'20/21 NBA Season

APLMAN99
2/19/2021 4:09pm
ocscottie wrote:
You two need to get a room, my gawd! :blink: Get this, The Warriors are trash in the West right? Well they have the same record...
You two need to get a room, my gawd! Blink

Get this, The Warriors are trash in the West right? Well they have the same record as the Bucks in the east, imagine that. The West is just stacked so deep, and we do kinda suck, especially our bench! Bucks just lost 5 in a row.

btw Gary, Kelly has been playing REALLY well, complete turn around from earlier in the season.
Yeah, strange things can happen. Based on just the overall record the Nets would currently be 6th seed in the West, but are on a road trip where they have won 5 in a row including 3 of the West teams that are currently in playoff positions 2, 5, and 7.

And without Kevin Durant for most of the road trip!

I guess that's why they play the games instead of just declaring a winner, right?!?!?!?!?!?

Cool
Crush
2/19/2021 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2021 4:48pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Using titles as the major factor means that Robert Horry was a greater player than either Jordan or James.....!
I mean there is absolutely some causality... there are only 5 players on the court... but Wilt is the best example of why it being a team sport matters.

Or you can even go Shaq in the modern era.... and Michael in his early years. All of those guys are basically do whatever they want, but didn't win without a really good team around them...

And a step further, I think it's weird how little the opponents are referenced in any of these debates... Most people seem to look at the record books and dismiss the team played or performance by the players.

LBJ is 4 & 6 but underdog in 6 of those finals... By performances, best to worst,
2017 Finals he goes 34, 12 and 10, on 56% and get a gentleman's sweep...
2015 is 36, 13 & 9 on 40%, loss...
2018 us 34 10 & 9 on 53%, loss....

1996 MJ goes 27, 5 and 4 and the Bulls win 4 to 2. They had three stars and a heck of a team to Seattle's two.

Context is huge but people don't really dig down, they just go 6-0 who cares.

Crush
2/19/2021 4:46pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yeah, strange things can happen. Based on just the overall record the Nets would currently be 6th seed in the West, but are on a road...
Yeah, strange things can happen. Based on just the overall record the Nets would currently be 6th seed in the West, but are on a road trip where they have won 5 in a row including 3 of the West teams that are currently in playoff positions 2, 5, and 7.

I guess that's why they play the games instead of just declaring a winner, right?!?!?!?!?!?

Cool
Nets record vs .500 teams is great too... With the weirdest caveat of being both the highest rated offence and worst ever defence in league history.

That's why I'm still not buying for the finals, because the game will slow up, and I still think you can question Durant and Harden when the pressure is super high.
APLMAN99
2/19/2021 5:16pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yeah, strange things can happen. Based on just the overall record the Nets would currently be 6th seed in the West, but are on a road...

Cool
Crush wrote:
Nets record vs .500 teams is great too... With the weirdest caveat of being both the highest rated offence and worst ever defence in league history...
Nets record vs .500 teams is great too... With the weirdest caveat of being both the highest rated offence and worst ever defence in league history.

That's why I'm still not buying for the finals, because the game will slow up, and I still think you can question Durant and Harden when the pressure is super high.
I don't think that the Nets can play the way that they have this past week or so consistently with all of the 'big three' active. I've been more critical of Kyrie than Durant and Harden but either way they just seem to play down whenever all three are playing for more than a game or two.

I think that if the Nets don't win the championship this year, it will be as big or bigger of a disaster than the Garnett/Pierce debacle. Personally I think that they should have continued with the Kenny Atkinson plan and slowly built a solid foundation there, but there's a reason I am not an NBA GM also.

I really wish that Dinwiddie wouldn't have gotten injured and they would have only added Durant, but the Kyrie thing was a package deal that has so far made the chemistry a little bit too turbulent on the court.

We'll see if they can figure out that they need to really 'gel' before the playoffs and like you said, the game slows down. If not, they may not make it through a first round.

