2014 Formula 1 ERS

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
Edited Date/Time 6/27/2013 5:33pm

Can someone explain the new ERS system? I understand the former KERS braking side of it, but not the energy recovery from the turbo. I have looked around for info on it but none of them will say it where its understandable.

Is it some kind of alternator system mounted to the turbo? To me that seems like it would hurt the performance with the added weight.
I also found something about thermal energy that is recovered from the exhaust.
|
ocscottie
6/24/2013 5:06pm
Ill have to dig up the article i read the other day about it, for now, here is this from James Allen F1 site: HERE

As for the technicalities of the engine, it is a 1.6 litre direct injection, single turbo, fitted with ERS, the energy recovery system which replaces the unloved KERS units of today. ERS will increase efficiency by
harvesting energy dissipated as heat in the exhaust or brakes. Currently KERS gives a 60kW boost, ERS will provide double that – 120kW (160bhp).

The 2014 engine has two energy recovery units, one which harvests heat exhaust energy from the turbine shaft and another which recovers energy from the crankshaft under braking.
indy_maico
6/25/2013 7:08am
You can read about the technology here:

http://www.renaultsportf1.com/Nouvelle-traduction-40-Energy-F1.html

MGU
A motor generator unit (MGU) is an electrical machine. When operating as a motor, the MGU converts electrical energy to mechanical energy. When it operates as a generator the MGU converts mechanical energy to electrical. The 2014 Power Unit uses two MGUs; an MGU-H (H for Heat – exhaust energy recovery) and MGU-K (K for Kinetic – kinetic energy recovery during braking).

MGU-K
The MGU-K is connected to the crankshaft of the internal combustion engine and is capable of recovering or providing power (limited to 120 kW or 160 bhp by the rules). Under braking, the MGU-K operates as a generator to slow the car (reducing the heat dissipated in the brakes) and so recovers some of the kinetic energy and converts it into electricity. Under acceleration, the MGU-K is powered (from the Energy Store and/or from the MGU-H) and acts as a motor to propel the car.

MGU-H
The MGU-H is connected to the turbocharger. Acting as a generator, it absorbs power from the turbine shaft to recover heat energy from the exhaust gases. The electrical energy can be either directed to the MGU-K or to the battery for storage for later use. The MGU-H is also used to control the speed of the turbocharger to match the air requirement of the engine (eg to slow it down in place of a wastegate or to accelerate it to compensate for turbo-lag.)

ERS
The Power Unit’s ERS (Energy Recovery System) uses the MGU-H and MGU-K plus an Energy Store, plus some power and control electronics. Heat and Kinetic Energy recovered can be consumed immediately if required by the other MGU, or used to charge the Energy Store. The stored energy can be used to propel the car by the MGU-K or to accelerate the turbocharger by the MGU-H. Compared to 2013 KERS, the ERS of the 2014 Power Unit will have twice the power (120 kW vs 60 kW) and a performance effect 10 times greater.
ns503
6/25/2013 8:54am
Lots of potential in the consumer/'real' world for this tech - I would think.

I kind of cringe every time I have to put my foot on the brake pedal - lots of wasted energy. Then wasted dollars replacing brake components.

Cost might be a big factor though, I'd suspect...

The Shop

jchek779
6/26/2013 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2013 5:54pm
There is a ton of potential to this in the real world - the transient assist enables engine downspeeding (through taller gear ratios) and also engine downsizing (smaller displacement) because of the improved torque curve. The motor assist can also be used to keep the turbo spooled between tranny shifts if calibrated to do so.
On the generate side - think of waste gate. It's used to bleed off excess exhaust energy and to prevent over speeding the turbo. All of that wasted energy can be used to generate power. That's the easy part. Now all of that power needs to be sent to a storage bank (battery or ultra/super cap) or fed back to the power train via belted alternator start device or flywheel motor.
In addition to the turbo M/G there needs to be a motor controller phasing 3-phase power to the stator: think about 18 poles of stator acting on a 2-pole rotor spinning 150kRPM. That means the controller is making decisions over 1 million times per second (MHz).
The latest breakthroughs in solid state electronics are slowly making this a reality. The major hold back right now is system cost per % improvement fuel economy on the commercial side. With the stricter heavy truck fuel economy legislation taking effect in 2017-2025, you'll start to see this stuff popping up.
I know a little bit about this topic
jamma10
6/27/2013 1:07am
Its just been announced that Webber is leaving F1 at the end of this season.

Who will take his spot at Redbull, Raikkonen?
ocscottie
6/27/2013 1:38am
jamma10 wrote:
Its just been announced that Webber is leaving F1 at the end of this season.

Who will take his spot at Redbull, Raikkonen?
Hey Ben, this has been in the rumor mill for awhile now, but for some reason, call it a "gut feeling" i see a driver moving up from the Toro Rosso outfit. I am thinking perhaps JEV? (Jean Eric Vergne) Guess only tie will tell.

I am a big Web fan, but lets face facts, he has underperformed, His absolutely dreadful starts when the lights go out and the green flag drops really leaves me confused. Once or twice, ok;..but for it to happen over and over....unacceptable at that level.

Sure gives us some great silly season debates in the very near future Cool
ocscottie
6/27/2013 1:40am
Full article from AutoSport:

Mark Webber has announced that he will leave Formula 1 at the end of the season to join Porsche's new LMP1 sportscar programme.

