Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

8/1/2022 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2022 7:50 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

I wouldn't call it sideways going from the 4th best team to the 9th but he will be getting paid big time to do it and will be ...more

Aren’t the Aston Martin cars widely considered the worst in the paddock? Is this a good driver going to a bad team? Maybe it’s time for Stroll, Sr to step out to be replaced by Michael Andretti as a F1 team owner. The results couldn’t be any worse.

|

8/1/2022 9:21 PM

Photo
|

8/1/2022 9:53 PM

1911 wrote: Photo
laughing laughing laughing Fuck, that's a good one.
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/2/2022 5:23 AM

The Alonso move is way interesting.

I've been kind of pulling for that team & Stroll Jr. to have a decent season, or at least a decent race. I really liked Seb in the past, and rooting for hometown talent & all that. (Same country is almost the same as home town, F1- wise). But not exactly a Seb fan anymore, and you can only get behind the hometown aspect for so long with constant crappy results. Maybe next year? But effort needs to be there. I can't tell if there is a lack of that, or it's all in the equipment. Haven't had the time so far this summer to follow as much as I'd like.

|

HAF

8/2/2022 11:14 AM

Alpine has announced Piastri will be promoted to the race seat.
But now piastri has taken to Twitter to say that is incorrect and he will not be driving for Alpine next year.

Sounds messy

|

8/2/2022 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2022 2:27 PM

MO 23 wrote:

But now piastri has taken to Twitter to say that is incorrect ...more

Yep, he says Mclaren and him have a deal so that would mean Riccarido is out if Piastri go's to Mclaren.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpine-says-piastri-cant-leave-for-mclaren/10347658/

|

8/2/2022 3:35 PM

Sounds like maybe the Ferrari race strategy team is moonlighting as the Alpine PR Dept.

Sounds similar to the Alex Palou in Indycar mess.

|

8/2/2022 3:51 PM

MO 23 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

Yep, he says Mclaren and him have a deal so that would mean Riccarido is out if Piastri go's to Mclaren.

...more

This is interesting based on him coming out and dispelling a rumor. Clearly he fees McLaren is the better team, but can’t help but wonder if DR would really be done

|

8/2/2022 4:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2022 9:46 PM

MO 23 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

...more

Zycki11 wrote:

This is interesting based on him coming out and dispelling a rumor. Clearly he fees McLaren is the better team, but can’t help ...more

DR would find another seat but Norris is the future as would be Piastri. Riccarido has had his chances and not preformed so he would be givin the boot. Too early to say if Oscar is really NOT going to Alpine but after they were going to loan him out to Williams for a season His manager who is Mark Webber got him a deal with McLaren, cant say that I blame him as no one wants to waste any time at Williams. This one is going to get messy I think. Riccarido also says He is the only one who can remove him from his seat because its in his contract but I guess Brown thinks otherwise, depending on what you read and believe because there is so much gossip and BS its makes motocross rumors and gossip look tame

|

8/2/2022 5:26 PM

It’s a shame and I understand it. I love Williams because I want to see them claw back up the field like before

|

8/2/2022 5:27 PM

Lewis Hamilton is part of the Denver Broncos new ownership group. Does he know its Football and not Soccer laughing

|

8/2/2022 6:02 PM

Well at the least we know that "Alpeen's" PR department is not good.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

8/2/2022 6:49 PM

I just read that Horner said there were talks of bringing Vettel back to Red Bull before signing Perez.

Now I'm left wondering what if Vettel had signed with them.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/3/2022 2:17 PM

ANALYSIS: What's going on with Alpine and Oscar Piastri – and what happens next?
Lawrence_Barretto.png
F1 Correspondent & Presenter

Lawrence Barretto

11 hours ago

ALPINE DRIVER MARKET
Piastri post Hungary.jpg
LATEST
NEWS

Tuesday 2 August 2022 will go down as one of the more extraordinary news days in Formula 1’s recent history, as Alpine announced Oscar Piastri would make his debut with the team for 2023, only for the Australian to respond saying that would not be the case. So what on Earth is going on?

How did we get here?
After Sebastian Vettel put F1’s silly season back in motion on Thursday by announcing his retirement, his fellow world champion Fernando Alonso smashed it into overdrive when he did a deal with billionaire Lawrence Stroll on Saturday night in Hungary to join Aston Martin for 2023.

It caught Alpine off-guard. They were hopeful the Spaniard would stay on for a third season but they were not prepared to offer him a straight two-year deal. The best was a one-year with an option. Alonso wanted more stability, as he believed he deserved it, so he took the Aston Martin deal.

READ MORE: Alpine boss Szafnauer says Aston Martin press release was 'first confirmation' he had of Alonso's shock switch

The first Alpine Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer heard of it was when he saw the Aston Martin press release on Monday announcing the Spaniard on a multi-year deal. This left Alpine with an empty seat alongside Esteban Ocon, who is contracted until the end of 2024, for next season.