The Shop

G-man
2/19/2021 5:23pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Gary, you really should learn to relax. You have just gotten offended and went off the rails over 2 people who happen to have a different...
Gary, you really should learn to relax. You have just gotten offended and went off the rails over 2 people who happen to have a different opinion than you and simply went into ad hom mode instantly.

Now, can you tell me exactly what about Michael Jordan's career makes you believe that he was truly 'greater' than Wilt Chamberlain?
Off the Rails?
Ha because I don't bother to read or write long diatribes of your BS? Never have never will. Where you guys find the time is beyond me. Do you get paid to do this, don't you have a job?

Oh and it's my business if I don't bother to engage your BS as at this moment I am in the hospital as my girl just had major colon surgery is in a LOT of pain as we are dealing with her cancer. Sad
APLMAN99
2/19/2021 5:37pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Gary, you really should learn to relax. You have just gotten offended and went off the rails over 2 people who happen to have a different...
Gary, you really should learn to relax. You have just gotten offended and went off the rails over 2 people who happen to have a different opinion than you and simply went into ad hom mode instantly.

Now, can you tell me exactly what about Michael Jordan's career makes you believe that he was truly 'greater' than Wilt Chamberlain?
G-man wrote:
Off the Rails? Ha because I don't bother to read or write long diatribes of your BS? Never have never will. Where you guys find the...
Off the Rails?
Ha because I don't bother to read or write long diatribes of your BS? Never have never will. Where you guys find the time is beyond me. Do you get paid to do this, don't you have a job?

Oh and it's my business if I don't bother to engage your BS as at this moment I am in the hospital as my girl just had major colon surgery is in a LOT of pain as we are dealing with her cancer. Sad
Yes, off the rails,.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, I honestly and sincerely wish her the best.

You are correct, it IS your business if you bother to engage in what I say. I'm surprised you felt the need to respond to my post about Wilt in the first place with all that you have going on, especially since it wasn't a quote of any of your posts.

Hoping for your girlfriend's complete recovery and that her pain subsides as quickly as possible.

Crush
2/19/2021 5:44pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don't think that the Nets can play the way that they have this past week or so consistently with all of the 'big three' active...
I don't think that the Nets can play the way that they have this past week or so consistently with all of the 'big three' active. I've been more critical of Kyrie than Durant and Harden but either way they just seem to play down whenever all three are playing for more than a game or two.

I think that if the Nets don't win the championship this year, it will be as big or bigger of a disaster than the Garnett/Pierce debacle. Personally I think that they should have continued with the Kenny Atkinson plan and slowly built a solid foundation there, but there's a reason I am not an NBA GM also.

I really wish that Dinwiddie wouldn't have gotten injured and they would have only added Durant, but the Kyrie thing was a package deal that has so far made the chemistry a little bit too turbulent on the court.

We'll see if they can figure out that they need to really 'gel' before the playoffs and like you said, the game slows down. If not, they may not make it through a first round.
Yep agree... Was actually loving the context of the NBA before that trade. Lots of duos, teams were working on defense and schemes... and now this.

The only good thing to come out of it is LaVert's cancer being found.

And I really don't get it from Durant's POV. They were a potentially GREAT team as they were, really truly. Two massive scoring threats with two sub threats, a dominant young centre and a solid back up and a deep bench.

Harden is Harden, I get it, but they could have won either way, and to me, winning as they were means more than winning now. If they do, each of his titles his team were stacked, no ifs and buts about it.

Just like leaving the Thunder, he's taken the easy way out. All titles aren't equal, and his are or maybe will be some of the most unbalanced.

APLMAN99
2/19/2021 5:50pm
Crush wrote:
Yep agree... Was actually loving the context of the NBA before that trade. Lots of duos, teams were working on defense and schemes... and now this...
Yep agree... Was actually loving the context of the NBA before that trade. Lots of duos, teams were working on defense and schemes... and now this.

The only good thing to come out of it is LaVert's cancer being found.

And I really don't get it from Durant's POV. They were a potentially GREAT team as they were, really truly. Two massive scoring threats with two sub threats, a dominant young centre and a solid back up and a deep bench.

