2021 MotoGP Season

6/7/2021 5:22am
Today was weird. Quatararo gets a penalty for going off track, then post-race gets a penalty for riding with an open chest after tossing his chest...
Today was weird. Quatararo gets a penalty for going off track, then post-race gets a penalty for riding with an open chest after tossing his chest pro. It seems to me it should have been an automatic black flag.

Good for KTM and Olivera!!
It should’ve been a black or DQ after the race. I put this to you. If he had started the race with his leathers open, he would’ve been told zip em up or off the grid. He got lucky there.
Nystrom
6/7/2021 6:29am
I tell you what. I sure love MotoGP. Best racing ever. When the race is on Sunday morning I get my coffee and get fired up...
I tell you what. I sure love MotoGP. Best racing ever. When the race is on Sunday morning I get my coffee and get fired up to watch. Serious business lmao

You guys think MM93 will win again? Cast your mind back to sepang 2019. When Marc high sided himself to the moon following FQ20. IMO something changed that day.

The new class of riders are very fast. Fabio, Jack, Zarco, and now Oliviara. If anything it will be Interesting to watch how MM93 goes out.
It will be interesting just the next race to see since he's 10 for 10 in Sachsenring. He looked so fast in France, unfortunately it was to fast causing the crash.
JPT
6/8/2021 12:26pm
That was weird. Glad he didn't go down like that.

Anyone sure about at what point it goes from getting a warning for exceeding track limits and getting a penalty? Roberts got docked for a one time deal of about a foot.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/8/2021 1:36pm
JPT wrote:
That was weird. Glad he didn't go down like that. Anyone sure about at what point it goes from getting a warning for exceeding track limits...

Anyone sure about at what point it goes from getting a warning for exceeding track limits and getting a penalty? Roberts got docked for a one time deal of about a foot.
I don't know for sure but it seems they are more strict with the motogp class than the other classes, but didn't a moto 2 rider get docked for exceeding limits on the last lap at Lemans?

I wouldn't count Marquez out even though his return has been quite disappointing.

The Shop

skeef
Fantasy
1421st
6/8/2021 1:47pm
So was it his chest plate that was giving him problems? He must of known they were gonna dock him for that. I guess it's better than bleeding nipples.
6/9/2021 8:08am
JPT wrote:
That was weird. Glad he didn't go down like that. Anyone sure about at what point it goes from getting a warning for exceeding track limits...

early wrote:
I don't know for sure but it seems they are more strict with the motogp class than the other classes, but didn't a moto 2 rider...
I don't know for sure but it seems they are more strict with the motogp class than the other classes, but didn't a moto 2 rider get docked for exceeding limits on the last lap at Lemans?

I wouldn't count Marquez out even though his return has been quite disappointing.
Last year 3 moto3 guys got docked positions for exceeding track limits so the 6th rider got 3rd and got on the podium.

I think they mainly look at track limits when they are in a battle and it makes a difference.
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1816th
6/9/2021 10:32am
I tell you what. I sure love MotoGP. Best racing ever. When the race is on Sunday morning I get my coffee and get fired up...
I tell you what. I sure love MotoGP. Best racing ever. When the race is on Sunday morning I get my coffee and get fired up to watch. Serious business lmao

You guys think MM93 will win again? Cast your mind back to sepang 2019. When Marc high sided himself to the moon following FQ20. IMO something changed that day.

The new class of riders are very fast. Fabio, Jack, Zarco, and now Oliviara. If anything it will be Interesting to watch how MM93 goes out.
I remember that session in Sepang, watching it on my iPad laying in bed and it was super violent for Marc. And avoidable, because all was really trying to do was mess with Fabio by getting in behind him. As bad as it was, I don't think that changed him and we only have to look at the 2020 opener in Jerez where he ran off track, sliced back through to 2nd and then had the big one. I think if Sepang was still in his head he could not have performed like that at Jerez.

I think Marquez can win again, he showed signs last weekend. His return to action was likely too premature, it's clear he's still building strength in his arm and having to adapt his style. I think both he and Honda thought he could return and score a few points, then lock in and go on a run and potentially challenge for the title even with no scores in Qatar.

Honda has to sort out the bike though. It's clear that only pre-crash Marc had the ability to make it work. Pol is on suicide-watch after seeing Oliveira the past 2 weeks, A Marquez cannot stay upright for more than 10 minutes if he pushes, and Nakagami has regressed from the speed he showed in 2020.

