2021 MotoGP Season

indy_maico
6/28/2021 11:11am
On the MotoGP stream I heard someone mention that SRT may be looking at Joe Roberts because Dorna is pushing to get an American back into the ranks to gin up more US interest.

Roberts on a Yamaha? I know he is no relation, (and he is no King Kenny for sure!) but it just sounds right, doesn't it?
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
6/28/2021 12:49pm
skeef wrote:
Vinales was a waste of yamahas time. Neither fault to either, but he is a cry baby and clearly can't set up the bike. I don't...
Vinales was a waste of yamahas time. Neither fault to either, but he is a cry baby and clearly can't set up the bike. I don't care where he goes he is only going to go downhill. He has that smooth jorje style of riding that really only meshes with suzuki.

I am no marc fan but the way his bike snapped on him in that FP2 crash was not good. Honda really needs to figure it out and start from the gound up. Poor Pol, he is such a talent and it's being wasted on that honda.

Did I hear them say at sachs that Joe Roberts is linked to a GP ride?
His podium pout session was enough for me to be very happy to see him leave the Yamaha garage. Massive pissbaby vibes pouting about a 2nd place finish
indy_maico
6/28/2021 2:01pm
The English vs Italian rivalry goes back to the FISA-FOCA war in F1

Well, it probably came to a head then. And has kept simmering ever since!

jgmxdad251
6/28/2021 4:11pm
It would be super surprising if an American was in MotoGP next year. If Joe had had a better half of a season, he might have been signed already(I’m a huge Joe fan).

The Shop

jgmxdad251
6/28/2021 4:13pm
Jabroni, I thought Rossi said an all Italian team. How does Vinales fit there?
6/28/2021 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 5:53pm
I work in a motorsport company in Japan...

whoever said that vinales can't set-up a bike isn't correct... Quartararo used Vinales's exact settings during the race at Assen (he actually used them better, because Mav's can't start for poop and isn't the best overtaker in the game)
If you said Vinales can't develop a bike, then you'd be correct... I don't think Rossi was too flash at it either (Jorge was the development guy)

Suzuki have been trying to get a second team going for ages... they just have enough staff for the current team... and i don't see management increasing the budget anytime soon. (shit, it was the 100 year anniversary of Suzuki last year and they won the world championship, and sent all the promo gear to the 4 wheel dealers first and then eventually sent stuff to the two wheel dealers... )

Honda is Honda's worse enemy... i don't think it is the ultra corporate attitude... but their elitist attitude that holds them back (they can be a nightmare to work with)... they have no development direction this year and i think they finally realized that

skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/29/2021 10:34am
How sure is it that morbo goes to factory?
6/29/2021 7:35pm
I don't doubt Quat's is good at setting his bike up... he is a talent for sure.. he'd probably kick butt on some of the other bikes too
I was just correcting someone who stated that Mav's can't set-up his bike... he can (most times) but he fudges himself over → mentally he is in a bad place which contributes to not being able to use his set-up effectively.... this (i assume) leads him to farting around or getting stuck in the pack... (I agree that he is a drama Queen, and i don't think he likes being treated as the number two rider)...

I can't say first hand how Quat's and Mav's relationship in the box is (it mustn't be good), as Ive never been it whilst they have both been on the factory team
(being in the box when Rossi & Lorenzo were there at the same time was not fun... the only saving grace was Rossi's mechanics)

Chasing tails is what is going on at Honda... everyone was using different components and the whole project was lacking directing... it wasn't until last weekend that they finally decided to go in one direction (thanks to Mark winning the week before)
They have some things in the works to improve the bike stability over the break, so we will see how that goes.
6/29/2021 9:24pm
To be fair to Mavs and Rossi, the YH bike had lots of problems from halfway through the 2016 season onwards...
one of these problems (its a major one) will hopefully be addressed over this winter break because it is still there (need a complete re-design of a certain component on the bike)... Yamaha actually apologized to my Boss earlier this year about one of the issues (in 2016 Yamaha blamed us for something that was clearly a YH problem , and they finally owned up to it)

Zarco really got his shit together at Ducati
(Sure the KTM was not great whilst he was on it he should have at least stuck out the year)
Agreed that Mav's will need to do the same thing and keep the Drama Queening to a minimum when he goes to Aprilia

Who is going to get Mav's seat is the big question
I hope its Frankie, but maybe they will entice Fernandez to come over...
Dorna/FIM want an American rider too...
indy_maico
6/30/2021 8:10am
This is in today's 'Motorcycle News'
McPint pulls no punches!

skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/30/2021 10:09am
With the way Zarco has been looking I could only imagine he would perform really well on the Yamaha. He has great speed right now. I like Dovi but he was un-willing to change his style and lean the bike over. I think he would be a waste at Aprilia even compared to Mav.