Harden is Harden, I get it, but they could have won either way, and to me, winning as they were means more than winning now. If they do, each of his titles his team were stacked, no ifs and buts about it.

Just like leaving the Thunder, he's taken the easy way out. All titles aren't equal, and his are or maybe will be some of the most unbalanced.

1000% agree about the Levert catch. I can't imagine anyone not thinking the world of that kid and the trade may have very well saved his life. But I DO wish that the Nets' doctor had found it and that he was still in Brooklyn!

I think that the Atkinson thing just boiled down to NBA 'superstars' not wanting to be told to do things even slightly differently than they want to do them. And though there are differing accounts about his dismissal, I would bet that if the truth were fully known it had more to do with Irving than anything else. That guy can't even show a little bit of respect for what Nash accomplished, he certainly wasn't going to stand for being coached by a nobody like Atkinson!!!!
Crush
2/19/2021 9:14pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
1000% agree about the Levert catch. I can't imagine anyone not thinking the world of that kid and the trade may have very well saved his...
1000% agree about the Levert catch. I can't imagine anyone not thinking the world of that kid and the trade may have very well saved his life. But I DO wish that the Nets' doctor had found it and that he was still in Brooklyn!

I think that the Atkinson thing just boiled down to NBA 'superstars' not wanting to be told to do things even slightly differently than they want to do them. And though there are differing accounts about his dismissal, I would bet that if the truth were fully known it had more to do with Irving than anything else. That guy can't even show a little bit of respect for what Nash accomplished, he certainly wasn't going to stand for being coached by a nobody like Atkinson!!!!
Especially considering the culture and performance he’d fostered with that young group.

I’ve got no time for Kyrie at all. Hell of a ball player but a loser attitude and just doesn’t get it. mental health issues when it’s him and KD and now he’s talking shit, gtfoh.
2/22/2021 6:07am
Well that's the end of Ryan Suanders in Minn.

I liked him as a coach, but he obviously had some serious failings. I'm not saying they should have been hoisting the trophy year after year, but there's no reason for the sheer number of losses.

I feel like his main issue was setting lineups. Starting lineup had a lot of talent, but they didn't gel as well as a mix of the starters and the bench did every night. And he would keep just rotating the same squads all night when they would show some real flashes during lineup changes.
Crush
2/23/2021 3:56am
Well that's the end of Ryan Suanders in Minn. I liked him as a coach, but he obviously had some serious failings. I'm not saying they...
Well that's the end of Ryan Suanders in Minn.

I liked him as a coach, but he obviously had some serious failings. I'm not saying they should have been hoisting the trophy year after year, but there's no reason for the sheer number of losses.

I feel like his main issue was setting lineups. Starting lineup had a lot of talent, but they didn't gel as well as a mix of the starters and the bench did every night. And he would keep just rotating the same squads all night when they would show some real flashes during lineup changes.
Yep, all sorts of issues. You gotta wonder about Kat though. Like Embid, should just be bodying people, but you gotta think at this point Butler was right. He's soft. Had a terrible year personally obviously, but he was like that prior.
2/23/2021 6:06am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 6:07am
Crush wrote:
Yep, all sorts of issues. You gotta wonder about Kat though. Like Embid, should just be bodying people, but you gotta think at this point Butler...
Yep, all sorts of issues. You gotta wonder about Kat though. Like Embid, should just be bodying people, but you gotta think at this point Butler was right. He's soft. Had a terrible year personally obviously, but he was like that prior.
When you've only got, at most, 2 people playing defense at any one time, it's tough to get a W.

Then again, when one of those people is Jarred Vanderbilt this year, it's still fun to watch. I can watch him miss dunks and layups all day as long as I still get to see him go for loose balls.

I feel like the whole team should spend a week at the Jarred Vanderbilt school of "go-get-em-ness" to pick up a few pointers on not giving up every loose ball as lost.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
2/23/2021 7:37am
Crush wrote:
Yep, all sorts of issues. You gotta wonder about Kat though. Like Embid, should just be bodying people, but you gotta think at this point Butler...
When you've only got, at most, 2 people playing defense at any one time, it's tough to get a W. Then again, when one of those...
When you've only got, at most, 2 people playing defense at any one time, it's tough to get a W.