Those guys are all gladiators, and the margins they perform on are incredibly small. I have massive respect.
JPT
6/9/2021 3:54pm
JPT wrote:

early wrote:
I don't know for sure but it seems they are more strict with the motogp class than the other classes, but didn't a moto 2 rider...

Last year 3 moto3 guys got docked positions for exceeding track limits so the 6th rider got 3rd and got on the podium. I think they...
Last year 3 moto3 guys got docked positions for exceeding track limits so the 6th rider got 3rd and got on the podium.

I think they mainly look at track limits when they are in a battle and it makes a difference.
I know you occasionally see on tv where they get a txt warning them about exceeding the limits. Maybe you're right if it has an immediate impact on the race. Although it didn't look to me like Roberts gained much if any and he lost his podium.
6/9/2021 5:27pm

I remember that session in Sepang, watching it on my iPad laying in bed and it was super violent for Marc. And avoidable, because all was...
I remember that session in Sepang, watching it on my iPad laying in bed and it was super violent for Marc. And avoidable, because all was really trying to do was mess with Fabio by getting in behind him. As bad as it was, I don't think that changed him and we only have to look at the 2020 opener in Jerez where he ran off track, sliced back through to 2nd and then had the big one. I think if Sepang was still in his head he could not have performed like that at Jerez.

I think Marquez can win again, he showed signs last weekend. His return to action was likely too premature, it's clear he's still building strength in his arm and having to adapt his style. I think both he and Honda thought he could return and score a few points, then lock in and go on a run and potentially challenge for the title even with no scores in Qatar.

Honda has to sort out the bike though. It's clear that only pre-crash Marc had the ability to make it work. Pol is on suicide-watch after seeing Oliveira the past 2 weeks, A Marquez cannot stay upright for more than 10 minutes if he pushes, and Nakagami has regressed from the speed he showed in 2020.

Those guys are all gladiators, and the margins they perform on are incredibly small. I have massive respect.
I think that day in sepang, FQ actually got into Marcs head a bit with his speed. then Fast forward to 2020 and Marc had something to prove in that season opener.. riding at insane speeds and finally couldn’t save it.

Can’t wait to see it all play out in front of our very eyes. Cool
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1816th
6/17/2021 11:38am Edited Date/Time 6/17/2021 11:39am
Sachsenring weekend. Let's see if MM93 can keep his unreal track record here going! 100% guaranteed crash or win on Sunday is my guess.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
6/20/2021 11:14pm
I tip my fedora to Mr. Marc Marquéz. Not a fan personally but he did put a clinic on Sunday. This year will be interesting.
6/20/2021 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2021 11:53pm
A track he loves that happens to be nearly all left turns.

He’s struggling to turn right due to his injury. So it’s likely that today was fools gold.

The bike sucks. But it has for a long while. He’s always been able to ride around the issues.

He’s not riding around the issues anymore.

He’s still not the old version of Marc.

I wonder if we’ll ever see the same Marc again.

The benefit of being a guy that’s gone your whole career having never been injured? Your confidence is thru the roof.

The downside? That first injury is a real head fuck. This situation reminds me of McGrath.

Every GP rider is always 70-80% healthy for most the season. They’re always dealing with one nagging injury or another by the first quarter of the season. The crashes might not cost them races but they do ride hurt A LOT and rarely mention it publicly. It’s part of the race culture.

Marc on the other hand has had a remarkable career in that he’s never hurt. Even a little bit. Despite crashing more than anyone in the paddock. He somehow has perfected the crash. It might be his best kept secret to his success. He’s always 100% and his competition is always less than healthy. It’s a major factor in his dominance.

What you’ve seen this year has been a leveling of the playing field so to speak.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/21/2021 9:22am
Great race by Marc, so cool to see him GO when those rain flags came out.

Worth noting that Marc almost lost his eyesight when he was in Moto2, so I wouldn't say his career has been absent of major injuries.
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1816th
6/21/2021 4:27pm
It might be fool's gold, but it was still pretty amazing to see the 93 pull that one out. I did a full blackout of all social media etc until I was able to watch the race Sunday afternoon. Given how he had looked in FP3/FP4/Q2 I thought maybe a podium was possible but I was definitely not thinking he could win.