Piastri is a sought after talent - which seems to be causing problems
Why did Alpine announce Piastri?
The way the Alonso news played out was irritating for Alpine. They had, after all, offered the double world champion a route back into the sport at the start of 2021 with a multi-year deal that would see him enjoy a third stint at the Enstone operation and felt he was keen to continue the partnership.

But in one way, his departure made life easier for the French manufacturer. They were trying to juggle keeping Alonso for a little longer while making sure they brought their highly-rated reserve Oscar Piastri into a race seat at the right time. They wanted to give last season’s F2 champion Piastri a year elsewhere on the grid in 2023, before drafting him in for 2024. That had proved tricky, and meant this whole saga has dragged out longer than hoped – which has proved annoying for both Alonso and Piastri.

ANALYSIS: Why Alonso accepted Aston Martin’s advances and signed a shock deal – and why it could be a perfect match

With Alonso departing, Alpine moved to plan B – promote Piastri a year earlier than planned. However, there was a problem. The Australian, it is believed, has an option elsewhere on the grid and is keener to take that up, rather than join Alpine.

Alpine believe Piastri, who they have given financial support and an extensive private test programme to prepare him for his F1 debut, is their driver – and thus announced him in a press release on Tuesday afternoon.

Play Video
Oscar Piastri's best moments so far
However, they did so without a quote from Piastri. This is not the done thing with driver announcements. Typically, there will be a quote from the Team Principal and the driver, plus potentially the team owner.

A few hours later, Piastri said Alpine released the announcement “without my agreement” and that he would “not be driving for Alpine” next year. It was bombshell stuff.

READ MORE: Oscar Piastri insists ‘I will not be driving for Alpine next year’ after team announce him as Alonso’s replacement

So what happens next?
There’s no easy answer to this. It is ultimately up to Alpine and Piastri, who is managed by former Red Bull driver Mark Webber, to sort it out between them or head to the FIA’s contract recognition board, which deals with such disputes.

One scenario is he stays with Alpine and the French team will have one of the most exciting drivers to have come out of junior formulae since Lando Norris, George Russell and Alex Albon were promoted – but they will have to repair a relationship that has started off on a sour note.

Another scenario is not to continue together. Alpine will need to revert to their shortlist of potential drivers while Piastri pursues an alternative pathway, which is believed to be with McLaren, with the exact role to be determined.

|

8/3/2022 2:54 PM

All the political Intrigue aside as I heard it Alonso isn't getting any younger and after a couple of seasons he did not believe that Alpine had the dedication, money and resources to commit to the team to become better than just a midpacker. You can say he followed the money but he's also a winner and he wants to win. Aston Martin gives him that chance.

|

8/3/2022 4:23 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

All the political Intrigue aside as I heard it Alonso isn't getting any younger and after a couple of seasons he did not ...more

Alipe is kicking Aston's ass every weekend.
Stroll just paid him to get away from Ocon.

|

8/3/2022 4:25 PM

Otmar has been doing weird shit since the Button days...no surprise he bricked this one too.

|

8/3/2022 4:49 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I believe there will be big changes with the 2023 package.

|

8/3/2022 5:23 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

All the political Intrigue aside as I heard it Alonso isn't getting any younger and after a couple of seasons he did not ...more

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

BMSOBx2 wrote:

Perhaps, but you and I both know why Fred chose Aston.

|

8/3/2022 5:36 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

BMSOBx2 wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Perhaps, but you and I both know why Fred chose Aston.

Money?cool

|

8/3/2022 5:52 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

Then Alonso went the wrong direction as Aston Martin is at the back racing with Williams and not even close to being a threat to win. The gossip is that Old man Stroll is such a micro manger and thinks he knows more than the engineers and race team so they have been going backwards. Alonso must have just took the money because the car and team are at the back of the grid.

|

8/3/2022 6:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2022 6:56 PM

I think it’s understandable why Alonso went to AM.
Whilst they have a shit car this year, they gave Alonso a multi year deal. alpine were only willing to give him a 1 year deal.
And despite this years car being garbage AM does have a lot of funding now, they are building a new facility, a world class 60% wind tunnel, and have funding to spend at the cap.

It’s no guarantee for success, but the appeal is also understandable. Time will tell if it was a good or bad move for Alonso

|

8/3/2022 9:38 PM

MO 23 wrote:

Whilst they have a shit car this year, they gave Alonso a multi year deal. ...more

I think the team will be the big benefactors because of his experience and he is kind of like Niki Lauda was that he could make a car better and just not be a driver so I am sure Aston Martin is excited to have Alonzo on board.

|

8/3/2022 10:11 PM

MO 23 wrote:

Whilst they have a shit car this year, they gave Alonso a multi year deal. ...more

It must have been a straight compensation difference for Alonso. Their cars are always the worst performing, right? With F1’s rapid expansion in popularity that’s the first team that should be replaced with a better one.

|

8/4/2022 12:02 PM

Riccarido starting to worry

RICCIARDO STARES AT UNCERTAIN FUTURE AMID PIASTRI-ALPINE DRAMA
Reuters 4 August, 2022 9 Comments
Ricciardo stares at a uncertain future amid Piastri-Alpine drama
Australians have the starring roles in Formula 1‘s summer drama – retired racer Mark Webber as a behind-the-scenes fixer for rising star Oscar Piastri while fan favourite Daniel Ricciardo stares at an uncertain future.
Ricciardo is doing his best to smile in the face of adversity at McLaren but Webber and Piastri are making it difficult.

