2020 F1 World Championship

DK23
12/7/2020 11:15am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2020 11:16am
DK23 wrote:
I agree with your last statement. Hamilton and Bottas should feel lucky for their wins/championships and bank accounts because Toto must now realize he could've saved...
I agree with your last statement. Hamilton and Bottas should feel lucky for their wins/championships and bank accounts because Toto must now realize he could've saved $100Ms by putting anyone in the car. No disrespect to Russell, but if he can win (and yes he should have won) in his 37th F1 race after never scoring a single point, Mercedes would have won the constructor's championships no matter who the drivers were for the last 7 years.
Sponsors don't want anyone in the car they are sponsoring. They want Hamilton promoting their products. They want to be able to use Hamilton in their...
Sponsors don't want anyone in the car they are sponsoring. They want Hamilton promoting their products. They want to be able to use Hamilton in their own marketing materials. Without Hamilton, sponsors are putting less money into the team. And do you really want one of your competitors to have Hamilton?
That's a good point now after Hamilton's 7 championships, but if he wasn't there, MB would still have the last 6 in my opinion. So maybe the sponsors wouldn't be able to use Hamilton for marketing, but they would have 1-2 champions still (or 3 if you count Nico even though he retired right after).

As for not having Hamilton as a competitor, again in my opinion, unless he was in a Ferrari or RB the last 5 years or RB/RP this year, I don't think he would be a huge threat in any other car.
mx617
12/7/2020 12:28pm
mx617 wrote:
I'd like to see Hamilton parked for the last race to get Russell another shot.
LoudLove wrote:
If Russell pulls off a convincing win, does Mercedes look at moving on from Hamilton? Contracts remain unsigned, and George is the (potential) future, and at...
If Russell pulls off a convincing win, does Mercedes look at moving on from Hamilton? Contracts remain unsigned, and George is the (potential) future, and at a lower price point.
I thought his contract was done?
CM_84
12/7/2020 1:10pm
mx617 wrote:
I'd like to see Hamilton parked for the last race to get Russell another shot.
LoudLove wrote:
If Russell pulls off a convincing win, does Mercedes look at moving on from Hamilton? Contracts remain unsigned, and George is the (potential) future, and at...
If Russell pulls off a convincing win, does Mercedes look at moving on from Hamilton? Contracts remain unsigned, and George is the (potential) future, and at a lower price point.
mx617 wrote:
They said they were going to do it after the season.
I dont think there is really any chance that it doesn't get sorted. Hamilton obviously wants the drive, and MB want Hamilton.
But Russell's performance does give MB some leverage. They can come to the table and say "this is our final offer, no we wont pay the extra $ xM. If you don't sign we have a popular young kid that can get in the car and win.
Without Russell, MB do not have any elite alternative, not a good fact to come to the bargaining table with.
Russell will get Bottas' seat in 22, maybe 1 or 2 years alongside Hamilton, Hamilton retires and Russell will be the No1 driver (assuming he performs to the elite level, which i think he will)
DK23
12/7/2020 1:43pm
LoudLove wrote:
mx617 wrote:
CM_84 wrote:
They said they were going to do it after the season. I dont think there is really any chance that it doesn't get sorted. Hamilton obviously...
I dont think there is really any chance that it doesn't get sorted. Hamilton obviously wants the drive, and MB want Hamilton.
But Russell's performance does give MB some leverage. They can come to the table and say "this is our final offer, no we wont pay the extra $ xM. If you don't sign we have a popular young kid that can get in the car and win.
Without Russell, MB do not have any elite alternative, not a good fact to come to the bargaining table with.
Russell will get Bottas' seat in 22, maybe 1 or 2 years alongside Hamilton, Hamilton retires and Russell will be the No1 driver (assuming he performs to the elite level, which i think he will)
What about Checo? He is already acclimated with the MB engine and brake ducts.

The Shop

Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1568th
12/8/2020 12:11pm
KMC440 wrote:
Pakoys250f ... congrats Checo deserves the Red Bull ride for sure. 👍
Thanks! It was a heck of a race! After last week and seeing him almost out at the first lap... damn hell of a rollercoaster.

Of course Russell deserved the win, but men Checo drove great after what happened on lap 1 overtaking a number of cars and preserving the tires. What else can he do to prove he deserve a good seat?? He passed Albon and dropped him and then Stroll.