Still, that Honda is a turd and until they get the bike sorted out or until Marc is back to mid-2019 form, I expect a lot of Hondas in the gravel traps and not much in terms of results.
Crush
6/21/2021 11:21pm
Even if you think everything fell Marc's way, he still won pretty handily... Hope it doesn't go back to him dominating as the parity has been unreal to watch!
6/21/2021 11:54pm
Here’s something I’ve been chewing on...

Rossi.

He’s posting the fastest lap times of his career. Yet he’s a backmarker. One might think “he just got old” but that would be objectively false. His overall race times from this current season would put him consistently on the podium if they were posted in last years races.

Huh?

What that means is everyone else got faster. And the timesheets show they’ve gotten a LOT faster.

Average overall race time by race winner? Roughly 15 seconds per race compared to last year.

Rossi is going faster than ever. His competition is going 15 seconds per race faster.

To put that in perspective of how significant that is - the average year by year improvement is usually 1 second per race. As in, it took 15 seasons to chop off the previous 15 seconds. Yet between last year and now they matched that same jump in ONE YEAR according to the motoGP statiticians.

Why?

And more importantly, why is Rossi the ONLY front runner that couldnt make the same significant leap?

Here’s my theory...

Due to the scamdemic, motogp put a freeze on engine development this year. They’re all on nearly the same bikes from last year. Very little in the way of new parts to test and certainly much less to learn as the bikes arent a evolution except for some chassis tweaks that are somewhat limited by the engine spec freezes. Riders have never had so much freedom to dial in setup as they are this year. A guy like Zarco would normally be Ducati’s test mule. Now? He gets to try to win races. They get to build on last year’s setups instead of learn what would normally be their new bikes.

This hurts Rossi in one way because one of his greatest attributes is bike development. He can handle loads of test work in a short period of time. He knows how to get a bike right quickly when there are big margins to discover. Now? There isnt much to have to figure out. This works against him and in favor of his much younger competition.

A related factor...
Since Marc and the others got on the scene, the style of racing has changed. These “kids” are all confortable riding on the sharp edge of the limits. With them all on heavily refined machinery, they have to push those limits even farther.

Fine for them. Not for Rossi. He’s never been one to ride on the edge. His style is to make the bike easy to ride via his skills communicating with the engineers. Well the bikes arent being developed this way anymore, especially the Yamaha. The mfgs arent trying to make easy bikes to ride. They’re making the bikes as fast as possible and expecting the rider to adapt & get comfortable on the edge. Basically the Ducati philosophy that only Stoner could handle in the past, has now become the paddock norm thx to Marc (and now Fabio). Ever wonder why Lorenzo fell off a cliff? This is why. He’s just like Rossi in this manner.

Rossi didnt get slow or forget how to ride. The bike style & development curve (or lack thereof) finally passed him by. In combination with the fact that he’s being forced to ride on uncomfortable limits that dont suit his personality. He needs it to be true prototype racing.

If my theory is correct, it has to make you wonder if it’s better to letting riders stay on their bikes an extra year isnt a good thing. 15 seconds is huge. But it comes at the cost of long term development? And maybe can leave a team stuck unable to adapt the bike to the current year tires.

Whatever the case. He didnt forget how to ride.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/22/2021 5:58am
Hey Jabroni,
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I took a look at a small sample and it doesn't really check out.

Race times
Sachsenring
2019: 41:08
2021: 41:07

Lemans
2020: 45:54
2021: 47:25

Catalunya
2020: 40:33
2021: 40:21

Of course its hard to compare one day to the next in roadracing given weather conditions and track temperature, and some 2020 races were held at drastically different times of the year. I wonder how much the tire compound has changed between last year and this year if at all.

If anyone wants to take a closer look at race times you can find them here.
https://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics
6/22/2021 8:41am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2021 8:42am
early wrote:
Hey Jabroni, I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I took a look at a small sample and it doesn't really check out...
Hey Jabroni,
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I took a look at a small sample and it doesn't really check out.

Race times
Sachsenring
2019: 41:08
2021: 41:07

Lemans
2020: 45:54
2021: 47:25

Catalunya
2020: 40:33
2021: 40:21

Of course its hard to compare one day to the next in roadracing given weather conditions and track temperature, and some 2020 races were held at drastically different times of the year. I wonder how much the tire compound has changed between last year and this year if at all.

If anyone wants to take a closer look at race times you can find them here.
https://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics
They did a whole rant on it during the Catalunya motogp broadcast during one of the practices.

I was going off their numbers entirely. I didnt think I’d need to “fact check” lol.