Then again, when one of those people is Jarred Vanderbilt this year, it's still fun to watch. I can watch him miss dunks and layups all day as long as I still get to see him go for loose balls.

I feel like the whole team should spend a week at the Jarred Vanderbilt school of "go-get-em-ness" to pick up a few pointers on not giving up every loose ball as lost.
I loved Flip but his son just didn’t do well as a head coach. Not a Towns fan any more. Just doesn’t always put out the effort needed to be great. He gets dumb fouls and complains too much. Jarred puts out lots of effort but he looks uncoordinated out there right now.
2/23/2021 7:56am
SKIDLID wrote:
I loved Flip but his son just didn’t do well as a head coach. Not a Towns fan any more. Just doesn’t always put out the...
I loved Flip but his son just didn’t do well as a head coach. Not a Towns fan any more. Just doesn’t always put out the effort needed to be great. He gets dumb fouls and complains too much. Jarred puts out lots of effort but he looks uncoordinated out there right now.
KAT is certainly not shining lately. I'm going to give him a pass this year though considering all the crap he's been dealing with. That illegal screen against Toronto last week, while tied, with possession, with 47 seconds to go has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen lately though.

I'd like to see what him and D'Lo could actually manage together if they can ever manage to both be off the injury list at the same time. I'm interested to see what Finch does right off the bat. Hopefully not more of the same.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
2/23/2021 9:44am
I do miss Rose and Butler
2/23/2021 10:17am
I am very optimistic about Edwards and apparently there are strict orders from above that even the thought of trading him is not to be entertained. So that gives me hope that the best days are still ahead.
G-man
2/23/2021 11:15am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 11:17am
Suns are rolling again after letting Brooklyn off the hook 4 games ago. Smile

https://arizonasports.com/story/2554389/suns-cut-head-off-snake-as-devi…

Portland is tough and Damian was hard to handle in the first half, but we came back and had our second BLOWOUT in a row.

24 3 pointers!

Turns out the Chris Paul trade is the best move we made since we stole Nash BACK from Dallas. At 35 he and Book are playing at All Star level.

Fox88
Fantasy
35th
2/23/2021 2:06pm
I think I jinxed the Rockets with my last post bragging about their winning streak.... think they went ahead and lost the next 8?! They seem to be headed towards tank-ville... Released Cousins despite having no healthy bigs... However, he is painful to watch now, he moves in slow motion and can't seem to play anywhere near his size in the paint. Talk of PJ Tucker going too... It's never easy being a Houston fan! Grinning
Crush
2/24/2021 1:16am
Fox88 wrote:
I think I jinxed the Rockets with my last post bragging about their winning streak.... think they went ahead and lost the next 8?! They seem...
I think I jinxed the Rockets with my last post bragging about their winning streak.... think they went ahead and lost the next 8?! They seem to be headed towards tank-ville... Released Cousins despite having no healthy bigs... However, he is painful to watch now, he moves in slow motion and can't seem to play anywhere near his size in the paint. Talk of PJ Tucker going too... It's never easy being a Houston fan! Grinning
I think you gotta give Boogie more time. He had so long off after injury and wasn't super mobile before. He's not Gasol!
G-man
2/24/2021 9:02am
Book was snubbed once again for the All Star game which has turned into a popularity contest by the ignorant fans.

