2017-18 College football

JRT812
12/3/2017 11:36am
gharmon wrote:
As a bama fan I'm rooting for bama to get in. But I think the committee likes both Urban and Saban and they are both good...
As a bama fan I'm rooting for bama to get in. But I think the committee likes both Urban and Saban and they are both good at lobbying for their teams. I think they let osu in to right that wrong from last year of not letting conference champ in. The sent a one loss osu to final over a two loss champ whom they beat head to head.

I say they get back on track this year. But ROLL TIDE
Flip109 wrote:
Yeah, I really think Bama is the better team. But it’s gonna be hard on the committee not to let big 10 champs in.... either way...
Yeah, I really think Bama is the better team. But it’s gonna be hard on the committee not to let big 10 champs in.... either way the playoffs will be fun to watch!
Apparently it wasn’t
APLMAN99
12/3/2017 11:50am
gharmon wrote:
As a bama fan I'm rooting for bama to get in. But I think the committee likes both Urban and Saban and they are both good...
As a bama fan I'm rooting for bama to get in. But I think the committee likes both Urban and Saban and they are both good at lobbying for their teams. I think they let osu in to right that wrong from last year of not letting conference champ in. The sent a one loss osu to final over a two loss champ whom they beat head to head.

Flip109 wrote:
Yeah, I really think Bama is the better team. But it’s gonna be hard on the committee not to let big 10 champs in.... either way...
Yeah, I really think Bama is the better team. But it’s gonna be hard on the committee not to let big 10 champs in.... either way the playoffs will be fun to watch!
It probably would have been harder for them if the OSU head coach hadn't downplayed the importance of being the conference champion in the past.

That loss to Iowa was too big to overlook, obviously.

Wins over "quality opponents" are somewhat important, but shouldn't be nearly as important as who you actually lose to. A team's schedule is made up several years in advance, so if your opponents are in a downswing there isn't much you can do about it except to beat whoever you line up against. Rutgers is a good example of that. Several teams made home and away agreements with Rutgers when they had some decent years under Schiano several years ago, and those agreements begin sometimes 5 years or more from when they are agreed to because you're already scheduled that far out. By the time those games came around, Rutgers was a shell of a team compared to when the scheduling agreements were made.

But if you win all those games anyway, it is hard to actually downgrade a team for winning when they should, even though it's hard not to if everything else seems equal.

But losses to teams that you should dominate are (or should be) huge factors. And OSU should definitely have dominated Iowa.
Flip109
12/3/2017 2:13pm
Yeah that Iowa loss was the fork in em. They went into that game with a chip on their shoulder I think. Oh well. They get a bowl game at the cotton bowl now so may get to go see my local boy play!
Larry
12/3/2017 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2017 4:27pm
gharmon wrote:

No one who has met him likes Urban
Not many like Sabin unless they they respect a GOAT.
But me?
I am loving my son of Sabin, Kirby Smart.
Dude is just what the ancient University of Georgia needed .
A winner who could give a shit if he hurts an alumni 's feelings
He has kids to coach and championships to win

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/10/2017 8:25am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2017 8:27am

As it’s “my team” and an alma mater, it’s cool to have another Heisman winner! I get it if you don’t like him, I probably wouldn’t either if it wasn’t my team. Nonetheless, cool from my side of the fence. BTW, that pose wasn’t on purpose.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/23/2017 3:48pm
Good game between Army and SDSU!
APLMAN99
1/16/2018 9:38pm
Horrible, horrible news from the Washington State campus today. Kind of hits home the pressure that some of these kids get put on them and how that can be magnified being so far away from home.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/01/16/washington-state-tyler-h…

By DANIEL RAPAPORT January 16, 2018

Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 21.

Pullman police released a statement on Tuesday night confirming Hilinski's death. The police's statement said that Hilinski was found dead on Tuesday in his apartment with “an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head,” along with a note.

Police detectives and the Whitman County Coroner's Office are still working to confirm the suspected cause of death.

Hilinski, who was a redshirt sophomore this season, appeared in eight games and started in Washington State's 42–17 loss to Michigan State in Holiday Bowl. He served primarily as the backup to senior Luke Falk and threw for 1,176 yards, seven touchdowns and seven interceptions on the season. He was slated to be the Cougars' starting quarterback going into the 2018 season.

"We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Tyler's passing," Cougars coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He was an incredible young man and everyone who had the privilege of knowing him was better for it. The entire WSU community mourns as thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

SI's Bruce Feldman said those surrounding the program are shocked by the news and called Hilinski "one of the most outgoing kids on the team who was always smiling."

Hilinski was a three-star recruit in 2015 and is from Claremont, Calif.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/17/2018 5:45am
^^^^I saw that. Tragic. Condolences to all affected.
APLMAN99
1/17/2018 9:00am
kzizok wrote:
^^^^I saw that. Tragic. Condolences to all affected.
The reports say that he left a suicide note, but I doubt that the contents will be released to the public. It may have been personal issues like a girlfriend problem, flunking classes, strife with his family, etc. But in the back of my mind I sort of wonder if it was football related, and more specifically if it was a reaction to dealing with the coaching of Leach. I know it's just speculation, but the Adam James treatment, along with some of the other issues with some players up here just kind of makes you wonder. If a kid is suffering from some depression in the first place, he could definitely be extra susceptible to the negative approach that it seems like Leach likes to use.

I feel for this kid's family and loved ones. Can't imagine losing one of my children, especially like this.
TXDirt
1/17/2018 9:04am
I really hope they examine his brain for possible CTE.

At the college level these kids have already taken thousands of tackles and probably had several concussions.
APLMAN99
1/17/2018 9:50am
TXDirt wrote:
I really hope they examine his brain for possible CTE. At the college level these kids have already taken thousands of tackles and probably had several...

At the college level these kids have already taken thousands of tackles and probably had several concussions.
Definitely a possibility, especially if he played both sides of the ball in high school and on the scout team his first year or two of college ball. A couple of undiagnosed head injuries could end up compounding things so that the effects increase earlier than most.

He died of a gunshot wound, so the odds of them studying his brain are probably small.
TXDirt
1/17/2018 10:02am
TXDirt wrote:
I really hope they examine his brain for possible CTE. At the college level these kids have already taken thousands of tackles and probably had several...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Definitely a possibility, especially if he played both sides of the ball in high school and on the scout team his first year or two of...
Definitely a possibility, especially if he played both sides of the ball in high school and on the scout team his first year or two of college ball. A couple of undiagnosed head injuries could end up compounding things so that the effects increase earlier than most.

He died of a gunshot wound, so the odds of them studying his brain are probably small.
My understanding is you need fairly small amounts of brain tissue to examine but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Post a reply to: 2017-18 College football

The Latest