2015 Chevrolet Silverado or 2015 Toyota Tundra?

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 9:19pm
I would love to get some feedback from you guys that drive Chevrolet Silverados or Toyota Tundras. I'm looking to make a new truck purchase here pretty soon and am torn between the two. I love the features and fuel economy of the new Chevy's but am well aware of the great reliability offered by Toyotas. Can you shed some light on what you think is a better overall purchase and give reasons. Thanks!
|
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
3/1/2015 6:58am
One of my best friends builds car dealerships for all the brands. He deals with all the dealership owners and managers during the building of a new dealership or remodel of an existing dealership. While there was a time that he told me the GM products quality was such an issue they had crates and crates of new engines that they just replaced the whole engine. He says the GM product is now more reliable than the Toyota. They are just really bad at trying to get the public to believe it.
TM
EMA884mx
3/1/2015 7:13am
ToolMaker wrote:
One of my best friends builds car dealerships for all the brands. He deals with all the dealership owners and managers during the building of a...
One of my best friends builds car dealerships for all the brands. He deals with all the dealership owners and managers during the building of a new dealership or remodel of an existing dealership. While there was a time that he told me the GM products quality was such an issue they had crates and crates of new engines that they just replaced the whole engine. He says the GM product is now more reliable than the Toyota. They are just really bad at trying to get the public to believe it.
TM
That's interesting, thanks for the feedback. Do you know what year GM really turned the corner with their development?
JRT812
3/1/2015 7:26am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2015 7:26am
I am not sure when they turned the corner, but ( knock on wood) i have had zero issues with my silverado. I was hesitant purchasing my truck in 2013 but gm gave me the best deal. I had only driven fords up to that point. The truck may not be the best in some categories but it is a great all around truck and only heard better things about the newer models. Silveradosierra.com has a wealth of knowledge.

With that being said we just purchased a 2014 toyota 4runner for my wife and have had zero issues. It is mind blowing the recommendation for oil changes... every 10000 miles
500guy
3/1/2015 7:26am
specific model and power train issues need to be researched, Toyota isn't as great as the reputation and on the plus side a Chevrolet is much easier to find parts and a good service tech.

The Shop

3/1/2015 8:15am
The mpg of the new silverado's isn't that great in my opinion. I have a 2014 4 door z71 4x4 for work and while doing "real world" interstate driving I usually average around 17-19 mpg highway (unloaded, 1 passenger) while the EPA says it will get 22. Granted that I'm always running 75 mph and Ohio's interstates aren't flat; a bunch of ups and downs.

You probably could get 22 MPG but that would need to be under perfect conditions; sea level, completely flat road, no headwind, and 70 MPH.

My mileage does bump up to 20-21 while running 60MPH on state routes.

Also, never go off what the stupid "fuel economy" computer says. It is always 1-3 mpg high vs my hand calculated values.

My buddies Dad had issues with his 2013 sierra burning all kinds of oil, part of the cylinder deactivation got screwed up and his truck would burn a quart of oil every 1K miles. Granted, he did still get over 250k miles out of his truck before he traded it in.
tomm55x
3/1/2015 9:04am
I would go with a Silverado all day over the Toyota, they are very nice trucks
Sandberm
3/1/2015 9:07am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
The mpg of the new silverado's isn't that great in my opinion. I have a 2014 4 door z71 4x4 for work and while doing "real...
The mpg of the new silverado's isn't that great in my opinion. I have a 2014 4 door z71 4x4 for work and while doing "real world" interstate driving I usually average around 17-19 mpg highway (unloaded, 1 passenger) while the EPA says it will get 22. Granted that I'm always running 75 mph and Ohio's interstates aren't flat; a bunch of ups and downs.

You probably could get 22 MPG but that would need to be under perfect conditions; sea level, completely flat road, no headwind, and 70 MPH.

Also, never go off what the stupid "fuel economy" computer says. It is always 1-3 mpg high vs my hand calculated values.

My buddies Dad had issues with his 2013 sierra burning all kinds of oil, part of the cylinder deactivation got screwed up and his truck would burn a quart of oil every 1K miles. Granted, he did still get over 250k miles out of his truck before he traded it in.
I'm confused on your buddies Dads truck. You say its a 2013 and he got 250,000 miles out of it before he traded it in?

He drove 125,000 miles per year?
mx757
3/1/2015 10:12am
I stick with Toyotas. My 96 T100 ran 280k with absolutely no issues other than the standard wear items. It finally got hit a couple weeks back and the insurance company totaled it out. I picked up an 01 Tundra that has 176k on it, had the timing belt done 30k ago, and this thing is dead solid. Check out tundratalk.net and see what the guys that have bought the new tundras have to say. I will buy Toyota all the way because I know they have been perfect for me.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/1/2015 10:55am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
The mpg of the new silverado's isn't that great in my opinion. I have a 2014 4 door z71 4x4 for work and while doing "real...