Also peanut thanks for correcting me. I obviously only have info like most casual fans.
indy_maico
6/30/2021 10:25am
skeef wrote:
With the way Zarco has been looking I could only imagine he would perform really well on the Yamaha. He has great speed right now. I...
With the way Zarco has been looking I could only imagine he would perform really well on the Yamaha. He has great speed right now. I like Dovi but he was un-willing to change his style and lean the bike over. I think he would be a waste at Aprilia even compared to Mav.

Also peanut thanks for correcting me. I obviously only have info like most casual fans.
Zarco WAS good on the Tech 3 Yamaha a few years ago.

His move to KTM was nearly a career-ender, but he got a 2nd lease on life on the Ducati.

I doubt if Yamaha would bring him back into the fold, though.
G-man
6/30/2021 10:45am
Yea he was really fast on the Yami and I was shocked when he went to KTM but the lure of the BIG contract was too much to turn down I'm sure.

The helmet graphics he had on the Yami was pretty cool imo....

But yes I was surprised he did so well on the Duck after his disaster on the KTM.

Guess certain riders just gel with certain bikes. Pol and Petruchi are examples.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 11:07am
Was it the counter balance shaft? I seem to remember they were blaming the crankshaft/flywheel for the past couple years?
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/30/2021 1:30pm
Quarto said that he told Yamaha he has an idea to make the M1 faster in straights but didn't say what. Said it is "a big thing to change" With double races at the Ring, then all very fast tracks from here on out it will be interesting to see what he can make happen. I hate to see those M1's get swallowed up on the straights just to destroy tires in the corners to pass them back. Could you imagine if the M1 had a similar straight speed? I guess it goes hand in hand with sacrificing the straights to have a faster cornering bike.

I just would hate to see him lose his confidence similar to last year after a couple bad races. I guess they aren't blowing bikes up this year but still. But wasn't he something like 20k/m slower on the straight at Mugello?
indy_maico
6/30/2021 1:52pm
skeef wrote:
Quarto said that he told Yamaha he has an idea to make the M1 faster in straights but didn't say what. Said it is "a big...
Quarto said that he told Yamaha he has an idea to make the M1 faster in straights but didn't say what. Said it is "a big thing to change" With double races at the Ring, then all very fast tracks from here on out it will be interesting to see what he can make happen. I hate to see those M1's get swallowed up on the straights just to destroy tires in the corners to pass them back. Could you imagine if the M1 had a similar straight speed? I guess it goes hand in hand with sacrificing the straights to have a faster cornering bike.

I just would hate to see him lose his confidence similar to last year after a couple bad races. I guess they aren't blowing bikes up this year but still. But wasn't he something like 20k/m slower on the straight at Mugello?

6/30/2021 1:58pm
No probs skeef even my info is limited as the engineers are more tight lipped than ever these days
From what I heard about YH engine is they are at the limit of what they can get out of it without blowing it up
The counter balance shaft may have issues but they didn’t say directly (there is an electronics gremlin that they bandaided but it needs to be properly addressed)

I’ll ask about the counter balance shaft but I doubt they will let any info out

Zarco would do well on the sz too
He was extremely fast on the bike when he tested it at Motegi
(I think his style suits the inline four better than the V)

skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/30/2021 2:20pm
No probs skeef even my info is limited as the engineers are more tight lipped than ever these days From what I heard about YH engine...
No probs skeef even my info is limited as the engineers are more tight lipped than ever these days
From what I heard about YH engine is they are at the limit of what they can get out of it without blowing it up
The counter balance shaft may have issues but they didn’t say directly (there is an electronics gremlin that they bandaided but it needs to be properly addressed)

I’ll ask about the counter balance shaft but I doubt they will let any info out

Zarco would do well on the sz too
He was extremely fast on the bike when he tested it at Motegi
(I think his style suits the inline four better than the V)

So why exactly will Yamaha not develop a V4?

Is that tech going to go out the window and they don't waste time on developing one when I assume they all will go to a hybrid engine of sorts in the near future?
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 2:29pm
skeef wrote:
So why exactly will Yamaha not develop a V4? Is that tech going to go out the window and they don't waste time on developing one...
So why exactly will Yamaha not develop a V4?

