MX Camps

XactSusp
Edited Date/Time 2/21/2014 10:51pm
What's up guys? Longtime lurker here at Vital, finally making a first post. I'll make it quick and then this noob will STFU and get out. I picked up the sport late in life about 3 years ago and am hooked. I have gleaned as much information as I can from online How-Tos, magazines, and from Gary Semic's DVDs; however, I am now interested in putting myself through some sort of MX Camp/School. I would like to learn the basics in person and get some good feedback from someone who knows what they are looking at.

May I ask for suggestions on an older-beginner-friendly camp/school that you may have gone through yourselves? Seems like most of the available information on the message boards is a bit outdated. I have been looking at Donnie Hansen's camp and Champ Factory (Tortelli's), but wanted to see what people thought about those and any others. I live in UT, but am often down in southern CA, and can travel anywhere in the west. Thanks!
|
XactSusp
2/3/2014 6:26pm
Thanks for the response, I'm thinking about wait-listing one of the local sessions. Thanks!
Tazao
2/14/2014 9:36pm
I met Billy Laninovich at A2 and he is doing private lessons for a pretty reasonable cost. I cant remember the exact cost, but I do remember thinking it was a reasonable. There are a number of people on here that could help you get in touch with Billy if you are interested.

BTW where do you normally ride?
XactSusp
2/14/2014 9:57pm
Thanks Tazao! I think private lessons may be a bit over my head as I am not looking to race competitively, but perhaps I am thinking about it wrong. I am really looking to build a good base of proper technique so I can be confident enough to ride faster but safer.

I spend most of my ride days at JROHV, Rocky Mountain Raceway, or at the indoor stuff during winter. I see you are in Tooele, I take it you ride the new Throttle 215 track? What's your take on the changes they have made?

The Shop

Tazao
2/16/2014 1:30pm
It sounds like we ride at the same places, except for the indoor stuff; so I'm sure I have see you around. I heard a rumor of an indoor place to ride and have spent a little bit of time looking into it but didn't find anything. Where is it? When is it open and what is the cost?

I have ridden throttle 215 at Deseret Peak a couple time and they did improve it a bunch but the infrustrucutre needs to be improved to do much more. If I remember right the county was not giving 215 full access to the watering system so by noon the track was really dry and hard, but it was sweet in the morning. From what I heard, this week, the county is going to manage it again this summer. I don't know who is going to do the prep work but I do know one of the guys in charge and he has been making a lot of changes on how the parks are run so I am optimistic.

As for the private lessons, I think Billy was only like $180/day with a maximum of 5 riders at a time; which seems like a steal to me. I have also looked into the Hansen camp since he normally does one in Utah every year, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I also know one of our own pros, Landen Powell, gives private lesson. I have ran into him and Jordan River a handful of times. I haven't ever asked him for advice except for bike setup, since we are almost the same height, but he is super nice and normally doesn't ride the nationals so he is available during the summer months.
XactSusp
2/21/2014 10:51pm
Thanks Tazao, that's all good info. That indoor series is run by Throttle 215 up in Farmington. I believe the last round of the season is next weekend. Practice on Thursday and Friday. Check it out on their website.

Post a reply to: MX Camps

The Latest