For MPG, that's quite a bit better than the Tundra.
borg
3/1/2015 11:15am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2015 11:16am
I have an '06 Tundra with a little over 100k on it. The only problem I have had was a bearing on a belt idler. Fixed it myself and replaced the belt at the same time.
Any more, they all make pretty good trucks. I was on the fence about the Tundra vs the F150. I went with the Tundra because of gas mileage. This is my second Toyota. I had a 4Runner. One thing is for sure, Toyota will rape you on parts. They are fucking ridiculous. Don't know about Chevy but Toyota thinks their parts are all gold plated. Good thing they hold up well.

Try this, call a Chevy dealer and get a price on a starter for '13 Silverado and then do the same with Toyota. See what happens. It might end up being a factor for you if you plan on keeping the truck for several years like I do.
bsm121
3/1/2015 11:36am
Why are you not considering ford?
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
3/1/2015 1:28pm
You can't go wrong with either..My father in law just bought a 2015 Silverado Crew and it is a great truck. I have a Tundra and it is also a great truck.

My Tundra feels like a truck where as the Silverado feels more like a car/suv- which is why my father in law bought the Silverado. My mother in law couldn't get up into the Tundra as easily.

I can say the Tundra engine is a beast!

Toyota sponsors supercross which is also a plus to me..

Drive them both and make your decision..
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/1/2015 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2015 2:33pm
Neither! That said, the Tundra is no more reliable than the other fullsize trucks. I also can't get around how their bed looks like it is a wet noodle (distorting) while going over bumps.
EMA884mx
3/1/2015 3:22pm
Well, to be honest I am not a huge fan of the way the new Fords look. Also, my mother-in-law has a F350 Super Duty that has given her a number of issues, so that also has put a bad taste in my mouth. Have you guys with Silverados had many problems? What issues have you heard about with the Tundras? I thought Toyota was like the problem-free vehicle of choice. I'm coming off of a 2009 Toyota Tacoma that was great, so I am biased towards Yotas.
71Fish
3/1/2015 7:45pm
mx757 wrote:
I stick with Toyotas. My 96 T100 ran 280k with absolutely no issues other than the standard wear items. It finally got hit a couple weeks...
I stick with Toyotas. My 96 T100 ran 280k with absolutely no issues other than the standard wear items. It finally got hit a couple weeks back and the insurance company totaled it out. I picked up an 01 Tundra that has 176k on it, had the timing belt done 30k ago, and this thing is dead solid. Check out tundratalk.net and see what the guys that have bought the new tundras have to say. I will buy Toyota all the way because I know they have been perfect for me.
I don't know what year different Tundra models came out, but I like the early, smaller ones like I'm sure yours is. Perfect size for (me) someone who would use it as a daily driver, rather than hauling for work daily. I miss having a truck.
Atmos
3/2/2015 6:39am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 11:58am
I'm not a fan of General Motors, especially the way they allowed themselves to hold the government hostage for a bailout over their own deficiencies. I'd buy the Toyota.
huck
3/2/2015 6:41am
I just got a 2015 GMC and love it. My brother in law got the Toyota. The fit and finish on the GMC is nicer with more room. The MPG is better on the GMC too.
IWreckALot
3/2/2015 8:07am
Bigoldbeef wrote:

ML512 wrote:
For MPG, that's quite a bit better than the Tundra.
I have the 4.6L V8 with 20's and get 17MPG. I have a buddy with the standard 18" rims and 5.7L getting greater than 20mpg's but he drives like a grandma.

My wife and I were recently looking at trucks and I found that GM/Chevy dropped a new engine in 2014 that gets substantially better MPG's than the 2013 and previous models. The 4WD Chevy seemed to be the best gas mileage among the brands. My biggest complaint against the Chevy's all along is that the interior has always felt cheap. After riding in a buddy's more recent model, they've made a lot of improvements. All said, I think a Chevy would be on my list of top trucks to consider. Although, I do really like my Toyota. A lot of the "add on's" for other brands are just standard equipment for Toyota.
SF45
3/2/2015 8:54am
I definitely like the Chevy's look for this generation. The High Country edition is real nice.
danman
3/2/2015 12:19pm
Personally, I won't buy another GM product until I feel like they actually give a shit about what they are making. WAY TOO MANY POS's on the road from them. Besides, how many times do we have to bail them out. They f'd us over on the bailout, so I say f' them!

I'd say Toyota will outlast GM in longevity and resale value. You may pay more for parts, but you probably won't be replacing them as often. The MPG probably isn't as good as the Chevy. Being a Tundra owner, I find it REALLY hard to believe that Chevy has as much room in the back seat area as a Tundra. When I was looking, the only one that was close was the Ford. The Dodge Mega cab was larger, but had to be a 3/4 ton to get that one.
huck
3/2/2015 12:22pm
danman wrote:
Personally, I won't buy another GM product until I feel like they actually give a shit about what they are making. WAY TOO MANY POS's on...
Personally, I won't buy another GM product until I feel like they actually give a shit about what they are making. WAY TOO MANY POS's on the road from them. Besides, how many times do we have to bail them out. They f'd us over on the bailout, so I say f' them!