Last year he was put in AFTER Lillard was injured. Only time of his six year career.
Guess scoring 70 against Boston a few years ago and averaging 25 pts a game this year as well as carrying a young team on his back for 4 of 6 years of his career isn't enough. Angry

peelout
2/24/2021 9:22am
to be fair the West team is stacked, the only player i would say to leave out would be Paul George or Zion Williamson. the rest of them i don't see Booker as being above/better.
Fox88
Fantasy
35th
2/24/2021 11:34am
Lillard is a stone cold killer, hard to put Booker in front of him.. I still have nightmares of his last second shot against the Rockets in the playoffs a few years ago!
G-man
2/24/2021 2:25pm
peelout wrote:
to be fair the West team is stacked, the only player i would say to leave out would be Paul George or Zion Williamson. the rest...
to be fair the West team is stacked, the only player i would say to leave out would be Paul George or Zion Williamson. the rest of them i don't see Booker as being above/better.
Yea I'm probably just PO'd at the fact in Bookers 6 yr career he has never been selected for the All Star team more due to the fact the Suns haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. That's about to change though. Smile

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo
·
Devin Booker is averaging 24.7 PPG and was not selected to the All-Star game. It would be his 3rd season averaging 24 PPG without being selected to the All-Star game, the most in NBA history. (Among qualified seasons only)

Regarding George he is in a limited min schedule per game so that kinda suks and he doesn't even want an All Star game this year.

and yea Fox88 after watching Lillard the other night in the first half Lillard is a cold stone killer and I was worried about the outcome. But we SHUT him down and Booker lit him up like a Christmas tree in the 2nd half for a BLOWOUT. Cheerful

Not usually a Steven A Smith fan but I like this!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNNpqmB0UU

peelout
2/24/2021 3:05pm
SHOULD he be an All-star? Absolutely. dude is a baller, big fan here.

APLMAN99
2/24/2021 4:52pm
peelout wrote:
to be fair the West team is stacked, the only player i would say to leave out would be Paul George or Zion Williamson. the rest...
I hadn't really looked at how George was playing this year, but his numbers are pretty damn impressive as well. In fact, looking at the 2 guys you mentioned and it's hard to leave either of them off either. I'd say that they would stay because they are 'forwards' as opposed to guards? As mentioned, the only other person I could see to drop for Booker would be Paul, but his assist numbers certainly make the case for him as well.

There are just a lot of really good guards out there right now, it seems.

ocscottie
2/24/2021 5:58pm
Im sure you all saw by now that Booker got the spot in the All Star game, in place of AD.
ocscottie
2/24/2021 6:00pm
Crush wrote:
When you've only got, at most, 2 people playing defense at any one time, it's tough to get a W. Then again, when one of those...

SKIDLID wrote:
I loved Flip but his son just didn’t do well as a head coach. Not a Towns fan any more. Just doesn’t always put out the...
Sorry bro, but i need the T'wolves to finish dead last, that gives GSW a 60% chance to get their lottery pick if it falls below the 3rd pick.
G-man
2/24/2021 6:12pm
ocscottie wrote:
Im sure you all saw by now that Booker got the spot in the All Star game, in place of AD.
Yes that pencil-necked-geek Silver heard me bitching and moaning from the Valley of the Scorching SUN! Woohoo

I usually don't even watch the nba All Star game but with two Suns in the backcourt I might just turn it on. Cool

Seems so long ago when we had three in the game--Nash, Amare and Marion.
That was a fun team to watch.
peelout
2/25/2021 6:32pm
Love when Lebron comes to town, pretty much a guarantee win. His lack of wins in Utah is pretty wild
G-man
2/25/2021 7:19pm
peelout wrote:
Love when Lebron comes to town, pretty much a guarantee win. His lack of wins in Utah is pretty wild
Haha Love it, Laughing the Jazz are playing the best in the league!!!!!

Meanwhile last night we were robbed by the refs!
Time running out and Book goes up for a 3 and was clearly fouled which would have meant three free throws to tie the game, no call! 🤬👺👹

https://youtu.be/JhpOOjmg1U4

Shouldn't have been put in that position, once again we had a 17 point lead and started coasting don't know what is this this team when they get a big lead.

Oh and the younger Ball brother that boy can ball!! Woohoo

And he's rookie I don't know about the other rookies so far but from what I saw he should be a definite candidate for rookie of the year.
He looks much better than his older brother. Handles the ball really good with a lot of confidence and made some 3 point daggers!

That team is better than their record shows.

Post a reply to: '20/21 NBA Season

The Latest