 110K and a new company van to log my time in.
Now if I can only get my wife to buy into the same concept...
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/6/2015 10:31am
My 98 Ford F150 must be worth at least $2400 these days, maybe less...
Olson
5/6/2015 10:44am
Olson wrote:
Hah! 50k for a Ford F150, they don't even sell those over here. We can get the Ford Ranger double cab wildtrack but it STARTS at...
newmann wrote:
No Ranger Double Cab Wildtrack here Olson. What does it even look like?
And you can only get it with a short bed which is useless. There's no market for pick ups over here unless they do anything about the gas prices or get a decent performing diesel engine in them. Been rumours about Mercedes building one for years. The VW Amarok must sell really good, seem to see them everywhere but the pricing is way off. I want one, used to drive a Vito, then a Sprinter van but there's no comfort and they're not that fun to drive in the city and on busy roads. A pick up is much more versatile.

Rooster
5/6/2015 11:13am
For a diesel RAM up here you can easily spend 80-90K.

I see tons of them driving around that also have 10-50K worth of mods done to them.

Kids in the oil patch spend crazy money on their trucks, but they can afford it with what they're making. Not too many places you can drop out of school in grade 10 and be making 100K+ by the time you're 18.
5/6/2015 1:56pm
I have a friend that is a salesman at a local ford dealer. He rolled up to the track with his bike in the back the other day in a brand new FX4 aluminum F150. Every bell and whistle known. I said, "how do you borrow a truck to go to the track? Id be pissed if I bought a 60k truck and it had your 1k miles on it. He says "no its a trade in, it has 7k miles on it. they guy traded it in because he liked the chrome one better." Who the F does that? I wonder how big of a beating he took on that was?

I paid 27k for my '12 f150 new. I got a good deal but that is still a shit load of money.
philG
5/6/2015 2:08pm
I just dont get why people drive pick ups... cant leave anything in the back , and putting a bike in is a PITA.. always wanted one when i was a kid, till i put a bike in one.

Van all day long.
IWreckALot
5/6/2015 2:23pm
philG wrote:
I just dont get why people drive pick ups... cant leave anything in the back , and putting a bike in is a PITA.. always wanted...
I just dont get why people drive pick ups... cant leave anything in the back , and putting a bike in is a PITA.. always wanted one when i was a kid, till i put a bike in one.

Van all day long.
For a lot of Americans, owning a truck is more practical than a van. You have a good point about not being able to leave anything in the back of a truck. But we don't view it as much of an inconvenience to unload whatever valuables are in the bed when we're parking for an evening. I can see the benefits to both, but my preference is a truck. It's not that difficult to run a bike up a ramp into the back of a truck. Just takes a few times of practice. Now if I had a lifted truck, that would be a different story.
Hut
5/6/2015 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2015 2:26pm
We need a good rig to haul our fifth wheel so it ain't cheap. In 2006 I spent $40k on my '06 Ram CTD Quad Cab (255,000 miles and counting). Last July we spent close to $56k for her '14 F-350 Powerstroke Crew cab which had a sticker price of $62k. It ain't cheap but that sucker sure can pull and the air conditioned seats are nice Cool
The way to do it is save money and take good care of your trade in. Cool
5/6/2015 2:53pm
philG wrote:
I just dont get why people drive pick ups... cant leave anything in the back , and putting a bike in is a PITA.. always wanted...

Van all day long.
The reason I have a truck, is not only for my bikes, but for yard work and stuff. I hauled some bricks and landscape timbers home from the home depot just yesterday. I can't live without a truck.
Olson
5/6/2015 3:07pm
philG wrote:

Van all day long.
I honestly think you are much more comfortable in a truck than in any modern van. The new line of Mercedes Sprinter is good enough but the wall makes the chair adjustments limited. I had a Sprinter van for a couple of years with a workshop and living area and it was the perfect race van but I hated to use it for any daily use. I had to have two cars. I drive about 30 000+ km a year. If I had to do that in a Sprinter van or any other kind of van I would drive it off a cliff. If you only use it for moto I would go for a van any day but if you're limited to one vehicle only I would go for any modern truck. Your ride is more comfortable, you can bring more passengers, you have a bed you can use for more things than moto only. bicycles, tools any kind of miscellaneous stuff really, if you need to do work on your house, move stuff etc. Instead or going around with a trailer attached to your daily use car. With the taxes on vehicles over here it's almost impossibe to justify to have more than two cars in a household and the reason I don't have a truck is because of the gas prices. For now I'm stuck with a station wagon and a trailer. But I dislike throwing the MTB in the trunk of my car. I get the point where you can't leave stuff on the bed, but around most parts of where I'm from you can't leave stuff in a locked van either. I know plenty of people who's had their cars emptied, day and night time.
newmann
5/6/2015 3:23pm
philG wrote:

Van all day long.
The reason I have a truck, is not only for my bikes, but for yard work and stuff. I hauled some bricks and landscape timbers home...
The reason I have a truck, is not only for my bikes, but for yard work and stuff. I hauled some bricks and landscape timbers home from the home depot just yesterday. I can't live without a truck.
The shit I haul in the bed of my truck.....where do I start. Couldn't live without a truck. And not some piece of crap 5 foot bed either. If I were King, there would be a 7 foot bed option on all trucks.Smile
Titan1
5/6/2015 3:36pm
There is a Ford dealership around the corner from my office, I stopped by there the other day thinking I might surprise my wife (and by "my wife" I mean "me" and by "surprise", I mean piss her off...she wants a new house, not a new truck lol) with a brand new F150. I haven't been on a new car lot in probably 10 years (new has never been my thing...I'm to cheap)...last I looked, fully loaded trucks were in the $30K-$40K range.

Imagine my surprise when the salesman shows me a 2015 FX4 Platinum F150 for $60K!!!!! Then He shows me some of the Diesels (a 5th wheel camper is in my near future, so I wanted to see the diesels) and the fully loaded diesels are $75K!

Now I take notice of how often I see these trucks on the road, and I swear people are stupid...99% of them are financing these trucks, for the maximum number of years, and are paying probably paying $800, $900, $1000/month on these things.

No thanks! I'm seeing 2013 and even some 2014 F-150's with less than 30K miles on them for the $30K range...with that being the case, I don't understand why anyone would pay for a brand new truck?
Titan1
5/6/2015 3:37pm
philG wrote:

Van all day long.
The reason I have a truck, is not only for my bikes, but for yard work and stuff. I hauled some bricks and landscape timbers home...
newmann wrote:
The shit I haul in the bed of my truck.....where do I start. Couldn't live without a truck. And not some piece of crap 5 foot...
The shit I haul in the bed of my truck.....where do I start. Couldn't live without a truck. And not some piece of crap 5 foot bed either. If I were King, there would be a 7 foot bed option on all trucks.Smile
Yup...can't haul full sheets of plywood or sheet rock in the back of a van. Don't want to haul a bunch of gravel or dirt in the back of a van.

Trucks are WAY more practical than Vans are.
mattmatt300
5/6/2015 4:55pm
I'll probably be buying a truck tomorrow. Looking to get out of diesel and back into a gasser. The Sierra I looked at today stikered at $49,000 but they're down to $40,000 on it and giving good money for my trade. I was looking to buy a cheap truck and pay cash but I'm better off having a big payment and getting the write off.
kawboy388
5/6/2015 5:30pm
If you aren't getting at least 10,000 knocked off,you are getting reemed. I got 11k off my Ram 3500 Dually,my buddy got 12k
off his Ram 3500 srw,and the neighbor down the road got 15,500 off his F-350 dually.
rucka356
5/6/2015 6:40pm
I had a 2010 lariat cre cab 4x4 I bought new in June of 2010. By then the 2011 models were coming out so they had big rebates. I see it all the time where they advertise $10-$12k off. Mine had a sticker price of about $44k and ended up getting it for about $31k. I've always liked fords, just something about them. I've had 3 f150s and now have a fusion and expedition el.
woodsrider427
5/6/2015 6:44pm
I paid $54k cash out-the-door for my 2014 F-250, they knocked $10k off the sticker price. I do fairly well with my business (I'm a contractor) and otherwise i am very conservative. I basically live in my truck all week and I wanted something nice this time around. I set aside some money every month to get a new truck every 5 or so years.
5/6/2015 7:36pm
I paid about half that for my 2011 Nissan 4x4 long bed Frontier- new. It's just a Nissan but I can't afford American.
I put 277,000 miles on my last Frontier I bought new in 1999, that I drove for 12 years. Total repairs were oil change, tires, alternator and a clutch.and brakes.

I looked up the distance from the Earth to the moon and its closest point and it was like 239,000 miles.
5/6/2015 7:42pm
Even the gas trucks last 300k+ miles these days. No reason to buy a new truck unless you just want one. Let someone else take the hit

Post a reply to: 50k $$ for a pick'em up truck. Who has done it?

The Latest