Is that tech going to go out the window and they don't waste time on developing one when I assume they all will go to a hybrid engine of sorts in the near future?
Has yamaha ever built a v4 engine for anything? I can't recall one. I might be wrong but the M1 seems like maybe the bike thats closest to its original 4 stroke ancestor.
6/30/2021 3:41pm
They don’t have a v4 in their line up so there is no point developing one (MotoGP development is supposed to feedback into the mass production bikes)
The RZV500R is a v4 race replica other than that I’m not sure
If there is was a four stroke v4 Yamaha… might have to google it later

I wonder if the fim Dorna will go ahead with hybrid engines to meet their carbon neutral target
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/30/2021 3:50pm
They don’t have a v4 in their line up so there is no point developing one (MotoGP development is supposed to feedback into the mass production...
They don’t have a v4 in their line up so there is no point developing one (MotoGP development is supposed to feedback into the mass production bikes)

I wonder if the fim Dorna will go ahead with hybrid engines to meet their carbon neutral target
The Japanese brands don't really produce V4 bikes anymore? I know Honda has had a V4 for decades. Yamaha has the Vmax which has a V4 right?
6/30/2021 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 5:42pm
They don’t have a v4 in their line up so there is no point developing one (MotoGP development is supposed to feedback into the mass production...

skeef wrote:
The Japanese brands don't really produce V4 bikes anymore? I know Honda has had a V4 for decades. Yamaha has the Vmax which has a V4...
The Japanese brands don't really produce V4 bikes anymore? I know Honda has had a V4 for decades. Yamaha has the Vmax which has a V4 right?
There were rumors in 2017/2018 that Honda were going to make a new RVF1000 to replace the CBR but it never eventuated
(I'm pretty the project was squashed by the Sales section... as that is always the case)

Edit: Honda still make the VFR800 F which is a V4... that is probably the only one
https://www.honda.co.jp/VFR800F/

early
Fantasy
2231st
7/1/2021 7:40am
After the 800 and CRT fiascos i hope Dorna doesnt change the MotoGP class for a long time.

I like watching the MotoE class, the racing is always great in it, and i think the whine of the bikes sounds cool at least on tv, they sound like TIE fighters. I dont mind that its a spec bike series. They ran a 3 bike electric exhibition race at Indy in 2013. The bikes had very different capabilities which ended up in about a minute seperation between them in a 4 lap race, not ideal. I wouldnt be surprised or upset if Moto2 went electric with a spec battery, motor and controller, so you could keep the chassis builders that built their reputations there.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/1/2021 10:37am
Do you find the current spec engine Moto2 class interesting?
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/1/2021 11:58am
I never found Moto2 interesting since they went away from 250 smokers except for when Marquez was in the class. I wouldnt care much now except i want to see how Roberts and Beaubier are doing.

I could see a production based 500 or 750 twins (same engine family as AFT) class replace it. Or a 450 single class.

I could see an electric class going to a spec motor or and approved set of motors and then giving a spec max volume for energy storage and the rest is up to the builder. This could open it up to a variety of batteries like Li or Al-air, and leave motor control software and hardware open.
indy_maico
7/1/2021 12:34pm
early wrote:
I never found Moto2 interesting since they went away from 250 smokers except for when Marquez was in the class. I wouldnt care much now except...
I never found Moto2 interesting since they went away from 250 smokers except for when Marquez was in the class. I wouldnt care much now except i want to see how Roberts and Beaubier are doing.

I could see a production based 500 or 750 twins (same engine family as AFT) class replace it. Or a 450 single class.

I could see an electric class going to a spec motor or and approved set of motors and then giving a spec max volume for energy storage and the rest is up to the builder. This could open it up to a variety of batteries like Li or Al-air, and leave motor control software and hardware open.
I hated the 600 Honda era of Moto2, and I think the Triumph triple is a big improvement.

I just wish there was a bigger variety of chassis manufacturers.

If they went to a 750 twin or 450 single formula I would never watch it. Is there any engine that sounds worse than a 4-stroke single or twin?

And if the point of Moto2 is a stepping stone to MotoGP, then it would be going the wrong way performance-wise.

7/6/2021 12:30am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2021 1:24am
Is it tyranny if the vast majority of Australian's support keeping the borders closed until our vaccination levels are up?
There are plenty of things people dont like about this, but most Australians want the borders kept closed until vaccinations are sorted, therefore I would argue its a democratically elected government carrying out the wishes of the people. not tyranny.
You guys also closed borders. was that tyrannical?

We have fucked up the vaccinations though. although there has not been much pressure given we have had zero community transmission up until recently.
There are a lot of things people have been unhappy with
But limiting international arrivals has been almost unanimously supported.

Outside of the Motorsport world, the race going ahead would have been very unpopular amongst the general population.
We had the Australian Open Tennis here earlier in the year and a couple of cases transferred out of quarantine which had impacts on businesses etc. a lot of people were not happy.
indy_maico
7/6/2021 6:52am
Read today that Yamaha offered Oliveira the Vinales seat for 2022 but turned them down as he has another year left on his KTM contract and didn't want to rock that boat.
If this is true, it is a real slap in the face to Morbidelli.

Post a reply to: 2021 MotoGP Season

The Latest