Webber represents Piastri, the reserve driver for Renault-owned Alpine and 2021 Formula 2 Champion, who caused a commotion this week when he rejected the French team’s attempt to put him in a race seat for 2023.

Piastri did not say why he would not race for Alpine, a snub that looks ungrateful given how much the team have invested in him, but it is increasingly clear the 21-year-old is bound for McLaren.

That is more than awkward for Ricciardo, because it can only be the 33-year-old’s seat that his compatriot would take alongside Britain’s Lando Norris.

Will Ricciardo accept a pay-off?
Ricciardo, who has failed to meet expectations at the Woking team despite winning last year’s Italian Grand Prix, said last month he was committed to McLaren and would not be walking away. More importantly, he has a contract to the end of 2023.

Three drivers into two seats means something has to give, if the contracts are watertight, and in Formula 1 that usually means money changing hands.

The case of Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2009 is a case in point, a story that also involves the man who kicked off the current contract confusion – double World Champion Fernando Alonso.

There was speculation through 2009 that Alonso was replacing Raikkonen at Ferrari even though the Finn had a contract until the end of 2010, as did Brazilian teammate Felipe Massa.

In the end Raikkonen accepted a payoff, reported to be around $25-Million, not to race in 2010 with Alonso stepping into his seat.

“In F1 there is always a lot of money and there can always be different options. That’s what happened in the end. It’s nothing to do with racing or what I do in the team,” Raikkonen reflected later.

The Honey Badger can still remain in F1 of McLaren oust him
The 2007 Champion dabbled with other series for a while before returning but Ricciardo, if he loses out and is paid off, may not have to look far.

It could be that the winner of eight grands prix ultimately returns to Alpine, the former Renault team he left for McLaren at the end of 2020, as a replacement for two-time World Champion Alonso.

That would take an element of forgiveness on Renault’s part, after his earlier exit, but Alonso – who announced on Monday his departure for Aston Martin at the end of the season – and Piastri have left them in a bind.

It could even be that matters do not go as far as the contract recognition board and an agreement is reached between teams.

Alonso left and returned to Renault more than once and each time was welcomed back because they knew, from experience, how fast he was.
|

8/4/2022 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2022 1:51 PM

MO 23 wrote:

Nighttrain wrote:

It must have been a straight compensation difference for Alonso. Their cars are always the worst performing, right? With F1’s ...more

“Their cars are always the worst performing”? That’s news to me. Only 2 years ago they finished 4th in the constructors, only a handful of points off 3rd.
The team has a long history of doing a great job with limited resources.

They won’t simply be “replaced” that’s not how it works in f1. They own that franchise spot, so if they were to leave it would be because they sold the team.
One or two other teams have been known to speaking to potential buyers, namely Haas and Sauber/Alfa Romeo. But not AM.

Old man Stroll has very publicly discussed his belief that with the cost cap, teams will start to become very profitable and very valuable in future years. Plus with his obvious desire to support his kid, he ain’t selling up any time soon.

I am not saying AM are going to be winning any championships any time soon, but neither are Alpine.
AM are known for being a “little” team that’s overachieved, whilst renault/alpine in the modern era are known as being a manufacturer team that has underachieved.

Regardless, I think it’s obvious why Alonso signed, good money for multiple years in a solid midfield team. Alpine was only offering him a single year in a midfield team. If he has the desire to keep going, I can’t fault his choice.

|

8/4/2022 1:56 PM

MO 23 wrote:

Nighttrain wrote:

It must have been a straight compensation difference for Alonso. Their cars are always the worst performing, right? With F1’s ...more

MO 23 wrote:

“Their cars are always the worst performing”? That’s news to me. Only 2 years ago they finished 4th in the constructors, only ...more

Renault used to be s super hero maker.
Look at Michael Schumacher.

He was killing it in the Renault.

|

8/4/2022 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2022 2:50 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Renault used to be s super hero maker.
Look at Michael Schumacher.

He was killing it in the Renault.

True, but they are no longer anywhere near that level, they haven’t been contenders for nearly 20 years, since they returned to F1, they never showed the real desire to win, because they never got close to the spending of the big 3

Now don’t get me wrong, I think Alpine are a better team than AM. But I understand Alonso’s move. And think AM have a lot of potential to significantly improve, and whilst they are rebuilding at the moment, let’s not forget they won a race a touch over 18 months ago

|

8/4/2022 2:23 PM

Nighttrain wrote:

So I guess you don't follow F1 at all by your post as Alpine even knocked off a win not too long ago, Move along and let the adults have our F1 discussion. wink . cool

|