HELP CR250

Edited Date/Time 11/1/2013 10:40pm
I have a 02 cr250 i have just rebuilt it and have had a pritty big acc and smashed up my leg pritty bad,so i want ne riding for 10 to12 months.my bike will be sitting in the garage for that time not getting used.will it ne ok for that time not being started?and is there anything i need to do to maintain and look after it while ot is sittim colecting dust?
|
8/2/2013 11:08am
fill the tank full of gas as full as you can get it then add stabilizer, then shut off the fuel petcock and run the bike till the carb is dry.
8/2/2013 11:10am
and leave the petcock shut off, thats all u gotta do and she will be fine, drain the old gas and put fresh gas in her when ur ready to ride and she will fire right up, then use the old gas for a chainsaw or something..
JH911
11/1/2013 10:32pm
Sorry, bad idea. There is a couple miss conceptions with your advice. First, topping off and adding stabilizer to the gas. While generally a smart thing to do in a small four stroke engine or lawn/garden power equipment, but in this case I would say no. Couple reasons. We're talking two stroke. Premix will separate when left sitting for long periods of time. Especially when transitioning through different temperature ranges ie summer to winter. No. Grabbing your front brake and pumping the forks is not enough to properly remix you gas. Gas nowadays is not what it was 10 or even 5 years ago. The best fuels are non ethanol fuels and race gas. Products like seafoam and stabil do not work. Yes, they prevent varnishing, but the fuel still goes bad. This problem is amplified by the fact the fuel is in a plastic gas tank. Plastic is porous and allows the octane and other good stuff in fuel to dissipate and seep through the plastic. Especially when exposed to Sun light. Black containers can help slow the process, but in warmer weather will speed dissipation due to attracting heat. Catch 22. Products like Star Tron and Phase out will stabilize your fuel and help keep it fresh, but for a limited time in a plastic container. Your best move is drain the tank completely into a metal container and treat with a product like Star Tron or Phase out to keep it fresh and your octane numbers where they should be. Store in a temperature controlled shop/garage and out of direct sunlight. You can mix with your lawnmower gas if you don't want to waste it. Dilute it enough and it won't cause any issues. Or give it to a riding buddy. Turning the gas off and running it until it quits is another misconception. When you do this, you really are just running it until the jets in the carb can no longer siphon any more fuel. This still leaves a few millimeters of fuel in the float bowl. A small amount of fuel will spoil a lot faster than a larger amount of fuel. The proper thing to do is to open the drain screw on the float bowl to drain it completely. If condensation or rusting is a concern, then before draining the gas, remove the air filter, and spray fogging oil while running the bike until thick smoke comes out of the exhaust. Then drain the gas.
JH911
11/1/2013 10:40pm
and leave the petcock shut off, thats all u gotta do and she will be fine, drain the old gas and put fresh gas in her...
and leave the petcock shut off, thats all u gotta do and she will be fine, drain the old gas and put fresh gas in her when ur ready to ride and she will fire right up, then use the old gas for a chainsaw or something..
Sorry, I didn't see your second post, but what's the point of stabilizing a full tank of fuel if your going to let go bad and drain it later?

Post a reply to: HELP CR250

The Latest