2018.5 factory edition

mxjeff575
9/12/2017 3:18pm
ob wrote:
Ok then ML, post that dang photo!
ML512 wrote:
Not happening, ha! The way I acquired it makes it something I can't post.
The real money question is knowing what you know and have seen if YOU owned a '17 or '18 would you be looking to upgrade?
Yes ML512, can you include this new KTM in your upcoming shootout? LOL. Kidding aside, I am very excited to see the details of the new/updated design. I'm assuming early December the FE details will be officially released.
Digger29
9/12/2017 4:23pm
I'm hearing cone valves and a trax shock and I heard it from more than one source. Put your deposits on one now too because I also heard that they're only making the minimum of 400 units too.
mxer613
9/12/2017 5:32pm
Digger29 wrote:
I'm hearing cone valves and a trax shock and I heard it from more than one source. Put your deposits on one now too because I...
I'm hearing cone valves and a trax shock and I heard it from more than one source. Put your deposits on one now too because I also heard that they're only making the minimum of 400 units too.
I want one if that's even kinda true, I have a 16.5 FE and it's almost time
Meister
9/12/2017 6:03pm
Heard the same thing as digger. From a pretty reliable source who has probably already seen it.

The Shop

Tim507
9/13/2017 9:49am
Digger29 wrote:
I'm hearing cone valves and a trax shock and I heard it from more than one source. Put your deposits on one now too because I...
mxer613 wrote:
OK - that rumor pushed me over the line.....order/deposit placedWoohooEvil

Been riding a 16 350 SXF (now 380) with 2017 AER forks, DCR Cams, Vortex ECU and MR 12........guess it has to go!!
9/13/2017 10:14am
KTM have been testing with aluminum frames back to back with chromoly but they still believe the Chromoly is better? I mean all that is related to both engine and suspension charachter? And why would the japs change i think they have to much pride for that, to recognize KTM´ been smarter for soon 7-8 years now? Today it feels like people searching for the japs bikes to feel like the KTM and not the other way around as it used to be?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/13/2017 10:23am
Digger29 wrote:
mxer613 wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
OK - that rumor pushed me over the line.....order/deposit placed:woohoo: :evil: Been riding a 16 350 SXF (now 380) with 2017 AER forks, DCR Cams, Vortex...
OK - that rumor pushed me over the line.....order/deposit placedWoohooEvil

Been riding a 16 350 SXF (now 380) with 2017 AER forks, DCR Cams, Vortex ECU and MR 12........guess it has to go!!
Me too, I called today and placed a deposit!!!!!!
ob
9/13/2017 11:01am
I call bullshit on the cone valves or trax. That would push the price way to high.
9/13/2017 11:26am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 11:32am
ob wrote:
I call bullshit on the cone valves or trax. That would push the price way to high.
Why? They have always priced themselves as a premium product vs the competition, until this model year, in which they are priced essentially the same as the big four.
ob
9/13/2017 12:38pm
ob wrote:
Why? They have always priced themselves as a premium product vs the competition, until this model year, in which they are priced essentially the same as...
Why? They have always priced themselves as a premium product vs the competition, until this model year, in which they are priced essentially the same as the big four.
Because I would think it would be a substantial increase in the price. Trax shock $2500 cone valve fork $3500, minus the cost of the cheap air fork and normal shock. Seems like a lot of extra cash. Maybe my economics are off.
I wish they would just build a production version of the cone valves, and a nice blader equipped shock.
Tim507
9/13/2017 12:59pm
ob wrote:
Why? They have always priced themselves as a premium product vs the competition, until this model year, in which they are priced essentially the same as...
ob wrote:
Because I would think it would be a substantial increase in the price. Trax shock $2500 cone valve fork $3500, minus the cost of the cheap...
Because I would think it would be a substantial increase in the price. Trax shock $2500 cone valve fork $3500, minus the cost of the cheap air fork and normal shock. Seems like a lot of extra cash. Maybe my economics are off.
I wish they would just build a production version of the cone valves, and a nice blader equipped shock.
I would venture that a small production run of 400 dedicated units of the Cone and Trax would pencil out not to bad at cost then markup for the FE. Yes more $$$ for sure. Market price for Cone/Trax less an unknown for stock components might skew the analysis.

In my case (getting older) I bet (if the rumor is even true) the added cost will be worth it, rather than add those components later.

Hope the rumor is true!!!!
ob
9/13/2017 1:25pm
Yes Tim I agree. And if it was a cost savings to buy the bike with the good stuff already on it that would be worth it. Of course they would still need to be set up for each individual person to be much of a benifit.
mx317
9/13/2017 1:39pm
ob wrote:
Yes Tim I agree. And if it was a cost savings to buy the bike with the good stuff already on it that would be worth...
Yes Tim I agree. And if it was a cost savings to buy the bike with the good stuff already on it that would be worth it. Of course they would still need to be set up for each individual person to be much of a benifit.
Most get their suspension revalved anyway, so setup should be no problem if needed.
ob
9/13/2017 2:33pm
ob wrote:
Yes Tim I agree. And if it was a cost savings to buy the bike with the good stuff already on it that would be worth...
mx317 wrote:
Most get their suspension revalved anyway, so setup should be no problem if needed.
If you buy cone valve and trax from the aftermarket it comes valved for you was my point.
So what would be the guestimation for the retail price of a factory edition 450 with cone valves and trax shock? $15000? Or something? Then revalve it if needed $600 + or -. What do you guys think? Any guesses on pricing? I know it couldn't be $11,000. WP would also need to really ramp up production of those parts, it's not like they just pop out of a mold like plastic. I'll stick with it wont happen. Now if just for shits and giggles it did, and it was $12,000 that would be bad ass.
9/13/2017 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 5:16pm
ob wrote:
ob wrote:
Because I would think it would be a substantial increase in the price. Trax shock $2500 cone valve fork $3500, minus the cost of the cheap...
The current "cheap air fork" is $3000 (it would prob be air on the CVs, too). Current shock $1200.