The Australian's decision leaves the second Red Bull seat alongside world champion Sebastian Vettel available for 2014, with Kimi Raikkonen already strongly linked to the drive.

Webber was first linked to Porsche earlier this season. He drove in sportscars with Mercedes in 1998-99 before returning to single-seaters in Formula 3000 and joining F1 with Minardi in 2002.

After spells at Jaguar and Williams, he joined Red Bull from 2008. He became a race-winner and title contender with the team, but was unable to match team-mate Vettel's success rate and had a turbulent relationship with the German, exemplified by Vettel's famous disregard of team orders at this year's Malaysian Grand Prix.

"It's an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team," said Webber.

"Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level.

"I'm very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sportscars in the world."

Webber joins Neel Jani, Romain Dumas and Timo Bernhard among the first drivers signed for Porsche's LMP1 programme, which will be its first assault on outright Le Mans 24 Hours honours since its 1998 triumph.

Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche's board member for research and development, said the firm was thrilled to get Webber on board.

"I'm very pleased to have secured Mark Webber for our LMP1 project as one of the best and most successful Formula 1 pilots of our time," said Hatz.

"Mark is without doubt one of the world's best race drivers, he has experience at the Le Mans 24 hour race and on top of that he's been a Porsche enthusiast for many years."

Porsche LMP1 programme chief Fritz Enzinger added: "I learned to appreciate Mark's qualities when we were both involved in Formula 1.

"He is one of the best pilots I could imagine for our team. I'm absolutely delighted that we have such an experienced and fast regular driver onboard from 2014."
kev371
6/27/2013 4:49am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2013 5:08am
It really would of been a surprise if he had of stayed in it for another year. The writing was on the wall after malaysia on how the team felt. And i hope he has alot of seccess in the endurence racesb but It will also open the door on mark doing a lot of adventure races and MTB/cycling around here and Europe.
ocscottie
6/27/2013 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2013 3:44pm
@adamcooperf1 Christian Horner says @AussieGrit rang him at 9am today with the news that he was off to Porsche, and that was the first he knew

@adamcooperf1 Asked about if RBR wants a young driver or an experienced Finn next year Horner said he just wants a fast driver...

~edit~ @adamcooperf1 C Horner: "The guys at the factory are a bit more disappointed that they read it on the internet rather than heard something direct"

WOW! thats kinda fucked up...i thought Web had a lot more respect than that?

HERE is the article on Adams blog about the Web deal.

If you dont follow Adam Cooper, or read his blog, you should! really good stuff! http://adamcooperf1.com/

Damn its gonna be a BUSY weekend. F1, MX, GPMX, MotoGp, NASCAR....and i think there is also a UFC fight?
ocscottie
6/27/2013 3:40pm
OH BTW: the F1 race here is being broadcast live on CNBC Sunday morning 4:30am PST

Looks like the Tour De France is throwing a monkey wrench into our F1 racing! i dont even think that Quali's are gonna be live! Blink Ill prob jsut watch on SkySport stream.

Ill prob make an official SilverstoneGP F1 thread later, though it doesnt seem like there is many people left that even follow it here anymore. The Non moto section has become a friggen joke. Blink
Barrett57
6/27/2013 3:48pm
I'm glad webber going back to sportscar racing to be honest, I hope porsche and toyota can knock the hell out of Audi next year.
yz414
6/27/2013 4:05pm
im not sure how i would feel if kimi moved to RBR, i kinda like him as the dark horse and lotus fits that. although i would like him to be up challenging for wins more often.
yz414
6/27/2013 4:07pm
ocscottie wrote:
OH BTW: the F1 race here is being broadcast live on [b]CNBC[/b] Sunday morning 4:30am PST Looks like the Tour De France is throwing a monkey...
OH BTW: the F1 race here is being broadcast live on CNBC Sunday morning 4:30am PST

Looks like the Tour De France is throwing a monkey wrench into our F1 racing! i dont even think that Quali's are gonna be live! Blink Ill prob jsut watch on SkySport stream.

Ill prob make an official SilverstoneGP F1 thread later, though it doesnt seem like there is many people left that even follow it here anymore. The Non moto section has become a friggen joke. Blink
i would follow it if i could watch the races live. i always have to avoid non-moto to avoid spoilers
ocscottie
6/27/2013 5:00pm
You dont ever watch the SkySports streams? they kickass!!!

Bookmark this: http://www.vipboxonline.eu/sports/formula-1.html

**you can adjust the time at the top right of the page to your time zone.

You will want to use a safe browser w/ a pop up blocker (Firefox or Chrome) shoot me a PM or email if you want help ocscottie at hotmail.com

Im also on twitter a lot, prob more than here nowadays, hit me up if you are, click the -OC in my sig. Always cool to have more F1 fans.
ocscottie
6/27/2013 5:33pm
DOH! i also forgot to add the Tour De France to my list of sporting activities this weekend.

Damn it is hard work being a rabid sports fan! Woohoo

hmmm wonder what the over/under is on how many RB's i consume this weekend Dizzy

..and to top it off, its gonna be WELL OVER 100 degrees all weekend long up here, they are saying 115 by Monday. (and its actually hotter here at my place than what the weather reports....FML!)

Post a reply to: 2014 Formula 1 ERS

The Latest