168,000 homeless in California, Oregon and Washington

NorCal 50+
This stat is incredible. 168,000 people should be considered an American refugee crisis. (Associated Press added up all the local tallies of homeless reported to US HUD.: 168,00 homeless even with employment)
This doesn't get much attention because it is considered a natural by-product of our meritorious economic system.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Homeless-explosion-on-West-Coast-pus…
|
11/7/2017 2:31am
Was just watching Capitalism: A Love Story last night, this post certainly rings true with a lot of the points he made through out the doc (we are in a similar position over here)
freeh
11/7/2017 4:15am
I never thought of it that way, but that does seem to be the case. So how about we NOT bring in any refugees from other countries until we get our house in order. Nah, never happen.
APLMAN99
11/7/2017 6:24am
That's a smaller number than I would have expected......
11/7/2017 6:35am
freeh wrote:
I never thought of it that way, but that does seem to be the case. So how about we NOT bring in any refugees from other...
I never thought of it that way, but that does seem to be the case. So how about we NOT bring in any refugees from other countries until we get our house in order. Nah, never happen.
Think that's the point, this is in order, as intended, not an accidental outcome.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
11/7/2017 8:44am
It used to be that if you were homeless, you had screwed up pretty bad- drugs, mental illness etc. Now you have people that are otherwise normal, even holding down jobs, but they are living in a car because there is no affordable housing. CA just passed a housing bill but I am not sure what is in it. I don't really know how to fix it, other than getting more low-income housing built.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/7/2017 9:13am
We have a similar problem here in some of the bigger cities , housing costs have gone through the roof and the costs of land and building just keep growing
Old-Man
11/8/2017 11:22am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 11:23am
Expected a higher number too..nationwide it's horrendous and gonna get a lot worse. it's coming soon enough
Anybody seen the Zeitgeist Movie on Netflix? explains it pretty good.

11/8/2017 1:30pm
We just bought some more property in California. Before we can build we will have to put a $30,000 paved driveway in to satisfy the fire department. Water and electricity will also be incredibly expensive. I can't wait to start paying for all the permits and inspections. This might contribute a little bit too the homeless problem.
captmoto
11/8/2017 4:31pm
We just bought some more property in California. Before we can build we will have to put a $30,000 paved driveway in to satisfy the fire...
We just bought some more property in California. Before we can build we will have to put a $30,000 paved driveway in to satisfy the fire department. Water and electricity will also be incredibly expensive. I can't wait to start paying for all the permits and inspections. This might contribute a little bit too the homeless problem.
I've heard 30-40K in permits before you even stick a shovel in the ground. I thought the road needed to be a certain width and overhead, turnaround if over 150'.
GIwasB4
11/8/2017 5:14pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
This stat is incredible. 168,000 people should be considered an American refugee crisis. (Associated Press added up all the local tallies of homeless reported to US...
This stat is incredible. 168,000 people should be considered an American refugee crisis. (Associated Press added up all the local tallies of homeless reported to US HUD.: 168,00 homeless even with employment)
This doesn't get much attention because it is considered a natural by-product of our meritorious economic system.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Homeless-explosion-on-West-Coast-pus…
How many Houstonites didnt have flood insurance? Add the number of folks there to the california number that don't have anywhere to turn. How many floridians are now homeless living in gov't supplied shelters?
BobPA
11/8/2017 5:24pm
We just bought some more property in California. Before we can build we will have to put a $30,000 paved driveway in to satisfy the fire...
captmoto wrote:
I've heard 30-40K in permits before you even stick a shovel in the ground. I thought the road needed to be a certain width and overhead...
I've heard 30-40K in permits before you even stick a shovel in the ground. I thought the road needed to be a certain width and overhead, turnaround if over 150'.
Why would you ever want to build there? You can have so much more for your money elsewhere.
11/9/2017 12:09am
BobPA wrote:
Why would you ever want to build there? You can have so much more for your money elsewhere.
We're in a pretty unique situation because nursing wages are so much higher out here than they were back home. Our wages are basically doubled and even though the cost of living is high, it isn't double what it was back in Missouri. We were able to buy four acres of avocadoes for fairly cheap because the land will require a lot of work to get it ready to build on.

The avocadoes will help a tiny bit to offset costs. When it is all said and done it seems to be a good investment. Houses in the same area that aren't on any land go for a million and we will be on four acres with avocadoes and other citrus trees all watered off one of the few legal wells in San Diego county.
NorCal 50+
11/9/2017 12:19am
captmoto wrote:
I've heard 30-40K in permits before you even stick a shovel in the ground. I thought the road needed to be a certain width and overhead...
BobPA wrote:
California has a lot to offer- it is an awesome place. Stick building is through the roof here though. I am getting ready to build or buy a house here, and I know it will be tough.
But here's something- I moved here from Maryland, which pretty much bends you over when you enter the state. I am fighting my second completely made-up tax bill from Maryland. They have a shitty habit of sending you crazy tax bills and making you prove you don't owe it. I left there six months ago and still trying to extricate myself from their insanity. I assume the economic load of the ghetto burbs and greater Baltimore (a third-word city) might have something to do with the state-sanctioned thievery.

Government mis-management is all over the country- you have to really think on your feet to keep your money in your pocket! They are all getting desperate to take every $$ they can.

Post a reply to: 168,000 homeless in California, Oregon and Washington

The Latest