I'd say Toyota will outlast GM in longevity and resale value. You may pay more for parts, but you probably won't be replacing them as often. The MPG probably isn't as good as the Chevy. Being a Tundra owner, I find it REALLY hard to believe that Chevy has as much room in the back seat area as a Tundra. When I was looking, the only one that was close was the Ford. The Dodge Mega cab was larger, but had to be a 3/4 ton to get that one.
My GMC has more leg room in the back seat than a Ford.... (2015 - half ton)
SEE ARE125
3/2/2015 12:36pm
EMA884mx wrote:
Well, to be honest I am not a huge fan of the way the new Fords look. Also, my mother-in-law has a F350 Super Duty that...
Well, to be honest I am not a huge fan of the way the new Fords look. Also, my mother-in-law has a F350 Super Duty that has given her a number of issues, so that also has put a bad taste in my mouth. Have you guys with Silverados had many problems? What issues have you heard about with the Tundras? I thought Toyota was like the problem-free vehicle of choice. I'm coming off of a 2009 Toyota Tacoma that was great, so I am biased towards Yotas.
Was it a diesel? Ford makes a good product, but the Navistar 6.0L and 6.4L diesels they had from 03-10 were junk. I wouldn't judge Ford as a whole based on that engine and it's issues.

If I were getting a new half ton, I honestly don't know which one I would get. It'd be between a Ram 1500 diesel, F-150, or Sierra Denali.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/2/2015 12:45pm
danman wrote:
Personally, I won't buy another GM product until I feel like they actually give a shit about what they are making. WAY TOO MANY POS's on...

huck wrote:
Is that really a top priority for a lot of truck buyers? My ram quadcab is much smaller in the back than the newest 4 door trucks but no one ever complains in the back and actually comment how much room they have usually (usually girls but still). I'd rather have a little less room back there and bed that isn't 5' personally.
huck
3/2/2015 1:01pm
danman wrote:

huck wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Is that really a top priority for a lot of truck buyers? My ram quadcab is much smaller in the back than the newest 4 door...
Is that really a top priority for a lot of truck buyers? My ram quadcab is much smaller in the back than the newest 4 door trucks but no one ever complains in the back and actually comment how much room they have usually (usually girls but still). I'd rather have a little less room back there and bed that isn't 5' personally.
For me it was...

If I want a bigger bed, I'll drive the 2500...for this truck, a half ton, I'd rather have a bigger bed, and bigger front seat.
Gabriel J
3/2/2015 1:21pm
I traded in my '07 Tundra crewmax for a '15 Sierra SLT in December. I considered another Tundra, but there were a couple reasons why I went to GMC.

Better Fuel economy: The 5.3 might have a bit less power, but i'm getting 3-7mpg more so far with about 3k miles on the GMC.

Smaller: The huge cab in the Tundra was great because at the time I bought it, I was towing a trailer and hitting the mx tracks with my buddies a lot....Without a bike for the last year and a half, I haven't had the need to pack the truck full of people. The smaller feel to the truck and it being a bit lower make it easier for my wife to drive it. So, less complaints climbing in and out, or if she gets "stuck" having to park it in a crowded lot.

Styling: I think the Sierra just looks better.

I worked at a Toyota dealer when I got the Tundra, and still have friends that work there..There are just as many problems with them as their domestic counterparts (with the exception of Ram. Still couldn't pay me to own one. The diesel motors are exceptional though). The fit and finish of the GMC is much better than previous generations, and I would say it is better than that of the new Tundras.

3/2/2015 2:03pm
Been a Chevy guy all my life..currently have a 2012 Duramax 2500

If I was looking to buy new, I would have to at least give the new Dodge 1500 Diesel a look...especially if MPG was a concern
danman
3/2/2015 2:11pm
danman wrote:

huck wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Is that really a top priority for a lot of truck buyers? My ram quadcab is much smaller in the back than the newest 4 door...
It was for me. I've got two boys that are 6', so the leg room was needed, more for one of them than the other.
The bed is just a bit over 5'6" and I'm either hauling wood, dirt bikes, or lumber. I also pull a camper, boat, or snowmobile trailer, so I'd rather have the room in the cab and be comfortable.
Grieby54
3/2/2015 2:54pm
You're going to get a higher end fit/finish on the GM as well as more options for creature comforts. You're going to get rock-solid reliability from the Toyota as well as a much better resale value down the road.

Post a reply to: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado or 2015 Toyota Tundra?

The Latest