So the retail gap on those components is only $1800; which is nothing that can't be price-managed, especially once you are scaling to production quantities with whatever manufacturing adjustments are necessary.

That's clearly what Suzuki was thinking when they basically went with all top dollar suspension stuff on their newest model, and KTM has certainly positioned themselves better to pitch an expensive bike with top-shelf components than Suzuki.
mx317
9/13/2017 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 5:19pm
ob wrote:
If you buy cone valve and trax from the aftermarket it comes valved for you was my point. So what would be the guestimation for the...
If you buy cone valve and trax from the aftermarket it comes valved for you was my point.
So what would be the guestimation for the retail price of a factory edition 450 with cone valves and trax shock? $15000? Or something? Then revalve it if needed $600 + or -. What do you guys think? Any guesses on pricing? I know it couldn't be $11,000. WP would also need to really ramp up production of those parts, it's not like they just pop out of a mold like plastic. I'll stick with it wont happen. Now if just for shits and giggles it did, and it was $12,000 that would be bad ass.
No actually you buy the Cone Valve forks and pay extra to have them valved for you. It's the same with the shock.
Revalve
$229.95
Fluids
$28.95
Cone Valve Fork Kit
$3549.00
Total
$3808.85
Paul333
9/13/2017 5:33pm
I'd assume if there is any truth to these rumors of production KTM's getting Cone Valve Forks & Trax shock can be translated to mean: "Cone Valve & Trax Shock Technology". Meaning production versions, not the works or WPS A-Kit stuff you guys are talking about.
rhargrave431
9/13/2017 5:37pm
I'm curious to if Tickle and the Moose will be riding it at straight rhythm and MEC. I don't imagine them testing a bunch on the current model when they will be on the 18.5 for Anaheim 1?
9/13/2017 5:41pm
Paul333 wrote:
I'd assume if there is any truth to these rumors of production KTM's getting Cone Valve Forks & Trax shock can be translated to mean: "Cone...
I'd assume if there is any truth to these rumors of production KTM's getting Cone Valve Forks & Trax shock can be translated to mean: "Cone Valve & Trax Shock Technology". Meaning production versions, not the works or WPS A-Kit stuff you guys are talking about.
Obviously, as some of the labor-intensive build methodology generally can't be produced in production qty.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
9/13/2017 5:58pm
Paul333 wrote:
I'd assume if there is any truth to these rumors of production KTM's getting Cone Valve Forks & Trax shock can be translated to mean: "Cone...
I would assume this too.
endurox
9/13/2017 6:21pm
I'm curious to if Tickle and the Moose will be riding it at straight rhythm and MEC. I don't imagine them testing a bunch on the...
I'm curious to if Tickle and the Moose will be riding it at straight rhythm and MEC. I don't imagine them testing a bunch on the current model when they will be on the 18.5 for Anaheim 1?
Moose can should return to defend his title. Wonder if Roczen will be there.
Johnny Depp
9/13/2017 6:23pm
This thread is getting good traction now...

If people are spending $15k to buy a bike and get it set up now, why wouldn't they pay $12500 to have it already done?
Tim507
9/13/2017 8:12pm
Paul333 wrote:
Myke wrote:
I would assume this too.
Sound logic for sure.....however being the dreamer I am.....I'm going for the 18.5 FE to have pure technology and the 19 450 will have the production Cone/Trax version.WhistlingWoohooCool
jwoltz
9/13/2017 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 9:42pm
This thread is getting good traction now... If people are spending $15k to buy a bike and get it set up now, why wouldn't they pay...
This thread is getting good traction now...

If people are spending $15k to buy a bike and get it set up now, why wouldn't they pay $12500 to have it already done?
I put a deposit down in May when I read the 2018.5 would be all new. All this talk has me fired up for the upcoming monster cup and the start of Supercross!! A-1 Pits will be good this year.
Xsenter
9/14/2017 2:51am
It´s hilariuos that some of you actually make an order/deposit based on rumors posted on vital ! Laughing
9/14/2017 3:54am
Xsenter wrote:
It´s hilariuos that some of you actually make an order/deposit based on rumors posted on vital ! Laughing
more hilarious you actually believe them lol
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/14/2017 4:08am
I did put a deposit down yesterday, didn't have anything to do with rumors. My son rode a 17 and loved it, I want a FE so we decided to get in line early.... Hope to have in time for spring LL qualifiers....
Tim507
9/14/2017 5:30am
Xsenter wrote:
68 wrote:
more hilarious you actually believe them lol
The doubters have a purpose......never been able to figure what is is thoughWhistling

As far a deposit based on rumors....with only 400 units being imported, others who have connections and will get one regardless........a deposit is refundable (usually if you have good relationship with the dealer) so what is there to risk?.Woohoo
endurox
9/14/2017 7:55am
Lots of manufactures have sold high dollar limited edition bikes in the high 5 digit figures. So 14k for a cone valve bike is a bargin. BMW HP4 race edition is 5 times the price of the standard 1000rr. Just add a Moose Can genuine signature on the limited edtion 450 and an extra set of bodywork.
Johnny Depp
9/14/2017 9:56am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 9:57am
Alta's at $15k.

Kit suspension at $5k and up.

KTM's powerparts offering dozens of options.

Beta's Build Your Own Bike program regularly selling bikes $12-$15k.

Harley rider's dropping as much cash as a car and never riding them.

Side by Sides stealing market share at over $20k.

The market appears to be there.

Post a reply to: 2018.5 factory edition

The Latest