And ya you’re right, it’s disingenuous to compare day to day much less year to year in road racing. But apparently such a trend had developed that people were taking notice.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/22/2021 9:37am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2021 9:40am
They did a whole rant on it during the Catalunya motogp broadcast during one of the practices. I was going off their numbers entirely. I didnt...
They did a whole rant on it during the Catalunya motogp broadcast during one of the practices.

I was going off their numbers entirely. I didnt think I’d need to “fact check” lol.

And ya you’re right, it’s disingenuous to compare day to day much less year to year in road racing. But apparently such a trend had developed that people were taking notice.
Ran the numbers during lunch for the rounds so far. The class is getting faster for a bunch of reasons, I bet aero and refining the bikes to the spec tires are making the most impact. There is alot of variation from year to year.

6/22/2021 9:59am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2021 10:04am
early wrote:
Ran the numbers during lunch for the rounds so far. The class is getting faster for a bunch of reasons, I bet aero and refining the...
Ran the numbers during lunch for the rounds so far. The class is getting faster for a bunch of reasons, I bet aero and refining the bikes to the spec tires are making the most impact. There is alot of variation from year to year.

Yeah my theory as to “why” is just a theory.

Based on how much testing these guys are normally saddled with on race weekends and how little they actually get to work on setup. This is a unique year.

The true test of my theory will be to see how things change next year once new bikes are allowed again (will lap times go back to normal advancements). And if Rossi is once again competitive.

A possible counter argument to my theory? Look at Aprilia. They have the newest bike on the grid. With the most development margins to be had. And now they’re regularly up front. Their bike clearly got more competitive while everyone else’s stayed the same. But the riders all made huge leaps. Except Rossi.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
6/22/2021 1:14pm
Jabroni - Rossi is on the same factory yamaha as Fabio and Mav. Same equipment. If they didn't develop the bikes then why is Fabio doing so well? On one side, yes fabio could be a generational talent and take the reins from Marc. But he isn't destroing tires or the yamaha isn't blowing motors this year. Also they made the nessesary brake upgrade. They made probably the most signifigant steps towards a competive bike over the off-season since maybe the Jorge/rossi days?

My theory is father time is grabbing rossi and he will nicely step into his team owner/ manager role at VR46 SKY Ducati motogp next yearSmile

early
Fantasy
2212th
6/23/2021 5:51am
Just announced, the Austin GP is back the first week of October.

Also Garrett Gerloff will be a replacement rider for Morbidelli at Assen.
G-man
6/23/2021 9:07am
early wrote:
Just announced, the Austin GP is back the first week of October.

Also Garrett Gerloff will be a replacement rider for Morbidelli at Assen.
I just wished they would bring back Laguna Seca, the most Historic track in the States.
Probably not going to happen and that bums me out. Blink

But yes I am happy for Gerloff

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/yamaha-wsbk-rider-gerloff-replac…
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
6/23/2021 10:40am
I agree on bringing back seca, Cota went to shit so fast.. Didn't build on stable ground to the track shifted and has huge cracks. Also because we are americans and need beat the piss out of a GP track the surface is garbage becuase they are running on it all the time. Good thing they are building a new FIM track here in AZ!
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/23/2021 10:50am
Yeah I wish Indy would come back, not the best track but driving distance for me Cool
G-man
6/23/2021 11:18am
skeef wrote:
I agree on bringing back seca, Cota went to shit so fast.. Didn't build on stable ground to the track shifted and has huge cracks. Also...
I agree on bringing back seca, Cota went to shit so fast.. Didn't build on stable ground to the track shifted and has huge cracks. Also because we are americans and need beat the piss out of a GP track the surface is garbage becuase they are running on it all the time. Good thing they are building a new FIM track here in AZ!
"Good thing they are building a new FIM track here in AZ! "

Not good to be DRUNK before noon! Laughing
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
6/23/2021 11:30am
skeef wrote:
I agree on bringing back seca, Cota went to shit so fast.. Didn't build on stable ground to the track shifted and has huge cracks. Also...
G-man wrote:
"Good thing they are building a new FIM track here in AZ! "

Not good to be DRUNK before noon! Laughing
G-man
6/23/2021 12:03pm
Well if you're foolish enough to think MotoGP is gonna show up there I got a bridge I can sell you. Even if it did happen by the time frame they will probably be running E bikes and I will have no interest foo.Laughing

Post a reply to: 2021 MotoGP Season

The Latest