I have followed F1 since 1998 I was 11, I supported Montoya and his wins felt awesome as a latin american.

But now watching Checo won after he has been trough this year was amazing... Hearing the Mexican national anthem almost brought me to tears.

I really hope he can get a seat which he surely deserves, also for us as Mexicans would suck to have the GP here without him.
ocscottie
12/8/2020 12:52pm
Lando is pissed that 'Nando gets to take part in the "Young drivers test" and some other good tidbits in the clip:

rhargrave431
12/8/2020 12:59pm
Thinking back.. I wonder when the last time a driver started top 5, fell back to last after an accident, and then went on to win the race?
CM_84
12/8/2020 2:39pm
mx617 wrote:
CM_84 wrote:
They said they were going to do it after the season. I dont think there is really any chance that it doesn't get sorted. Hamilton obviously...
DK23 wrote:
What about Checo? He is already acclimated with the MB engine and brake ducts.
Checo is great, and thoroughly deserves a top drive. but he is not a potential Hamilton replacement.
As good as he is i dont think he is quite on the Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc level. And Hamilton knows that.
Russell could be.
KMC440
12/8/2020 2:57pm
Checo is too old for the MB spot. They want someone they can put in the car for 5 to 8 years and build around them. George brings with him youth and Great Britain.
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1568th
12/8/2020 3:28pm
KMC440 wrote:
Checo is too old for the MB spot. They want someone they can put in the car for 5 to 8 years and build around them...
Checo is too old for the MB spot. They want someone they can put in the car for 5 to 8 years and build around them. George brings with him youth and Great Britain.
The thing here is that Hamilton doesn´t want a Rosberg again.. He is happy with Bottas.

But after seeing Russell almost win ( he would of course whithout the "puncture") I think now Mercedes has the power of negotiation on their side, at least they have more power than a week ago.

It should be interesting.

Russell was supposed to be the future of MB but instead being stuck in the williams next year again must suck for him after driving the MB.
ocscottie
12/8/2020 4:07pm
Thinking back.. I wonder when the last time a driver started top 5, fell back to last after an accident, and then went on to win...
Thinking back.. I wonder when the last time a driver started top 5, fell back to last after an accident, and then went on to win the race?
Thats a good question...I still havent finished watching the race, I need to.
rhargrave431
12/8/2020 4:20pm
Thinking back.. I wonder when the last time a driver started top 5, fell back to last after an accident, and then went on to win...
ocscottie wrote:
Thats a good question...I still havent finished watching the race, I need to.
You just don't see it. I bet it is 40+ years ago. Top cars are so dominant now, that you are not going from the back, and back to the front. Sunday was a perfect storm where the best cars also faltered.
ocscottie
12/8/2020 4:51pm
Interesting, why Perez should get Albons seat:

KMC440
12/8/2020 9:41pm
I'm really curious to see how 44 is going to handle all the questions surrounding his replacement driver versus the "how are you feeling, we're happy you're back" questions.

You know it's going to be a sliver under his skin answering them.
Markopolo400
12/9/2020 7:09am
My .02c - Bottas to Williams, George to Merc with Lewis, Checo to RB, Albon out of F1.
KMC440
12/10/2020 9:32am
You don't look so good Lewis.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/10/2020 10:56am
Holigan wrote:
Bummer
Yeah, I was hoping Hamilton was going to sit out the last round.

Wanted to see Russell have another go in the Mercedes.
KMC440
12/10/2020 12:52pm
Mick looks good ... that red is almost Ferrari RedWink

Dammit George !! Screw Lewis steal the car! ! Greatest heist in motorsports !!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/10/2020 3:15pm
KMC440 wrote:
Mick looks good ... that red is almost Ferrari RedWink

Dammit George !! Screw Lewis steal the car! ! Greatest heist in motorsports !!
Grinning

KMC440
12/10/2020 3:29pm
Where the hell is Gillooly !?!?
KMC440
12/13/2020 4:56am
Final race ... bummed for George, outhouse to the penthouse then back. Must be one heck of a kick in the balls knowing what's out there and you're stuck in a turd.

Here's to an entertaining race ... cheers !!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/13/2020 7:29am
Confirmed. Bottas is staying put at Mercedes next year.

Post a reply to: 2020 F1 World Championship

The Latest